We need a dark theme for forum.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: FXLEACH.9436

FXLEACH.9436

Please give us an option to change the theme of the guild wars 2 forum to a much darker theme – one that isn’t so intensely bright on the eyes – this will be good. Please have this done by tonight. Thnx.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

You don’t enjoy reading print off a lightbulb?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The ‘brightness’ has been toned down since inception. I doubt it will be addressed again, especially not ‘done by tonight’. Lol.

Posted by: Aetheldrake.6395

Aetheldrake.6395

ya, an option to change it to a darker color, perhaps negative version? black background and white letters, would be interesting

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Try adjusting the brightness of your computer screen.

FXLEACH.9436

The ‘brightness’ has been toned down since inception. I doubt it will be addressed again, especially not ‘done by tonight’. Lol.

It’s brightness, not ‘brightness’. Something can’t be change since an inception – as the inception is the beginning – perhaps you meant the bright white colour of the forum has been made less bright after the forums were created. I assume that’s what you were trying to say. I am not interested if you doubt it will be addressed again. I am interested in Anet listening to their players and giving them an option for a darker, more eye-friendly theme on the GW2 forums.

FXLEACH.9436

Try adjusting the brightness of your computer screen.

Thank you but no thank you. I am asking for an optional darker theme. I will await Anet’s response.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

And I doubt suggesting it be ‘done by tonight’ is ludicrous. But, good luck on your suggestion, regardless. An hour and a half to go….

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Well yeah the done by tonight thing…I’m sure everyone wants to come in on weekends and work overtime to offer a new forum theme. lol

FXLEACH.9436

Hey if they’re passionate about the game and their players, why not?

Posted by: Faereilos.5106

Faereilos.5106

You can modify the forum’s CSS yourself with the Stylish addon for Firefox/Chrome. After installing it, go to the addons manager, find Stylish and click on the Write New Style button. Copy & paste the code below (took me like a minute to write it lol):

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document url-prefix(https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/)
{
    #content { background: #111!important;}
    #content h3 { color: #aaa!important; }
    #content .post, #content .title, .replies, .views, .list_header { color: #888!important; }
    #content .post a, a.topic, a.member.arenanet { color: #bbb!important; }
    #message_body_original { 
        background: #1a1a1a!important; color: #bbb!important; 
        border-color: #888!important; box-shadow: #000 0px 0px 9px 0px inset!important; }
}

And bam. Instant dark theme

FXLEACH.9436

Also please no useless posts in this thread. Thank you.

FXLEACH.9436

Oh my gosh, thank you Faereilos! I knew the code wouldn’t be too difficult, as I’ve done a bit of coding myself and switching colours is merely changing a few numerical codes. Thank you so much for the info and for putting that together, you’re a headache and eye saver!

Edit: So much better! I will share this with my buddies, thank you again c:

(edited by FXLEACH.9436)

Posted by: Faereilos.5106

Faereilos.5106

Glad I was able to help!

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Because the forums isn’t the game and probably has a different staff that works on it altogether. Or did you think the guys making the game itself are working on the forum? lol

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Because the forums isn’t the game and probably has a different staff that works on it altogether. Or did you think the guys making the game itself are working on the forum? lol

It’s also almost midnight in Washington state. I guess we could try to get them out of bed, but maybe this could wait till the morning.

Edit: time

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: myself.2143

myself.2143

Black background with dark grey words. now.

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

I know this isn’t entirely on topic, but LCD screens emit a “blue light” to make them look brighter and, well, better. For some people, like myself, it’s very tiring [used ‘hard’ but the idiotic filter didn’t like it] on the eyes and makes them easily tired and dry.

There’s a great free program called f.lux which makes the colours on your screen warmer at night (on a schedule and level of intensity you choose) to correspond with the decrease in ambient lighting.

It sounds like an old wive’s tale, and when you first use it you may wonder “wtf why is it so orange” but your eyes get used to it quickly and it makes a HUGE difference. I use it during the day as well, disabling it when I work in Photoshop or otherwise need to see colours “normally”.

Maybe someone else will find it useful. It’s free, and it’s at justgetflux.com.

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~

(edited by msalakka.4653)

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Black on white contrast is the easiest for the human eye to read, that’s why word processors use black text on white backgrounds, this is why we print on white paper. White text on a black background is horrific.

FXLEACH.9436

Msalakka, thank you. I use f.lux most of the time – I just find it silly that Anet haven’t given us the choice of a darker theme. Thank you for sharing the info on f.lux, it is great.

To the posters that just keep posting useless posts, please stop.

FlamingFoxx, you say a lot of things that sound try but you are neither correct, nor remotely near the truth.

" The opposite color scheme, dark-on-light color scheme, was originally introduced in WYSIWYG word processors, to simulate ink on paper.
There seems to be a dispute among vision and perception researchers about whether it is actually easier or healthier to read text on dark or light background; there is a similar dispute between users, when using each other’s computer terminals."

Enjoy your blazing white blue light damaging your eyes and interrupting certain chemical processes in your brain, this will occur both immediately and over time. Meanwhile myself, and others, are making the choice to create the best environment for ourselves. Discussion closed. Thank you.

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

‘’Please have this done by next year’’ is the more appropriate sentence to use.

Posted by: Pockethole.5031

Pockethole.5031

yes, forum looks like that hospital right now

Posted by: Guardian of Angels.9867

Guardian of Angels.9867

Please give us an option to change the theme of the guild wars 2 forum to a much darker theme – one that isn’t so intensely bright on the eyes – this will be good. Please have this done by tonight. Thnx.

I’ve heard you made a workaround-fix – maybe nice to share your new page of GW2?
Maybe the dev’s will get inspired by it if it’s fancy

aka Holy Blood Guardian
Guild Website: http://www.wtnf.net
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb07P-bW94jE3-mKHGToyOg

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Also please no useless posts in this thread. Thank you.

Hey bub, you started with a useless post. We’re just piling it higher.

You can set your own brightness, background and color scheme. It’s not hard.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

This was suggested early on in the games life. It wasnt something either they could do or were going to change im afraid. There was a dev response, but it was 2 years ago

Edit, just seen you have found a work round. Cool

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

adjust your screen brightness, ,read the forums in a lit room, and don’t read it in your bed with the lights off on your laptop…..

FXLEACH.9436

I’ll read when and where I want, however I want. A kind poster showed me a way to alter the theme of the forum rather easily, and it has been done. It’s a shame Anet won’t offer different theme choices however it is great that other people out there have recognized the importance of such things and have created ways for people to do so if they please.

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

wow look at that self motivation hooked on phonics kids dont have a thing on you. XD

one thing though, how will you ever see your black clothed character in dark black corner to create a black background and then use a dim filter to darken the screenshot to then upload to a black backgrounded forum waiting for black text responses of possible approval of your new character gloves?

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

Posted by: Moderator.1056

Moderator.1056

Since the discussion in this thread has derailed and is no longer constructive this thread is now closed.