We need a real answer

We need a real answer

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Xpiher.5209

Xpiher.5209

I just read Chris Whiteside response to all the complaints. It didn’t answer the main question. It doesn’t matter how many months is in between. What matters how you will

We are also working on other reward and progression systems for the game that tie into current and new content and features

incorporate that quote into the game. If you continue to add tiers of gear between ascended and legendaries you introduce gear grind treadmill. If Ascended is now the top level gear, and you don’t add anymore sets, people will believe you are keeping to your principals and will continue to support you. So we need an answer: Is Ascended Gear the end of introducing new tiers of gear into the game? Without answering this question, one way or the other, you aren’t pleasing anyone: those that love gear grind treadmill or those who want you to stick to your philosophy. If you answer it now, regardless of how the answer is, you will be saving yourself from a headache latter by avoiding a Funcom fiasco.

============================================================

PS: I’m sure most would agree that adding in further progression into the game isn’t a bad thing. Many would welcome more skills to unlock, and new story content that ensures access to future content. You wouldn’t be losing anyone if you did character progression a different way.

I also believe that if you used the ascended/agony system by just adding in new “runes” that allows you an easier time in future dungeons, people complaining about vertical progression and gear grind treadmill will be appeased as well, while those who like gear treadmills will be appeased by feeling more powerful in new dungeons that offer better rewards. The reason why I believe this is acceptable is because you aren’t gating content this way. You simply add progression to the dungeons, people won’t have to do FOTM to get have a chance in a new dungeon, they will have to do that dungeon more to have an easier time at it.

(edited by Moderator)

We need a real answer

Posted by: Snow.5269

Snow.5269

I just read Chris Whiteside response to all the complaints. It didn’t answer the main question. It doesn’t matter how many months is in between. What matters how you will

We are also working on other reward and progression systems for the game that tie into current and new content and features

incorporate that quote into the game. If you continue to add tiers of gear between ascended and legendaries you introduce gear grind treadmill. If Ascended is now the top level gear, and you don’t add anymore sets, people will believe you are keeping to your principals and will continue to support you. So we need an answer: Is Ascended Gear the end of introducing new tiers of gear into the game? Without answering this question, one way or the other, you aren’t pleasing anyone: those that love gear grind treadmill or those who want you to stick to your philosophy. If you answer it now, regardless of how the answer is, you will be saving yourself from a headache latter by avoiding a Funcom fiasco.

============================================================

PS: I’m sure most would agree that adding in further progression into the game isn’t a bad thing. Many would welcome more skills to unlock, and new story content that ensures access to future content. You wouldn’t be losing anyone if you did character progression a different way.

I also believe that if you used the ascended/agony system by just adding in new “runes” that allows you an easier time in future dungeons, people complaining about vertical progression and gear grind treadmill will be appeased as well, while those who like gear treadmills will be appeased by feeling more powerful in new dungeons that offer better rewards. The reason why I believe this is acceptable is because you aren’t gating content this way. You simply add progression to the dungeons, people won’t have to do FOTM to get have a chance in a new dungeon, they will have to do that dungeon more to have an easier time at it.

I have to agree that the “official response” didn’t do anything for me. I want a concrete answer. Why are we changing one of the founding principles of the game in the first content update to appease a crowd that will never be satisfied. It shows a lack of confidence in a vision the developers have been creating for 5+ years as well as breaking the trust of the fanbase.

You will never satisfy the gear treadmill/power creep crowd. Ever. As soon as they acquire the new loot, they will once again claim there is no endgame which the developers will respond to by adding more loot with better stats & it will never end.

We need a real answer

Xpiher.5209

I have to agree that the “official response” didn’t do anything for me. I want a concrete answer. Why are we changing one of the founding principles of the game in the first content update to appease a crowd that will never be satisfied. It shows a lack of confidence in a vision the developers have been creating for 5+ years as well as breaking the trust of the fanbase.

You will never satisfy the gear treadmill/power creep crowd. Ever. As soon as they acquire the new loot, they will once again claim there is no endgame which the developers will respond to by adding more loot with better stats & it will never end.

EXACTLY!! Interesting note: The thread was deleted by one mod, and restored by another with a different title. LOL (please don’t delete because I’m pointing out what happened)

We need a real answer

Posted by: Haette.2701

Haette.2701

Seriously, I just want a straight answer. If they say there’s more coming in the future, I can quit while I’m ahead.

If they say this is it, no more stat bumps ever, I can deal with one tier. It honestly seems like something that got cut right before release anyway. And then if they do add more down the road, I know their true colors and can get out as soon as news breaks.

Really though, I’m just as worried by the fact that they’re touting damage/resist as an “exciting new combat mechanic.”

We need a real answer

Posted by: Kathmandu.2417

Kathmandu.2417

Seriously, I just want a straight answer. If they say there’s more coming in the future, I can quit while I’m ahead.

If they say this is it, no more stat bumps ever, I can deal with one tier. It honestly seems like something that got cut right before release anyway. And then if they do add more down the road, I know their true colors and can get out as soon as news breaks.

Would you trust someone who lied to you once? About the same topic, actually?

This is the main problem here.

13th November. The Grind Wars begin.

We need a real answer

Xpiher.5209

I don’t trust their “its not our intention line.” I would trust them with a concrete answer. Until they give it, I have no desire to play their game or continuing buying $20-$40 worth of gems a month (I’m a gambler).

We need a real answer

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

I to desire an answer to this.

That answer will allow me to determine if I stay or cut my losses and leave.

What is happening is not what I signed on for and to my eye is contrary to the manifesto this game touted. I feel I’ve been given the bait-and-switch treatment.

I have 3 80s with almost complete exotics. Will I be reimbursed for my expenditures for level 80 transmute gems I used to get my armors up to snuff?

Why the secrecy behind this change? It reeks of deception!

Any Anet folks want to see what kind of asset they may be losing – run my accounts spending history from the gem shop. This fiasco has really upset me.

Please live up to your word as expressed in your manifesto and numerous interviews used to market this game!

signed, one seriously disappointed customer

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

We need a real answer

Posted by: Rojaha.4082

Rojaha.4082

The real answer is likely: If this ascended/infusion/agony thing turns out to be a mess and hurts the game financially or causes a noticeable drop in players (losing more due to this, than those lost for lack of it), then they won’t add any more content like it. However, if this is successful, or doesn’t negatively impact the game in a negative way, we’ll likely see all new content follow this route, in which each dungeon has a unique scaling debuff, and you have to obtain more and more resistance gear specific to that dungeon to progress in it – and possibly other different/new implementations of progression/rewards.

So… vote with your time and/or money. If you hate the new content, stop buying things, or take it a step further and stop playing. If you like it, then buy gems and play the new content. They don’t only care about gems, but people actively populating their game as well (noticeable drops in population make a community/game seem weak, and thus those who DO spend money are less likely to invest).

(edited by Rojaha.4082)

We need a real answer

Posted by: Haette.2701

Haette.2701

That is a huge part of it. Again, I can understand where they’re coming from if it stops here. I still have some small faith that it was an honest underestimation on their part, and it’s not like they could very well go back and take away exotics to deal with that. Maybe I’m the sucker here because I’m into dev myself, but I can’t help but think it’s all coming from good intentions in the end. It ain’t an easy gig.

I’m trying my best to stay in wait-and-see mode here because I want to make a reasonable decision about all this, but they aren’t giving me the opportunity. That alone says a lot and this move put them on terrible footing as is. At this point, no answer is just as bad as the answer I don’t want to hear.

(edited by Haette.2701)

We need a real answer

Xpiher.5209

The real answer is likely: If this ascended/infusion/agony thing turns out to be a mess and hurts the game financially or causes a noticeable drop in players (losing more due to this, than those lost for lack of it), then they won’t add any more content like it. However, if this is successful, or doesn’t negatively impact the game in a negative way, we’ll likely see all new content follow this route, in which each dungeon has a unique scaling debuff, and you have to obtain more and more resistance gear specific to that dungeon to progress in it – and possibly other different/new implementations of progression/rewards.

So… vote with your time and/or money. If you hate the new content, stop buying things, or take it a step further and stop playing. If you like it, then buy gems and play the new content. They don’t only care about gems, but people actively populating their game as well (noticeable drops in population make a community/game seem weak, and thus those who DO spend money are less likely to invest).

They need to give a decisive answer because they were wishy washy, and didn’t appease either crowd with the one they gave. All I really want to know: Is ascended the final tier, and will the Agony resist be required for future content or will each future content have it own resist mechanic utilized by the “Agony system.” Answering that question clearly will save them headache, because if some stay under one assumption or the other, and then they are wrong, people will be even more pissed than they are now. Don’t pull a Funcom ANET just don’t do it.

We need a real answer

Posted by: Skarecrow.7892

Skarecrow.7892

Could not agree more. We need a straight answer here, not one of “it’s not a treadmill, it is progression”. Just let us know if Asended going to be thee best of the best, top of the line for all time, or will they be adding in better stat stuff 3 months after you can get a full set of Ascended set? Letting us know one way or the other would get me out of this limbo of wanting to play/not wanting to play.

We need a real answer

Posted by: Chamone.6890

Chamone.6890

I agree. We were told Exotic was the top tier, spent all our time and money getting Exotics, now we have to do it all again.

I will let them off once, but if anything comes along after Ascended I will immediately stop playing forever.

If they plan to add something after Ascended, tell me now so I can stop playing now and save myself the time.

We need a real answer

Xpiher.5209

I agree. We were told Exotic was the top tier, spent all our time and money getting Exotics, now we have to do it all again.

I will let them off once, but if anything comes along after Ascended I will immediately stop playing forever.

If they plan to add something after Ascended, tell me now so I can stop playing now and save myself the time.

Not only this, but if people play on the assumption that they were right, and it turns out they were wrong, you’ll have a bigger issue than losing a few 100 players. You’ll lose 1000s and have a bad reputation FOREVER!

Don’t pull a Funcom ANET, just don’t

We need a real answer

Posted by: Moderator.3964

Moderator.3964

As petitions violate our forums Code of Conduct this Thread is closed. Please refrain from behavior like this in the future.