in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

No patch until spvp tournament is over sadly

We need balance patch ._.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Rumor has it we’ll get a balance patch sometime this month, once the stupid PvP thing is over.

In other words, Soon™

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

The team is actively working on balance changes. You may have seen this thread about upcoming changes to WvW. The changes outlined in that thread were based on designer analysis, testing, observations, and on input from players. After it was posted, the thread then gathered a lot of valuable player feedback which assisted in the development and polishing of changes that will be rolled out in the future.

You’ll continue to see such threads here on the forums. At least one such thread is coming quite soon.

Game balance is a really important topic, perhaps the most important of all. So watch for threads on that subject and we’ll look for your input, feedback, comments, and suggestions.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

I’m all for the balance patch, but I’d like to note that it has come to my attention, moreso now than ever, that much of the community doesn’t know what it wants in regards to global, widely-accepted balancing that affects one, several, or the relationships between classes and the cascading changes that those balances make to pvp, pve, and the components thereof.

I don’t know how much of our input the devs value and accept for these changes, or what format this input has to be in to be considered fair and valid (and, perhaps, that could be a topic of discussion so we can tailor our posting regarding this topic appropriately), but I’d rather:

• not rush this patch
  • continue to vocalize the aspects of the game I am familiar enough with to see as strong or weak

And hope that the patch either provides a happy medium or the beginnings of one with iterations close behind to smoothen the transition.

We only get them twice a year. I can wait longer for one if it gives the game as a whole six months of relative peace between classes.

So yes, we need it. But let’s not hasten it.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

(edited by Azure The Heartless.3261)

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Azure — I admire your way of thinking and I think that level of thoughtfulness will give us highly valuable feedback. Thanks.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: BloodyNine.7504

BloodyNine.7504

The biggest thing that needs to be done, imo. Is separate balance for PVE, PVP, and WvW. So often changes that are a nerf in one game mode are a huge buff in another. While it would seem to make 3 times the workload. I would think you would be able to worry about balance less overall if these were separated.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

much of the community doesn’t know what it wants

Lol Azure. It never has known, doesn’t presently know, and will never know what it wants. The day the ‘community’ fully embraces healthy balance where at least one person isn’t kittened off, the world will end. It’ll just implode from shock.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Darkness.9732

Darkness.9732

The team is actively working on balance changes. You may have seen this thread about upcoming changes to WvW. The changes outlined in that thread were based on designer analysis, testing, observations, and on input from players. After it was posted, the thread then gathered a lot of valuable player feedback which assisted in the development and polishing of changes that will be rolled out in the future.

You’ll continue to see such threads here on the forums. At least one such thread is coming quite soon.

Game balance is a really important topic, perhaps the most important of all. So watch for threads on that subject and we’ll look for your input, feedback, comments, and suggestions.

I have 3k armor . Is this a balanced game in yor opinion?^
Just for info :I haven’ t bought hot couse of the unbalanced status.

Attachments:

(edited by Darkness.9732)

Azure The Heartless.3261

Better question.

Would you say not dying if you have 3k armor is balance?

EDIT : sure you got hit for 10k, but we dont know anything about buffs, debuffs, or any other external factors.

And by an attack as easily dodged as Kill Shot, no less.

Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: Chyanne Waters.8719

Chyanne Waters.8719

Yes balance change please not on the player, but on the creatures in HoT. For example Pocket Raptors attack in groups each one hits for over 1200 hp. That’s way too high for how fast they attack. I also have gotten hit from them after I jumped off a cliff several feet from the cliff face on my glider. I would understand if their hits were around 4-600.

I once was in Frostgorge Sound gathering I went by an Icebrood Quagan and he threw his spear at me I did not dodge but went in another direction to avoid it. The spear made a 90 degree turn just to hit my character. If that happens other places kinda not fair we are suppose to be able to avoid damage by being out of the way of the projectile which I was.

Add more mastery points in the world or let us use things like leveling tomes to purchase them from a vendor say like five tomes per mastery point. Some people like me are not good at those adventure things. The four just four for the story achievements is crazy. I did the title thing in Guildwars so achievements are not my thing here. Not sayin I will not do them here and there, but too many points locked behind them.

I also heard a really good idea for a new water mastery similar to gliding create a slipstream similar to the updrafts for underwater travel. Also all rivers and streams should push your character back like that one in the Forgotten City. I thought that was cool, but does make it impossible to gather in that location lol.

Rauderi.8706

Better question.

EDIT : sure you got hit for 10k, but we dont know anything about buffs, debuffs, or any other external factors.

It might be less the dying part than the 10,000 crit from an overpowered skill. :P

Coalescence of Ruin has been griped about in PvP for a while. The damage is far too high on a ranged, low-effort skill with a spammable cooldown. All of Rev’s hammer non-basic skills feel too overpowered, actually. Or, if they represent a new standard in play/counterplay, other classes need their weapons upgraded to match.

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Darkness.9732

Darkness.9732

Better question.

Dear Azure please read this and hopefully some dev will too.

You guys have no idea how many people didn’ t buy hot and how many people have actually quitted the game after buying hot for this unbalance game status.
Myself i can count at least 10 of my friends.
Immagine what will happen when games like black desert online and blade and soul are out.
What truly confuses me is that Azure I gave you evidence of a 10k shot saying that i have 3k armor, ( everyone knows that that skill is overpowered ) and you even attack me denying what i m saying?^ XD

I truly hope that devs don t share your same way of analyzing problems Azure.

Azure The Heartless.3261

Better question.

You guys have no idea how many people didn’ t buy hot and how many people have actually quitted the game after buying hot for this unbalance game status.
Immagine what will happen when games like black desert online and blade and soul are out.
What truly confuses me is that Azure I gave you evidence of a 10k shot saying that i have 3k armor, ( everyone knows that that skill is overpowered ) and you even attack me denying what i m saying?^ XD

I have no words.
(Read: I don’t feel like it right now)
Coffee break.

Posted by: Kamara.4187

Kamara.4187

Who is getting hit with the nerfbat? All I’m asking for is if I have to make big switches to ascended equipment there needs to be a “free vendor”…Please. These constant adjustments keep crunching my progress.

(edited by Kamara.4187)

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Azure — I admire your way of thinking and I think that level of thoughtfulness will give us highly valuable feedback. Thanks.

This is a common attitude around here, but, IMO, it’s actually the wrong one. It seems to be an issue of mismanagement on Anet’s part and I think it’s one of the reasons the forums tend toward negativity.

You don’t want to excessively knee-jerk, but endless deliberation on balance changes is every bit as counter-productive. Balance will never be perfect – it’s better to accept that and to iterate at a much faster pace than once every 3 months. It makes it less likely things will be overlooked for months to years on end (which has always been a problem in GW2) and would probably help mitigate player frustration while also keeping them engaged by shaking up the meta frequently.

Balance patches should happen at least monthly. And they should be more comprehensive than they tend to be.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Better question.

Dear Darkness,

what Azure is saying is that Arenanet needs to carefully analyse and make appropriate changes while a big factor of the player base have no idea what balance actually means.

You are a prime exampe in this case. That screenshot shows multiple things:

- for one, you have no idea how to give proper valuable feedback. Unless provided ALL the factors going into that “screenshot” it’s hard to draw conclusions.

- I quotationed marked screenshot because screenshots are almost never good feedback. They lack way to much information and are snapshots of events. You do not balance around snapshots

- it shows a very hard hitting attack. Yes, this warrants further investigation. It does not automatcally require rebalancing though.

Let’s now look at what this screenshot does not provide:

- data on buffs/debuffs for both targets as well as buff foods
- Gear dis-/advantage between both characters
- talents affecting the attack. Maybe that revenant was running Swift Termination (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Swift_Termination) thus maybe the issue is with the talent instead of the skill
- any random outside factors which the screenshot does not cover

Now after all that we can finally start looking at balancing the skill in respect to:

- how easy is the skill to land?
- how long a cooldown does the skill have?
- what type of skill is it? (Weapon skill, Healing, Utility or Elite)
- what range is the skill ment for?
- what added benefits does the skill provide? (does it provide de-/buffs? a combo field? a finisher?)
- what is the basic design of the class the skill got used on and does it fit this design?

Most if not all of those questions do not get answered by your screenshot. Providing armor values (which are likely a guess) and a damage number are vastly insufficient and do not warrent proper feedback. Thus at most what you can do is ask for the skill to get looked at.

I’ve been on the side of changing CoE on revenants since day 1. You can find posts to this end in my history. What you are doing though is screemin “nerf” based on vastly insufficient data. That is exactly something arenanet needs to stay clear of at the moment.

Azure The Heartless.3261

I don’t know. I think that attitude is common but, IMO, it’s actually not the best way to address balance and I think it’s one of the reasons the forums tend toward negativity.

You don’t want to over knee-jerk, but endless deliberation is every bit as counter-productive. Balance will never be perfect, it’s better to accept that and to iterate on balance on a much faster pace than once every 3 months. It makes it more likely things will be overlooked for months to years on end (which has always been the case in GW2) and would keep players more engaged by shaking up the meta frequently.

I agree with this.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that I am at all happy with waiting six months for a balance patch. In fact, its probably more irritating than anything I’ve seen as far as restructuring in the history of mmos.

All I’m saying is that the lesser of two evils is 6 month wait, get it right, versus 6 month wait, make things worse.

I’d prefer quicker iterations to the both of them. I’m just not certain how well the balance team would handle that.

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

Just to throw my support for reasoned, rational posts above, I absolutely do not want whole builds nerfed into extinction like turret Engi was. That was too easy too passive and OP at bunkering right? Good thing that style of play has been abolished

Ok seriously as a player who’s seen nerfs to my characters and experienced the aftermath of these changes before I hope Anet take their time on these.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

(edited by Aidenwolf.5964)

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

My Thief is covered in bruises and his bones are becoming deformed from countless breaks and sprains from 1hit aoe kills, unavoidable stumbles and smacking into indestructible skin/armor/shields/etc.
Many of my weapons such as sword and pistols are unusable and feel lonely. Death Blossom needs ground targeting like Vault so I can easier “watch the ledges” and have more control over my character, lack of Range Condi (and 1200 range) because Pistols only have it on AA and stealth and Shortbow has none on AA and Clusterbomb is too slow to use up ini pool. We have no Burn Condi and Condi Spvp Amulets make Thief too squishy to Hybrid making Diamond Skin unstoppable.
Vanilla Thief’s access to Swiftness and condi removal is extremely bad, Scorpion Wire doesn’t work, Impairing Dagger’s combo finisher doesn’t actually exist, Withdraw is an extremely weak heal, Venoms need to be more diverse and usable for more than just venom share builds and given new functions, such as combo fields, condi removal, stun breaks. Running a full venom builds isn’t possible without the same diversity glyphs, traps, meditations and etc get. Bandit’s Defense is a self-stun and can also miss moving targets easily. Visit Thief Forum for more Information or ask for a Guild Invite to “Teef.”

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

Posted by: Nausicca.6038

Nausicca.6038

Hammer rev in wvw.

Every wvw’er knows how grossly unbalanced rev is atm. It’s nothing new and it plagues wvw since HoT release. Hopefuly, Anet will tone down the dmg. And nerf banners at the same time.

VoxL, NSPPT

(edited by Nausicca.6038)

Posted by: Eolirin.1830

Eolirin.1830

I don’t know. I think that attitude is common but, IMO, it’s actually not the best way to address balance. It seems to be an issue of mismanagement on Anet’s part and I think it’s one of the reasons the forums tend toward negativity.

You don’t want to excessively knee-jerk, but endless deliberation is every bit as counter-productive. Balance will never be perfect – it’s better to accept that and to iterate at a much faster pace than once every 3 months. It makes it less likely things will be overlooked for months to years on end (which has always been a problem in GW2) and would probably help mitigate player frustration while also keeping them engaged by shaking up the meta frequently.

Balance patches should happen monthly. And they should be more comprehensive than they tend to be.

That’s a recipe for absolute disaster. You cannot do comprehensive balance patches monthly. It’s completely unreasonable from a development point of view. You can, and they are, do small tweaks to the bigger updates that’ll happen every quarter when something is completely out of line, but note, even those take time; you’re looking at weeks of examination, design, implementation and QA testing to roll out anything, even really simple stuff. If they’re doing monthly patches they never get the chance to see the outcome of their changes before they have to already be making more changes to be able to keep to that cadence, especially if they’re doing comprehensive changes. 3 months is already a very fast iteration cycle, if they’re doing bigger changes.

(edited by Eolirin.1830)

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

I’m all for the balance patch, but I’d like to note that it has come to my attention, moreso now than ever, that much of the community doesn’t know what it wants in regards to global, widely-accepted balancing that affects one, several, or the relationships between classes and the cascading changes that those balances make to pvp, pve, and the components thereof.

I don’t know how much of our input the devs value and accept for these changes, or what format this input has to be in to be considered fair and valid (and, perhaps, that could be a topic of discussion so we can tailor our posting regarding this topic appropriately), but I’d rather:

• not rush this patch
  • continue to vocalize the aspects of the game I am familiar enough with to see as strong or weak

And hope that the patch either provides a happy medium or the beginnings of one with iterations close behind to smoothen the transition.

We only get them twice a year. I can wait longer for one if it gives the game as a whole six months of relative peace between classes.

You would be ok waiting longer than 6 months for balance patches? Are you a PvE-only player?

Because balance every 6 months is really really bad for PvP. And to make it worse, the current state of balance is an absolute disaster (again, I’m talking PvP). You have pro teams rage-quitting live during tournaments (mid-game no less) because of the lack of balance.

Of course WvW is being hit just as bad (or worse) by the current state of balance, but it’s got even more serious problems at the moment (Deserted BL).

Posted by: Kam.4092

Kam.4092

Buff Guardian damage and hammer ._.

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

you are ready to reroll the next class and complain about skill x already? That dedication

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

Posted by: Kam.4092

Kam.4092

you are ready to reroll the next class and complain about skill x already? That dedication

wat

Posted by: Rome.7124

Rome.7124

I don’t know. I think that attitude is common but, IMO, it’s actually not the best way to address balance. It seems to be an issue of mismanagement on Anet’s part and I think it’s one of the reasons the forums tend toward negativity.

You don’t want to excessively knee-jerk, but endless deliberation is every bit as counter-productive. Balance will never be perfect – it’s better to accept that and to iterate at a much faster pace than once every 3 months. It makes it less likely things will be overlooked for months to years on end (which has always been a problem in GW2) and would probably help mitigate player frustration while also keeping them engaged by shaking up the meta frequently.

Balance patches should happen monthly. And they should be more comprehensive than they tend to be.

That’s a recipe for absolute disaster. You cannot do comprehensive balance patches monthly. It’s completely unreasonable from a development point of view. You can, and they are, do small tweaks to the bigger updates that’ll happen every quarter when something is completely out of line, but note, even those take time; you’re looking at weeks of examination, design, implementation and QA testing to roll out anything, even really simple stuff. If they’re doing monthly patches they never get the chance to see the outcome of their changes before they have to already be making more changes to be able to keep to that cadence, especially if they’re doing comprehensive changes. 3 months is already a very fast iteration cycle, if they’re doing bigger changes.

did you just receive a check in the mail from ANet?

What you have said is not unreasonable to understand, however the problem here is Anet refuse to communicate to certain community while over-communicate another community. WvW community were left in the dark since HOT released, this is after false promises and teases by Anet that major WvW was in the work. Then the news that the ex-WvW lead havent worked on WvW since March 2015, and then admitted WvW update were left out purposely for HOT release. For months the PvE and sPvP communities received updates, while WvW got NOTHING when pages after pages of inquiries were posted. Sorry if we dont want to be considerate of Anet, but how they treated the WvW community is flat out wrong, there’s zero excuses for what they’ve done.

Einlanzer.1627

Not it isn’t. Most mmos do balance patches bi-weekly or monthly, and that’s about the right pace.

Posted by: smitske.4912

smitske.4912

You can say its important but the actions contradict it, because there is a lot of imbalance and if you were serious about balance you would have fixed that before starting competitive play.

Balance is just another thing you missed the mark on with HoT and in all fairness I do not get how such a poor decision could have been made to consider HoT as balance patch while common sense would say that introducing so many new things can never lead to balance without some serious patching after getting data.

(edited by smitske.4912)

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

The team is actively working on balance changes.

This is my feedback:
You can’t have balance without build variety. If GW2 is to be balance Anet needs to start by making all the useless skills and traits useful, like the elementalist elites and overnerfed Ice-Bow, over-nerfed Engineers Turrets, racial skills, etc.

Then nerfing the insane amount of ccs like those on Guardian traps and Mesmers double Gravity well and shield stun, fixing core issues like Stability (it was working fine until Anet broke it and made it stack). Nerfing passive damage mitigation is also really important. Finally nerfing the damage on skills and traits out of line, like that Revenant hammer 2 hitting for 17k on a light class.

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

lol you guys serious with some of these responses? This is why they don’t like communicating with us.

Far more people agree with anet/azure type of attitude.

Azure The Heartless.3261

• not rush this patch

You would be ok waiting longer than 6 months for balance patches? Are you a PvE-only player?

Because balance every 6 months is really really bad for PvP. And to make it worse, the current state of balance is an absolute disaster (again, I’m talking PvP). You have pro teams rage-quitting live during tournaments (mid-game no less) because of the lack of balance.

Of course WvW is being hit just as bad (or worse) by the current state of balance, but it’s got even more serious problems at the moment (Deserted BL).

If you just looked five-ish posts up you might have seen

I agree with this.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that I am at all happy with waiting six months for a balance patch. In fact, its probably more irritating than anything I’ve seen as far as restructuring in the history of mmos.

All I’m saying is that the lesser of two evils is 6 month wait, get it right, versus 6 month wait, make things worse.

I’d prefer quicker iterations to the both of them. I’m just not certain how well the balance team would handle that.

Whimsical, right?

Also I almost never leave heart of the mists.

I also only have experience with the hardest hit classes in the meta at the moment.

And Im borderline furious with what theyve done to thieves.

So. Take what you want from that. I think that it would be worse if things were rushed. Common sense lends itself to that.

Posted by: Nausicca.6038

Nausicca.6038

So. Take what you want from that. I think that it would be worse if things were rushed. Common sense lends itself to that.

Worse than 18k hit CoR in wvw? 5k AA ? Yes, 5k. CoR doesn’t even do this in pvp. Can you imagine that? Even better, can you imagine a banner than can wipe an entiere zerg with its #5 skill ? This is wvw reality. Youtube “dragon banner” for fun. Or watch my vid for insane low risk high reward hammer rev gameplay.

It’s been 3 months now of this BS. WvW is bleeding like crazy, so many of my guildmates moved to pve or like me to pvp, where balance is FAR better ( in its current "bad"state) than wvw.

VoxL, NSPPT

Posted by: Ksardas.7381

Ksardas.7381

Please buff warriors Give him some new skills or something

Posted by: Reem.3578

Reem.3578

The team is actively working on balance changes.

This is my feedback:
You can’t have balance without build variety. If GW2 is to be balance Anet needs to start by making all the useless skills and traits useful, like the elementalist elites and overnerfed Ice-Bow, over-nerfed Engineers Turrets, racial skills, etc.

Diamond skin was once a useless trait like this.
need i say more?

Balance is not that simple- for example, the changes that made DS be that good are the healing that the auras give+protection, etc…
Some traits can synergize with others to the point they over-react to each other and create something really powerful.
When you try to balance, you have to try and think about the other things around it that might make the change unacceptable.

I can’t wait for the patch no matter what will happen, it’s gonna be interesting
I just want this meta to shift already, hopefully to the point that thieves are included in it… :P
The good things that i got in this meta is learning to actually play for fun and learn when to quit and go for unranked

Also, yay for communication!! \o/ you just made my day

“You judge too much with your eyes alone…”

And yes, i play [Teef] :)

(edited by Reem.3578)

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Meant to be 4 times a year now with PvP leagues.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Kamara.4187

Kamara.4187

Nerf’s are always ugly but to put WvW back into perspective we all know it needs to be done for the health of the sport and everyone’s play. Yes I call it a sport because the team aspect of WvW is what really connected with me. And in a very big way considering I never was much for pvp in the many years I’ve played MMO’s…till now.

WvW in GW2 is very special. Even female players like myself are crazy about it. Do you all have any idea how many MMO’s have “tried” to increase more interest in PvP over the years across its playerbase? Somehow ANET “got it right” (in spite of some flaws and changes).

The best that we can do is to remain fair and open minded and take all classes into consideration as tweaks are made.

For every special there needs to be a counter. No one class should have the “I win button”.

In my opinion there is too much condi along with ground targeting ( I have 2 guardians/dragon hunters btw). Players that can stealth shouldn’t have op spike damage. Damage over time yes, but not spike. I agree that all specials should be usable (ranger spirits come to mind. get rid of them). Players like tough battles and no one ever liked being one-shotted “no one”.

People don’t like to be gamed by stealth players either. Stealth is ok but lets be fair, no one should be able to always avoid death, and do huge spike damage.

No more flavor of the month builds, and no one build should be able to counter 75% when others are more around 25% with less usable specials and damage. If that’s the case then the class needs to be re-thought.

Most of all hacks need to go, and a “server only” broadcast/chat channel implemented. We may all be sharing servers but not just anyone can come help in WvW. A means to connect with people on our own servers is needed. Especially for the lower pop servers that need to call for reinforcements. I’m now on a tier 1ish-2ish server but I’ll never forget how hard we struggled to hold our place on AR, and it is them and those like them that bring the need to mind. /salute

That’s my 2 cents.

(edited by Kamara.4187)

Rauderi.8706

You have pro teams rage-quitting live during tournaments (mid-game no less) because of the lack of balance.

zomg, I want to be there with vials to catch the tears!

You’re right, though. Given the state of some classes, I’d be ticked if I had to wait several more months to get some necessary fixes. Monthly is unreasonable for design/production, but semi-annually is far too long. Quarterly is likely the best we can get for quality and timely changes.

Many alts; handle it!

Posted by: Liisjak.4509

Liisjak.4509

Balance patches should be done at least on a monthly basis after a major expansion that involves new classes. If your team can’t handle that, fire them…simple. They didn’t do kitten in 2 years anyway.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

We only get them twice a year.

Yes, precisely. That is the problem.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Unholy Pillager.3791

Unholy Pillager.3791

You have pro teams rage-quitting live during tournaments (mid-game no less) because of the lack of balance.

You’re right, though. Given the state of some classes, I’d be ticked if I had to wait several more months to get some necessary fixes. Monthly is unreasonable for design/production, but semi-annually is far too long. Quarterly is likely the best we can get for quality and timely changes.

Certain other games (you probably know or can guess which) do balance updates every two weeks. I really don’t think that an update every 30-60 days (even a small one to correct the most broken aspects) is too much to ask, especially if they want this taken seriously as an e-sport. The current state of PvP is ludicrously bad, and their failure to plan for a follow-up balance patch to correct the imbalances in elite specializations was a huge oversight. As has been said before, new content like that isn’t a balance update, it’s a reason to plan for a balance update.

Einlanzer.1627

Balance patches should be done at least on a monthly basis after a major expansion that involves new classes. If your team can’t handle that, fire them…simple. They didn’t do kitten in 2 years anyway.

Sadly, I don’t disagree with this.

I think the idea that 2-4 balance patches per year is adequate is absurd, especially when they’re almost always very small in scale and leave most skills and traits untouched. All this does is result in issues that persist for months and sometimes years on end. It’s not good for the game at all.

Anet simply doesn’t have this managed correctly.

Einlanzer.1627

lol you guys serious with some of these responses? This is why they don’t like communicating with us.

And they’re wrong. It’s counter-productive to move at a snail’s pace with balance changes. The game will never have perfect balance, and all moving slowly does is frustrate players by leaving broken things untouched for far too long and allowing gameplay to stagnate.

Posted by: Dave.6819

Dave.6819

Thieves and Warriors became extinct. i think that says it all what we need. bring my thief back to life! im tired of it being squishy as paper..

Thief prof. really needs your attention
#dyingbreed

Posted by: Infusion.7149

Infusion.7149

Better question.

Dear Darkness,

what Azure is saying is that Arenanet needs to carefully analyse and make appropriate changes while a big factor of the player base have no idea what balance actually means.

You are a prime exampe in this case. That screenshot shows multiple things:

- for one, you have no idea how to give proper valuable feedback. Unless provided ALL the factors going into that “screenshot” it’s hard to draw conclusions.

- I quotationed marked screenshot because screenshots are almost never good feedback. They lack way to much information and are snapshots of events. You do not balance around snapshots

- it shows a very hard hitting attack. Yes, this warrants further investigation. It does not automatcally require rebalancing though.

Let’s now look at what this screenshot does not provide:

- data on buffs/debuffs for both targets as well as buff foods
- Gear dis-/advantage between both characters
- talents affecting the attack. Maybe that revenant was running Swift Termination (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Swift_Termination) thus maybe the issue is with the talent instead of the skill
- any random outside factors which the screenshot does not cover

Now after all that we can finally start looking at balancing the skill in respect to:

- how easy is the skill to land?
- how long a cooldown does the skill have?
- what type of skill is it? (Weapon skill, Healing, Utility or Elite)
- what range is the skill ment for?
- what added benefits does the skill provide? (does it provide de-/buffs? a combo field? a finisher?)
- what is the basic design of the class the skill got used on and does it fit this design?

Most if not all of those questions do not get answered by your screenshot. Providing armor values (which are likely a guess) and a damage number are vastly insufficient and do not warrent proper feedback. Thus at most what you can do is ask for the skill to get looked at.

I’ve been on the side of changing CoE on revenants since day 1. You can find posts to this end in my history. What you are doing though is screemin “nerf” based on vastly insufficient data. That is exactly something arenanet needs to stay clear of at the moment.

It’s not just Swift Termination but Cruel Repercussion (in addition to a bunch of might stacks since CoR scales insanely) against light armor classes with 2000-2300 armor.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Cruel_Repercussion

“Cruel Repercussion (10s): Your next attack will deal 50% bonus damage.” (15 recharge)

CoR scales insanely with Power for a skill with 2 cooldown and 1200 range
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Coalescence_of_Ruin

Damage First Impact: 246 +(1.25*Power)
Damage Second Impact: 369 +(1.75*Power)
Damage Final Impact: 492 +(2.25*Power)

25 Might and you’re looking at an additional +750 Power —> +1,312.5 on Second Impact and +1,687.5 damage on Final impact before traits … that’s to a 2600 armor target ; against a 2200 armor target you multiply that by 2600/2200 = +1551 and +1994 respectively

It’s easily double that for critical hits.

Assuming you have Soldier’s armor with Berserker trinkets & Power runes (numbers from GW2skills):
2557 Power , 34.71% crit chance (+20% with Fury up on Herald ; +40% f you have rolling mists trait), 193% critical hits (plus ~2600 armor, 19K HP)

1st hit:1311 tooltip
2nd hit:1836 tooltip
3rd hit: 2361 tooltip

with 25 might turns into
1st hit 1696 tooltip
2nd hit 2374 tooltip
3rd hit 3053 tooltip

add +100 Power food & wrench (Superior sharpening stone)
1st hit: 1815 tooltip
2nd hit: 2541 tooltip
3rd hit: 3267 tooltip

When I tested using Herald + Swift termination + Sigil of Force, I was able to get 8.8K critical hits using zerker amulet on the light armor target (target golem – light) & about 5-7K on the medium and heavy armor target in the PvP test area with only 6 stacks of might (2525 to 2555 power for PvP). In PvP where 3 people standing in roughly a line is not common, it isn’t going to be as strong as in WvW where an enemy team greater than 5 people is very likely to have people standing in approximately a line. Plus if you have multiple guardians on the enemy team, Aegis basically means Cruel Repercussions will activate sooner or later.

Desolation (EU) → Yak’s Bend (US)
In your backline: Elementalist+Mesmer+Necromancer

(edited by Infusion.7149)

Azure The Heartless.3261

And they’re wrong. It’s counter-productive to move at a snail’s pace with balance changes. The game will never have perfect balance, and all moving slowly does is frustrate players by leaving broken things untouched for far too long and allowing gameplay to stagnate.

While this is true, If what is currently the league system is an example of Anet rushing out an event, I’d rather the wait.

Lesser of two evils, as I said before. I would vastly prefer a sweeping change followed by several frequent iterations of microbalancing to prevent the meta from becoming the horrendous creature it is currently.

All I want is something that works. I shouldn’t have to hope that after the balance patch the classes I chose to play will still be fun, rewarding, and capable in the class relation mesh. However they choose to get there is fine by me.

Half-month balance patches isnt working, but if leagues is any indication of large system changes implemented suddenly, I’d prefer they iron out the intricacies and take an extra month or two. I have other hobbies.

This isnt even about “balancing is too slow” anymore. That’s established. I’m looking for “What is needed for a release that ‘X class’ is not completely useless?”.

’Cause the only thing worse than having to take a hiatus while the meta is fixed is to come back and realize the meta has, in fact, become more two dimensional.

I dont know how the balance team handles their releases. That is why I suggested getting information on how feedback is accepted. Do they rush to implement changes as soon as imbalances are noted? Do they value our input at all, and test claims against the numbers they see on the pseudo-back end? If we had any inkling as to what they considered a reasonable suggestion and the format thereof, whoever is decent at X class could provide these suggestions and get the data ready for the balance team in a neat little package so that, whether or not they move quickly or slowly, the end result is something that works at least a little better than the past release.

It’s not about time for me anymore. Just get it to a working state is all I need.

Azure The Heartless.3261

bug fixing

/15pocketraptors

Rauderi.8706

Certain other games (you probably know or can guess which) do balance updates every two weeks. I really don’t think that an update every 30-60 days (even a small one to correct the most broken aspects) is too much to ask, especially if they want this taken seriously as an e-sport. The current state of PvP is ludicrously bad, and their failure to plan for a follow-up balance patch to correct the imbalances in elite specializations was a huge oversight. As has been said before, new content like that isn’t a balance update, it’s a reason to plan for a balance update.

I’d be quite fine with bimonthly balances. It smacks a bit of the dreaded “agile computing,” but persistent tweaking means more iterations to get each skill and weapon to where it needs to be.

Many alts; handle it!

Posted by: Fellfoot.8156

Fellfoot.8156

Please separate sPvP, PvE, WvW skills.
Thank you.

[AIR] Henge of Denravi aka Pink Abu, [BAMA] RollTide
chopping wood one day, dropped a piece,
all I could say was, “…fell…foot…”