We need this- a Bestiary and/or a Lore Book.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aerrin.5639

Aerrin.5639

A couple days ago while I was on /r/guildwars2 someone made mention on how the game
lacks profession lore and that it should have more. It dawned on me that s/he is right so I had
pitched this idea and my brother thought it was really good. I already bet A-Net has thought
about this and I’m sure they have better ideas but I will still put this out here.

We need a bestiary in game and a lore book. Something you can fill in yourself as you discover things.
Like, kill a monster a few times and you fill in the page about it with each milestone adding something
new. All those useless trophies that monsters drop can also be used for something rather than just vender
trash. With each trophy collected from a monster or animal you gain some knowledge about said creature
and that information is added into the bestiary. It’s something entirely optional but I’m sure many would love having more lore in the game.

The lore book could be filled in with things like snippets of ancient texts relating to the six gods, the old gods, the fallen god, etc. etc. You could unlock it by finding things in the world. Old texts and scrolls that then adds that data to your lore book or by talking to important npcs. It’s great and all that we can find some lore in the world but I’m sure many would agree that keeping track of it would be nice as well.

This would give people lots of reasons to explore and, to me at least, the lore itself is a reward.

There could be profession lore sections that you can unlock by talking to an expert on the subject. And
in my opinion there should be an option for skill tool-tips where you can have a concise description like we do now or switch it to a lore-centric tool-tip. (And still maintain the important
information like numbers and such.) Also, the story journal could be reworked to show the story that’s written in there to be more fleshed out like an actual book.

Guys, pitch in your thoughts and feedback and ways that this could be improved. If they add something like this and even if it’s walled off as a gem store unlock I would so buy this without second thought.
I am sure many of you guys would love to have something like this in the game! Let me know what you all think! (A red post would make my day)

(edited by Aerrin.5639)

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Love the idea. Let’s see what it does:

Pros:

- provides easy access to game lore
- allows optional reading for those “boring” moments when waiting on someone, etc.
- could be coupled with multiple unlocks per enemy type. meaning a new minor way for people to “farm” up something
- new sorce of achievementpoints (if so desired)
- an efficient gap closer between game lore, personal story, enemys, etc.
- lots of lots of cool anet game art!
- no real balance issues since it’s a voluntary side system not part of the gameplay
- not to hard to code
- new exploration incentives

Cons:
- the actual time of creating images (let’s hope for new ones) per lore entry might force the art department to run overtime
- all the text required would take some time typing up

That being said, make it happen! I think the pros far outweigh the cons. Never underestimate how much some people will go out of their way for cool lore. I highly doubt though that anet have the time for something like this pre HoT release, but maybe after alongside SAB or so.

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

I would love something like this.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

This is a cool idea.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I’ve seen this suggested for years now…. although I fully agree that something like this would be great.
Remember when we got all those lore tidbits during S2 in the Priory? A lot of players loved that. Being able to explore the world and discover and unlock new lore tidbit would be great. There’s a lot of areas in the game that look interesting, but simply don’t have any in-game lore around them.

Posted by: xXBurningEmberXx.6085

xXBurningEmberXx.6085

A couple days ago while I was on /r/guildwars2 someone made mention on how the game
lacks profession lore and that it should have more. It dawned on me that s/he is right so I had
pitched this idea and my brother thought it was really good. I already bet A-Net has thought
about this and I’m sure they have better ideas but I will still put this out here.

We need a bestiary in game and a lore book. Something you can fill in yourself as you discover things.
Like, kill a monster a few times and you fill in the page about it with each milestone adding something
new. All those useless trophies that monsters drop can also be used for something rather than just vender
trash. With each trophy collected from a monster or animal you gain some knowledge about said creature
and that information is added into the bestiary. It’s something entirely optional but I’m sure many would love having more lore in the game.

The lore book could be filled in with things like snippets of ancient texts relating to the six gods, the old gods, the fallen god, etc. etc. You could unlock it by finding things in the world. Old texts and scrolls that then adds that data to your lore book or by talking to important npcs. It’s great and all that we can find some lore in the world but I’m sure many would agree that keeping track of it would be nice as well.

This would give people lots of reasons to explore and, to me at least, the lore itself is a reward.

There could be profession lore sections that you can unlock by talking to an expert on the subject. And
in my opinion there should be an option for skill tool-tips where you can have a concise description like we do now or switch it to a lore-centric tool-tip. (And still maintain the important
information like numbers and such.) Also, the story journal could be reworked to show the story that’s written in there to be more fleshed out like an actual book.

Guys, pitch in your thoughts and feedback and ways that this could be improved. If they add something like this and even if it’s walled off as a gem store unlock I would so buy this without second thought.
I am sure many of you guys would love to have something like this in the game! Let me know what you all think! (A red post would make my day)

Already done. Anet made something magical called an achievements page.

Celtic Lady.3729

That doesn’t offer much in the way of lore at all.

xXBurningEmberXx.6085

That doesn’t offer much in the way of lore at all.

Yes lore is through the story quests. But the achievements show slayer things, weapon usage, etc.

Celtic Lady.3729

Yes lore is through the story quests. But the achievements show slayer things, weapon usage, etc.

That’s the whole point of this thread, though. To have more lore in the game via a lorebook/bestiary. The story quests don’t really tell much of Tyria’s lore from 250 years ago.

xXBurningEmberXx.6085

That’s the whole point of this thread, though. To have more lore in the game via a lorebook/bestiary. The story quests don’t really tell much of Tyria’s lore from 250 years ago.

True. It’d be tough though to make custom books for everyone telling of the psst 250 years. That’s a hella lot of lore and would probably take a while to flip through. I guess these insane lore hunters could use that though.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

This would be a really really cool idea

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

I always found it odd that parts of the personal story were never tied to your profession. We know the roots of some professions in relation to GW1, but little is known about how they evolved into what they are today. Especially the Guardian, who combines disciplines from Monks, Paragons, Warriors, and Dervishes, into one of the most cohesive classes every created.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

There was a lore book I believe before launch which they canned. Last time someone mentioned it, they said it wasn’t something they were looking to try and re-implement. It was hotly discussed during the CDI’s as well.

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Where I think this would be most useful is in dealing with NPCs and such. Often (especially during the PS) – the game seems to expect you to know an NPC really well when in reality your character had a brief 10 minute interaction with them 20 levels ago and you’ve done a bunch of crap that didn’t involve them since then. I’d love to be able to read NPC biographies.

Posted by: Greyhound.2058

Greyhound.2058

I have always thought gw2 needed one of these and am quite willing to literally force my money onto them in exchange for one lol

I imagine a gorgeous tome like my Tolkien Bestiary, huge and hardbacked and full of glorious full colour illustrations

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

True. It’d be tough though to make custom books for everyone telling of the psst 250 years. That’s a hella lot of lore and would probably take a while to flip through. I guess these insane lore hunters could use that though.

I’d imagine it would be unlocked as you experience new content, see new places, find books, tomes etc. scattered around the world. That way it’s delivered in pieces so it’s not too overwhelming.

I always found it odd that parts of the personal story were never tied to your profession. We know the roots of some professions in relation to GW1, but little is known about how they evolved into what they are today. Especially the Guardian, who combines disciplines from Monks, Paragons, Warriors, and Dervishes, into one of the most cohesive classes every created.

Exactly the sort of thing that could be added.

There was a lore book I believe before launch which they canned. Last time someone mentioned it, they said it wasn’t something they were looking to try and re-implement. It was hotly discussed during the CDI’s as well.

https://youtu.be/K4Wn4wAOZmQ?t=5m24s

I have always thought gw2 needed one of these and am quite willing to literally force my money onto them in exchange for one lol

I imagine a gorgeous tome like my Tolkien Bestiary, huge and hardbacked and full of glorious full colour illustrations

Hey ANet has some pretty talented artists, so all for it.

Posted by: Aerrin.5639

Aerrin.5639

Whoa, I didn’t think I’d get such positive responses from you guys