We would like Marionette back

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Faeyas.2816

Faeyas.2816

Please post below if you agree so that Anet can see the support for this

In today’s Live Stream the person running the stream asked me to make a post for content I want to return. I know you all have basically shushed this idea away and for the most part are not able to allocate resources to any old content ….

But we would really like the Marionette fight back.

This could be done in a few ways:

1. As a Lonar’s Pass World Boss, operated by the Priory for “research” reasons
2. As a guild event spawn (do we remember those?)
3. As a World Boss event made by Taimi’s Hologram software
4. Some people suggest fractals (the OP does not think this is the best solution as the original event was glorious mainly for it’s scale and head count requirement, but the OP would be willing to hear any suggestions for this if it means we get it back)

We know that you know we like this fight, because you have attempted to mimic it in a variety of new “Boss” fights like the Vine Wraith, The Octovine Dragon Stand, Gerent, etc. But we would like the Marionette back regardless.

The Brilliance of the Marionette was not only defending the line, but the division of players once inside the main arena, so that we couldn’t just “Zerg” the main boss at the end.

In Season One, there are a lot of aspects we know will be hard to re-do, but Marionette has such a perfect niche in Lonar’s that is already there, Lonar’s Pass does NOT have a world boss, and this fight was well loved.

A lot of people didn’t play Triple Trouble while Marionette was out, and waited until AFTER you removed Marionette to try (OP was one of these people).

This is a well loved fight and the community would really like it back please and thank you!

(edited by Faeyas.2816)

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Would love the chance to experience this fight.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I’m personally too for thre return of the Marionette, mainly out of Achievement Reasons and also due to me wanting to see finall Living World Season 1 getting as fully as possible reintegrated to the game.
Things like Mass Events, Invasions andBoss Basses that played within LS1 can be mostly reimplemented with the help of a new Fractal Type – Mass Fractals
Mass Fractals would work differently than joining a normal Fractal.

To join a Mass Fractal, every single player would have to enter first alone the normal Fractal Mode, which works basically for the player then as Lobby Zone from where you enter as a player a Queue that lets the chosen Mass Fractal start for you and like 99 other players that have queued up for the same Fractal as you – like the Marionette Battle, or like the Lions Arch Battle, or like the Scarlet Battle, or like the Gendarran Field Invasion, then said Mass Fractal, where you play together then with all these other people these big battles that are scaled and designed for a broad mass of players and not just only 5 people like a normal small scale Fractal is designed for, aka Dungeons 1.5 …

Hopefully ANet realizes soon, how much unused potential lies in the Fractal Mode – how many features and how much nice content can be realized with just this Game Mode, which can’t be done within just the normal game world of GW2.

Things like

• Heroic Fractals – special Bonus Mission Pack like Fractals that allow you to replay historic events of Tyria in a different character view over multiple chapters as either 1 Person Content or as Group Content of 5 People
  • Hunting Grounds – special Instances possible in a fractal instance, that are purely designed and made around the thought of farming and hunting big game monsters of large size in fitting huge maps kind of Monster Hunter Style designed for other 5 or more people
  • Dungeon Crawlers – special Fractal Dungeons, like a 100 floor Tower to do, which becomes more and more challengign so higher you get, which gets everytime you successfully do the 100 floors different as you enter
  • Trial of the Ancestors – a special Fractal in Lufia Style, where you get temporarely resetted to Level 1 and you need to find out of the Cave of Trials with just the gear you find in that instance, able to finde unique rewards there that you can get only there and is the only gear, that you can keep when you get out of the Cave, while everything else you will loose again when you leave that fractal.
  • Zelda like Solo-Dungeons (like letting this way return some of the older GW1 Dungeons this time as Solo Dungeons for players to explore, if things liek this have for ANet in the normal game world no place anymore, then why not as a fractal??)
  • Guild Crusades – special Guild only-Fractals which can be only entered as part of an activated Guild Mission – basically a smaller form of unique small scale “Guild Raids” in designed for this unique fractal scenarios
  • Battlegrounds – special PvP/WvW related Fractals which let players fight agaisnt each other there in different forms of PvP, which wound be under the current forms of PvP/WvW mode/maps not possible while being in the body of “somebody else” with completely unique different skills instead of playing your own character – basically a mode that is similar to Blizzards Overwatch – where you are just some kind of “Mist Hero” you can choose from who you want to be and play this content not as your own character.

The Fractal Mode is basicalyl Anets most universal game feature the game currently offers, but sadly Anet doesn’t made yet alot of usage from this feature to expand it further into different directions to increase the versatility of this game mode.
Too much was Anet so far only focused onto improved the rewards of Fractals and to make the quality of the existing Fractal Content bette,r but so far they sadly did nothing in those 5 years, to improve also the DEPTH of the Fractal gameplay, which is why I want to show with this posting once again, how much potential depth there lies in the Fractal Mode to make Fractals more versatile and in many different way fun, other than just always only doing the same fractal instances over and over repeating it 100x with just only increased difficulty and rewards… thats not really creative.

Creative is it to expand the fractal mode and make usage of the potential to broaden the spectrum of what exactly you can do all with Fractals aside of just doing always only the same things in them…
Here you have 7 different ways of how Fractals could be used also too differently to increase the content of GW2 – one option of them being the way in my opinion how the battle vs the Marionette should become playable again. As Mass Fractal beign basically the 8th option of my list here.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I suggest you remove your first line so this doesn’t get flagged as a petition post.

That said, hmm. I don’t know how hard/easy it would be for them to implement but I note one thing the community likely does not want back and that’s having everyone in the map killed if the event fails, even if they were just exploring. That part would have to go, especially if the best trigger method (imo) is a guild event spawn which would mean a large group was ready. Grief city! They’d also need to rework it a bit so one or two players couldn’t intentionally cause a fail like happened far too often in the event. Maybe allow platform hopping so long as no one platform has more than x living players on it at once?

Anyway I loooooved Marionette and if it could be brought back on the same scale I’d definitely do it just for fun. So long as it isn’t wrecking other players’ fun.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to it coming back, but I think a lot of the people who keep asking for it would be disappointed.

I think the big difference to the Vinewrath fight isn’t the mechanics involved to fight the boss, it’s that it wasn’t around long enough for that to be familiar. The Vinewrath bosses also have special mechanics which everyone needs to understand and use to beat them and early on that felt like a real challenge. Now almost everyone knows it to the point where they don’t even think about it.

If the Marionette was permanent the exact same thing would happen. It wouldn’t be this special, epic fight, it would just be another world boss.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Faeyas.2816

I suggest you remove your first line so this doesn’t get flagged as a petition post.

That said, hmm. I don’t know how hard/easy it would be for them to implement but I note one thing the community likely does not want back and that’s having everyone in the map killed if the event fails, even if they were just exploring. That part would have to go, especially if the best trigger method (imo) is a guild event spawn which would mean a large group was ready. Grief city! They’d also need to rework it a bit so one or two players couldn’t intentionally cause a fail like happened far too often in the event. Maybe allow platform hopping so long as no one platform has more than x living players on it at once?

Anyway I loooooved Marionette and if it could be brought back on the same scale I’d definitely do it just for fun. So long as it isn’t wrecking other players’ fun.

Initial comment heeded, and original post corrected. Thanks!

Yes, if it was reworked as a World Boss there would need to be tweaks so that the entire map didn’t up and die each time it failed. But since the content would need to be worked on, from what the Devs have said, nearly ground up, I don’t think that not including something massive like that would be a hindrance.

Posted by: hgkmaxymus.9321

hgkmaxymus.9321

Yeah, I would love to be able to experience that all over again.
Fractal wouldn’t make it justice, since the best part of it was the number of people required. A Guild Spawn would be awesome.

And someone mentioned something like Guild Fractals, so yeah, I think it would be awesome if we got some new Guild Missions (Marionette would be great as the first addition).

This is MADNESS!!!

Posted by: Irreverent.3594

Irreverent.3594

Oh yes those were the days. Scarlet was so cool and the event scale was epic. Not sure if it would work now as just a world boss or such. Maybe some “simulation” instance and not open world.

Faeyas.2816

I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to it coming back, but I think a lot of the people who keep asking for it would be disappointed.

I think the big difference to the Vinewrath fight isn’t the mechanics involved to fight the boss, it’s that it wasn’t around long enough for that to be familiar. The Vinewrath bosses also have special mechanics which everyone needs to understand and use to beat them and early on that felt like a real challenge. Now almost everyone knows it to the point where they don’t even think about it.

If the Marionette was permanent the exact same thing would happen. It wouldn’t be this special, epic fight, it would just be another world boss.

The primary Mechanic of the 5 groups of 5 players does make this fight less likely be to on auto pilot, which is primarily why a lot of us are asking for it back. Yes, we will get better at it, yes there will be fewer fails as we go along, but the chance of a single platform barely not making it to pass the boss along to the next lane would still keep tensions higher than what you experienced with Vine Wraith.

It would be adding in another high tier boss to central Tyria ala Teq or Shatterer, but with much more personal mechanics that make it hard to hide behind a well organized zerg.

I don’t think people would tire of it as quickly as you think, but I do understand where you are coming from, and if the Devs transform the fight too much they are liable to create the problem you are concerned about. I also trust the Devs know this. So, I remain hopeful.

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

Honestly I think there is too much nostalgia going on here.

Bringing back the Marionnette fight is not necessary because we already have better metas than Marionnette. These are called Silverwaste and all other HoT metas.

The thing is, we can have a fight that are reminiscent of Marionnette mechanics without bringing back the event. And this event will be far more superior than Marionnette for the simple fact that it will last longer than two weeks.

You think the fight might have been good, fun and somewhat challenging but I think people just have rose-tinted glasses. It felt that way simply because the players didn’t have the time to find the most optimal ways of running it with success.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I don’t care what’s being proposed. Didn’t even read it. You had me Marionette back. Yes this, whatever this is, yes.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Kestrel.7890

Kestrel.7890

I missed out on the whole Scarlett phase, so YES PLEASE. It looks amazing!

Posted by: Emmibolt.3928

Emmibolt.3928

I have deep sorrow for anyone who started playing after April 2014.
You missed the golden age of GW2 and you will never experience it, even if they added things like OP suggests.

I would give up both expansions to go back to that time.

Good luck OP, Godspeed(the five gods).

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

To a certain extent, the Vinewrath of Silverwastes is the Marionette fight done “right”. ANet definitely learned from their experiences with the first Marionette fight:

• There’s no set timer; hop into the zone whenever and progress it to the meta as fast as the rest of the map allows.
  • Failure or success doesn’t depend on a random team of 5, but a squadfull (although, those events can succeed with as few kitten especially these days).

I’m sad that we haven’t seen more like Silverwastes, but have seen more like Dry Top (like DT, HoT metas have everything on a timer: you have to work some to prep for meta and then work some afterward to collect loot efficiently; not as bad as DT, but still regimented).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Malthosia.2613

Malthosia.2613

I would LOVE to be able to experience this boss fight. I wasnt around for ls1, and I’ve heard nothing but great things about it.

Faeyas.2816

Bringing back the Marionnette fight is not necessary because we already have better metas than Marionnette. These are called Silverwaste and all other HoT metas.

The thing is, we can have a fight that are reminiscent of Marionnette mechanics without bringing back the event. And this event will be far more superior than Marionnette for the simple fact that it will last longer than two weeks.

You think the fight might have been good, fun and somewhat challenging but I think people just have rose-tinted glasses. It felt that way simply because the players didn’t have the time to find the most optimal ways of running it with success.

With all due respect, the vine wraith fight is a pale comparison to the brilliance that was the Marionette. My glasses are not that rosey. I have gone over the fight with other commanders of the Marionette fight and we pretty much agree that VW was disappointing compared.

I also do watch the old videos of the fight regularly and am very familiar with it as I also commanded it.

We also know how to beat it, but that alone doesn’t mean we can win.

The optimal way to beat it is for every player to know the mechanics of what is essentially 5 dungeon bosses, or at least enough to beat the platform boss. We know which classes/skills do best at which boss.

However, all it takes is 5 players in the fight to wipe and the fight is put at risk of failing. That is 1 party. The risk grows each time that happens. Heck, they don’t even need to wipe. They can just not kill their boss in time.

That isn’t a margin of error that is expressed in any other world boss. This is remarkably similar to the demands required of raiding (but not as intense). It is all about position and mechanics knowledge with high risk and high reward coordination.

That is why we all love it.

But yes, as with all bosses, the drive to play it will diminish over time. We don’t play Teq or Triple Trouble with the intensity of the entire community. However those bosses still have decent participation rates. I suspect we will see something similar with Marionette.

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

With all due respect, the vine wraith fight is a pale comparison to the brilliance that was the Marionette. My glasses are not that rosey. I have gone over the fight with other commanders of the Marionette fight and we pretty much agree that VW was disappointing compared.

I also do watch the old videos of the fight regularly and am very familiar with it as I also commanded it.

The optimal way to beat it is for every player to know the mechanics of what is essentially 5 dungeon bosses, or at least enough to beat the platform boss. We know which classes/skills do best at which boss.

However, all it takes is 5 players in the fight to wipe and the fight is put at risk of failing. That is 1 party. The risk grows each time that happens. Heck, they don’t even need to wipe. They can just not kill their boss in time.

That isn’t a margin of error that is expressed in any other world boss. This is remarkably similar to the demands required of raiding (but not as intense). It is all about position and mechanics knowledge with high risk and high reward coordination.

But yes, as with all bosses, the drive to play it will diminish over time. We don’t play Teq or Triple Trouble with the intensity of the entire community. However those bosses still have decent participation rates. I suspect we will see something similar with Marionette.

Hmm allow me to disagree with you then. Personally I don’t think it is good design to allow a world boss fight to fail because a group of five players failed at their part and I suspect Anet didn’t like that either because in the end, we didn’t see the exact same mechanic be applied in different meta events further down the line.

Let the possibility of failing occur for a larger group of people when it comes to world bosses. It is way more impactful and the people feel much more concerned imo. Failing as a party of five should be targeted at fractals and dungeons to an extent (but we all know it has never been really the case^^)

Watching old videos doesn’t do the trick too. Old videos mean different skill balance with different values in terms of numbers. We are much stronger now so I think the content would need to be tuned way harder in terms of mechanics and generally I don’t think players like too hard events when it comes to PvE (looking back at complaints for gerent meta at release in comparison to now).

Generally speaking I feel like we shoud have strong, threatening mobs with enough life points but not too much of it (HoT mobs is pretty fun in that regard). But the mechanics of actually getting the meta done shouldn’t be so much restrictive.

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

One could rework the event so that the aforementioned “risks” are no longer an issue. Those so-called risks could only be regarded as an excuse not to do it, and that would be lame.

I would love this to be a world boss event. And even if everyone (including other players on the map who are not in the vicinity of the fight) happened to die (i.e., if that mechanic was not altered), that would make the event even better, because people would feel motivated to participate (besides, there are plenty of waypoints to use after death on that map).

Posted by: jokke.6239

jokke.6239

Yes please, never got to try i

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

for them to even make this happen it must be updated like super world box had to be updated .

much rather this not happen at all . if they got the time to do this then they got the time to do more important upgrades to the game as a whole instead of wasting money and time to bring back a 4 year old event that has not even happened since then

if they put their time and efforts in to the game updating hard ware and so forth . that would be a far bigger advantage to all the players and not just a hand full of players that had not played it .

maybe they could do something like a short review of them events . like they did with the first living story .

no new system upgrades coming

Posted by: Doodledibob.2456

Doodledibob.2456

Yes, I would love to be able to play this.

Posted by: ScheduledforChaos.7524

ScheduledforChaos.7524

YES please bring this back, even as a 5 person fractal or a world boss or SOMETHING. This event was SO MUCH FUN. World boss would be phenomenal. It’s shattered body is still there… couldn’t some Inquest decide to repurpose it?

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

The event was too reliant on individual performances. I loved it for that. But as much as I like to feel truly relevant, this kind of design easily backfires as there are 50+ people who can fail and ruin the whole event for everyone.

It’s a kind of punishment you might expect for instanced content, as you are given the chance to decide who are you playing with.
For an open world event, it’s somewhat doomed to become a community thing, with premade squads taxiing to an empty overflow an so on.
I wouldn’t mind to have it, but I don’t think it would be the success some people anticipate.

Posted by: SilveryBeing.5082

SilveryBeing.5082

I think the Marionette would make a fantastic world boss. Hell, I don’t even think the lore would be that hard since the robot is still sitting out in the snow. Just make some “training” excuse for it to show up at regular intervals.

Posted by: luckyman tada.9160

luckyman tada.9160

I always thought it’d be cool to have some sort of time travel portal to experience some of these oldies.

Posted by: TheProfessor.7012

TheProfessor.7012

I would definitely support this being remade at some point and would play it for the sake of the fact that it was a fun world boss that had awesome music to go along with it to boot.

LS1 had a lot of good content that was lost to the Mists and I know that Anet wants to focus on where they’re going now as well as making sure Path of Fire launches relatively smoothly but if they ever had a chance to work on this and successfully implement it, I think that it would be well received for the sake of nostalgia as well as the fact that there are those who joined after it was gone or been told about how cool the fights of LS1 were by their friends who would likely want to try it.

The Marionette, the fight against the three Clockwork Knights in Lion’s Arch and the battle on the Breachmaker in my opinion were some of the best older fights we got to see, I’d love to be able to experience them again but I can’t have everything I want in life.. so, bring back the Marionette! Doing so would allow you to test the waters of your capabilities as a company, Anet.

[ShW] Shrouded Warband § Bronze Scout § Fort Aspenwood

(edited by TheProfessor.7012)

Faeyas.2816

Hmm allow me to disagree with you then. Personally I don’t think it is good design to allow a world boss fight to fail because a group of five players failed at their part and I suspect Anet didn’t like that either because in the end, we didn’t see the exact same mechanic be applied in different meta events further down the line.

Let the possibility of failing occur for a larger group of people when it comes to world bosses. It is way more impactful and the people feel much more concerned imo. Failing as a party of five should be targeted at fractals and dungeons to an extent (but we all know it has never been really the case^^)

Watching old videos doesn’t do the trick too. Old videos mean different skill balance with different values in terms of numbers. We are much stronger now so I think the content would need to be tuned way harder in terms of mechanics and generally I don’t think players like too hard events when it comes to PvE (looking back at complaints for gerent meta at release in comparison to now).

Generally speaking I feel like we shoud have strong, threatening mobs with enough life points but not too much of it (HoT mobs is pretty fun in that regard). But the mechanics of actually getting the meta done shouldn’t be so much restrictive.

That is a perfectly fine and well reasoned disagreement. We will need to agree to disagree then

Posted by: Catastro.8410

Catastro.8410

I’m in agreement as well. I unfortunately didn’t get to play much around the time of the update and missed out on the fight aside from doing a few lane events. Would love another chance to properly experience it.

Posted by: Arden.7480

Arden.7480

I am not a fan of this. The best thing of this event is that LS1 is famous of it.

I’d like something similar but in the other map and against another enemies.

I am so disappointed with LS3 because before that Mike O’Brien said that there will be the epic events like LS1’s… Ehh that was so cruel they didn’t make it come true. And if they meant the running Anomalies so I am just sorry for Anet.

“The Elder Dragon is no more”

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

This topic appeared in the past too. The Marionette was one of the best designed boss encounters in the game, when it worked well. There were numerous problems with it but we some careful thought they can be eliminated.

A Guild Event spawn would be my optimal solution. That way anyone can experience the lane defense part of the fight as an open world boss, however, make it so only the guild that initiated the encounter can go on the platforms. Remember how in the old Blazeridge Steps mission, before they made it instanced, anyone could join, but only the guild that started the mission could wield the charrzookas to destroy the crystals.

That way, you get only players that want and/or are prepared to get on the platforms, so the main issue with that fight is eliminated. An addition would be to give the option to those activating the event to choose if they want randoms to enter the platforms too, in case the guild is small and can’t field enough players for all platforms.

Additionally, since the event requires a lot of players that most guilds won’t be able to get, they could make it work differently, like have mini golem where guilds “sign up” for the event. When the event activated, the guilds that signed up can go on the platforms, while anyone else will join the main open world event. So guilds won’t be able to activate it when they want, but it would be on a timer like all world bosses, but only those who sign up can enter the platforms. That way the problems of the fight are eliminated while keeping the good aspects of it.

Posted by: Nash.2681

Nash.2681

Oh yes, plz bring back marionette! It was so much fun being forced to play on a set time schedule!
Having to join a map on which most ppl had nothing to do anymore but wait for 30 mins+ just to be save to get on a somewhat populated and maybe even organized map when the event finally started felt so epic each time! Not to mention the all so joyfull “join friend on map” – “the desired map is already full, plz try again later” mini-game that evolved from this- so good!
And don’t forget how much fun it was when you finally got on a map with enough ppl to cover the lanes and you got on your platform, beat your boss and watched the guys on the platform next to you fail in the most ridiculous ways imaginable and thus failing the whole event for everybody over and over again!

Oh yeah, how I miss those golden days of frustration and toxicity…. not.

(post above may contain a nostalgia-free view on the topic and include sarcasm, consume at your own risk)

If they ever decide to revamp the whole fight and bring it back as a fractal- fine. But bringing it back 1:1 just for the sake of nostalgia- plz not.

XMG U716 (i7 6700, 16GB DDR4@2133Mhz, GTX980m, Samsung 850Evo 250 GB, Seagate SSHD 500GB)

Leader of “Servants of Balance” [SoB], a small guild endemic to the FSP.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

I don’t care for just returning a tiny part of LW Season1. I rather have the whole experience playable.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Katrazaie.9301

Katrazaie.9301

I’ve been thinking about this for a while now, though I have to agree with the post above me. I only really got to experience Marionette and the Attack on Lion’s Arch and I really, really enjoyed both of these. I want to play the rest of that season!

However, I also think that Marionette is probably the most viable one to implement. Even if it was just this one fight as a world boss experience, I would love it.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I could definitely see a Fractal of this work. It would be pretty long, though, and wouldn’t be as epic in scope as the original event, but it could still be fun.

You come in at the first lane, possibly with a speech from Taimi about what’s going on, and have to fight a wave of clockworks. They would make it a timed thing rather than a number. They could even have Priory NPCs in the lane as additional bodies to make it seem larger, kind of like the changed made to Thaumanova Fractal with all the Inquest NPCs. Then you rush the portal and end up on a random platform with your group to fight the first boss. The rest of the platforms are populated with Priory NPCs as well as the remaining DE 2.0 members (they weren’t a proper guild yet.)

Once you beat the boss in your platform you move on to the next platform. Marjory has something to say then you go that event. Each lane had a different mechanic, so that’s the event you have to complete while you wait for time to charge the portal and move on to the next platform boss. Each Boss fight happens on a different platform, so by the end you’ve been on each of the five platforms, but the order is also random so each time you do the fractal the timing is slightly different because you’re in a different spot.

If I recall correctly the third lane is Braham, the fourth is Kassmyr, and the fifth is Rox. They can each have something to say about the situation. Then at the end you get the collapsed Marionette with the chest and the five characters available to say whatever they had to say back then.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I could see it either way. It would be fun to have it as a WB, since the area is all still there, and they could just clean up the destroyed version and move that Vista. The fractal idea is intriguing (even though sadly I’d never end up getting to do it), for this purpose as well as maybe re-thinking some of those other instances from LW1 as fractals, and trickle them in, like a Memory Box section of fractals. Maybe a little ‘Old Lion’s Arch’ as a fractal too.

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

First post timed out. So shorter version.

Marionette was an awesome event that had a good balance and I would say is a go to template for events that worked. To me the Silverwastes followed this flow which is what makes it a successful map still.

Now to bring it back I could see various options:

• Convert Timberlane to meta event map that lead up to this fight after the zone ranked up. This could be achieved without breaking the living world by an event where a cave is unearthed and more of Scarlet’s tests were found and unwittingly activated.
  • Create a larger scale fractal or introduce it as a group activity like Keg Toss/Snowball Mayhem or such. Could fit into living world by making this something like a Assuran Holodeck that “Show the wonders of the days gone by, 10 silver a person…”
  • Create an upcoming zone with Marionettes that again lead to a similar fight after the map is ranked up.

Now would the old event draw as many as it did, or was it because it only ran for a short time period? Hard to tell that but it was an event that was well received and remembered fondly. Good gaming!

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Side note: had discussed this as a 5 man fractal as well in the past, just would need to change the final boss fight where the players would play thru all 5 platforms or be able to cross platforms to aid others.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

I’m voting against this as a permanent open world addition. The strife the thing caused was ridiculous.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

In the beginning the Marionette fight was awesome. Toward the end, when the players that new the fight had moved on mostly and had gotten the achievements, it wasn’t as awesome. As much as I enjoyed the fight the first time, it doesn’t belong in the game now.

One of the main reasons the fight was popular was the farming the lanes during the defense phase, which dropped random “key” pieces you could use the open the chests in Scarlet’s lair. Without that, it wouldn’t have been nearly as popular.

Those rewards have long be superceded by other rewards in the game.

It was a good fight. But I don’t believe bringing it back would make the game better long term.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

In the beginning the Marionette fight was awesome. Toward the end, when the players that new the fight had moved on mostly and had gotten the achievements, it wasn’t as awesome. As much as I enjoyed the fight the first time, it doesn’t belong in the game now.

One of the main reasons the fight was popular was the farming the lanes during the defense phase, which dropped random “key” pieces you could use the open the chests in Scarlet’s lair. Without that, it wouldn’t have been nearly as popular.

It was a good fight. But I don’t believe bringing it back would make the game better long term.

Same can be said about any other world boss. Shatterer, Tequatl, Karka Queen, basically all the lesser world bosses.

You can easily add the marionette to the list there with no negative impact. Does it add much? Eh I dunno. It was better equipped to handle a zerg than most worldbosses at least.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

Yes, this was a fun event that was heavily attended, because it was a lot of fun.
Like someone said, the Marionette is still laying in the snow so why couldn’t the Dragons magic bring it back to life? It could make a fun story segment but then I’d like to see it left in as a world boss. There enough world boss repeats to include the Marionette into the sequence.
Not everyone likes doing the world bosses but for those that do, this would be really nice.

Posted by: koravel.3014

koravel.3014

I would very much like to do the event, as I had computer issues during the grand majority of the first segment of living story. I was physically unable to play the game even though I owned a copy because my first computer that could run the game died and I had to use a skeletal dell latitude for months.

Take pity on someone that was in a technological coma.

Posted by: slpr.2647

slpr.2647

I’d like to see it back simply because i was never able to be a part of a successful attempt! lmao I’d like to be able to beat the darn thing!

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

As someone who missed this chapter, yes, is love to see it back

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I believe the content would have to be remade entirely from the ground up. I remember some ANet developers saying that S1 content was designed completely with it’s temporary status in mind, so to recreate anything from season 1 would mean completely rebuilding it all.

It seems like it would be a nice idea, especially for those people who never got to experience season 1 firsthand, but at the same time I doubt Anet will put the resources needed in to re-developing old content

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Same can be said about any other world boss. Shatterer, Tequatl, Karka Queen, basically all the lesser world bosses.

You can easily add the marionette to the list there with no negative impact. Does it add much? Eh I dunno. It was better equipped to handle a zerg than most worldbosses at least.

I’d like to see Marionette come back as another Tequatl/Triple Trouble level world boss. It was a good fight.

They would need to change the stage where 5 groups of 5 are chosen to fight the champions and sever the chains. It’s not good for large scale event like this to be able to fail because of the actions (or inaction) of very few. They could just allow people to join the other platforms after they kill their own champion. As a champ dies it could create portals or teleporters that lead to the remaining platforms.

Anyway, I really don’t see it happening. They’re pretty focused on the new stuff and not on adding the old stuff back. Adding new stuff is probably better for the game.