Weapon Master achievement Strange?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: windyweather.1238

windyweather.1238

Playing Revenant all day and watching Mace Master achievement.

It does not seem to be counting as I expect. I’m solo and I’m the only one hitting the mobs and only using the 123 keys with mace in main hand. But it’s not counting with every kill. Soooooo…..

Is it just not updating every time. It has moved.. All day I basically got 100 kills clearing 3 maps. Seems low.

And I just killed 4 things and it didn’t count them.

So, of course the mace is applying conditions and does it not count unless the mob dies on a strike, but burns later based on the condition? Gonna be hard to get 5000 kills that way, and seems really unfair since it was the mace that applied the condition.

Is this the way that these achievements are supposed to work or is this an oversight with the new Revenant class?

ww

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

Weapon Master based on final strike+direct damage.

windyweather.1238

Ok… What does that mean? I’m the only one hitting these mobs and whether I use the 1 key – melee – or 2,3 only – it doesn’t count every kill. So why when I only use the mace to kill does it not count every kill? If it’s gonna say melee then it should at least count 1 skill kills, right? Well it doesn’t do that.

Why is it so freaking complicated? I’m the only one doing damage with mace only? So final strike, or condition applied, was with mace. So count it? No?

Is there a wiki page if it’s that complicated?

Tman.6349

Ok… What does that mean? I’m the only one hitting these mobs and whether I use the 1 key – melee – or 2,3 only – it doesn’t count every kill. So why when I only use the mace to kill does it not count every kill? If it’s gonna say melee then it should at least count 1 skill kills, right? Well it doesn’t do that.

Why is it so freaking complicated? I’m the only one doing damage with mace only? So final strike, or condition applied, was with mace. So count it? No?

Is there a wiki page if it’s that complicated?

Is it possible that condis or passive procs are actually responsible for the last HP’s of damage? The game does not distinguish outside of direct damage. For an example, if you use a shield/focus to reflect a rifle shot and it kills the enemy, you’ll actually get credit for a rifle kill. There are a few other exceptions as well, ie. transforms, environmental weapons, etc.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

You make burning with revenant mace. If the burning does the final hit on the mob it wont progress the achievement.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

windyweather.1238

You make burning with revenant mace. If the burning does the final hit on the mob it wont progress the achievement.

So if that’s the case, how does an Ele get any credit for staff kills since all of them apply conditions. That’s all they do right? Like 2, 3 of the mace on a Reve? But as I read it, skill 1 of Reve mace looks like a Melee skill and I didn’t get credit. Oh well maybe it was the 10th of a second that I didn’t see where he bled out from a smashed skull. Maybe that’s it.

So, these achievements seemed to be designed to encourage the use of all your weapon types, but the rules are so complicated, and leave out so many cases that they disadvantage some weapon types in the extreme. I’ve been playing since shortly after GW2 came out – a long freaking time – and most of my Weapon Master achevs are long done. Longbow, greatsword etc. But if if a new class, and not the best weapon is going to be so disadvantaged, why should I bother? It’s only 6 points. It’s just that AN seems to compulsive about being fair in all things that it seems odd that it works this way.

I thought the achievement was “Hey Use Your Mace, Noob” and it’s more like “Silly to use your mace for achievement, Noob”.

whatever,
Mov’n on

Tman.6349

So if that’s the case, how does an Ele get any credit for staff kills since all of them apply conditions. That’s all they do right? Like 2, 3 of the mace on a Reve? But as I read it, skill 1 of Reve mace looks like a Melee skill and I didn’t get credit. Oh well maybe it was the 10th of a second that I didn’t see where he bled out from a smashed skull. Maybe that’s it.

So, these achievements seemed to be designed to encourage the use of all your weapon types, but the rules are so complicated, and leave out so many cases that they disadvantage some weapon types in the extreme. I’ve been playing since shortly after GW2 came out – a long freaking time – and most of my Weapon Master achevs are long done. Longbow, greatsword etc. But if if a new class, and not the best weapon is going to be so disadvantaged, why should I bother? It’s only 6 points. It’s just that AN seems to compulsive about being fair in all things that it seems odd that it works this way.

I thought the achievement was “Hey Use Your Mace, Noob” and it’s more like “Silly to use your mace for achievement, Noob”.

whatever,
Mov’n on

Staff Ele does awesome DPS….you know that right? The primary DPS on staff is pulsing per second also.

*the achievement says nothing about ‘just swing your mace noob!’. That would be silly. Try getting some different gear that allows higher direct damage for your mace. Rampager is cheap and will help your situation a ton of you’re hell-bent on 5k mace kills.

*I just murdered ambient in level 80 story quest for all of my weapon cheevies. Mace is cake compared to shield or Warhorn. Hehe

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Some classes are just better at some Weapon Master stuff than others.

Mace? Use a Warrior. Shield? Guardians do AoE damage with one shield ability. And as Tman mentions, ambient creatures count for this. 1hp pigs, bunnies, chickens, deer, or what have you. Find some and wipe them out. Just… don’t go for the chickens in Ebonhawke.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Tman.6349

Some classes are just better at some Weapon Master stuff than others.

Mace? Use a Warrior. Shield? Guardians do AoE damage with one shield ability. And as Tman mentions, ambient creatures count for this. 1hp pigs, bunnies, chickens, deer, or what have you. Find some and wipe them out. Just… don’t go for the chickens in Ebonhawke.

Yeah. I’m pretty sure you can grind out very weapon kill achievement with just Warrior, Guardian and Thief? There’s a story step around level 80ish that spits ambient at you for about 5-10 kills per second.

*lvl 80: Stealing Light (mandatory mission; can’t miss) has an infinite spawn of spiders (I think it was spiders) about 1/3 of the way through. Spam weapon kills>repeat. Pretty sure Ranger (not warrior that I said above), Guard, and Thief can cover everything. There’s better/easieer comps for all achiements but might require elite specs. Actually Necro, Guard, and Thief would be best I think.

(edited by Tman.6349)

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

I believe the weapon master achieves only count killing blows. In other words, if the last bit of health is drained from the enemy via bleeding rather than an actual whack, it doesn’t count as a killing blow towards the achievement. A friend did scepter and had a similar issue.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

Posted by: ToT.7018

ToT.7018

Are you on hot maps?
Just asking as my kills never seem to go up there, but as mentioned above if i’m not getting final kill shot maybe that’s why.

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Are any of your other weapons master going up, what sigil do you use,

I remember when I was on my Ranger using a short bow back in the day, when I swapped to short bow, it had like an AoE trigger on the ground, if an enemy was in that AoE and died, it counted towards my Sword master track, even though I never used a sword on my Ranger.

The game is full of strange bugs like that.

windyweather.1238

I use Superior Sigil of Corruption on the mace and Superior Sigil of Speed on the off-hand weapon.

I just did some tests on other classes. Equipped with the same exotic mace and corruption sigil with shield in off hand with speed sigil. Again, only using Mace skills to kill mobs.

Guardian showed a much better rate of counting. But not 100%. I didn’t do an exact count, but it looked like I was getting about 90% count rate on kills.

Warrior showed almost 100% count rate. At one point it looked like I missed one, but a few seconds later it looked like it counted 3 when I only killed 2 mobs. Not sure about that, but warrior definitely shows a count so high I have no argument about it.

I do note I’m using Runes that have effects that might kill. Warrior uses Baelfire Runes which has a nova effect when struck. The Revenant uses superior rune of speed, which has no damage effect. The Guardian uses Super Rune of Traveler which has stats, boon and condition duration effect, but no damage effect. So the runes would appear to not have any issue since the only toon with runes that have damage effect showed the best count rate.

Maybe AN was just sloppy with their counting of kills on the revenant with the achievements. Even tho the counts were a little lower, I have no real argument with the rate I was getting on the guardian. But the Revenant counting was very low.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Summary:

Mastery point is determined by origin of final damage packet.
If damage is condition damage – no mastery point.
If damage is from pet/minion – no mastery point.
If damage is from a weapon skill, but reflected back at user, mastery point is for original weapon, not the reflecting one.
If damage is from a reflected monster skill, mastery point depends on the internal type for that monster’s skill.
If damage is from a utility/elite skill, mastery point depends on the internal type for that skill (possible to get unfitting or no mastery point)
If damage is from a bundle/environmental weapon skill, mastery point depends on the internal type for that skill (possible to get unfitting or no mastery point,; many are staff/hammer mastery).

(edited by Sariel V.7024)

Posted by: Drakz.7051

Drakz.7051

Best way to get weapon master kills is to do it with a weapon and class that only causes vulnerability or cripple, not anything that does dot damage like poison, torment, poison etc xD

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

Just… don’t go for the chickens in Ebonhawke.

Shhh! That’s the best place to farm this achievement…

windyweather.1238

Summary:

Mastery point is determined by origin of final damage packet.
If damage is condition damage – no mastery point.
If damage is from pet/minion – no mastery point.
[…].

Since almost none of this is visible, then looks like you need to test and if you aren’t getting points, try another class. Long live Altaholics. And apparently I was wrong. The Achievs are not designed to encourage using all weapons on all classes. Since for some classes, you get almost no points. See above. Thanks for the details. Guess they are in the wiki somewhere.

Tman.6349

I use Superior Sigil of Corruption on the mace and Superior Sigil of Speed on the off-hand weapon.

I just did some tests on other classes. Equipped with the same exotic mace and corruption sigil with shield in off hand with speed sigil. Again, only using Mace skills to kill mobs.

Guardian showed a much better rate of counting. But not 100%. I didn’t do an exact count, but it looked like I was getting about 90% count rate on kills.

Warrior showed almost 100% count rate. At one point it looked like I missed one, but a few seconds later it looked like it counted 3 when I only killed 2 mobs. Not sure about that, but warrior definitely shows a count so high I have no argument about it.

I do note I’m using Runes that have effects that might kill. Warrior uses Baelfire Runes which has a nova effect when struck. The Revenant uses superior rune of speed, which has no damage effect. The Guardian uses Super Rune of Traveler which has stats, boon and condition duration effect, but no damage effect. So the runes would appear to not have any issue since the only toon with runes that have damage effect showed the best count rate.

Maybe AN was just sloppy with their counting of kills on the revenant with the achievements. Even tho the counts were a little lower, I have no real argument with the rate I was getting on the guardian. But the Revenant counting was very low.

Guardian has passive burning while attacking. With might, the passive can tick for a bit even with power gear.. Warrior has very little passive damage or condis. This is why it would be most accurate for the kills counter. Rev is just gonna be bad for this achievement any way you slice it.