Weapon designs

Weapon designs

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sororita.3465

Sororita.3465

Some of the weapon designs, i feel, aren’t as great as they could be and aren’t as varied as they could be. There’s a lot of weapon designs that are great, such as the Merciless Focus skin, the Chak Focus skin and so on. Focus skins in general do a good job at being different and not a carbon copy of each other, but there are other weapons that fail in this regard. These other weapons need a greater variation to them.

Hammers by in large are failing at this in my eyes. Hammers feel very basic and just look too small. I don’t feel that hammers, usually being the slow hard hitting weapons, are what they are meant to be. Where are the giant hammers that look like they have some weight behind them? I don’t know about the general Guild Wars population (seriously i don’t know about you guys anymore =p) but nothing is more disappointing when you use a giant hard hitting attack, then look at the weapon that caused it… a tiny little rock on the end of a stick. I want to feel like im throwing around a small house at my opponent, not box of playing cards on the end of a match stick.

Bows could also use some greater variation. What about crossbow skins? Allow the player to change it up a bit. Or don’t… you know… * cough* add crossbows to necros * cough * Add bows outside of legendaries that change the arrow colour, that would be a great addition. Bows, in my opinion, seem stale as a result.

I refuse to use a warhorn. They are 90% the same, of course there are always some exceptions to the rule, with a bit of variation on them. Apart from that small variation and colour change they are the same skin. Horns arn’t the same in the animal kingdom, you have short horns, long horns, curving horns and horns that aliens from omicron persei 8 harvest as an aphrodisiac. Add that variety into the game, well, maybe not the last one.

Well thats like my opinion man, what are your thoughts on the matter? Are there weapons that are falling short in your eyes? Is there any skins you’d hope for?

Commander Starlight Honeybuns[BUNS]
Timelord to Lillium Honeybuns, IoJ
Forever together, or not at all.

Weapon designs

Posted by: King Cephalopod.7942

King Cephalopod.7942

Hammers too small? Hammers in this game are HUGE. Lightward’s battlehammer is probably the only hammer remotely close to a “realistic” size, and it’s still a bit large. If the head and spearpoint on the gallant hammer were half the size it would also be sensible. The rest of them are already like swinging a small car on a stick at people. Which is one gripe I have: every other basic weapon skin (white weapon, e.g. “greatsword”) looks like a simply-made but functional weapon, perhaps a little smaller than necessary. Except the hammer, which is less warhammer and more sledgehammer. That being said I don’t mind lots of large fantasy hammers because they’re fun and I enjoy them, but I do want more “realistic” polehammers in the game.

A little savagery now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Don’t cry, Signet of Mercy. Others may forget you, but I will always remember.
Our deficiencies may be overcome by practice and self-discipline.

Weapon designs

Posted by: Onlysaneman.9612

Onlysaneman.9612

Indeed, there are plenty of big ridiculous hammers, as there are a fair few big and ridiculous skins for just about any weapon type. Personally I’d prefer the exact opposite of what you’re suggesting, more trimmed down weapons that could pass for something semi-realistic. Don’t underestimate, as you put it, “a tiny little rock on the end of a stick” when that rock has the proper balance behind it.

As far as the longbow suggestion goes, I’m all for more options. The crossbow idea, however, would have complications in the form of the animations. Maybe make it a rifle skin with a unique sound instead?

Weapon designs

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

I think part of the problem with bows is that they made a division between “Longbow” and “Shortbow” (Yet not straight-bladed and curved-bladed swords?), requiring twice as many skins in a limited design space (“Curved stick held together by string”)

Weapon designs

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

How are hammers too small? What?! What sort of wacky cartoonish games are you playing?

Weapon designs

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

Crossbow skins wouldn’t work at all, because the animation would have to be completely different. They’d have to make not only the crossbow skin, but at least one new animation, and tech to hook up that animation to the skin instead of the character.

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA

Weapon designs

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Indeed, there are plenty of big ridiculous hammers, as there are a fair few big and ridiculous skins for just about any weapon type. Personally I’d prefer the exact opposite of what you’re suggesting, more trimmed down weapons that could pass for something semi-realistic. Don’t underestimate, as you put it, “a tiny little rock on the end of a stick” when that rock has the proper balance behind it.

As far as the longbow suggestion goes, I’m all for more options. The crossbow idea, however, would have complications in the form of the animations. Maybe make it a rifle skin with a unique sound instead?

More trimmed down? Are you kidding? Have you even looked at the basic weapon skins? You can’t get more trimmed down than that and still be able to recognize most of those weapon types

Weapon designs

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Crossbow skins wouldn’t work at all, because the animation would have to be completely different. They’d have to make not only the crossbow skin, but at least one new animation, and tech to hook up that animation to the skin instead of the character.

Don’t underestimate the skil/effort of Anet. They put in that same effort/skill for the current sling Shortbow skin. I see no difference for crossbows tbh.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Weapon designs

Posted by: Nero.8047

Nero.8047

Don’t underestimate the skil/effort of Anet. They put in that same effort/skill for the current sling Shortbow skin. I see no difference for crossbows tbh.

Are you being sacrastic?
I’m fairly certain the sling simply uses the old shortbow animation.
You grip the bow like any shortbow, you pull the sling like any string.

Paragon of the Seraphim Order [Ankh]
a small, casual Guild with a play as you want style.

Weapon designs

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Are you being sacrastic?
I’m fairly certain the sling simply uses the old shortbow animation.
You grip the bow like any shortbow, you pull the sling like any string.

There was no sarcasm in my post, no reason to be. :S

Not used the sling in a while but I’m pretty sure there is a difference between it and a bow. And if not I would stand corrected but I wouldn’t really see much difference between the animation of the bow/sling vs a crossbow. Besides having to hold it with both hands and load it of course but they could always leave the loading out. As I’m pretty sure they did for the sling.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Weapon designs

Posted by: Nero.8047

Nero.8047

More trimmed down? Are you kidding? Have you even looked at the basic weapon skins? You can’t get more trimmed down than that and still be able to recognize most of those weapon types

More trimmed down as in not being so huge.
The Lightward Battlehammer is “trimmed down” not because of its details but because of its size.

The Basic weapon designs for Hammer are indeed not too ornate/intricate in their designs but they’re still huge. It’s a giant box of solid steel on a thick wooden stick.

Not all players like realistic weapon designs but for those who do the Hammer doesn’t provide a lot of options.

Larger hammerhead =/= better hammer, just heavier/more unwieldy.

To counter the larger hammerhead the character doesn’t have to be stronger but heavier. (or they’ll fling themselves after their hammers with each and every swing which would look… comically. Largely due to Physics (although “fantasy physics” arguments often challenge this yet don’t work because that’s not really how Physics work, especially in relation to other happenings in Tyria such as gravity.))

A smaller head, a maneuverable size and weight would prove far more dangerous compared to the Basic Hammer or just about any other Hammer skin currently in-game.
Remember why a sword cuts? Because it has a decent weight behind it and a very thing edge.
A hammer works a bit in this fashion as well. (although obviously too broad/wide/thick to cut) A smaller Hammerhead focusses all the energy of the blow on a small portion of the hammerhead. (which is why spiked hammers/warpicks can be quite scary!)
A huge hammerhead, although heavier, would not deal as much damage because the force applied to the opponent would be spread along a larger surface.

What would happen if that Earthshaker Warrior struck the ground with his huge hammer?

1. It would be a slow but decent “thud”.
  2. The “recipient” will have easily avoided such a telegraphed attack.
  3. The warrior would, realistically, have to switch to his off-hand weapon set because lifting a hammer like that mid-combat will most certainly get you killed.

Disclaimer:
As said before:
It’s a fantasy game, people like their flashy designs and in all honesty the game provides a lot of these!
I’d personally just like more options that I, and other players sharing my mindset, would be comfortable using besides the Lightward Battlehammer.

Paragon of the Seraphim Order [Ankh]
a small, casual Guild with a play as you want style.

Weapon designs

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Every single hammer looks absolutely tiny on Asura, with the proud exception of the Fix-r-Upper. This happen with most weapons, really: they become so small almost every detail dissapear.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Weapon designs

King Cephalopod.7942

Every single hammer looks absolutely tiny on Asura, with the proud exception of the Fix-r-Upper. This happen with most weapons, really: they become so small almost every detail dissapear.

That’s because Asura are tiny and their bodies aren’t in standard human proportions (their heads are larger than their torsos). But if you look at hammers on them the hammer heads are as large if not larger than their torsos, and almost as large as their heads.

Weapon designs

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

More trimmed down as in not being so huge.
The Lightward Battlehammer is “trimmed down” not because of its details but because of its size.

The Basic weapon designs for Hammer are indeed not too ornate/intricate in their designs but they’re still huge. It’s a giant box of solid steel on a thick wooden stick.

Not all players like realistic weapon designs but for those who do the Hammer doesn’t provide a lot of options.

Larger hammerhead =/= better hammer, just heavier/more unwieldy.

To counter the larger hammerhead the character doesn’t have to be stronger but heavier. (or they’ll fling themselves after their hammers with each and every swing which would look… comically. Largely due to Physics (although “fantasy physics” arguments often challenge this yet don’t work because that’s not really how Physics work, especially in relation to other happenings in Tyria such as gravity.))

A smaller head, a maneuverable size and weight would prove far more dangerous compared to the Basic Hammer or just about any other Hammer skin currently in-game.
Remember why a sword cuts? Because it has a decent weight behind it and a very thing edge.
A hammer works a bit in this fashion as well. (although obviously too broad/wide/thick to cut) A smaller Hammerhead focusses all the energy of the blow on a small portion of the hammerhead. (which is why spiked hammers/warpicks can be quite scary!)
A huge hammerhead, although heavier, would not deal as much damage because the force applied to the opponent would be spread along a larger surface.

What would happen if that Earthshaker Warrior struck the ground with his huge hammer?

1. It would be a slow but decent “thud”.
  2. The “recipient” will have easily avoided such a telegraphed attack.
  3. The warrior would, realistically, have to switch to his off-hand weapon set because lifting a hammer like that mid-combat will most certainly get you killed.

Disclaimer:
As said before:
It’s a fantasy game, people like their flashy designs and in all honesty the game provides a lot of these!
I’d personally just like more options that I, and other players sharing my mindset, would be comfortable using besides the Lightward Battlehammer.

Ah that makes more sense. I haven’t really used a whole lot of hammers kitten far I have almost exclusively played the light armor classes so I didn’t know all of them were huge

Weapon designs

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Your Asura must be huge. My hammer look fine.

Attachments:

Weapon designs

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

That’s because Asura are tiny and their bodies aren’t in standard human proportions (their heads are larger than their torsos). But if you look at hammers on them the hammer heads are as large if not larger than their torsos, and almost as large as their heads.

I understand that, but really, if I’m using a tiny race in a fantasy game is precisely because the contrast it causes to have a tiny character with a bigger-than-him/her weapon.
I don’t need “realism” (Wich doesn’t apply anyway, because my Norn Warrior isn’t stronger than my Asura Warrior). I need weapons that are visible.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Weapon designs

King Cephalopod.7942

I understand that, but really, if I’m using a tiny race in a fantasy game is precisely because the contrast it causes to have a tiny character with a bigger-than-him/her weapon.
I don’t need “realism” (Wich doesn’t apply anyway, because my Norn Warrior isn’t stronger than my Asura Warrior). I need weapons that are visible.

I see, you aren’t looking for bigger hammer designs, you just want them to make asura-scaled weapons larger? Eh, I can see why but I want some designs that are mildly realistic-looking. That, and too-large weapons relative a character model starts to edge into the realm of visual clutter.