Wedding Dress on humans - How Garters Work

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Allaraina.8614

Allaraina.8614

Friends, Romans, Charrs…

As far as I can tell the wedding dress hasn’t been put in the gemstore yet, and so I would like to point out a small problem prior to launch…

This is not how garters work.

The purpose of a garter is to hold up socks or stockings. Garters are itchy and while sexy they tend to look pretty silly unless they are also serving their initial purpose. (For more information, click here)

Which brings us to the issue at hand.

The female human wedding outfit does not include stockings and yet the dress is cut high enough to reveal a garter. I am requesting a fix by either removing the garter or adding the stocking.

Thank you.

My 18 characters are waiting for outfits from GW1 like Tuxedos! WE GOT DWAYNA! =D
http://asuratime.tumblr.com/

Posted by: Kentaine.4692

Kentaine.4692

Friends, Romans, Charrs…

As far as I can tell the wedding dress hasn’t been put in the gemstore yet, and so I would like to point out a small problem prior to launch…

The purpose of a garter is to hold up socks or stockings. Garters are itchy and while sexy they tend to look pretty silly unless they are also serving their initial purpose. (For more information, click here)

The female human wedding outfit does not include stockings and yet the dress is cut high enough to reveal a garter. I am requesting a fix by either removing the garter or adding the stocking.

Thank you.

Ummm….

All the weddings I’ve been to the bride wore a single garter without stockings and that single garter was used as a sort of ‘catch the bouquet’ gimmick for the single men.

True, garters are used to hold up stockings in the most traditional sense but the wedding garter- at least in the culture I grew up in- is not used that way.

In fact, the link you provided states this tradition and describes it in more detail under the section titled “Use in Wedding Traditions”. So, hopefully you now understand their design choice.

I think the real issue is with the design of the skirt itself, though. I was glad I delayed buying the monk outfit when the ‘fix’ for the clipping issues was to turn the skirt into a circus tent and I won’t be buying this one for the same reason. The skirt would have looked much better if it had been floor length all the way around and just left the wedding garter to the imagination. Then it could have been form fitting (noble dress) as well.

(edited by Kentaine.4692)

Posted by: Wildkitten.3872

Wildkitten.3872

Friends, Romans, Charrs…

Thank you.

Actually many garters are for fashion appearance, not for holding up stockings. Most wear garter belts for that purpose. And with weddings garters are worn for the tradition of the groom removing them to “shoot” at the bachelors attending the wedding much the way the bride tosses the bouquet to the single ladies. In the past women wore garters as a way to hold small items such as lighters or money so they wouldn’t have to carry a purse. It’s also a tradition in many parts of the US for girls to give their garters to their dates as a prom reminder. Many proms have as their last dance a “Garter and Tie Dance” where the girls exchange their garters for the boys ties.

So no, there is absolutely nothing wrong with how Anet’s designer (I assume is still Kristen Perry) has designed the garter with the dress.

EDIT:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garter_
There is a Western wedding tradition for a bride to wear a garter to her wedding, to be removed towards the end of the reception by the groom. This garter is not normally used to support stockings.

Jaina Kitten, Level 80 Elementalist, Main
Yak’s Bend – Expletus

(edited by Wildkitten.3872)

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

I’m glad I don’t have any human characters, a wedding mini-skirt with train really isn’t appealing. I mean maybe today’s generation with their super loose morals would think it was awesome but this just screams “look at my panties!” It’s better on the Norns but it still looks like an Asura tent.

Posted by: Wildkitten.3872

Wildkitten.3872

I’m glad I don’t have any human characters, a wedding mini-skirt with train really isn’t appealing. I mean maybe today’s generation with their super loose morals would think it was awesome but this just screams “look at my panties!” It’s better on the Norns but it still looks like an Asura tent.

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_two-tier-high-low-a-line-gown-with-tulle-and-lace-vw351281_wedding-dresses-all-wedding-dresses

http://www.shirleysdress.com/delicate-beaded-neckline-tiered-high-low-dress-with-ruching-p702369.html

http://www.shirleysdress.com/luxurious-sweetheart-beaded-bodice-tiered-high-low-dress-p702377.html

http://www.adoringdress.com/one-shoudler-high-low-dress-with-ruched-flowers-and-belt-p703664.html

Just a few examples. The High/Low style is a popular one.

Jaina Kitten, Level 80 Elementalist, Main
Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Indeed, the length of a woman’s skirt is an indication of her moral fiber and wearing pants is a sure sign of low character. Let’s not even get into a woman who speaks without being spoken to or dares to set foot outside of either the kitchen or the bedroom!

/end sarcasm.

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

Do charr have the guts of their enemies for garters?

Anyhoo, if a wedding dress outfit or whatever (Wha’?! I don’t even, but some probably do) is failing to have stockings involved in the usage of its garter, it’s likely following a Western tradition, so the links tell me. I don’t do traditions of this nature, but then again, I’d never be caught dead in a wedding dress, garter or not. Having looked at the pictures of the proposed item, I can safely conclude this purchase is not for me™!

I think I’ll have a cup of tea now. Yes.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Friends, Romans, Charrs…

Thank you.

I don’t think you’re old enough to fully understand the ceremonial act of tossing the garter at a wedding. Traditionally, the bride’s garter is filled with money, and the groom will toss it to the single men.

In most all cases, the bride is placed sitting on a chair surrounded by the wedding party. The groom will go on his knees, and attempt to remove the garter with his mouth from under the dress. If you’d like to learn more, go to YouTube, and do some searches. The act looks naughty, but it’s truly an adult tradition.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

Is this topic for real? Garter disscusion? Really?

Posted by: CobaltSixty.1542

CobaltSixty.1542

It’s like you’ve never even been to a wedding.

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

No please. Tired of people with the desire to turn fantasy in to reality. Not everything is going to be realistic or make sense in this game.

I love the look and would be extremely sad if they changed it.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Posted by: SaintSnow.6593

SaintSnow.6593

What I’m so surprised at is how this whole wedding dress/attire blew up harder than Hiroshima. I’ve seen more topics on this outfit alone than I could imagine.

Säïnt

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

As our allies lie stranded in the Heart of Maguuma Jungle, awaiting our search and rescue, we sit here bickering about Garters.

Our generation is doomed…

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think it’s worth bearing in mind that there are a huge number of traditions associated with weddings and they can vary greatly even within relatively small areas or short periods of time or between cultures that otherwise have a lot in common. But none of them are strictly right or wrong, they’re just different.

As I understand it the tradition of tossing the garter is predominantly American and, in my experience (mainly of asking people about it when I was getting married) unheard of in the UK. Along with other traditions such as a bridal shower, rehearsal dinner and free alcohol (known as an open bar) at the wedding. (The last presumably because no sane person would give Brits free booze at a formal event…or at all.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

I haven’t known a bride; including myself who wore a garter to hold up anything. It was part of the reception and got tossed to the single guys who attended much like the bouquet to the single girls.

Just because you read it on wiki doesn’t mean its 100% only works that way. o_O

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

You know Tyria’s a pretty open society when the standard practice for the blushing bride is to continuously flash the priest during the wedding ceremony.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I was going to say the first thing it reminded me of was Stephanie Seymour’s dress in the November Rain video, and that was from 1992, over 15 years ago now and hardly ’today’s generation’.

But I guess if your issue is loose morals (as represented by clothing) a Guns N’ Roses video isn’t a great counter argument.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Friends, Romans, Charrs…

Thank you.

Maybe you should have read your own wiki link before posting.

There is a Western wedding tradition for a bride to wear a garter to her wedding, to be removed towards the end of the reception by the groom. This garter is not normally used to support stockings.

Garter belts are what’s normally used to hold up stockings now.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I haven’t known a bride; including myself who wore a garter to hold up anything. It was part of the reception and got tossed to the single guys who attended much like the bouquet to the single girls.

Just because you read it on wiki doesn’t mean its 100% only works that way. o_O

This. In the US (and in many other Western countries, at least), a garter like the one in the human wedding outfit is purely for decoration and for throwing at the menfolk during a wedding reception. Generally, it’s far more common now to either wear full stockings or to opt for a garter belt/suspenders, which is worn at the waist and attaches to the top of a thigh-high stocking.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

Interesting (OK, not that interesting) fact:

British women tend to wear a blue garter (normally, without stockings) at their wedding, for the “something blue” part of the rhyme; “Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.”.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

I think it’s worth bearing in mind that there are a huge number of traditions associated with weddings and they can vary greatly even within relatively small areas or short periods of time or between cultures that otherwise have a lot in common. But none of them are strictly right or wrong, they’re just different.

As I understand it the tradition of tossing the garter is predominantly American and, in my experience (mainly of asking people about it when I was getting married) unheard of in the UK. Along with other traditions such as a bridal shower, rehearsal dinner and free alcohol (known as an open bar) at the wedding. (The last presumably because no sane person would give Brits free booze at a formal event…or at all.)

Some people have bridal showers and rehearsal dinners and stuff, now, in the UK and some have always had an open bar.

I’ve been to a few weddings with an open bar and a couple without.

I was more surprised by the ones without, TBH.

The people with the open bars/free alchohol were wealthier than the people without, simple as that.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Can we not talk about how the human female wedding dress makes it look like it’s a shotgun wedding? She looks preggers. It doesn’t look that way on any other female race. So disappointed. And the garter is fine. Every wedding I’ve been to, the garter is used as to throw out to the single guys. Not used to hold up stockings at all. No, not the original intent of a garter, but definitely used for wedding dresses in this manner.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

CandyHearts.6025

British women tend to wear a blue garter (normally, without stockings) at their wedding, for the “something blue” part of the rhyme; “Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.”.

I found it interesting. I’m not British but I wore a blue one as well.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Friends, Romans, Charrs…

Thank you.

As someone who was somewhat recently married and has been to many weddings, the wedding garter is mostly traditional and has nothing to do with its intended purpose. They are almost always worn without holding up anything for the sole purpose of being taken off and tossed to the awaiting men (like the bouqet for women). At least that is U.S. tradition.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: megakittytron.5971

megakittytron.5971

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_two-tier-high-low-a-line-gown-with-tulle-and-lace-vw351281_wedding-dresses-all-wedding-dresses

http://www.shirleysdress.com/delicate-beaded-neckline-tiered-high-low-dress-with-ruching-p702369.html

http://www.shirleysdress.com/luxurious-sweetheart-beaded-bodice-tiered-high-low-dress-p702377.html

http://www.adoringdress.com/one-shoudler-high-low-dress-with-ruched-flowers-and-belt-p703664.html

Bleh. All those models look like disheveled messes in those dresses. That’s popular now? Oh well, it’s been years since my own wedding. My wedding was Indian but I did change into a wedding gown for the reception minus the garter thing. Anyway OP, I’ve been to alot of American weddings, and the garter in Western weddings are used in a different way. I think that’s what the designer was trying to implement. The dress makes human females look really pregnant though, lol.

(edited by megakittytron.5971)

CandyHearts.6025

Thanks for sharing these! I like them a lot. Perfect for an outdoor summer wedding imo.

I’m off topic but blaaah. It doesn’t matter how long ya been married. It’s always fun to look at the dresses ;_;

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

So not a way to will the TARDIS back into our reality?

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

Meow, someone either hates women or themselves. Personally I don’t judge people for wearing whatever they do unless it’s really really bad, like Jodie Marsh style belt top, or Christina Aguilera bikini and chaps, but that’s obvious.
Following a fashion trend which is actually very tame and quite elegant now gets a reaction like yours? Were you not allowed to flaunt your ankles as a young girl? Or did all the girls/boys not take any interest in you which feeds your broad opinion about younger girls?

Kitten.

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

You don’t need a garter for any modern wedding dress, people wear one for tradition. It has nothing to do with functionality anymore.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Trivia for the day.

Wedding Garter History and Meaning
“Hundreds of years ago, there were many superstitions and beliefs surrounding the wedding day. One superstition was that owning a piece of the wedding dress would bring good luck, leading to wedding guests essentially attacking the bride to rip off a piece of her gown. This led to brides wearing a specific article of clothing to be given out as the lucky piece: the garter. Another belief was that the garter was a symbol of the newlyweds consummating their marriage, so family and friends would take the garter as proof of consummation. Both of these ancient beliefs result in the garter being removed from the bride and given to someone who attended the wedding.

Today, the removal of the garter is reserved for the groom. There is typically a time set aside during the reception for the groom to do so in front of all of the witnesses, followed by the groom tossing the garter to all the unmarried bachelors in the crowd. Usually the bride will perform the bouquet toss first, then the groom will do the garter toss. This garter toss is very similar to the bouquet toss in that it is said that whoever catches the garter will be the next man to be married. The man who caught the garter will then place the garter on the woman who caught the bouquet."

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.