Weddings & passive buff

Weddings & passive buff

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: sanctuary.1068

sanctuary.1068

Hi!

Normally im not one of these people that are very fond of these kinda things but it would be rly fun if anet actually added weddings as in you could talk to an npc and marry another person and share a special surname as a title (which you could decide together). The twist would be that you could get a passive buff of 5-10% magic find if youre married!

Im such a girl right now i know…

Weddings & passive buff

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

No,i don’t want to be forced to have virtual marriage just so i have fair amount of magic find as you roleplayers have.I don’t mind that they put marriage in to the game but no bonus buffs,just for your fun aspect.
I don’t think though that this will be ever in game,this is not asian type of MMO or sandbox at all.

Weddings & passive buff

Posted by: Ciome.1075

Ciome.1075

I hope this will never happen. But if it has to happen, I hope it’ll be like saalle said.

Weddings & passive buff

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

I don’t like this idea.

It means that people that don’t want to get “married” will end up having a disadvantage over those who do. That doesn’t conform to A-net’s ethos when it comes to inclusive play.

Moreover, this would lead to people getting married simply for the buff, rather than the sentiment. I can assure you people will complain that this would undermine the “sanctity of marriage” and its perceived importance overall.

Would the players be in full control of such a thing? Could they turn marriage “on and off” as they wish to? If not, this could lead to more CS traffic from people asking for “divorce”. Do you not think that this kind of feature would add a whole lot of drama, for very little benefit?

People are already having marriages in game at that spot in LA. I witnessed on yesterday. I think RPers are actually really lucky in this sense- they have an area and an outfit they can use for the purpose whereas before there was nothing “officially” put in for it. If you want to go the whole hog, you can:
-Buy name change contracts and change your name
-Buy the wedding outfit
-Buy pretty/expensive rings from the TP and trade them with each other
-Buy the Romantic Package (flowers+chocolates)
-You could even organise a crowd of people to use the standard pigeon/dove mail carrier and all send mails at once, looking like you’re releasing the doves.

Weddings & passive buff

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

NO thanks, if you want to RP marriage then do what you want. But when you start getting advantages over other people because you want to marry somebody in a video game I am drawing a line.

Weddings & passive buff

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

I used the Birthday Blaster excessively for the small stat increase.

I now have Diabeetus.

So no…

Weddings & passive buff

sanctuary.1068

Nah roleplaying is not my thang, thats why i wanted to add magic find to it to give it a purpose xD Yes i understand that for some it would be “terrible” bc you dont wanna get married in a game.

5-10% magic find is not a big deal anyway.

Weddings & passive buff

Crimson Clouds.4853

Nah roleplaying is not my thang, thats why i wanted to add magic find to it to give it a purpose xD Yes i understand that for some it would be “terrible” bc you dont wanna get married in a game.

You shouldn’t have to give incentive to role-playing: people either want to do it they don’t.

This will probably create more tension towards the RP community than there already is. Players shouldn’t feel they need to resent others.

The attitude would be “I have to somewhat involve myself in this thing that I don’t like (RP), just to have an equal footing to others (in terms of Magic Find) that’s useful in areas of the game where the thing I don’t like (RP) isn’t even common-place (e.g. dungeons, PvE standard maps, WvW).”

I could understand the inclusion of this if it gave players a “reward” that is only beneficial to the RP community, or only really useful in cities (I’m not saying RP only happens in cities, but it is the most common place for it).

Perhaps being married also gives players access to different, relationship-related emotes? Like “/kiss” (player blows kiss towards other player). But even so, I’m sure that non-RP guys would like to have access to these new, still fairly general features without being forced to do something they don’t want to, that isn’t challenging or adds gameplay. Even RP-ers might not want to get married, but get the benefit of it.

So yeah- what I’m trying to say is this: Adding marriage is ok (if it’s high in demand), but don’t give any benefits to it. If somebody wants to get married and have it “official” by it being some little text in-game under their character story in the Hero Panel, fine. A player who really wants to be married in-game would seek enjoyment out of that in itself, I bet.

Weddings & passive buff

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I could agree to a special title.

[Other character]’s Spouse.

And then if you split up, you get another title:

It’s Complicated.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Weddings & passive buff

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Fully support a marriage thing, no buffs though, I’m already against the buffs for RL marriage.

They could do the same as one of my old games, sell a gemstore item that opens up a special instance that has a fully decked out wedding area with pews and alter and all that jazz. Give it a “spot” in LA so others can zone in if you have the instance created. Make that money ANet.

Wedding package comes with a namechange and a giftable namechange.

Weddings & passive buff

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’ll just have my chars from my main account marry one of my chars from my alt account.

Very meaningful.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Weddings & passive buff

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

I’ll just have my chars from my main account marry one of my chars from my alt account.

Very meaningful.

That’s so . . . Romantic ;_;

Weddings & passive buff

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Very meaningful.

That’s so . . . Romantic ;_;

I’ll roleplay that he is Moslem and can marry 5 of them. That will cut down on the number of different chars that need to get from the jp where he is to the wedding site then back up there again.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Weddings & passive buff

sanctuary.1068

It’s Complicated.

I srsly laughed so hard xD

Weddings & passive buff

Posted by: BeckaPL.2670

BeckaPL.2670

I liked the suggestion I saw on a previous forum with this topic of being able to teleport to your spouse in the open world with a ring item or something like that. But an actual buff would be a bad idea

Weddings & passive buff

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Hi!

Normally im not one of these people that are very fond of these kinda things but it would be rly fun if anet actually added weddings as in you could talk to an npc and marry another person and share a special surname as a title (which you could decide together). The twist would be that you could get a passive buff of 5-10% magic find if youre married!

A more accurate passive effect is those two players share one bank, gold funds and other assets from that point onward.

When they inevitably divorce they get to fight over who owns what.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Weddings & passive buff

sanctuary.1068

Omg Aedelric “inevitably divorce”. Dont you believe in eternal companionship & loyality? :O But anyways, if they added that you actually could get married in gw2, if you get no benefits at all, theres no reason to even marry. In archeage for example you can choose to have a “family” and share a house as a benefit. I mean, theres has to be a reason to add it in the game otherwise i dont even want it added xD But they added wedding dresses to the game and then IMO its kinda strange to not do smth fun with that option. I mean, i bought the dress but then when i equiped it, since im not a roleplayer, i dont even know when to use it xD And i kinda thought you could make it look smth else but a wedding dress but only races that worked on was sylvari and asura. Sadly i basically only play human race and that version is doomed since it looks 100% like a wedding dress and dont you dare tell me you can make it look different, bc it doesnt look different whatever color i change it to. But anyways, i dont care if its a magic buff or w.e, but why would i want to have free teleports to the same person all the time? I would never use it since wp are cheap already xD

Weddings & passive buff

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Omg Aedelric “inevitably divorce”. Dont you believe in eternal companionship & loyality?

I have been with my partner for ten years, I do believe in eternal companionship and loyalty. I just do not believe in the institution of marriage, it is an archaic tradition that should be done away with.

I do not need a ring and paper to prove my love, my fidelity, honesty and actions every day we have been together are all the proof I need.

Anyway, a few of my friends that are married do not display additional luck in real life equivalent to 5-10% magic find, so I still say no to the passive buff. I say give married people 5 random junk trophy’s, teapot, toaster, etc, to mirror real life.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Weddings & passive buff

Posted by: Plok.5873

Plok.5873

It’s Complicated.

… And the suggested ability to teleport to the other’s location is altered to sending conditions, preferably poison, torment and bleeding.
And tap the Ex’s vault, unless he/she/it makes a successful saving throw against lawyer.
Also your Ex retains a copy of in-game your friend list, usable for a crusade of libel and slander lasting for the remainder of your lifes.
If your character was male, you will never see your alts under 18 again, ofc.

Pry Bar in yo’ face, You big disgrace / Box of Nails all over the place
Pet project: Outfit overhaul.

Weddings & passive buff

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

I’d totally marry another bloke for 5% magic find.

Weddings & passive buff

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

I’ve seen weddings in other games. I personally think it is degenerating against marriage. To me a marriage (where two people declare to love each other for eternity) is something that is an import part of our society and an important institution.
In those games it degenerates to where people get married just to get that certain buff.

So feel free to declare your love to your loved one in game. Throw a party, invite your friends (And if you are handing out free drinks, invite me too!!) and make an awesome party. Just no buffs.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Weddings & passive buff

Posted by: Yakubyogami.7586

Yakubyogami.7586

I think they should make the buffs and debuffs represent an actual marriage.

• The first year of marriage you get +10% Power, +10% Magic Find and +10% runspeed (to represent ‘your heart being light’)
  • The second year you should get +5% Power, +5% Magic Find and no runspeed buff (percentages replacing Year One, not adding to them)
  • The third year you should get random conditions, starting with 1 stack each and by the end of the year going up to 5 stacks of the following: Torment, Weakness, Chilled, Confusion, Slowed and Fear (fear increasing duration instead of stacks).
  • If you get a divorce in-game or either partner is offline for more than a week (7 consecutive days, must be on minimum of 2 hours per login with no AFK booting from the system) then you lose a random percentage of all your banked/bagged stackable valuables and coins, the range being from from 30%-80%.

I think this would more realistically represent marriage.

Weddings & passive buff

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

what about no marriage at all, it will be the open world PvP kind of harassment all over again but soft mode

Weddings & passive buff

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

Not this again…….

Weddings & passive buff

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

Here’s an idea, create two new characters (or use the name change option through the Gem Store), name them with the same surname. Craft and/or buy each other rings. Wear the Wedding outfit. Roleplay that you are getting married. Exchange rings. /emote a kiss. Done.—Let’s not make it a necessity to get virtually married by granting special bonuses in doing so. What’d be next? Virtual divorce? Do we need a virtual prenup system too?

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

Weddings & passive buff

Posted by: Icelin.8412

Icelin.8412

Sure why not a title would be cute, I say no to having perks of being married though. It’s wrong for obvious reasons but ya nice idea with the title.

Weddings & passive buff

Crimson Clouds.4853

But anyways, if they added that you actually could get married in gw2, if you get no benefits at all, theres no reason to even marry.

I don’t think that’s a particularly popular opinion- you could say the same about real life. Sure, some people only marry for the tax benefits, or for citizenship (or some other sort of financial benefit), but most people marry in order to celebrate their love and companionship.

Why can’t the same be said about an online game? I’m sure that if there are couples in-game that want to RP a marriage, adding some sort of “official” recognition through a title or flavour text in your hero panel would be enough.

And once again- we shouldn’t be pushing people to get married because of the benefit. Not only could that put A-net in a bad light (that they’re cheapening marriage as people aren’t doing it for the “right reasons”), but people shouldn’t feel forced to do it just to get the extra boon.

Weddings & passive buff

Posted by: AVM.5746

AVM.5746

How about the ability to let them teleport to your side at any time? Like an unlimited teleport to friend? I remember ragnarok online doin that with their marriage system.

Weddings & passive buff

Posted by: arenta.2953

arenta.2953

Hi!

we did this in Mabinogi (even made it possible to adopt other players as kids)

and if you partied with them. it gave a small buff.

it was fun =)

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/V6t_ItISITc/maxresdefault.jpg

Jade Quarry’s Tomoko Takei, Anabuki Tomoko, and Assassin Ahri

Weddings & passive buff

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

How about they add a little cut scene and a merchant that works as a guild banner basically.

Maybe add a way to spawn gifts and boosters at the ceremony location (for a nominal fee of course)

(edited by Prophet.6257)