Weird word censor.

Weird word censor.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: BillionStorm.8916

BillionStorm.8916

I’m trying to edit the ranks of my guild and for some reason it won’t allow me to use the word “trainer” in one of the ranks. Every time I try it just turns into “———-”. Even with maximum language filter it isn’t filtered when I type it in chat, so why is it filtered when I try to use it in the name of a guild rank?

Weird word censor.

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

While you’re at it Arena net, explain to me why ‘Illusionary’ is apparently no longer allowed in a pet name.

Did all the Illusionary Moas and drakes confuse too many people?

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

Weird word censor.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I couldn’t make a character with the last name Volsdottir because LSD was in the name….

I mean….really?

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Weird word censor.

Posted by: Maliel.8362

Maliel.8362

What annoys me the most is the fact that it censors names like kittenponte and Montenegro and that is my mums last name, because apparently it contains a racist word but in spanish means color black and nothing else.

Edit: thats weird, the first name its censored but the second one is not, whats with that?

Weird word censor.

Posted by: Darfod.9375

Darfod.9375

My favourite GW word censor comes from GW1.

One of the more difficult missions at the beginning of the Factions newbie island was to kill a character called Captain Quimang.
His name was clearly printed above his head, but if you asked other players for help in killing Quimang, the first syllable of his surname would be censored, as it is an archaic (17th century) vulgar term.

(It will be interesting to see if that syllable gets hit with the kitten filter)

Outnumbered and facedown in WSR borderlands…
… again

Weird word censor.

BillionStorm.8916

I thought it might be one of the instances where the word contained another filtered word, but the only thing that was filtered was “trainer.” Rainer and traine were both left unfiltered which means it is intended for the word “trainer” to be filtered but only when used in a guild rank. Just why?

Weird word censor.

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

One of the more difficult missions at the beginning of the Factions newbie island was to kill a character called Captain Quimang.
His name was clearly printed above his head, but if you asked other players for help in killing Quimang, the first syllable of his surname would be censored, as it is an archaic (17th century) vulgar term.

(It will be interesting to see if that syllable gets hit with the kitten filter)

I noticed the same things when fighting the kitten ed Priests in Prophecies.

Weird word censor.

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

While you’re at it Arena net, explain to me why ‘Illusionary’ is apparently no longer allowed in a pet name.

It’s not just pet names, I remember someone complaining that he couldn’t name his mesmer “Illusionist Bob” even though every other person in his guild had a mesmer named some variant of “Illusionist [Name]”. Apparently it’s some more recent change.

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

Weird word censor.

BillionStorm.8916

My Pokemon themed guild is suffering because I can’t name the lowest tier “Pokemon Trainers.” Help ANet

Weird word censor.

Posted by: Inimicus.7162

Inimicus.7162

as second tar demolished hash smoke laurels donate volsdadder assassin kitten long dong silvers kitten you got crabz an altrusist….

I don’t doubt I’m about to receive and infraction for some of that, but this is all testing mind you, but yes…the word filter has also hit dev’s and moderators posts too because it sometimes thinks a space or other character is an attempt to get around it (or more correctly, it finds the character combo in the filter list and doesn’t account for legit words)

Obviously the name list is way more strict, but they have changed some of the forum’s filter rules I see (the ones regarding spaces)

Weird word censor.

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/kittenatrice_Staff

:P

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Weird word censor.

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

Not sure if you guys are aware but the word sega is filtered in game.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

Weird word censor.

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

It’s not just pet names, I remember someone complaining that he couldn’t name his mesmer “Illusionist Bob” even though every other person in his guild had a mesmer named some variant of “Illusionist [Name]”. Apparently it’s some more recent change.

I was wondering if that was the case, and if so what happened to players already with the name.

My moa was simply defaulted to Juvenile, but I know that I’ve seen more than a few players with ‘Illusionary’ or variations there of in the name – my favorite probably being Illusionary Berserker.

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

Weird word censor.

BillionStorm.8916

Bump for justice.

Weird word censor.

Posted by: dkspins.4670

dkspins.4670

I used to have a toon Illusionist Beeste, but 86’d her since I never played her. Recently when re-creating the character for my guild, ( we have a group of clones) it wouldn’t let me use anything that had the word illusion in it. Not sure why that is.

7k hr, 13k AP, 16 char, all classes 80 Sadly, 3.5k hr. Ranger

Weird word censor.

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

I just wrote a post where I said something was "too hard (and then) on me". It became "too kitten on me." Gotta love the censor that can’t identify context. It’s no wonder most of my posts are edited within an inch of their lives.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Weird word censor.

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

I just wrote a post where I said something was “too hard (and then) on me”. It became “too kitten on me.” Gotta love the censor that can’t identify context. It’s no wonder most of my posts are edited within an inch of their lives.

Oh, I’ve seen worse game filters. At least it’s a blacklist and not a whitelist.

I remember a game I played that tried to implement a “family” server (for parents to play with their kids) that had a whitelist filter. Of course, no one’s character names were in the filter so we all had to come up with bizarre circumlocutions in order just to type each others’ names. Like if I wanted to say “Ceridwen” I’d type something like “Care Ed When” because those were all valid whitelisted words but the name itself wasn’t.

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

Weird word censor.

Posted by: Rillasi.1852

Rillasi.1852

I’m not sure why illusionary would be filtered unless Anet was catering to the particularly oblivious pvp’ers who would mistake someone named “Illusionary Mesmer” for a phantasm.

Renegatus [Ren] http://renegatus.net