Weirdest thing you've done for an ITEM?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

I maxed an Ele/Tempest with Tomes and Proof of Heroics just to get the Tempest’s Loop skin for my Necro and then deleted the Ele because I’m not fond of the playstyle. x)

What is the weirdest thing you’ve ever done to get an item?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I maxed an Ele/Tempest with Tomes and Proof of Heroics just to get the Tempest’s Loop skin for my Necro and then deleted the Ele because I’m not fond of the playstyle. x)

I create and destroy a character each week for a key run. Arguably, it’s not “weird” since so many people do that. But I’d argue that spending 10-20 minutes on the off chance you’ll get a 3,000 gold item as a drop is, indeed, weird.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Mea.5491

I create and destroy a character each week for a key run. Arguably, it’s not “weird” since so many people do that. But I’d argue that spending 10-20 minutes on the off chance you’ll get a 3,000 gold item as a drop is, indeed, weird.

Haha, yeah, we all do that. I actually used that poor Tempest to grab the key. And I got junk like always.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

o.0 whats this key run that requires you to create a new character each week?

Mea.5491

You get a key for lvl 10 story mission once a week (it resets on Monday).

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I create and delete a char every week for a key run and have the the finest gear set up for it. That’s including putting in Maguuma Burls at 30 something silver each on all the armor, weapons and trinkets slots. That was several gold for a tiny bit of stat advantage. Lol.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Illconceived Was Na.9781

You get a key for lvl 10 story mission once a week (it resets on Monday).

There are all sorts of guides out there on the net (my “favorite” is one from WoodenPotatoes — he explains how to spend less than 14 minutes on the run in a video that runs 24 minutes; aside from the length, though, it’s accurate and easily followed).

If you still can’t find one, whisper me here or in game and I can help you get setup.

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

Buying them I guess. I bought the Preserved Red Iris Flowers for my twins, because Preserved Red Iris Flower.

I can have them now with all my other flowers in my inventory.
When I was pondering about buying those I also learned about some low level red iris flower items from karma vendor and had to go get them. So I have a small collection. <3

(Flowers remind me about buying Maguuma Lilies for my twins at one gold/flower. Whew!)

let the sky fall

(edited by Traced.3495)

Posted by: Meridian.4983

Meridian.4983

A couple years ago I went through all the character starting instances (races and classes) to unlock the skins in the wardrobe.

[NA] | BP
Zombie | God | For the Pass!

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I won a player driven hide and seek riddle game in LA.

Back then 1g meant something…

Posted by: Aeristoreine.9351

Aeristoreine.9351

semi-afk, hopping around in wvw to get a gift of battle from reward track.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

I rolled a Charr I had no intention of ever playing to unlock all three tiers of cultural armour for ‘The Emperor’ title.

Posted by: Djahlat.9610

Djahlat.9610

I engaged in ERP for 2 Bolts of Damask pretending I was a girl irl.
Completed “Zinn’s Prize Student” achievement just to have the Zinn’s Study Guide book which I keep permanently in my inventory for no other purpose than personal enjoyment. I also always carry with me a full stack of Healing Seed Pods to pop trees, Ascalon Tomes to rain blue fire and Harpy Hormones to annoy people with heart effects)

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I participated in a very elaborated and RPed fashion rundown contest for a precursor. I lost, but is was really fun.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

I repeatedly obliterated a miniature city, scrambled across the inside of a snowglobe, rang bells, delivered clothes and toys, and drunk myself into idiocy in order to procure a portable snowstorm.

Posted by: Artanis.4963

Artanis.4963

I repeatedly obliterated a miniature city, scrambled across the inside of a snowglobe, rang bells, delivered clothes and toys, and drunk myself into idiocy in order to procure a portable snowstorm.

Too soon, sir. 7500 days too soon.

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

There i was, in the war for the mists. there were many enemies around, but I know strength was not enough to get the items from them that I required. One of them had the famed potato of truth, and i desired it more than all other items. So i set my mind to the task of acquiring this from said enemy.
our forces clashed, many wound up lying on the cold ground, many honored warriors lay at my feet. I knew I would miss them.
I decided that I had seen enough death for one day, and returned to the other, more boring plane of existence, Tyria. All these weird looking people with their shiny void swords, and disco ball maces, I was confused. Then I saw him.
The current owner of the potato of truth, my destiny. I decided it was best not to fight him, considering all the pesky lionguard around, and instead climbed upon my gallant steed, Trehearne the Vivacious, a magic carpet of some renown, but not as famous as the potato of truth. There were only so many options available to me, so I dug my spurs gently into the sides of my magic carpet, and yelled ‘ONWARD, TRUSTY STEEDCARPET!’ It was then my enemy saw me, and drew his bow, unconcerned about the lionguard, and started shooting. I told him I just wanted his potatoes, and he looked at me as if I was a crazed skritt. Then I picked them up and bought my precursor and crafted my Frostfang and all was right in the world.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

/thread

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Once, I slowly poisoned a mentally disabled gorilla-man to death, for a Christmas tree.

Posted by: Annonrae.3681

Annonrae.3681

I tome’d and craft-levelled all professions to 80 to unlock all their special skins, ran each one through HoT for the Hero Points to unlock the weapon collections, and then deleted everyone but my Necro, Ranger, and Mesmer.

I tome’d and craft-levelled a Sylvari to 80 to get that one achievement in the HoT story that requires a Sylvari to finish, and deleted the character 10 minutes after I got the achievement.

Also – not an item, but I levelled a Mesmer to 80 just for jumping puzzles. Later I found out I actually like the playstyle, so it’s become my sort-of-secondary main.

Mea.5491

I tome’d and craft-levelled all professions to 80 to unlock all their special skins, ran each one through HoT for the Hero Points to unlock the weapon collections, and then deleted everyone but my Necro, Ranger, and Mesmer.

I tome’d and craft-levelled a Sylvari to 80 to get that one achievement in the HoT story that requires a Sylvari to finish, and deleted the character 10 minutes after I got the achievement.

Also – not an item, but I levelled a Mesmer to 80 just for jumping puzzles. Later I found out I actually like the playstyle, so it’s become my sort-of-secondary main.

kitten , that’s amazing! :O

Posted by: cephiroth.6182

cephiroth.6182

Tomed up a character, played HoT story until after “City of Hope” with only the levelup gear and deleted the character. 6 times. Just to get the auric weapons for free. And one time wasn’t even necessary, because I still had the PvP reward track open.

(edited by cephiroth.6182)

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

Started a character (Charr ele) based off of game lore and past events,
(Flame Legion/Molten Alliance) even though there’s no default storyline that backs it up or even warrants doing such a thing. (Can’t play as evil/neutral) Always has to be the uppity, steadfast hero.

Just for the tempest shoulder skin. And only because I’m bored out of my mind by the run in the mill ele builds from the RP aspect.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Having never played PvP in GW2 before I persuaded 4 equally crazy friends to help me and signed up for the Tournament of Legends 2 just to get a mini llama.

At the time it was the only way to get them and since I collect minis I couldn’t let the opportunity pass. Fortunately luck was on our side – our first opponents didn’t turn up so we automatically got through to the second round and won the llamas! That team did turn up and absolutely obliterated us.

This wasn’t the first time I’d done something like this either. I first played WvW when I heard a mini dolyak was one of the season prizes. Before that I’d only been to the maps once before when I bought a Gift of Battle in the gap between achievement chests being added and giving everyone loads of badges and the wallet being added to store them. So I had to learn to play WvW and complete all the achievements in about 3 weeks (because I was late hearing about it). But that still seems less crazy than entering a PvP tournament.

A couple years ago I went through all the character starting instances (races and classes) to unlock the skins in the wardrobe.

I did that too. Took ages but was well worth it.

Once, I slowly poisoned a mentally disabled gorilla-man to death, for a Christmas tree.

I did that, and then went all around Tyria scavenging ornaments hidden in the strangest places for some orphan children to decorate their tree and then did not give them to the orphans!

Instead I kept a couple for myself and salvaged others for crafting materials. I’m going to hell.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Mea.5491

Tomed up a character, played HoT story until after “City of Hope” with only the levelup gear and deleted the character. 6 times. Just to get the auric weapons for free. And one time wasn’t even necessary, because I still had the PvP reward track open.

This is an awesome idea, too bad I don’t have the patience for it, lol…

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

I accidently ended up with an extra frozen fish trophy item from a heart in Frostgorge Sound once. Since then, I’ve gone out of my way to get one on all my other characters only failing once. So when someone asks a question, I can ping [Frozen Fish]! My fiance even got in on it too and that 1 inventory space is well worth it

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

Posted by: Odinius.9826

Odinius.9826

Killing the initial 3 treasure mushrooms for those invisible boots every day till....., wait I’m still doing that -_-

Posted by: Glenstorm.4059

Glenstorm.4059

I did the reverse. Made a Necro to get the Demon Masque for my Tempest, and promptly killed him off…lol

Fear the might of SHATTERSTONE.

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

I saved the orphans with a personal story and then stole from them at Christmas…I’m a reverse Grinch! I salvaged every single ornament hoping for ecto too. Daily winter’s day gift was worth it though…

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Too soon, sir. 7500 days too soon.

Yes, I posted something about serious burnout then, too. At least my daily present is up to 12 silver now.

Posted by: Ranlares.2513

Ranlares.2513

spent 2000+ gold on the ascended salvage collection for the Fatebreaker tittle and fractal reliquary

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I once made and sold a [Quip], in order to finish making and selling an [Incinerator] – sounds weird I know, but I worked out at about the halfway stage on the Incinerator, that I had enough to complete it, but not to sell it. So I bought the materials to make a Quip, and the proceeds went to the Incinerator afterwards.

The next Legendary I made after that, was another [Quip], this time to keep for myself…

Blood & Merlot [Wine]