Well played Arenanet, well played...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

When Guild Wars 1 released, one of the biggest complaints was there wasn’t any jumping in the game. So what do you do? You give us jumping. But no, you do not stop there, you make us suffer for it, you created Jumping puzzles like Dierdre’s Steps. I know Dierdre’s Steps is your sweet revenge on all those who who complained about no jumping in Guild Wars 1. My brother and I did that jumping puzzle last night for the first time, and it was intense. Well played Arenanet, Well played.

hahaha

(edited by eisberg.2379)

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

You think that one was hard? Try out Skipping Stones and the Aetherblade JP.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Arena.net seems to have a fairly long history of telling players, “Be careful what you wish for.”

Posted by: Invoker.5462

Invoker.5462

I feel like jumping puzzles are the icing on the cake for this truly incredible game. It’s not something anyone has to do but it sure is a refreshing change from the rest of the game.

Another thing worth mentioning is Southsun Survival- another off the beaten path gameplay element which is completely optional yet so fun and refreshing.

Posted by: Akagami.9861

Akagami.9861

I do love a good jumping puzzle from time to time…i did almost all of them. They are great, sick of farming, or runing paths or fractals? go do a jumping puzzle, get amazed at the complexity, scream a little, maybe cry…open the final chest and see all the blues…cry some more, but at the end of the day i love that there are such things in this game.

Gives me an Assassin’s Creed-ish feeling when doing them ^^

Posted by: Azure Fang.8605

Azure Fang.8605

I do love a good jumping puzzle from time to time…i did almost all of them. They are great, sick of farming, or runing paths or fractals? go do a jumping puzzle, get amazed at the complexity, scream a little, maybe cry…open the final chest and see all the blues…cry some more, but at the end of the day i love that there are such things in this game.

Gives me an Assassin’s Creed-ish feeling when doing them ^^

So… many… blues! They almost reduce the satisfaction of completing JPs.
<.<
>.>
Almost

Posted by: Kondra.3860

Kondra.3860

We actually had jumping in guild wars. Have you ever tried /jump ? ^^

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

There are times when I sit, head in hands, wondering what fiendish mind thought of the access route for a particular vista. I look around the lunch room and think “Which of YOU did that to me!”

I seriously, passionately hope that we have vistas in Guild Wars: Heart of Thorns, because they are the best way to see the beauty of the world, and the talent of our artists and level designers.

I just sort of wish they have an “E Z Mode” for people like me.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

There are times when I sit, head in hands, wondering what fiendish mind thought of the access route for a particular vista. I look around the lunch room and think “Which of YOU did that to me!”

I seriously, passionately hope that we have vistas in Guild Wars: Heart of Thorns, because they are the best way to see the beauty of the world, and the talent of our artists and level designers.

haha, yeah, my brother and I were talking about Vistas as well, and included those in our assessment that Arenanet is getting their revenge. =D

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Possible new gem store convenience item?

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

There is an easy mode for jumping puzzles. It’s called having a mesmer friend. Works with most of them.

I can usually one shot the Aetherblade jumping puzzle on my mesmer and from there, I can portal up guildies who don’t like to jump.

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

T

They do.. Mesmers

Posted by: Elrey.5472

Elrey.5472

I wish they also have a “hardcore Mode” for people like me, as well. I don’t like easy stuff (where easy means less than 30 minutes) xD.

My advice for Vistas, Gaile: Just try it like if nothing in the world matters. Jump near the cliff, run as fast as possible near the slippery rocks, etc. You are pixels after all! by not being in fear of falling and trying in a reckless way you actually develop the skill to not fall because you push yourself to your limits and knows exactly where to stop. Obviously this strategy takes a while to master, but once you do that, there is no game (or vista, or puzzle, or dungeon, or….) in the world able to stop you
(Hope it helps, it surely did for me).

ES Wiki Sysop. Vanquiser of the Marionette, Lover of the Aetherpath.
Aens / Ellantriel / Nao To Mori / Saelyth. Commander
Guias de Raids en español / Spanish raiding guides

Posted by: Akagami.9861

Akagami.9861

Something i really like about certain vistas and jumping puzzles is that complexity and the way they are designed. Not onced i set on a path sure as hell that it’s the right one…only to reach a dead end and have to find another route that doesn’t seem like much but it’s actually the right one.

That is dedication if you ask me! Really appreciate the people that worked on this(sure maybe from time to time i really relaly hate them… but all in good fun )

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

Some of the jumping puzzles and vista’s in this game make my Mesmer absolutely priceless, because otherwise one of my guildies might never have gotten all the jp’s and vista’s done.

Posted by: Monkey Fritz.9052

Monkey Fritz.9052

I feel like jumping puzzles are the icing on the cake for this truly incredible game. It’s not something anyone has to do but it sure is a refreshing change from the rest of the game.

Another thing worth mentioning is Southsun Survival- another off the beaten path gameplay element which is completely optional yet so fun and refreshing.

Just wait until the Super Adventure Box comes back……

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

once i learned how to do Madkings Tower or what is it called.
and i was able to do it every 2nd time from there on

i feelt like a Pro lol XD

basicaly after that Tower no other jumping puzzle feels like a challenge anymore XD

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

Posted by: metaldude.4132

metaldude.4132

You think that one was hard? Try out Skipping Stones and the Aetherblade JP.

+1…deirdres step is a breeze…LOL

Sharpen your justice. Dust off resolve. Brace your courage. The Guardian dragonhunter approaches.

Posted by: metaldude.4132

metaldude.4132

And if you find the culprit..do you kill him/her in PvP ? (I imagine smt like " you and me, PvP arena, NOW!!!) XD

Sharpen your justice. Dust off resolve. Brace your courage. The Guardian dragonhunter approaches.

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

you mean… infantile mode?

SAB confirmed.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

Are you talking About that Vista near Sorrows Embrace, took me 2 hours to get that vista (granted I was drunk but still)!

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

Take on Southsun or Dark Reverie as a Charr or norn

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

Honestly, don’t you know your workmates?
Or at least what they doing?
Don’t worry, we don’t know neither…

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

Posted by: Merus.9475

Merus.9475

It bothers me that some players with limited co-ordination aren’t able to get all the vistas, and thus world completion, because they’re behind jumping puzzles. Most of them involve climbing, and that can be done by anyone with time and patience, but a few of them involve making long leaps that not everyone has the motor control to pull off.

Anyway has Josh thought about a jumping puzzle that involves sliding down slopes to land jumps

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

It bothers me that some players with limited co-ordination aren’t able to get all the vistas, and thus world completion, because they’re behind jumping puzzles. Most of them involve climbing, and that can be done by anyone with time and patience, but a few of them involve making long leaps that not everyone has the motor control to pull off.

Anyway has Josh thought about a jumping puzzle that involves sliding down slopes to land jumps

Sliding down slopes. Sounds like a good way for us all to end up dead from that gravity/fall bug that happens with a surface with any sort of incline.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

My advice for Vistas, Gaile: Just try it like if nothing in the world matters.

There’s a lot of truth to this. Anxiety about the jumping puzzle is a huge part of the difficulty of it. It’s amazing how much easier they are if you can stay relaxed while doing them.

Posted by: BrettM.9062

BrettM.9062

Sliding down slopes. Sounds like a good way for us all to end up dead from that gravity/fall bug that happens with a surface with any sort of incline.

Indeed. Especially if your reflexes are colored by having played a bunch of Skyrim recently, where you can practically slide down a vertical cliff.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

the new “Port to friend” stones found in Black Lion chests are good for that too. That’s how we got one of the Silverwastes golden badges. LOL.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

It’s called: Rifle Engi.

Barring that, get yourself a stack of Teleport Rifles. Player-tested, Foreman-disapproved. ;D

Posted by: Squishy.3694

Squishy.3694

I love me some jumping puzzles. Gaile please pass on a thank you to whoever made Skipping Stones because after you speed run that for the blues, the world is yours! Insert evil genius not at all squeaky gerbil laugh here

Quaggan finds your post inaccurate, wrong, misinformed, smelly and not as
good as Quaggan. Quaggan for President!

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Diedre’s Steps have nothing on the Shroom of Doom.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

You know, I really like this post. You’re a darn good cc lead Gaile, keep it up!

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Wherever there are hard to reach places!

Wherever there are cliffsides that put your hairs on end!

Wherever there is a glitch in the terrain pathing!

Mesmers will be there, benevolent portals outstretched in your direction.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Deirdre’s Steps is easy but long. Like the Silverwastes jumping puzzle.

Skipping Stones, Aetherblade Site #2, and Dark Reverie are all tougher. As others have said. Particularly on charr for the third one… The number of times I’ve died on my main charr necromancer… But never on my humans and sylvari there. But the toughest are the holiday ones. Mad King’s Clocktower and Winter Wonderland.

My favorite jp remains the clock tower though. I recall get streaks of 10 easily in the second year. Never got a perfect score though.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I LOVE jumping puzzles. Its one of the top three things I like more on the game.
But I do feel cheated every time I open the final chest. Some JP take good 20 minutes to do, yet you get way more prices by killing a boss with the zerg, wich take less than 3.

Skipping Stones is way more challenge than killing the Karka Queen! Please give better rewards for ending the puzzles to those players that actually do the jumping. (I don’t mind getting blues for mesmer pity, but I want more for actually uncovering the maze)

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

(edited by Ardid.7203)

Posted by: Sampo.9678

Sampo.9678

I recently started doing the “Go for the gold” achievement
These jumps are awesome and the difficulty is perfect.

“Be brave, little rabbit. Take a chance.”