Well, truth is- no point in doing dungeons anymore.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tanef.7284

Tanef.7284

Well I dont know if it’s like that in all dungeons, but as far as CM and AC going on- there is no point doing it now whatsoever.
after an hour (at least) of investing into the dungeon, you only get 6k exp and 11s…

You can get that amount of exp from doing 3-4 events repeatedly, and with the amount of silver being tossed away for repairs- you barely make it out with a solid 6-8s.

I think Anet should have at least gave in better loot for the dungeons if they make it harder. now its just doesn’t worth the effort and simply a waste of time =\

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

How about doing it for the tokens? Or do it once a day? Dungeons were never meant to be farmed for easy exp.

Posted by: Spicyhash.7605

Spicyhash.7605

How about doing it for the tokens? Or do it once a day? Dungeons were never meant to be farmed for easy exp.

Dungeons and everything else in the game.

CD

Posted by: TRON.1085

TRON.1085

Im glad they nerfed speed clears.

Posted by: Deith.7596

Deith.7596

Well, there is point in doing every path once, just to see how it looks like and how the fights looks like. Doing it more for the visuals? Not really ?_?

None of good stories starts with “I was drinking my milk when suddenly…”

Posted by: Account.9832

Account.9832

It’s not a matter of the rewards, it’s just that, in the case of the “new” CM, it’s simply not fun.

I don’t mind hard. I loved TBC heroics and hated WotLK’s cakewalks. I tend to play in areas 4+ levels above my characters in GW2. I actually like hard. But I don’t like random. And that’s what it plays like, now.

If you wear light or even medium armor, often you’re at 100% HP and then you’re instantly dead, with some shot out of nowhere that you have no way to predict or avoid. Or you get stunned, then feared, then pushed back to some place where you camera gets stuck, and then hit with 4 bombs while you’re lying down, basically having no control over your own character for the 5 or 10 seconds that it takes you to die. And no one is going to bother trying to revive you because they know it’ll only happen to them (you can’t even blame them; it’s a 50-50 chance at best, and with those odds it’s simply not worth it).

And, of course, there are no respawn points along the way and the only place where you can repair is in the opposite direction (plus the “downed penalty” ensures that you’re completely useless if you try to run back and help your team – you will literally die before you step fully into the room). So doing CM now consists of 90% walking / lying down and 10% of hoping that you won’t get magically 1-shotted or stunlocked out of nowhere. Unless you’re a guardian, but that’s a different issue (and no, I don’t think guardians need to be nerfed; I just think other classes need to stop being 1-shotted so easily).

At some point, someone at Arena Net confused “challenging gameplay” with “a biased random number generator”.

- Al Zheimer

(edited by Account.9832)

Posted by: Mythic.5187

Mythic.5187

Hey! Someone completely said what I did. Thanks Al Zheimer

Also, the point of dungeons is the story lore and experience now. Even with the nerfs to the rewards and the buffs to the difficulty, most of them are where they should be.

The only exception at this moment is CM…

Posted by: Gathslan.1870

Gathslan.1870

There is a point.

Having FUN.

(edited by Gathslan.1870)

Posted by: Deith.7596

Deith.7596

There is a point.

Having FUN.

Best explanation to dull gameplay and features since 1999

None of good stories starts with “I was drinking my milk when suddenly…”

Posted by: Soothsayer.9476

Soothsayer.9476

There is a point.

Having FUN.

mmo players have this attitude where apparently fun doesn’t matter, it’s all about turning a game in to a job and working on it day in day out until they have ticked everything off their things-to-do list.

Posted by: Zenyatoo.4059

Zenyatoo.4059

There is a point.

Having FUN.

Well no one seems to be having any. So i’d say it was missed fairly entirely :<

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

Last time I did AC I only died once and didn’t have to repair at all. Just sayin.

Posted by: Gathslan.1870

Gathslan.1870

It is a problem with peoples attitudes/way of playing, not with the game itself.

Something is fun you do it..
That is why you do it.. not because its the fastest way to get to some goal.. or because agame tells you to do that -.-

Why play for anything but fun.

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

There is a point.

Having FUN.

mmo players have this attitude where apparently fun doesn’t matter, it’s all about turning a game in to a job and working on it day in day out until they have ticked everything off their things-to-do list.

Oh I don’t know. I think people have different ideas of what fun is. There is no single definition of fun that covers what everybody likes.

Some people like to do dungeons for challenge
Some people like to do dungeons because they like the group tactics element
Some people like to do dungeons because they will get nice rewards
Some people like to do dungeons because they just like group activities

These are a few possible reasons and more can apply.

The issue is that the end reward is for the level of the dungeon. So at level 50, doing AC gives you a level 30 gold item.

When you do explorable mode then you get tokens. The problem with the token system is that for my mesmer I decided I only like 2 of the armour sets. So I will possibly do TA and Arah. The rest I don’t care about. So when people are LFP to do TA or AC, I won’t do it.

The reason is simple. I need to do a lot of dungeons to get my exotic armour (The gold ones look the same for all). I don’t want to spend a few hours with a group hitting the same wall over and over and get a reward I won’t use.

So out of all possible, what is it, 7 or so dungeons, I will only do 2 of them and since you need to do them like 40 times to get a set together, maybe I will just do one.

I prefer a system where you can get the same tokens by doing different activities. The whole game is built around this karma thing that you can spend in various places on different items. But the variety is limited and generally reduced to green and blue items. To get yellow items it’s already a lot more limited what you can do with karma. I could get a staff for 65k karma but it’s got crappy stats and the cultural armour costs cash. No option to pay with karma there.

Same with dungeons. They should give the same tokens so you can choose where to spend them without limiting which dungeons you are willing to do. You’d just get more tokens for higher level dungeons and perhaps you can use a dungeon specific token that you receive on completion of a dungeon and only need 1 of those per armour piece.

It would encourage people to play more dungeons and not just select one or two which in my view would increase grouping chances for any dungeon.

Apparently level 80s are just doign CoF and Arah mostly cause of the rewards and they are the ones who do the speed clears that are now causing the gold limit to be put into place. A shame but necessary or you have 5% of players who own 90% of the gold in the player’s hands.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

In previous MMOs I used to love running them over and over again because each boss dropped a rare with a unique skin or stats. Then developers started introducing tokens or badges to dungeons and RNG became a thing of the past. Ever since then I have hated doing dungeons. Call me shallow if you must, I admit I love doing dungeons for loot (mainly for costumes) but I only enjoyed RNG drops for the gambling rush. Repeating dungeons for guaranteed tokens is a horrible grind in my eyes that replicates the struggles of real life. I play games to escape and enjoy the rush or high I get from a rare drop, I get no rush whatsover when I finally collect enough tokens and go… ’I’m glad that’s over’.

For the sake of a well known example i will use WoWs vanilla content vs WoWs later
badge content. My favorite armor set in WoW was the blue dungeon set. Each piece dropped in a different dungeon with only a minute chance that my piece would
drop. I loved doing these dungeons and when I finally finished the set I had already
surpassed its stats with better items. even though I had better gear, that one 8 piece set was still my favorite.

So far GW2 is doing everything in its power to stop farming, whether it be gold or items or trophies. Is it a ploy to get people to spend more real money for gems? idk.

Posted by: Swagman.9013

Swagman.9013

No point at all, other than gear, lore, fun. No point other than those… Wait why am I playing an mmo at all

Posted by: Wintyre Fraust.6534

Wintyre Fraust.6534

There is a point.

Having FUN.

Well no one seems to be having any. So i’d say it was missed fairly entirely :<

I think you’re mistaking “yourself” and a handful of people in the forum for “everyone”.

Posted by: Dexter.1745

Dexter.1745

I think it’s amazing .. this type of behvaiour. Lemme describe it
“Player, let’s call him John, find’s the easiest and fastest possible way to “skip” playing the content to get to his “personal goal”, let’s say it’s full exotics gear, as soon as possible. So John starts doing the routine, literally exploiting game mechanics, totally oblivious of the fact that he is in fact exploiting, and has no idea what that word even means. He arguments his case with stuff like “if it’s in the game, ANET put it there, then it’s not an exploit”, once again, totally ignorant.
So naturally, one day Devs “fix” the problem and prevent the minority of losers like that from ruining the economy slowly and gaming experience for everyone else and here comes John crying like a little baby, straight to the forums, yelling “all fun is ruined”. Again, totally ignorant of the pure definition of the word fun, so weakminded that he doesn’t even know what his own taste interprets as fun, because the thing he’s actually been doing the whole time.. is curing his inferiority complex by “being top geared, faster than most”."

Sad to say, I’ve seen this over years in literally all MMO games I played, and I played many.
So to everyone else who bought GW2 to have fun and enojy themselves.. just ignore this kind of “players”. And remember, your kind of people doesn’t have a need to go scream on the forum, they are enjoying the game. This is why forums always appear “filled with angry players”.