Were DE nerfed in the last two years?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ashanor.5319

Ashanor.5319

I ask because I just came back to the game and they seem much less frequent than they used to be. I mean, I hit level six and the only event that popped up in range of me was over before I got to it. I remember back at release (and up to a year after) I could run back and forth doing events to level, but that doesn’t seem to be the case anymore.

Posted by: OtterPaws.2036

OtterPaws.2036

DE?

~Hart Warband~
Levi Ironhart, Cassandra Irehart, Lucio Trothart
Discord Gearhart, Naevius Soulhart, Frisk Softhart

Ashanor.5319

DE?

Dynamic Events.

Posted by: OtterPaws.2036

OtterPaws.2036

Ahh, from what I understand since I havent been playing that long, they revamped the starting zones to ease the transition into playing, less events may have been a part of that.

~Hart Warband~
Levi Ironhart, Cassandra Irehart, Lucio Trothart
Discord Gearhart, Naevius Soulhart, Frisk Softhart

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

DE?

Daggers Elementalist

Posted by: kamedin.4698

kamedin.4698

Yes, they made the game too easy so Anet nerfed them and put longer timers on them or changed certain foes from Champions to either Elites or Veterans so they wouldn’t give as much experience.

Lyscir – Main Engi
[????] – HoD

Ashanor.5319

Yes, they made the game too easy so Anet nerfed them and put longer timers on them or changed certain foes from Champions to either Elites or Veterans so they wouldn’t give as much experience.

Only problem with that is I liked running around doing events when I played the first year after release.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

As far as I know they haven’t changed the frequency of events overall. However there are a few things which can affect how many you encounter.

Firstly they drastically reduced the amount of XP and therefore time it takes to get through the first few levels (only up to about level 5). You can get almost a whole level from a single heart now. Which means there’s a lot less time in which to encounter events while you’re going through those levels, so it’s not surprising you saw less of them.

(In case you’re wondering later levels are unchanged, so no need to worry that getting from 70-80 will take forever now.)

Secondly the number of people in the area can affect the number of events available, but it affects different events in different ways depending on how they work. Some, particularly ‘retake this location’ style events are more commonly encountered in empty maps because they start when another event has failed and remain active until someone completes them. But those are relatively rare.

Others will fail, simply end or never even start if there aren’t people around. Often the first event in a chain will start regardless of whether anyone is around, fail because it can’t succeed without player participation and then it will be inactive for a fixed amount of time before it starts again.

Which means you’re likely to encounter more events in busy maps where people can keep event chain running all the time. When the game first came out almost everyone was packed into the starting zones so events were being trigged as soon as they popped up (and the failure events almost never got a chance to run). Now people are much more spread out, but more likely to be in level 80 zones so there are fewer people to keep event chains running.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Ashanor.5319

As far as I know they haven’t changed the frequency of events overall. However there are a few things which can affect how many you encounter.

Firstly they drastically reduced the amount of XP and therefore time it takes to get through the first few levels (only up to about level 5). You can get almost a whole level from a single heart now. Which means there’s a lot less time in which to encounter events while you’re going through those levels, so it’s not surprising you saw less of them.

(In case you’re wondering later levels are unchanged, so no need to worry that getting from 70-80 will take forever now.)

Secondly the number of people in the area can affect the number of events available, but it affects different events in different ways depending on how they work. Some, particularly ‘retake this location’ style events are more commonly encountered in empty maps because they start when another event has failed and remain active until someone completes them. But those are relatively rare.

Others will fail, simply end or never even start if there aren’t people around. Often the first event in a chain will start regardless of whether anyone is around, fail because it can’t succeed without player participation and then it will be inactive for a fixed amount of time before it starts again.

Which means you’re likely to encounter more events in busy maps where people can keep event chain running all the time. When the game first came out almost everyone was packed into the starting zones so events were being trigged as soon as they popped up (and the failure events almost never got a chance to run). Now people are much more spread out, but more likely to be in level 80 zones so there are fewer people to keep event chains running.

I see. Thanks for the information. Hopefully it picks up and I start seeing more soon.

Danikat.8537

I don’t think they actually removed any events when they did that. They changed a lot of enemies from champions to veterans or elites so they wouldn’t drop champion bags – which stopped high level players rushing around low level zones killing all the champions and harassing anyone who started events outside of their preferred order.

But those events still appear, they’re just not as popular now they don’t drop the best rewards in the game.

Posted by: SimBilly.8047

SimBilly.8047

DE?

Daggers Elementalist

LOL

Danikat.8537

I see. Thanks for the information. Hopefully it picks up and I start seeing more soon.

You will definitely see more events as you level up, regardless of the number of other people around. Originally the plan was for the game to only have dynamic events. Heart quests were put in to give players used to a quest system time to adjust and practice finding events, but they become rarer and events more common as you go through the maps. The level 80 maps have no hearts at all and everything revolves around events.

Several have huge, complicated map-wide meta event chains which require large groups of players to work together to complete. Some people hate that, but other people love it.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Depending on when you were last around there was a change that made it so it only shows the closest event(although sometimes you can see more than one) instead of all active events on the map. That would change does make it look like there are much fewer events around.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

When you stopped playing before, had Anet implemented the mega-server system? If not, what you may be seeing is that on a less-populated server, there were not a lot of people doing events. Now, with the population higher in most zones, I see a lot less events than I did them.

Ashanor.5319

When you stopped playing before, had Anet implemented the mega-server system? If not, what you may be seeing is that on a less-populated server, there were not a lot of people doing events. Now, with the population higher in most zones, I see a lot less events than I did them.

No, they hadn’t added the mega server system when I left. I did briefly come back after they had added that but didn’t stick around long or level any alts.

Ashanor.5319

Depending on when you were last around there was a change that made it so it only shows the closest event(although sometimes you can see more than one) instead of all active events on the map. That would change does make it look like there are much fewer events around.

That could be it. I am used to seeing all the active events on the map. Is there any way to see what events are going on?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

And I hate that. Let me see the events and I’ll decide if I want to try to get to them. It’s more than annoying to look at the map and see maybe one event and you know there are more out there. It makes the map look barren and lifeless when no events are showing.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

No, they hadn’t added the mega server system when I left. I did briefly come back after they had added that but didn’t stick around long or level any alts.

If not the sole cause, mega-server is going to be a heavy contributor to the phenomenon you’re talking about. With anyone in the region (i.e., NA) who is in a given map in one map copy unless there are enough to produce an overflow, there is a greater chance that someone is going to have done an event before you get there. On the old low pop servers, I couldn’t go 1000 units without seeing an event. Now, it’s chancy for me. I’ll run through whole zones without seeing one sometimes, but other times I see several.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

DE?

Destiny’s Edge got nerfed hard in Heart of Thorns. Well, maybe except for Rytlock

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

At the moment I think there may be a problem with the DE notification system in some zones. SB doesn’t even show up when it spawns and I had a tough time finding events in CF yesterday as the content guild wasn’t pointing me to any.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Necrotic.7820

Necrotic.7820

First there is the “New Player Experience” which is what Anet did to low level zones once Black Lion Chest Key farming began to impact their sales of keys in the Gemstore…they also claim it was designed to help out new players. It eliminated certain mechanics and changed how some events worked in addition to the revamping of skill acquisition. It also quite nearly guaranteed that most new players are completely unaware of certain mechanics until later in the game.

I’m also reasonably certain that most new players have no idea how to use the chat system and don’t bother to either ask for help at an event or even announce it so that others have a chance to participate in it. They would rather spend 10-15 minutes fighting a single boss with their two friends, dying repeatedly than call out that a map boss is up and get a bunch or people to show up and “steal their loot” from them. Maybe they don’t even know that they CAN communicate with all of the players in the zone.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

If not the sole cause, mega-server is going to be a heavy contributor to the phenomenon you’re talking about. With anyone in the region (i.e., NA) who is in a given map in one map copy unless there are enough to produce an overflow, there is a greater chance that someone is going to have done an event before you get there. On the old low pop servers, I couldn’t go 1000 units without seeing an event. Now, it’s chancy for me. I’ll run through whole zones without seeing one sometimes, but other times I see several.

Absolutely. I haven’t even seen a few of my favourite events since megaservers were introduced.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?