What GW 2 could learn from BotW

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gomes.5643

Gomes.5643

Hi folks,

as a really long Guild Wars and Zelda fan I was really happy when Nintendo decided to go back to open worlds for their franchise. Now, after the initial hype has cooled down a bit I am really eager to discuss if Arena Net could learn something from Nintendos newest sucess for their nearer or further future. Because regardless what you may personally think of that game, one of the highest scores on Metacritic and almost 4 Million Sales in the first month are a benchmark that tells its own story.

Well, I am well aware that one game is a MMO and the other one a singleplayer adventure, so why do I want them to compare nevertheless? Because while playing BotW I realized that the developers took a whole lot of concepts which are also present in Guild Wars 2. And just adapted them to match their concept. So I asked myself the question if this could be done the other way around……

If you do not believe my word, here are some concepts from Guild Wars 2 which are also present in Zelda BotW:

- Enviromental Weapons: While that concepts was kind of scratched in GW2, Nintendo has pushed it to the limit. Every enemy drops its weapon, which can be picked up by you or other enemies. The game goes so far that the environment itself (tress, stones, rocks and even grass …. GRASS…..) can be transformed into a deadly weapon.

- Weapon skills: While Zelda do not have skills in a traditional sense, every weapon type has it own characteristics, strengths and attacks you can perform with it. There is also a simple combo system like frozen enemies can be pushed further (an example that was advertised for GW2 but sadly never realized ….) or you can create a fire to generate an uplift to push yourself into the air with a glider (which I want really badly to also be a feature in gw2 ……)

- Dynamic events: Ok the zelda system is really barebone in this regard. But still – on your adventures you run into fellow hylians who are under attack by monsters or into a miniboss which comes out of nowhere etc.

- Cooking: Obviously not the system itself, but in both games you mainly cook by putting “fitting” ingredients together and look what it will become.

Gomes.5643

So then finally to the stuff why could probably see in future. Maybe in an expansion, maybe in Guild Wars 3 (if that will ever become a thing) or maybe in a complete other MMO ….. who knows?

A living breathing world: One of the biggest accomplishment which immediately hit my eye was how much character and complexity the world has. Enemies perform different activities like hunting, dancing, sleeping and sitting together at the bonefire instead of just standing on their spawnpoint and waiting to get killed. Wildlife will spot and flee from you, wolves will run away if they loose number advantages etc etc. The world is just so ….. alive ….. I think there was an thread about improving wild life in Guild Wars 2 just recently and most people said that it should only have a low priority because it does not really create new content. That ofc is true but I was surprised on how much immersion and atmosphere the game creates of details like that are done right, so I wouldnt underestimate it.

Oh what lies beyond those mountains?: One thing BotW Overworld does exceptionally well is the ratio between content and size. The world is scaled with purpose in way that there are parts which are just empty. While that sound contraproductive it really enhances the gaming experience. The most common way in which players play the game goes like – see something in the distant, plan to go there, get distracted, get distracted from the distraction, forget where you wanted to go in the first place, see something in the distant …… and so on. Which leads in most cases to the feeling of “getting lost in the world” (in a positive sense of course)

Weapon durabillity: The whole endgame discussion would be obsolet if your ascended weapon would just break after using them a few times and you have to farm them again …… ok just kidding

Total Freedom: Climbing……. You can climb everthing in BotW. EVERYTHING. That opens the map in an unbelievable way and make every hill to a new goal, every wall to an obstacle, every mountain range to a challenge. Works extremely well with gliding.

See those mountains in the background? You can get there!: One thing every zelda does extremly well is the placements of Points of Interest (Like Death Mountain, temples, Hyrule Castle etc). Those can be seen over miles away in the distant. In this game there are also travelling merchants etc which tell you stories about places and cities from the other side of the map. That generates a thrill of anticipation to finally go to those distant places and explore them first hand.

Probably most of what I have written, requires at least a new expansion (when not even a new game at all) to make it happen. But I am really waiting for an MMO which is based on these design philosophies ……..

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a comment. Not everyone knows the video game’s acronyms by heart. You might want to say what BotW stands for.

Presumably it’s Breath of the Wild?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Breath_of_the_Wild

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Oh what lies beyond those mountains?: One thing BotW Overworld does exceptionally well is the ratio between content and size. The world is scaled with purpose in way that there are parts which are just empty. While that sound contraproductive it really enhances the gaming experience. The most common way in which players play the game goes like – see something in the distant, plan to go there, get distracted, get distracted from the distraction, forget where you wanted to go in the first place, see something in the distant …… and so on. Which leads in most cases to the feeling of “getting lost in the world” (in a positive sense of course)

That is exactly how I play GW2 most of the time. Even when I don’t mean to – I made a keyrunner once and ended up spending half an hour climbing around Queensdale to get good screenshots of the windmill…after fully exploring the inside of it.

Here’s a screenshot I took once when I caught myself doing that. I set out from the waypoint intending to go straight to the heart and vista. Then I think I saw an event so I went to join in, then I resumed my trip, then I think I went looking for a gathering node, then I was checking if there were any interesting caves, then there was some more gathering, then I was taking screenshots on the bluff, then I finally made my way into the camp.

This was a relatively short detour for me. It can often lead me literally all across the map, or onto a totally different map. I once set out to get one POI in Verdant Brink and ended up 1/2 way across the map, right at the top of the canopy doing a jumping puzzle I didn’t know existed and then gliding around looking for the way to a different POI before I remembered what I was supposed to be doing. Fortunately I don’t mind things like that, I enjoy it more than strictly focusing on just 1 goal and then moving onto the next one and never going off that path unless I’m sure there’s a reward for it.

Attachments:

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Esquilax.3491

Esquilax.3491

This is pretty apples and oranges. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is like a more action focused third person Skyrim. I can’t really find that many similarities to GW2 aside from it being third person.

Posted by: Odokuro.5049

Odokuro.5049

TL/DR: Let’s make GW2 into a Zelda Clone.

The Self-Proclaimed Pervy Sage of Yaks Bend.
https://www.twitch.tv/amazinphelix

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I have to say, I thought that Guild Wars 2 would be greatly enhanced if it incorporated some of the things found in Breath of the Wild. Something like Korok Seeds would add a lot of content. Maybe model Hero Challenges more after the way Shrines work would be welcome. More quests from the occasional wandering (or not) NPC. (The Caladbolg quest seemed to fit the bill; and that was popular, I believe.) Memories and Blood Moon would probably work in GW2. We have Treasure Chests, but more as in BotW would be fun. The power Runes that give Link special abilities could be Masteries in GW2. Etc., etc.,

I would love to see some of the features/content/ideas from Breath of the Wild in Guild Wars 2. Come on, Devs, you can do it! \o/

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

So let me get this straight, you guys want ANet to make GW2 more like a single player game?

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

So let me get this straight, you guys want ANet to make GW2 more like a single player game?

I don’t think that’s a fair assessment of the requests. I think the requests are for more open world experiences within GW2.

I’m not sure any of the suggestions are feasible, but I don’t believe anyone (in this thread at least) is asking for GW2 to become more like a single player game.

Posted by: Acnologia.6934

Acnologia.6934

Guild wars 3. All this but no open world. The map completition could be a mess lul.

Gomes.5643

I don’t think that’s a fair assessment of the requests. I think the requests are for more open world experiences within GW2.

Exactly. Its just about the world design. GW2 is an Multiplayer game and should stay one, but that does not mean that nice features of singleplayer titles cannot be adapted into a multiplayer game.

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Exactly. Its just about the world design. GW2 is an Multiplayer game and should stay one, but that does not mean that nice features of singleplayer titles cannot be adapted into a multiplayer game.

I said it somewhere else recently, but … I’d love to see an MMO company that experimented with the policy: “this team needs to ship something new every two weeks”.

The goal being that, eg, new dynamic events, mini-boss events in the world, gradually grown quest chains, etc, ship on a routine basis, and the team become expert at getting things done fast. Bonus points if it included adding new creatures, textures, bones, etc, on a routine basis to just gradually expand further and further across the range of things that you run into in the world…

I don’t know if it would work out well, but it’d be an interesting experiment to be sure!

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

I said it somewhere else recently, but … I’d love to see an MMO company that experimented with the policy: “this team needs to ship something new every two weeks”.

The goal being that, eg, new dynamic events, mini-boss events in the world, gradually grown quest chains, etc, ship on a routine basis, and the team become expert at getting things done fast. Bonus points if it included adding new creatures, textures, bones, etc, on a routine basis to just gradually expand further and further across the range of things that you run into in the world…

I don’t know if it would work out well, but it’d be an interesting experiment to be sure!

Living world season 1 did exactly that, tying it all up in a grand storyline that eventually culminated in the new designs used in season two and beyond.

Unless you’re talking about much smaller and less noteworthy (and less marketable) updates, in which case we don’t really live in a world where that type of thing is viable, since it’s the big stuff that draws in paying customers and is more likely to keep veterans as well. In a perfect world this would be fantastic, but in the real world, it isn’t viable.

SlippyCheeze.5483

Living world season 1 did exactly that, tying it all up in a grand storyline that eventually culminated in the new designs used in season two and beyond.

Unless you’re talking about much smaller and less noteworthy (and less marketable) updates, in which case we don’t really live in a world where that type of thing is viable, since it’s the big stuff that draws in paying customers and is more likely to keep veterans as well. In a perfect world this would be fantastic, but in the real world, it isn’t viable.

I’m talking about testing the thesis that small updates adding variety on a constant basis, plus much rarer large updates, are sufficient to not just succeed, but excel, in the MMO market.

So, no, it’d be much more “add two or three new dynamic events across Tyria every week or two”, or “add a new type of monster in the open world”, or whatever … plus the LS3 paced larger scale updates.

Like I say, it’s an idea that I think would be interesting to test … but I can’t say it’d be a success. I think it might, but IDK, could be a huge flop because people would regard that small but constantly growing world as pointless compared to rare, large updates.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I’m talking about testing the thesis that small updates adding variety on a constant basis, plus much rarer large updates, are sufficient to not just succeed, but excel, in the MMO market.

So, no, it’d be much more “add two or three new dynamic events across Tyria every week or two”, or “add a new type of monster in the open world”, or whatever … plus the LS3 paced larger scale updates.

Like I say, it’s an idea that I think would be interesting to test … but I can’t say it’d be a success. I think it might, but IDK, could be a huge flop because people would regard that small but constantly growing world as pointless compared to rare, large updates.

That was LS1, the staff got stressed the vocal people where vocal and it did keep people playing and paying for “stuff” on a regular basis.
They switched to LS2 model due to stress and people not actually wanting what you are asking for even though there where more consistent log-in numbers during this time.

SlippyCheeze.5483

That was LS1, the staff got stressed the vocal people where vocal and it did keep people playing and paying for “stuff” on a regular basis.
They switched to LS2 model due to stress and people not actually wanting what you are asking for even though there where more consistent log-in numbers during this time.

Hrm. I thought the stress mostly came from the fact that the world changed, and the content went away after two weeks — so if you missed it, it was gone forever.

I’m thinking of things like that persist in the world, or at least last for years. Like, adding new dynamic events — extend the slime investigations where you had that big fight with the blob in the Asura starting zone, to do something else with slime, or add a new caravan route to a Charr zone.

Maybe long term changes, like building a new town, over the course of literally years, but not “do it now, or it vanishes.”

My theory is that this (a) adds life to the world, and (b) gradually builds a bigger and bigger pool of content for players to interact with, without everything having to be world shakingly huge. (Plus it gets the teams really, really good at delivering content fast, making it easier to grow the scope of what they build over time.)

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I was mostly talking about developer stress, though some players worked themselves up as well.

SlippyCheeze.5483

I was mostly talking about developer stress, though some players worked themselves up as well.

haha, yeah, it would be a radically different world for developers. I doubt you could just change from the current model to the new model without having aimed for it from the start.

the same way that GW2 doesn’t do downtime, but pretty much every other MMO does, and those other games couldn’t just adopt what anet did easily.

Danikat.8537

Actually that idea sounds more like the Current Events which may or may not tie directly into the Season 3 storyline at some point.

They did once, very early on in the game’s life, add a bunch of new dynamic events to existing zones and I think there were plans to do that periodically and maybe build on some of those to create new stand-alone storylines. Apparently that plan was dropped because they found people weren’t seeking out the new events, they only did them if they happened to come across them.

Which still annoys me, nearly 5 years on, because I can’t see how we could do anything else. Literally all we were told was that there were new events, nothing about what they were or how to find them. The game was still new at that point so the Wiki didn’t even include all the events that were in at launch and I can’t imagine anyone had seen (let alone memorised) them all. There was no way for us to seek them out even if we wanted to (which I did).

The only events I know were part of that update are the ones where you fight Modus Sceleris guild members. I suspect that’s part of the stuff they intended to build on later, but so far they haven’t.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Actually that idea sounds more like the Current Events which may or may not tie directly into the Season 3 storyline at some point.

They did once, very early on in the game’s life, add a bunch of new dynamic events to existing zones and I think there were plans to do that periodically and maybe build on some of those to create new stand-alone storylines. Apparently that plan was dropped because they found people weren’t seeking out the new events, they only did them if they happened to come across them.

Which still annoys me, nearly 5 years on, because I can’t see how we could do anything else. Literally all we were told was that there were new events, nothing about what they were or how to find them. The game was still new at that point so the Wiki didn’t even include all the events that were in at launch and I can’t imagine anyone had seen (let alone memorised) them all. There was no way for us to seek them out even if we wanted to (which I did).

The only events I know were part of that update are the ones where you fight Modus Sceleris guild members. I suspect that’s part of the stuff they intended to build on later, but so far they haven’t.

I remember that, and didn’t they add the new events during a festival?

I thought it was pretty unfair that they add a few new events during a busy time to some random place(s) in the map without telling the players about it beforehand and then post saying they wouldn’t add more events since no one noticed what they had done.

At any rate, they’ve already tried adding new events to the old maps and decided it wasn’t worth it.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Danikat.8537

I remember that, and didn’t they add the new events during a festival?

I thought it was pretty unfair that they add a few new events during a busy time to some random place(s) in the map without telling the players about it beforehand and then post saying they wouldn’t add more events since no one noticed what they had done.

At any rate, they’ve already tried adding new events to the old maps and decided it wasn’t worth it.

Yeah it was the same update that kicked off the 1st Halloween event.

Come to think of it that means their plans at the time would have been very different. Originally they weren’t even going to do 2 week/1 month long releases like Season 1. The first Halloween was released in stages and some things only happened once, or only on certain days and if you missed it then it was gone forever. That was apparently their plan for all new content – ‘live’ events that left a permanent impact on the world. (Like exploding the poor lion fountain.)

Fortunately they only did that for the one Halloween and the Lost Shores event then scrapped it because it was a mess. It was replaced with the Season 1 and I suppose that also replaced the gradually added new events.

Although the Current Events system may be a attempt to reintroduce a bit of that original concept, just in a less annoying way. We still don’t know if they’re going to be permanent or if they’ll disappear when Season 3 ends.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

what could botw learn from gw2… put a gemstore for gliders ^^ And also harder stuff for once you beat the end boss or whatever But tbh ganon was worse than zhaitan

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Hi folks,

as a really long Guild Wars and Zelda fan I was really happy when Nintendo decided to go back to open worlds for their franchise. Now, after the initial hype has cooled down a bit I am really eager to discuss if Arena Net could learn something from Nintendos newest sucess for their nearer or further future. Because regardless what you may personally think of that game, one of the highest scores on Metacritic and almost 4 Million Sales in the first month are a benchmark that tells its own story.

Well, I am well aware that one game is a MMO and the other one a singleplayer adventure, so why do I want them to compare nevertheless? Because while playing BotW I realized that the developers took a whole lot of concepts which are also present in Guild Wars 2. And just adapted them to match their concept. So I asked myself the question if this could be done the other way around……

If you do not believe my word, here are some concepts from Guild Wars 2 which are also present in Zelda BotW:

- Enviromental Weapons: While that concepts was kind of scratched in GW2, Nintendo has pushed it to the limit. Every enemy drops its weapon, which can be picked up by you or other enemies. The game goes so far that the environment itself (tress, stones, rocks and even grass …. GRASS…..) can be transformed into a deadly weapon.

Nope. More profession weapons, slot skills and traits are what’s needed.

- Weapon skills: While Zelda do not have skills in a traditional sense, every weapon type has it own characteristics, strengths and attacks you can perform with it. There is also a simple combo system like frozen enemies can be pushed further (an example that was advertised for GW2 but sadly never realized ….) or you can create a fire to generate an uplift to push yourself into the air with a glider (which I want really badly to also be a feature in gw2 ……)

Nope. We already have combo fields.

- Dynamic events: Ok the zelda system is really barebone in this regard. But still – on your adventures you run into fellow hylians who are under attack by monsters or into a miniboss which comes out of nowhere etc.

Nope. GW2 has great events, and I doubt that game does events better than this game.

- Cooking: Obviously not the system itself, but in both games you mainly cook by putting “fitting” ingredients together and look what it will become.

Nope. We have an extensive crafting system already.

Bolded responses…

We don’t need the devs to waste time and resources on any of the stuff you listed in this post or the other one.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

zealex.9410

Hi folks,

Nope. GW2 has great events, and I doubt that game does events better than this game.

Bolded responses…

We don’t need the devs to waste time and resources on any of the stuff you listed in this post or the other one.

i wouldnt mind the immersiveness of botw crafting system or ff14’s for that matter

Swagger.1459

Hi folks,

Bolded responses…

i wouldnt mind the immersiveness of botw crafting system or ff14’s for that matter

I’m sure the devs could add a thousand layers of immersion to every aspect of the game, but that means they would need to make major sacrifices to the really important things this game needs and is lacking in.

zealex.9410

Hi folks,

Bolded responses…

I’m sure the devs could add a thousand layers of immersion to every aspect of the game, but that means they would need to make major sacrifices to the really important things this game needs and is lacking in.

tell me one of those things they are focushing on now?

Swagger.1459

Hi folks,

Bolded responses…

You didn’t understand my statement.

zealex.9410

Hi folks,

Bolded responses…

You didn’t understand my statement.

If i understand correctly u meant they could but there are many more importand things they should work on that the game needs no?

Gomes.5643

Bolded responses…

Ähm but you realize that the actual suggestion are in the second post? What you are commented on was stuff which were first in GW2 and then also became a thing (because of accident or Nintendo beeing inspired by ArenaNet) in Zelda. My point was, that if you could take nice working concepts from GW2 and make them a thing in Zelda then you can also take nice working concepts of Zelda and make them a thing in GW2. Or GW3.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

While that concepts was kind of scratched in GW2, Nintendo has pushed it to the limit.

I wish they hadn’t given up on elemental weapons. It was such a unique, cool, concept for a MMORPG. But instead of making them powerful single-shot items, they’re just “yeah” now. They exist, but they’re mostly useless unless a fight specifically requires you to use one.

TL/DR: Let’s make GW2 into a Zelda Clone.

Honestly at this point making it into a WoW clone would be a massive improvement already. Nevermind taking the world building from Zelda, which is frankly fantastic.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.