What Happened to Hardened Leather?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fremtid.3528

Fremtid.3528

The prices went from 20s to 35s a section its insane literally insane.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Which is what it was before the announcement of there being a leather farm. I also noticed that the price went down upon the release of every LS episode. Maybe the issue that not enough players are farming.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Never really understood the QQ over this. What is it used for again?

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

All exotic armor, and moreso for exotic medium armor. And it’s also used in Exotic Bows, but to a lesser extent.

ArchonWing.9480

All exotic armor, and moreso for exotic medium armor. And it’s also used in Exotic Bows, but to a lesser extent.

Most of these generally have named counterparts that have most of the stats that can be bought for much less than crafting it on the TP.

Crafting exotic HoT armor has generally been a waste of gold. I mean it could be for the min-maxing, but in terms of pve is there much use in anything besides zerker? I guess for raids, but raiders that can’t afford exotics?

So I was thinking is there any other use? The only thing I can think of is if you’re really into making exotic marauders. Or Nomads. Or Celestial, but exotic celestial was always trash.

It doesn’t make any sense to me to spend so much on exotics, even before hardened leather was cheaper.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Gorani.7205

Gorani.7205

Don’t forget stuff like guild hall upgrades and decorations, so actually fun extras ANet has put into the game for players to enjoy.

Well, unless you discover that e.g. chisels take huge amounts of leather squares to make statues. Just look at a god statue, which needs 30 Orichalcum Chisels. One chisel needs 4 Cured Hardened Leather Squares.
That’s around 120g for just the leather component of this decoration. Considering the rest needed to make e.g. A Balthazar statue, it does perhaps make up another 12g (max.), you can clearly see the leather problem. (Which is mainly with the neglected recipe, not the leather supply in general. But it shows how much Anet’s people are out of the loop with what “leather in general” generates problems)

Member of The Guildwars Online Guild [GWO]
Still keeps a volume of Kurzick poems ;)

ArchonWing.9480

Don’t forget stuff like guild hall upgrades and decorations, so actually fun extras ANet has put into the game for players to enjoy.

Well, unless you discover that e.g. chisels take huge amounts of leather squares to make statues. Just look at a god statue, which needs 30 Orichalcum Chisels. One chisel needs 4 Cured Hardened Leather Squares.
That’s around 120g for just the leather component of this decoration. Considering the rest needed to make e.g. A Balthazar statue, it does perhaps make up another 12g (max.), you can clearly see the leather problem. (Which is mainly with the neglected recipe, not the leather supply in general. But it shows how much Anet’s people are out of the loop with what “leather in general” generates problems)

That makes more sense. Scribe seems to cost an arm and a leg.

Posted by: Mahou.3924

Mahou.3924

Most of these generally have named counterparts that have most of the stats that can be bought for much less than crafting it on the TP.

Crafting exotic HoT armor has generally been a waste of gold. I mean it could be for the min-maxing, but in terms of pve is there much use in anything besides zerker? I guess for raids, but raiders that can’t afford exotics?

So I was thinking is there any other use? The only thing I can think of is if you’re really into making exotic marauders. Or Nomads. Or Celestial, but exotic celestial was always trash.

It doesn’t make any sense to me to spend so much on exotics, even before hardened leather was cheaper.

The usual case of just because YOU see no reason in doing it, does NOT mean there’s no problem or reason to make a fuss about it. Exotic Zerker gear is always ~3x+ more expensive than, for example, rabid gear. (~80-90 silver). And while you don’t see the problem, I rather prefer, for example, exotic Marauder on my thief due to my low skill level (which will hardly increase due to my playing habits), and I don’t draw much please of farming gold non-stop during on-off gaming times, so going for Ascended’s intended gold-sink spiral is in my particular case out of question.
But I agree that there are alternative ways, like the VB’s bladed armor where you can obtain most armor parts, without doing the whole meta (for the chest piece), karma if you have it en masse or find pleasure in farming it, and dungeons if you are into it.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Their latest rewards reduction patch is what’s at fault here… Salvage Wars 2 FTL

for a sec there i thought you were nemesis ;-;

#onecanhopefornecrohybridbuilds

Fremtid.3528

This is my biggest hardened leather QQ beef these statues have cost me an arm and a leg so far and i’d like to make more but i can’t reasonably justify it.

Fremtid.3528

Not to mention the statues cost over 6 g just in base decorations (boulders 25 of them)

ArchonWing.9480

The usual case of just because YOU see no reason in doing it, does NOT mean there’s no problem or reason to make a fuss about it.

Sure. But the burden of proof isn’t on me.

Exotic Zerker gear is always ~3x+ more expensive than, for example, rabid gear. (~80-90 silver). And while you don’t see the problem, I rather prefer, for example, exotic Marauder on my thief due to my low skill level (which will hardly increase due to my playing habits), and I don’t draw much please of farming gold non-stop during on-off gaming times, so going for Ascended’s intended gold-sink spiral is in my particular case out of question.

Well, first things first. Exotic Berserker’s is like what? 30 gold for a set. That’s the equivalent about half a month worth of dailies. If gold is truly a problem, then I would actually consider rares because armor is actually the least important equipment, and of those chest/legs/helm/boots matter more. Trinkets and weapons contribute more to stats anyways.

Second, I did bring up Marauders as one of those exceptions if you didn’t notice. But once you acquire the armor, that’s the end of that. It doesn’t require a constant stream of leather.

Third, if you want to save gold, there’s always mis-mashing Valkyrie (well okay, that’s sort of expensive for most parts) Soldier and zerker to nearly the same effect. I mean, if you have no intention of min-maxing, then I am not sure what’s the point in being so precise about these stats. I mean, sure Marauder may have better stats, but real world performance will be so marginal to the point I’d call it a placebo.

So why bother stressing over the details?
http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQFAGl8MhCnYjTwzJWgJs5O4IcFqlACAZgtOwypDB-T1RDAB9o8DGVYEa/BAM/luOgEUC+i6DCCgcA-w

That is why I think there’s no point in attempting to spend that much in optimizing an area that really isn’t worth optimizing in the first place. (Exotic armor) Back when I had little access to guild commendations, most of my characters would wear rare acessories and skipped straight to ascended because I didn’t think the extra power from exotics was worth the time.

However, I’d also like to point out the fairly generous availability of ascended trinkets that are available in the new living world maps. Those do contain HoT stats and merely cost you your time.

But I agree that there are alternative ways, like the VB’s bladed armor where you can obtain most armor parts, without doing the whole meta (for the chest piece), karma if you have it en masse or find pleasure in farming it, and dungeons if you are into it.

Funny enough, I actually don’t consider these to be particularly fun options, unless people are into that sort of content. Karma armor also has the annoying trait of not being able to be salvaged.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

But first it went from 33s to 24s when MO announced a leather farm, it drifted down to 20s on launch day for the episode.

I guess after that the scuttlebutt laughed off the “so call farm” as too hard or not rewarding enough and since nothing really changed, the price returned to it’s previous range. But it took nearly a month to do so.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

But first it went from 33s to 24s when MO announced a leather farm, it drifted down to 20s on launch day for the episode.

I guess after that the scuttlebutt laughed off the “so call farm” as too hard or not rewarding enough and since nothing really changed, the price returned to it’s previous range. But it took nearly a month to do so.

Or in other words, it used to be 33s with no practical way to farm you own. Now it’s still 33s and there’s a way to farm your own.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I checked my t5-6 leather and I have over 150g worth. That’s from predominately playing wvw, and after I made several armor sets worth of insignia for converting ascended gear, over the past 2 months.

I don’t understand how people are not getting enough leather to do sane amounts of crafting.

That is barely enough for the Dwayna statue I made the other day …

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I checked my t5-6 leather and I have over 150g worth. That’s from predominately playing wvw, and after I made several armor sets worth of insignia for converting ascended gear, over the past 2 months.

I don’t understand how people are not getting enough leather to do sane amounts of crafting.

So don’t make two?

Posted by: Hitman.5829

Hitman.5829

1 gold for 1 Cured hardened leather is way to much. My guess is that one of your developers messes up on the drop rate in one of the previous patches and instead of putting 0.01% drop rate they left their fat finger on the 0 key for way to much time and instead changed the value to 0.0000001%

We need a fix fast.
I am currently waiting for a fix so I can buy 250 for kudzu

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

idk, the leather farm did nothing and isn’t very good. Think I’ll spend today farming and see what can be done about leather.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

They put a leather farm in the new map, which always has a group doing it, you can get the leather from there,

The problem is, people don’t want to do that, they just want everything handed to them on a silver platter.

So yes, go to the new map, open lfg, click on lake doric, pick any group that is leather farming,

It will still take you time to get the T6 leather, but you can get it fairly fast doing it this way,

Else open up the TP and buy it all.

idk, the leather farm did nothing and isn’t very good. Think I’ll spend today farming and see what can be done about leather.

This is not true, the leather farm works great, the problem is ppl still want things handed to them, and don’t want to put any effort into farming themselves, they want Anet to step in and nerf it.

Behellagh.1468

They did fix it by providing a farm. It’s up to players now to use it and sell any excess on the TP to drive down price. But I can see a Mystic Coin situation for a while where players will simply hoard any excess.

RIP City of Heroes

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If you don’t want to pay the TP prices, you have a viable farm to collect what you need.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

They did fix it by providing a farm. It’s up to players now to use it and sell any excess on the TP to drive down price. But I can see a Mystic Coin situation for a while where players will simply hoard any excess.

Can you blame them for hoarding excess leather? You need it in absolutely massive quantities to craft anything, yet can only “farm” it in a single map in the entire game. At least with mithril/elder wood you have nodes in every level 80 map, on top of getting a ton of them from salvaging gear.

But the leather “farm” only exists in LD. So if you want to do anything other than LD, you can’t obtain any meaningful amount of leather, which is due in large part to just how much leather you need to craft anything. So its no wonder people hoard it.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

You need it in absolutely massive quantities to craft anything, yet can only “farm” it in a single map in the entire game.

Lolwat? Long before LD they added leather synthesizers to WvW where you was supposed to farm for it.

To bad they forgot to add it to the loottable. Either that or its a 0.000001% droprate cause I dont think I have ever seen high tier leather drop.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

This is not true, the leather farm works great, the problem is ppl still want things handed to them, and don’t want to put any effort into farming themselves, they want Anet to step in and nerf it.

Price of T6 leather sections since farm released…..

Attachments:

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Ayrilana.1396

They had declined from that level several weeks before when people were speculating on getting large amounts of T6 leather. All that’s really happened is the price going back to normal, which for a lot of people that need it, is unfortunate.

OriOri.8724

You need it in absolutely massive quantities to craft anything, yet can only “farm” it in a single map in the entire game.

Lolwat? Long before LD they added leather synthesizers to WvW where you was supposed to farm for it.

To bad they forgot to add it to the loottable. Either that or its a 0.000001% droprate cause I dont think I have ever seen high tier leather drop.

The synthesizers in WvW are anything but a farm for leather. Anything but.

zealex.9410

~hopes for actual skinning to be introduced in game~ (and other life skills)

Behellagh.1468

Nice cherry picking of the graph. Here’s a better one.

Fear grips casual hoarders who sell to speculators. “Word” spreads that the farm is “too hard” and “isn’t worth it” so prices slowly recover back to where they were after a few weeks. Speculators win!

Attachments:

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Ider.1276

Ider.1276

“Word” spreads that the farm is “too hard” and “isn’t worth it” so prices slowly recover back to where they were after a few weeks. Speculators win!

It is not a “word”, it is a fact. There were numerous threads here and on reddit where people compaired drop rates of hardened leather from bloodstone hides (from centaur farm) and unstable hides (from events in LS3 maps). And – surprise – salvaging bloodstone hides produced mostly trash t5 leather.
Centaur farm is really not worth the time. You can go to bloodstone fen and farm WM clerics there and have more hardened leather (and every other leather tier exapt T5). And even there a player have to grind for several hours to gather leather for a single insignia. That is chinees MMO level of bonkers.

Behellagh.1468

What did players expect? ALL T6 mats are rarer than T5. ANet said they were adding a leather farm … NOT exclusively a T6 one. Doing it once and quitting because RNGesus didn’t give you as much T6 mats as you wanted is sad.

Did you even look for all the strongboxes or did you just grabbed the 3 at the end? There are over a dozen more.

RIP City of Heroes

zealex.9410

Fear grips casual hoarders who sell to speculators. “Word” spreads that the farm is “too hard” and “isn’t worth it” so prices slowly recover back to where they were after a few weeks. Speculators win!

True your post gave us a more detailed picture, but its the same picture nontheless. His question is “why aren’t you making bigger steps to balance out the leather with other mats” which is true they didn’t really do that. While all the rest of the mats are available around the world or very common drops from salvaging items leather remains the single hardest to get but a long way And why make be extra “hard”? If we go wth this aproach souldn’t rare minerals or what ever else on the same tier being as challengingto get??

Illconceived Was Na.9781

“Word” spreads that the farm is “too hard” and “isn’t worth it” so prices slowly recover back to where they were after a few weeks. Speculators win!

It is not a “word”, it is a fact. There were numerous threads here and on reddit where people compaired drop rates of hardened leather from bloodstone hides (from centaur farm) and unstable hides (from events in LS3 maps). And – surprise – salvaging bloodstone hides produced mostly trash t5 leather.
Centaur farm is really not worth the time. You can go to bloodstone fen and farm WM clerics there and have more hardened leather (and every other leather tier exapt T5). And even there a player have to grind for several hours to gather leather for a single insignia. That is chinees MMO level of bonkers.

It isn’t a fact. People are using the leather farms to get their own leather; it’s doing exactly what it was meant to do.

It’s not one of the best gold/hour farms in the game, which is why not that many people are farming just to sell the leather.

And how much leather do you think you need for a single insignia? it certainly doesn’t require ‘hours’.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I do the leather farm most days, but only a single run. I’m not running out of leather any time soon. In fact, I just finished a run 15 minutes ago. I find it enjoyable.

Posted by: Plautze.6290

Plautze.6290

Can’t help but bump this topic again. And again. And again. Until something is done.

Good luck there. When LS3 Ep4 with its glorified leather farm came in there was a 200+ post thread here considering all this situation. And none of the devs commented there, even with a single post. At the same time they made lots of comments in threads about cats.
They just don’t care about h.leather price. Why bother? It is not something really important. Like cats.

I suppose you’re right -.- so I’ll do what I do best: Stick to it. It may take me 20 years, but in the end, I’ll have my <insert item here>. I may be the only person playing GW2 by then, but: Mission Accomplished.

So, where are those cat threads…?

Rohan Blackraven | Allister Mortis | Mindblower Torxx

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

We should be able to kill cats for leather tbh :^)

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Fremtid.3528

So don’t make two?

There’s six god/goddess statues so that’s a bit dismissive.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

So don’t make two?

Some gods claim, you shouldnt have another god besides them.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Fremtid.3528

I have a museum setup in one of my guilds at the top of gilded hallow and besides 3 of goddess statues that literally cost and arm and a leg, we have gold walls that are literally made of my gold, and paintings that cost a small fortune when added up together, caudecus’ statuary which is part fountain, part gold sink, a circle of trees with gold leaves (they’re not so bad individually but who really makes only one tree really?), scribe decors are rough, i don’t think its too much to ask them to lighten up on the leather. And saying don’t make two when there’s six to be made is rude really. So we’re to assume that only big guilds and people with visa or mastercard are to have nice things huh?

Sartharina.3542

The leather farm isn’t much of one. It’s still an excessive timesink for very little payoff.

Fremtid.3528

You literally have to convert tons of stacks of uncured thick leather to get a stack of cured hardened.

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

Hardened leather prices are a bit ridiculous atm. A square costs over a 1 g, whereas you can get an Orichalcum Ingot for a bit under 6 s. So they cost about 20x more. I don’t think they were even this expensive before, so what happened? We got a leather farm and the prices went up?

And what’s with Gossamer Patches requiring 10 Hardened Leather Sections but only 4 Bolts of Gossamer? That should really be the other way around, as they are GOSSAMER Patches. Not Leather Patches.

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

And when you look at the graph, the result is still the same. The price is now higher than before the leather farm came. It’s marginal, but it’s there. What does that tell you?

When comparing Hardened Leather Sections to the other t6 mats, you see that they are a minimum of x5 more expensive than any of the others. The next contender is Ancient Wood Planks which are about 20 s per unit. Orichalcum Ingots are just under 6s, and Bolts of Gossamer aren’t even 2 s. I think the average price for all of them should be around 15 to 20 s, and improvements should be aimed toward that goal.

AND btw, what’s with the new asc weapon recipes for PvP and Fractals? Weaponsmiths and Artificers now need leather to make the weapons! These professions can’t even refine leather! This is an issue that shouldn’t exist, needing stuff from outside your crafting discipline.

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

You likely aren’t going to see any price changes due to this farm.

Because other areas of the game have better gold per hour, the majority of players farming leather will be players who are going to use the leather. If they use it, it won’t be sold and thus won’t affect the TP.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Ayrilana.1396

And when you look at the graph, the result is still the same. The price is now higher than before the leather farm came. It’s marginal, but it’s there. What does that tell you?

Look at the full graph over time and don’t just cherry pick two points in time. Where it sits at now is the normal level when there isn’t as many players playing. Notice how there’s always a sharp decrease in price with each living story episode? There was also the speculation that the leather farm would dramatically increase supply that drove prices down a bit.

Ayrilana.1396

Hardened leather prices are a bit ridiculous atm. A square costs over a 1 g, whereas you can get an Orichalcum Ingot for a bit under 6 s. So they cost about 20x more. I don’t think they were even this expensive before, so what happened? We got a leather farm and the prices went up?

And what’s with Gossamer Patches requiring 10 Hardened Leather Sections but only 4 Bolts of Gossamer? That should really be the other way around, as they are GOSSAMER Patches. Not Leather Patches.

They’ve been like this the last five or so months. The only times the price have dipped down in when a LS episode was released and when the announcement of the leather farm was made that it’d be included in the next update.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Behellagh.1468

Well Tier 1 to Tier 6 patch tiers use the same ratio, 4 cloth bolts + 10 leather squares. Sadly the changes ANet did to help reduce the glut of T5 and T6 leather but that adversely drove T6 leather prices into deep space (200x).

RIP City of Heroes

OriOri.8724

Well Tier 1 to Tier 6 patch tiers use the same ratio, 4 cloth bolts + 10 leather squares. Sadly the changes ANet did to help reduce the glut of T5 and T6 leather but that adversely drove T6 leather prices into deep space (200x).

And that’s the root of the problem. Anet made too many large changes at once that kittened leather up, but not they seem content to make incremental changes that will take at least a year to take full effect in order to bring leather in line with other mats. That’s just such a long timeline to just see if it works or not. They should’ve just left the farm out and reduced the amount of leather needed for crafting honestly.

Sartharina.3542

They really should just normalize the primary refinement mechanics of crafting (3 to refine all T5/6 materials, 50+Ecto for the Ascended thingy. Metal and Wood for Inscriptions, Cloth+Leather for Insignias), let the market recover from the shock, then tweak sinks and faucets for the materials from there.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

So don’t make two?

Guild decorations are permanent and anyone in the guild can contribute. So while I’m sympathetic to the total cost, it still seems like an overall bargain to me for a one-time cost to a long-lasting addition.

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

[Leather price] When are you fixing…

John Smith does nothing at work:

To address this, we’re taking a step back from the standard amount of economy balancing we’re doing; in fact, we’ve actually already started doing that.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.