What Happened to Hardened Leather?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

[Leather price] When are you fixing…

John Smith does nothing at work:

To address this, we’re taking a step back from the standard amount of economy balancing we’re doing; in fact, we’ve actually already started doing that.

He does more than babysit the economy

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

[Leather price] When are you fixing…

John Smith does nothing at work:

To address this, we’re taking a step back from the standard amount of economy balancing we’re doing; in fact, we’ve actually already started doing that.

He does more than babysit the economy

jk… jeebus ><

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

The prices went from 20s to 35s a section its insane literally insane.

But first it went from 33s to 24s when MO announced a leather farm, it drifted down to 20s on launch day for the episode.

I guess after that the scuttlebutt laughed off the “so call farm” as too hard or not rewarding enough and since nothing really changed, the price returned to it’s previous range. But it took nearly a month to do so.

Or in other words, it used to be 33s with no practical way to farm you own. Now it’s still 33s and there’s a way to farm your own.

If that way was practical, there would have been an impact on TP price.

You likely aren’t going to see any price changes due to this farm.

Because other areas of the game have better gold per hour, the majority of players farming leather will be players who are going to use the leather. If they use it, it won’t be sold and thus won’t affect the TP.

But it also won’t be bought, which should have impact. Unless the amounts farmed are not meaningful of course.

Some gods claim, you shouldnt have another god besides them.

Unfortunately, we can’t craft the Statue of Abaddon.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

But it also won’t be bought, which should have impact. Unless the amounts farmed are not meaningful of course.

Due to the nature of leather production and consumption, any impact will be very slow to develop given what we now know about the number of players who need leather and are willing to farm for it. The price trend line suggests that these players are a very small minority.

The existence of farms permits demand to be self-satisfied. Given enough time, this can ultimately result in a glut of supply that drives down prices. Based on what I see in the data so far, “enough time” is going to be a long while (1+ year, if ever) due to a low farm participation rate. Players still perceive it to be easier to farm gold and buy the leather, which will only get worse as leather prices fall over time.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

idk, the leather farm did nothing and isn’t very good. Think I’ll spend today farming and see what can be done about leather.

This is not true, the leather farm works great, the problem is ppl still want things handed to them, and don’t want to put any effort into farming themselves, they want Anet to step in and nerf it.

Price of T6 leather sections since farm released…..

Nice cherry picking of the graph. Here’s a better one.

Fear grips casual hoarders who sell to speculators. “Word” spreads that the farm is “too hard” and “isn’t worth it” so prices slowly recover back to where they were after a few weeks. Speculators win!

And when you look at the graph, the result is still the same. The price is now higher than before the leather farm came. It’s marginal, but it’s there. What does that tell you?

Look at the full graph over time and don’t just cherry pick two points in time. Where it sits at now is the normal level when there isn’t as many players playing. Notice how there’s always a sharp decrease in price with each living story episode? There was also the speculation that the leather farm would dramatically increase supply that drove prices down a bit.

There are 2 spikes in January that rise over 34 s, and the Leather Farm hadn’t been announced yet. Now, in March there are 4 spikes over 34 s, now that most people know it’s there and we’re barely 3 weeks into the month. Statistically we can predict an additional spike towards the midway of the week. That’s more than double the amount of price spikes. I’m not cherrypicking certain moments, I’m looking at the monthly average.

The prices dropping in February can be accounted for by the announcement/release of LWS3E4. It’s a statistical anomaly created by marketing, basically.

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.

Ayrilana.1396

idk, the leather farm did nothing and isn’t very good. Think I’ll spend today farming and see what can be done about leather.

This is not true, the leather farm works great, the problem is ppl still want things handed to them, and don’t want to put any effort into farming themselves, they want Anet to step in and nerf it.

Fear grips casual hoarders who sell to speculators. “Word” spreads that the farm is “too hard” and “isn’t worth it” so prices slowly recover back to where they were after a few weeks. Speculators win!

And when you look at the graph, the result is still the same. The price is now higher than before the leather farm came. It’s marginal, but it’s there. What does that tell you?

Look at the full graph over time and don’t just cherry pick two points in time. Where it sits at now is the normal level when there isn’t as many players playing. Notice how there’s always a sharp decrease in price with each living story episode? There was also the speculation that the leather farm would dramatically increase supply that drove prices down a bit.

There are 2 spikes in January that rise over 34 s, and the Leather Farm hadn’t been announced yet. Now, in March there are 4 spikes over 34 s, now that most people know it’s there and we’re barely 3 weeks into the month. Statistically we can predict an additional spike towards the midway of the week. That’s more than double the amount of price spikes. I’m not cherrypicking certain moments, I’m looking at the monthly average.

The prices dropping in February can be accounted for by the announcement/release of LWS3E4. It’s a statistical anomaly created by marketing, basically.

That’s cherry picking again. Comparing spikes is not the best way. Prices fluctuate but the price level has remained relatively flat outside of the impacts of the LS and leather farm announcement.

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

That’s cherry picking again. Prices fluctuate but the price level as remained relatively flat outside of the impacts of the LS and leather farm announcement.

You have a really weird idea of what cherrypicking is.

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.

Posted by: felincyriac.5981

felincyriac.5981

if people weren’t selling their leather from the leather farm the prices should still be going down as those who were going off to farm would no longer be needing to buy their leather from the TP, hence a drop in demand and lower prices, clearly that is not the case (for now anyway).

(edited by felincyriac.5981)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The prices went from 20s to 35s a section its insane literally insane.

But first it went from 33s to 24s when MO announced a leather farm, it drifted down to 20s on launch day for the episode.

I guess after that the scuttlebutt laughed off the “so call farm” as too hard or not rewarding enough and since nothing really changed, the price returned to it’s previous range. But it took nearly a month to do so.

Or in other words, it used to be 33s with no practical way to farm you own. Now it’s still 33s and there’s a way to farm your own.

If that way was practical, there would have been an impact on TP price.

Not necessarily, and especially not based on how the farm was designed. There’s still a pent-up demand for leather & it’s going to take months to fulfill. In the meantime, anyone who wants leather immediately can do the farm.

So yes, it is a practical method for those who care about acquiring their own mats.

Plus, I don’t think you can say it didn’t have an impact: before the farm was announced, prices were rising more quickly; currently, the price seems to have stabilized. Again, it’s going to take a while to see the new equilibrium because the farm wasn’t designed to affect the market; it was designed to give people the opportunity to gather their own.

You likely aren’t going to see any price changes due to this farm.

Because other areas of the game have better gold per hour, the majority of players farming leather will be players who are going to use the leather. If they use it, it won’t be sold and thus won’t affect the TP.

If leather wasn’t getting bought, the price would have dropped. The demand is still big enough that a minor farm isn’t going to affect prices…yet.

The amounts farmed are meaningful to those interesting in collecting their own mats. If there’s an impact on the overall price of leather, it’s going to take a lot longer for us to see it in the TP, because this farm wasn’t designed to do something about prices.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

While participating in the leather farm over the weekend (maybe about 4-5 hours in total?) I spoke with other leather farmers, and the majority of them that responded stated that they were there for their own crafting needs, just like me.

Only a handful of the ones that responded said that they were selling the Bloodstone Warped Hides without even salvaging them.

Additionally, the farming squads I were in were either mostly full, or completely full, each with many non-squadded players following along.

EDIT: I know this is anecdotal, but I thought it would be interesting to share anyways.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

(edited by Endless Soul.5178)

Ayrilana.1396

That’s cherry picking again. Prices fluctuate but the price level as remained relatively flat outside of the impacts of the LS and leather farm announcement.

It’s cherry picking because you’re picking specific spikes that crossed a price point that you picked and are using them to predict a trend.

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

It’s cherry picking because you’re picking specific spikes that crossed a price point that you picked and are using them to predict a trend.

Yeah… eh.. That’s how the pros do it.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

They really should just normalize the primary refinement mechanics of crafting (3 to refine all T5/6 materials, 50+Ecto for the Ascended thingy. Metal and Wood for Inscriptions, Cloth+Leather for Insignias), let the market recover from the shock, then tweak sinks and faucets for the materials from there.

I agree. For the long term health of the crafting system in GW2, base refinement costs need to be standardized. However at this point I am almost 100% convinced this won’t happen, as standardizing teh refinement costs for leather would mean an immediate 25% decrease in the amount of T5 leather needed, and a 33% decrease in the amount of T6 leather needed. Those are huge changes.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Except you tag short term peaks and troughs to determine the general trendline. Not just the peaks.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Ayrilana.1396

Yeah… eh.. That’s how the pros do it.

Except the poster isn’t doing it correctly and the way they’re doing it is essentially cherry picking.

Behellagh.1468

And it’s been my opinion that base refinement costs should be the only place it’s tweaked. But providing finer grain ratios such kitten into 2 or 7 into 3 instead of just X into 1. Hardened squares had the number of sections required increase by 50%; thick by 33%.

I am totally for identically ratio recipes for the same item regardless of tier, other than ascended, or with armor by weight. We shouldn’t be micromanaging recipes at the high level. The doubling of the basic mat requirements for Damask over Elonian for example shouldn’t exist.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

You are fake news

That’s usually what’s screamed when faced with facts today. The graph is exactly from the day the “farm” was released til to time I posted it. Prices went up! Which shows the “farm” is ineffectual at driving down prices.

Here’s another fact, T5 leather increased over 60% prior to the farm til now!

Attachments:

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

You are fake news

That’s usually what’s screamed when faced with facts today. The graph is exactly from the day the “farm” was released til to time I posted it. Prices went up! Which shows the “farm” is ineffectual at driving down prices.

You keep ignoring that prices dropped drastically when the farm was announced. That’s just as relevant.

The price going up is people reacting to the farm not being the top gold maker (which some people unreasonably expected).

Posted by: Ider.1276

Ider.1276

The price going up is people reacting to the farm not being the top gold maker (which some people unreasonably expected).

You should start watching the situation from global perspective. T5 leather price went up when fractal/pvp/raid vendors were reworked, not because players are not farming hard enough (lol). Leathercrafting tokens for these vendors require more T5 leather than normal acsended crafting method in exchange of less T2-T4 leather. With another T5 sink demand went up and so the price.
Before that vendor patch T5 leather price already stabilised after centaur farm implementation, and it was, indeed, lower than before LS3 Ep4 (because all you got from that farm was T5 leather, ha). The thing is, noone ever complained about T5 price. The problem since HoT release was obnoxious T6 price.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

You should start watching the situation from global perspective. T5 leather price went up when fractal/pvp/raid vendors were reworked, not because players are not farming hard enough (lol). Leathercrafting tokens for these vendors require more T5 leather than normal acsended crafting method in exchange of less T2-T4 leather. With another T5 sink demand went up and so the price.
Before that vendor patch T5 leather price already stabilised after centaur farm implementation, and it was, indeed, lower than before LS3 Ep4 (because all you got from that farm was T5 leather, ha). The thing is, noone ever complained about T5 price. The problem since HoT release was obnoxious T6 price.

You’re correct that the release of the Marks affected prices, as happens any time there are new recipes. I can’t agree that no one complained about T5 prices; that started shortly after ANet changed the formula to require four sections to make a square, when the supply at vendor +18% finally evaporated.

Leather Marks require 28% more T5 leather, but no T6 (a reduction of 180 sections) and 1/3 the amount of T2-T5; overall, that will probably lead to a cost decrease, since most people can acquire that more quickly from their own travels.

Regardless, my point stands: the current price of leather isn’t drastically different from what it was before we heard about the leather farm. Prices haven’t increased, they just haven’t decreased the way some people expected.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Your graph looks like
1. Fear: the farm is announced, marketeers think the price is gonna plummet
2. Actualization: doom is upon us all
3. Wait.. did they do anything? didn’t they say they were gonna fix leather.. why is everything still the same. Back to expensive leather, people!

Behellagh.1468

You are fake news

You keep ignoring that prices dropped drastically when the farm was announced. That’s just as relevant.

DeWolfe does have a bit of a point here. Before the farm announcement T5 sections were in the 1s70c to 2s00c range. Before the APIs went down the price was in the 2s20c to 2s40c range. That’s a 25% increase over the previous steady range.

And again, unless those running the farm choose to sell the sections they get (rather than the hides) on the TP, the price won’t be going down anywhere soon.

Attachments:

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Solstace.2514

Solstace.2514

I have no problem farming for materials, but I’d rather not spend 90% if my game time doing boring and brainless farming runs. Leather farm, silver wastes, etc. it’s just not fun or the least bit enjoyable.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I have no problem farming for materials, but I’d rather not spend 90% if my game time doing boring and brainless farming runs. Leather farm, silver wastes, etc. it’s just not fun or the least bit enjoyable.

This is entirely subjective. Boring to you is fun to others. I’ve been to both of these locations and there are always a lot of people having a good time of it.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Aury.1367

Aury.1367

Big problem are the changed prices for inscriptions using the new cloth patches. Changing ascended armor was once pretty annoying due to the loss of runes. Now you loose your runes AND its like 10-15g per piece depending on the wanted stat. Thats 60-90g per ascended set. just changing it. With that price you could craft one part, so after changing stats 6 times you would have a full set instead.

Posted by: Solstace.2514

Solstace.2514

This is entirely subjective. Boring to you is fun to others. I’ve been to both of these locations and there are always a lot of people having a good time of it.

That’s great. Some people get incredible joy out of bouncing a red ball in a corner 300000 times. But it’s not fun for a lot of people yet you are forced to do it if you want the gear to do other end game content. I’d be fine if it was just to unlock nice shiny skins,etc. but if you want to raid in this game you have to have ascended gear. Especially on multiple characters and with different stats cause many groups want you to perform multiple roles.
I’d rather spend 90 percent of my time raiding NOT farming for gear so I can raid.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’d rather spend 90 percent of my time raiding NOT farming for gear so I can raid.

Absolutely. And yet, that’s how it already is. There’s no question that leather is a lot more expensive these days, but it isn’t hours and hours more work to afford the current market prices; it’s just more work.

There was a time when the issue of the day was cloth, rather than leather. And people railed against ANet’s heavy-handed approach of changing recipes for silk bolts to require 3 scraps. And yet now, the price of silk is cheap (it was well below 40 copper for a few months recently).

It’s a tricky business altering faucets and sinks and there’s no tool that allows anyone to predict exactly how humans will react. Centralized economies almost always fail to get the balance right, leading to supply shortages. In this case, there’s no shortage at all in supply; the only issue is that we don’t like paying the higher costs for the existing supply.

I don’t mean to suggest that there’s no issue at all. Only that it’s not as critical as some would make it out to be, since we can buy all the leather we need. And, with the new farm, we can farm all the leather we need, too (if we want; me, I prefer to do anything else and buy it).

OriOri.8724

You can’t just say that now silk is cheap without also talking about why. And the high price of leather is a decent sized part of why silk is so cheap.

As long as leather remains at such a ridiculous price, the demand for silk will be lower, because people in general will be crafting less components that require leather than they would if the price of leather was cheaper. If the price of leather goes down, the price of silk will eventually go up as well.

Posted by: Eudoxus.5302

Eudoxus.5302

In this case, there’s no shortage at all in supply; the only issue is that we don’t like paying the higher costs for the existing supply.

Hmm, when the API was working for last time (19.3) the situation on the TP for Cured Hardened Leather Square was as follows:

Sell price: 99.95s
Buy price: 93.03s
Demand: 88015
Supply: 4290

This is a SERIOUS supply shortage, because sell/buy prices are almost the same and demand is 20x supply.

Posted by: Ider.1276

Ider.1276

And, with the new farm, we can farm all the leather we need, too (if we want; me, I prefer to do anything else and buy it).

Good luck farming hardened leather there. That farm did nothing, players still have no fair sorce of T6 leather. Its salvage rates from centaur bloodstone hides are obnosiousely low. Thats the main reason why the price is up to pre-farm state: bad salvage rates (worse than from 80 lvl leather armor and unstable hides).
Players can farm as long as they want, and overall supply will not increase, because the same supply of h.leather can be achieved by spending same amount of time on meta in Silverwastes or running through frozen chests in bitterfrost. And you also gain other valuable stuff there like ecto.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I still think that the proper course of action would have been to make all insignias craftable with either cloth OR leather (the AND route was the wrong way to go).

This would allow the prices of these two materials to normalize without needing to alter drop/salvage rates on leather.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Illconceived Was Na.9781

In this case, there’s no shortage at all in supply; the only issue is that we don’t like paying the higher costs for the existing supply.

Hmm, when the API was working for last time (19.3) the situation on the TP for Cured Hardened Leather Square was as follows:

Sell price: 99.95s
Buy price: 93.03s
Demand: 88015
Supply: 4290

This is a SERIOUS supply shortage, because sell/buy prices are almost the same and demand is 20x supply.

It’s a major differential; that’s not the same as a shortage.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

You can’t just say that now silk is cheap without also talking about why. And the high price of leather is a decent sized part of why silk is so cheap.

As long as leather remains at such a ridiculous price, the demand for silk will be lower, because people in general will be crafting less components that require leather than they would if the price of leather was cheaper. If the price of leather goes down, the price of silk will eventually go up as well.

Prices of silk and hard leather arent dependant on each other at all because you dont need both to craft equipment. YOu need t6 leather for exotic crafting and silk for ascended crafting.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Prices of silk and hard leather arent dependant on each other at all because you dont need both to craft equipment. YOu need t6 leather for exotic crafting and silk for ascended crafting.

Patches. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gossamer_Patch
8 cloth to 30 leather at T6.
Necessary for all exotics and crafting Ascended patches the regular way.
So yes, they’re linked.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Wanze.8410

So yes, they’re linked.

No Silk Scraps are harmed during the crafting process of gossamer patches.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

So yes, they’re linked.

Which isn’t terribly relevant commentary when the item in question is T6 leather.
The disparity of usage, partially because of those patches, is the reason why it exploded in price.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Wanze.8410

So yes, they’re linked.

Which isn’t terribly relevant commentary when the item in question is T6 leather.
The disparity of usage, partially because of those patches, is the reason why it exploded in price.

That exactly was my point, as someone pointed out that silk is so cheap because of the high price of hard leather, even though the consumption of silk is more related to thick leather.

OriOri.8724

@Wanze – I linked silk to the high price of leather, not just T6 leather. T5 leather is still expensive for a T5 mat, and its a ridiculously high % of the cost of crafting anything, which drives people away from crafting, which lowers the demand for silk, which lowers the price of silk.

You are the one who made it only about T6, not me.

Wanze.8410

@Wanze – I linked silk to the high price of leather, not just T6 leather. T5 leather is still expensive for a T5 mat, and its a ridiculously high % of the cost of crafting anything, which drives people away from crafting, which lowers the demand for silk, which lowers the price of silk.

The topic title made it about t6, not me.

And even for t5, your theory isnt true because silk rose in value simultaneously to t5 leather since mid february, so the high price of t5 doesnt really stop players consuming silk.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

And even for t5, your theory isnt true because silk rose in value simultaneously to t5 leather since mid february, so the high price of t5 doesnt really stop players consuming silk.

This is a merged thread about leather prices in general.

Frankly, I think the imbalance in crafting is a blight on the game, and it’s having a strongly adverse effect on the economy. Sure, it’s ‘stable’ – but so is the guy on life support in the ICU.

Wanze.8410

Frankly, I think the imbalance in crafting is a blight on the game, and it’s having a strongly adverse effect on the economy. Sure, it’s ‘stable’ – but so is the guy on life support in the ICU.

What imbalance in crafting?

Behellagh.1468

I believe he’s referencing differences in refinement ratios between different types of materials.

RIP City of Heroes

Wanze.8410

I believe he’s referencing differences in refinement ratios between different types of materials.

Thats what I thought, so thanks for already providing my answer. Different materials are, by definition, well….different to each other. So I dont see a valid claim to be made that their prices, refinement procedures, acquisition or requirement in recipes should be the same.

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

I get a fair bit of hardened leather from salvaging all the greens and blues you get from the chests in the AB Meta event, usually 5 -6 pieces per event.
Using a silver fed salvager, so dont know if that affects the outcome and have 170% magic find.