What Happened to New Skills and Traits?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

You guys do realize that there is 4-5 more updates before 2014. So there is still a pretty large chance that the skills will appear

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Posted by: An Oak Knob.1275

An Oak Knob.1275

It will never happen. Because we don’t get exspantions, we get “living story”.

Posted by: playandchill.3908

playandchill.3908

Lol manifesto guys srsly guyz

[LANI] Multi glad pewpew

QUIT- RETIRED

Posted by: Yenn.9185

Yenn.9185

It’s safe to assume we’d never get a new class or race which you’d normally find on an expansion.

An Oak Knob.1275

It’s safe to assume we’d never get a new class or race which you’d normally find on an expansion.

Yes indeedy.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

RuneScape has beening effectively doing this LS thing for 12 years, they’ve pumped out expansion-worthy content faster than most games.

And I don’t think we need more classes. In every game i’ve played, adding more professions just means more balancing problems are less focus on each class. I’d rather have classes which are unique, balanced, with constant updates added to them rather than a whole bunch if classes which are broken, bland and forgotten.

(edited by Xae Isareth.1364)

An Oak Knob.1275

RuneScape has beening effectively doing this LS thing for 12 years, they’ve pumped out expansion-worthy content faster than most games.

Yeah but runescape is runescape. aint hard to add content to an easy engine.

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

Yes indeedy.

New race is on its way. Anet during an interview was asked about a new race, and they said they couldn’t comment on that (which means they are either thinking about it or working on it). Profession they said no for right now because the next class will have to be a heavy and have unique class mechanics which is not covered by the other classes. So basically if you can figure out a heavy class that doesn’t copy the others they will probably make it happen.

As I said before there is 4-5 LS updates before 2014 so there is still a chance that they will appear (not counting the already announced one since that has 1 universal skill). So including the LS coming up there is 5-6 LS updates still.

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Posted by: Yenn.9185

Yenn.9185

I’m honestly not very thrilled in getting a new race. It doesn’t add much to the gameplay and it’s mostly a lore and aesthetics upgrade.

We’re gonna need either a new class, new traits, or new skills very soon. The gameplay is getting stale after 1 year.

Xae Isareth.1364

I’m not quite sure about that. Java is a simple engine but it’s also very outdated, which could potentially mean it’s even harder to update to an acceptable standard.

Also, I’m quite sure Anet’s team is far larger than Jagex’s.

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

I’m honestly not very thrilled in getting a new race. It doesn’t add much to the gameplay and it’s mostly a lore and aesthetics upgrade.

A new race involves new story missions (which means new voice actors), a new city, new racial skills, new cultural armor/weapons, and most likely at least another starter zone (and maybe another 15-25 lvl area too). So that is quite a lot of work (and voice actors are expensive). Also to quote Colin from July,

http://dulfy.net/2013/07/16/gw2-colin-johanson-livestream-transcript/

Q: We are approaching the first year, when will you bring dragons back into the world?
A: It is part of a big question. People ask what is going on with expansions. Storyline and dragon would be part of an expansion in the traditional model. We havn’t decided if we are going with a tradition expansion or we will do something unique to Guild Wars. New areas, races, dragons, are not off the table. We need to figure out if we want to do it with Living World or traditional boxed expansion. You won’t see a new giant dragon this year but we will add it in the future.
——————-

Q: What are your plans for future professions/races.
A: Races, no promises of which race to do first. New profession is a lot harder, a lot of the core archtype is covered. We might do additional weapons/skills for current professions before putting in new professions. We have 8 now so if we want to do a new profession is it is probably a 3rd heavy armor to balance it out. New profession is probably the furthest thing out.

So it’s still on the table, but I don’t think we’ll see any new race/class for at least 6 months.

We’re gonna need either a new class, new traits, or new skills very soon. The gameplay is getting stale after 1 year.

To be fair, I am looking forward to new skills/traits; that was the most exciting thing for me from the June blog post, but I don’t think the game is getting stale. How is a new class going to make the other 8 more “fresh” for you? If anything at least the 2 week LS updates can potentially give you something that you like, compared to having to wait 1-2 years for a new class/race (which you may have no interest in at all).

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Oh cmon, don’t pretend it’s hard to add a chore list such as “kill 10 rabbits”, which is funny since people always mocked other MMO’s for that.

Xae Isareth.1364

Oh cmon, don’t pretend it’s hard to add a chore list such as “kill 10 rabbits”, which is funny since people always mocked other MMO’s for that.

There’s none of those quests in RuneScape. The quests in that game are some of the best I’ve seen in all games, let alone MMOs. The kill 10 rabbits part is grinding for skills, which we’ve replaced with get 10k Chattering Skulls for the recipe of a skin.

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

There’s none of those quests in RuneScape. The quests in that game are some of the best I’ve seen in all games, let alone MMOs. The kill 10 rabbits part is grinding for skills, which we’ve replaced with get 10k Chattering Skulls for the recipe of a skin.

I was talking about GW2’s “Living Story” lol.

Xae Isareth.1364

I was talking about GW2’s “Living Story” lol.

Oh, my bad.

Let’s hope that they learned from this Halloween that making the entire event based on killing 10 rabbits is a bad idea.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

You guys do realize that there is 4-5 more updates before 2014. So there is still a pretty large chance that the skills will appear

You guys do realize they said they would be avoiding major class-altering changes entirely while the first Season of WvW was running to not disrupt the play environment. So there is a pretty large chance any new skills can only appear during the mid-December or late-December patch.

Frankly I think it says a lot about the new Anti-toxin Spray skill that its going to be so sub-par in general play that it’s not expected to disturb the WvW meta.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: kineticdamage.6279

kineticdamage.6279

After 2 monthes, personally. Btw I’m glad there’s a general agreement on this, but I wonder why it took so long for most players to realize.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

inb4

New “skill packages” on the gemstore at high gem prices.

(btw, forget about new class; don’t have the link but it was said that it is the last thing they have in mind)

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Unfortunately Arena.net’s priority =/= the player’s priority. Instead of new skills and traits, new armor sets, craftable precursors, new legendaries they are busy with the Living Story which 80% of the commnity is sick and tired of.

I love how people pull numbers out of their….imagination to try to make a point. You have no clue how many people by percentage are sick of the Living World stuff. It’s probably less than you think is my guess.

By the same token, not everyone is barracking for more skills. Some people certainly are, but many people are not build-a-holics and are happy just to throw stuff together that works Those people aren’t hurting for build options, because they don’t follow any sort of meta.

I’d wager there are far more people who don’t even know a meta exists than there are those who pay attention to it.

Almost my entire guild is tired of it and we are an active PvX guild. All my friends are tired of it. A gazillion people here on the forums are tired of it. All those people who left because of the living story are tired of it. I’ll correct my statement then: make it ~90%! The living story is just a cheap way to satisfy achievement hunters.

Yep 92.4% of all statistics are made up on the spot. You’re statement is no more credible now than when you first made it.