What Happened to the game?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I’m curious about what has happened at Anet? Has the funding been cut off? Is the money being diverted? was most of the staff laid off?

I just can’t understand the current direction of the game. In the first year we saw a new map, a half dozen PvP maps, big WvW changes, introduction of fractals, a new gear tier, guild missions, dungeon revamps, a new dungeon,updates to 6 of the 8 crafting profession, multiple festivals, and a LS.

However since the start of 2014 it seems like nothing is being developed anymore and things are being removed instead.

In 2014 we have removed PvP rewards, removed servers, removed traits, told that most festivals aren’t coming back (SAB, Dragon Bash), told that dungeons are too hard to make and are being abandoned, no new systems, no new PvP maps, 6 months to add a single WvW trait line, no new armor, abandoning the last 2 crafting professions, no new legendary weapons, no expansion announcement.

What’s up? Has the game been officially abandoned by NCSoft?

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I don’t know man only time will tell. Hopefully they are working on something larger.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I don’t know about the company but posts like this have been floating up every week for the last 2 years in this game and for years in every other game I have played. So pretty much business as usual.

Posted by: One Note Chord.5031

One Note Chord.5031

It feels like they have very limited resources, and for better or for worse have decided that living world updates are the place to put them all. All these comments they keep making amount to “no new content outside the living world.”

Colin Johanson: "Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”
Pre-launch, Colin listed things that make MMOs bad. They are all now in GW2.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Who knows, they’ve been demonstrating the new PvP arena again, 6 months after it not being released. WvW is stalled into the same boring matchups for months, EOTM doesn’t help either being out of the rotation. The best guilds are leaving the game. This game needs a serious injection of content, not a new trick or Golem mastery (when people already have all the points to fill it up to max and then more)

The last thing it needs is more broken class balancing, like making Tornado useless again and pretending it’s a good thing.

Basically it looks like 80% of their effort goes toward the design of Gem store skins, the remaining 19% into the living story dialogues and 1% into WvW.

ZudetGambeous.9573

It feels like they have very limited resources, and for better or for worse have decided that living world updates are the place to put them all. All these comments they keep making amount to “no new content outside the living world.”

I just don’t understand it. I mean they supposedly had over 300 staff. The LS has been nice this season, but no where near what I would expect from 300 employees. Maybe 50…

What are the other 250 people doing?

Posted by: pigdog.9215

pigdog.9215

I don’t know about the company but posts like this have been floating up every week for the last 2 years in this game and for years in every other game I have played. So pretty much business as usual.

What an ignorant comment, and it’s false for one. In guild wars 2 it’s happening more frequently, compared to games i’ve played in the past. The reason is because other game release expansions/new content that majority wants ( big new dungeons ). These “wow factors” draw attention away from the, “i’ve been staring at the same thing over and over.. Boring.” mentality and into the, “Cool stuff that is new to me, exciting to explore”.

Don’t believe me? Look at the mmorpg gaming industry. Guild wars 2 has trouble because there aren’t enough distractions.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

How many developer hours were used to revise the game for the China release? I have no idea, really, but suspect the number was significant.

Posted by: Novalitus.7382

Novalitus.7382

Does Anet have any other big games they’re doing?

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I’m curious about what has happened at Anet? Has the funding been cut off? Is the money being diverted? was most of the staff laid off?

No, they just listen to complaints.

a new map,

Which people speak of derisively and now is only used for a stop in the World Boss World Tour.

a half dozen PvP maps,

Which nobody seems to care about.

big WvW changes,

Which I keep reading about how these were either pointless or made the game worse.

introduction of fractals,

Which is often held up as the epitome of “grindy farmy” content for less reward in comparison to other things.

a new gear tier,

. . . heh . . .

guild missions,

Which were reviled when released, and currently aren’t held in high esteem.

dungeon revamps,

Which apparently aren’t good.

a new dungeon,

Which is also, apparently, not good but because “the loot is bad”.

updates to 6 of the 8 crafting profession,

Which is touted as being only achievable by the rich, by farming incessantly, or by Gem-to-Gold.

multiple festivals,

Which most people were screaming bloody murder over by the time Halloween came around again.

and a LS.

Which is so very beloved. (/sarcasm)

However since the start of 2014 it seems like nothing is being developed anymore and things are being removed instead.

If you wonder why, start rereading.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Kyrel.8942

Kyrel.8942

About 20+ employees split into their teams are doing the LS according to Angel. What the rest of Anet is doing is beyond me besides the feature patches.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I just don’t understand it. I mean they supposedly had over 300 staff. The LS has been nice this season, but no where near what I would expect from 300 employees. Maybe 50…

It’s not 300 developers however.

Posted by: ipan.4356

ipan.4356

It’s like 5 guys sitting around in their living room.

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

What an ignorant comment, and it’s false for one. In guild wars 2 it’s happening more frequently, compared to games i’ve played in the past. The reason is because other game release expansions/new content that majority wants ( big new dungeons ). These “wow factors” draw attention away from the, “i’ve been staring at the same thing over and over.. Boring.” mentality and into the, “Cool stuff that is new to me, exciting to explore”.

Don’t believe me? Look at the mmorpg gaming industry. Guild wars 2 has trouble because there aren’t enough distractions.

Another game I am in Beta for has Forums that already say the game is dead and is NOTHING but complaints… the game isn’t even outta Beta yet… so yeah no, This is Business as usual for forums.

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

Posted by: Kurrilino.2706

Kurrilino.2706

No, they just listen to complaints.

a new map,

Which people speak of derisively and now is only used for a stop in the World Boss World Tour.

a half dozen PvP maps,

Which nobody seems to care about.

big WvW changes,

Which I keep reading about how these were either pointless or made the game worse.

introduction of fractals,

Which is often held up as the epitome of “grindy farmy” content for less reward in comparison to other things.

a new gear tier,

. . . heh . . .

guild missions,

Which were reviled when released, and currently aren’t held in high esteem.

dungeon revamps,

Which apparently aren’t good.

a new dungeon,

Which is also, apparently, not good but because “the loot is bad”.

updates to 6 of the 8 crafting profession,

Which is touted as being only achievable by the rich, by farming incessantly, or by Gem-to-Gold.

multiple festivals,

Which most people were screaming bloody murder over by the time Halloween came around again.

and a LS.

Which is so very beloved. (/sarcasm)

If you wonder why, start rereading.

So your solution to all this complaining is stopping complaining ??

Awesome

So far A-Net isn’t fulfilling anything,
-If players want huge game changes they give you a wardrobe
-If players complain about the LS they replace zerking with text box clicking
-If players want new skills they rework existing skills
-If player wants new maps, they create one so simple and so plain that you have no toher chance than asking…. is that it ??? Just delivering a map, to say we did is not the right way…..

And exactly this is the problem. If there is an issue A-Net delivered the least possible amount of everything they could, just to say WE DID IT, we are listening.

The only real chance to make this happen is an expansion. But for any reason
A-Net is going into total defense mode when this topic comes up.

That means everything will still be the same. Players complaining and leaving
and A-Net answering we have no idea why that happens we gave them everything they wanted.

I am happy that this is something you can live with but i am GW veteran and i don’t want this thing going down

ipan.4356

That’s just because the MMO industry as a whole has been stale for a very long time.

This was true before GW2 – our big hope was that GW2 was really going to shake up the industry.

They promised much more than they delivered, but even with the game falling short of the Manifesto, they’ve still had 2 years to liven it up.

So what’s going on?

Nothing more than the typical modern MMO death spiral.

Will GW2 go away completely? I seriously doubt it. But I don’t see any growth either. It will scratch on for a few more years, just like every other MMO does – hey, Rift is still around, and I remember during the Beta for that game telling people how dumb it was because it clung to so much convention – it was just another WoW clone. I even touted GW2 HEAVILY during that period from all the Rift fans.

And you know what? They sounded exactly like the hard core GW2 fans here sound.

And Rift went F2P after awhile, just as I predicted it would, and all the fans said it would never………

So what’s my point?

My point is how is GW2 any different? MMO’s have problems – serious development drop offs after release, more hype than substance, etc.

GW2 isn’t unique in this – almost every MMO has exactly the same problems, and most MMO’s are even worse.

But here we are.

On the GW2 forums – not those other games.

So we talk about the shortcomings of GW2 – and whether or not Anet can really pick up the pieces.

I know what (most) players want – more content.

They don’t always agree on precisely where they want it (dungeons, open world, pvp, etc.) but the one thing they ALL agree on is that they want more content.

What Anet has given us so far is very little. Feels more like placations.

I think they could do better.

If I’m not wrong, the game will probably fade to a small, dedicated base that might be just enough to keep the game limping along just like so many other MMO’s.

Or maybe Anet’s developers will rally the game from it’s downed state – and get a second wind.

It’s possible.

It’s obvious what they need to do.

Release more content.

More dungeons.
More open world zones (an entire region would be nice).
Another class.
More weapons.
More skills.
More PvP (maps and modes).
Another race (Koda/Tengu).
More DE’s (rotate schedule).
More costumes.
Mounts/Vehicles.
Dueling.

I’m just saying that Anet has given no indication they are going to do any of this.

Instead, it’s MOAR LIVING STORY, OKAY GAIS!?!?!?

(edited by ipan.4356)

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

All those Gem Store sales funded Wildstar, which is already failing in it’s 1st month. lol.

ZudetGambeous.9573

All those Gem Store sales funded Wildstar, which is already failing in it’s 1st month. lol.

That game had some great ideas, they just made the mistake of bringing along the bad along with the good.

I fear you are right that they took either all the devs or all the money to fund that game.

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

Two different games run by two different companies… they are not sharing any kinda profits. the connection to NCSoft doesn’t mean anything except that BOTH games generate revenue to NCSoft. You should read up on how Publishing Companies work.

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

ZudetGambeous.9573

Two different games run by two different companies… they are not sharing any kinda profits. the connection to NCSoft doesn’t mean anything except that BOTH games generate revenue to NCSoft. You should read up on how Publishing Companies work.

All I know is that we went from Anet being open about their future plans with big plans and lots of new features to…

Morning All,

You asked me to be honest so I am going to be. I am starting to feel like doing another CDI just isn’t worth the frustration, huge amount of time and heartache.

As i have said many many times before getting the logistics around communication right is extremely important. Time is precious and anything that can be done to make every second more valuable is paramount. Any time a developer spends on CDI is time away from the game. The benefit however is huge in terms of the products evolution so it is an extremely difficult balancing act.

Chris

And:

My advice to you then would be to not get involved in the next round of CDIs.

Chris

I.E…. if your feedback doesn’t align with what we are already planning and want to do then we don’t care and leave.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

All I know is that we went from Anet being open about their future plans with big plans and lots of new features to…

Morning All,

You asked me to be honest so I am going to be. I am starting to feel like doing another CDI just isn’t worth the frustration, huge amount of time and heartache.

As i have said many many times before getting the logistics around communication right is extremely important. Time is precious and anything that can be done to make every second more valuable is paramount. Any time a developer spends on CDI is time away from the game. The benefit however is huge in terms of the products evolution so it is an extremely difficult balancing act.

Chris

And:

My advice to you then would be to not get involved in the next round of CDIs.

Chris

I.E…. if your feedback doesn’t align with what we are already planning and want to do then we don’t care and leave.

Not what he said at all (your IE that is)

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

It’s not 300 developers however.

yup. you’re probs lookin at 20-30 people in design. some 3-5 in PR, some 20-40 coders, 2-3 story writers, audio will take quite a few, some managers and rest is more likely then not maintenance/support staff. Which is usually some of the larger parts of companies.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

Posted by: Arcade Fire.4895

Arcade Fire.4895

They decided that it wasn’t worth diverting any attention to the few limited aspects of the game that offer any replay value whatsoever because it was too much work.

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

“They are not sharing profit”
“BOTH Generate revenue to NCSoft”
“They connection to ncsoft means nothing”

Publishers invest money into a studio to make a game which generate profit that they can then invest in another game to generate more profit to invest in more games.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

And Lineage II makes more money for NCSoft than Wildstar and both GWs combined. Maybe the bosses at Anet have to fly to Korea every quarter and beg the Lineage devs for funding

It’s not hard to figure out why this cycle happens. Look at the constant complaints about how expensive gems are getting – the price of gems hasn’t changed since launch. If you buy them. If you exchange in-game gold for them, however, the price keeps going up – because a lot of players are doing it too.

Anet doesn’t pay their staff in game currency. They can track which accounts are buying gems with real money and when the majority of those players are logging in to do Living Story related content, Anet is going to provide them with more Living Story content. When relatively few of these accounts are wandering the WvW area or going through Fractals, then those parts of the game are not a priority.

Not saying this is good or bad, it’s just reality. The company needs money to keep the lights on, and logging in for 10 hours a day to grind gold so you can buy gems or a Legendary costs money, it doesn’t add to their bank account.

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

Exactly. There is always some clown trying to get attention posting that the sky is falling. 12 million subs got hit in WoW and this same post was on the forums at that time.

Posted by: Spirigo.2897

Spirigo.2897

No, actually you are making an ignorant comment.

That guy is right, this is business as usual for MMOs. In every one I played the forums were filled with complaints and whine.

It was like this for GW1 too. People kept calling that game dead years before it actually died. But now everyone seems to look back at it through rose tinted glasses… Funny huh?

Complaining on the forums makes you look cool. That’s all there is to it.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

This forum isn’t even as bad as most.

ipan.4356

That’s true.

Look, we agreed on something.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

No it doesn’t! (Am I cool yet?)

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

So your solution to all this complaining is stopping complaining ??

Nope. My solution to “all this” varies but I think three hurricanes (with a nice rum) and a bowl of breaded and fried shrimp is a good solution. Along with popping in some of my Rooster Teeth DVDs to enjoy utter stupidity in a good way. (Love watching Caboose.)

I got bigger things to worry about than the game.

So far A-Net isn’t fulfilling anything,
-If players want huge game changes they give you a wardrobe
-If players complain about the LS they replace zerking with text box clicking
-If players want new skills they rework existing skills
-If player wants new maps, they create one so simple and so plain that you have no toher chance than asking…. is that it ??? Just delivering a map, to say we did is not the right way…..

I don’t know why you think you need to score points on me. I’m not keeping a scorecard and going “oooh, he got me good”. I couldn’t care less, I just call them as I see them from my own little corner of the game. I find it fun, I am entertained when I log in, and I feel I got my money’s worth out of the initial investment.

And exactly this is the problem. If there is an issue A-Net delivered the least possible amount of everything they could, just to say WE DID IT, we are listening.

Listening to us and following our demands aren’t always the same thing. I really wish that was understood more often.

The only real chance to make this happen is an expansion. But for any reason
A-Net is going into total defense mode when this topic comes up.

Because an expansion isn’t going to fix anything other than add more content people complain about three months later. If they wait that long.

I am happy that this is something you can live with but i am GW veteran and i don’t want this thing going down

I’m also a GW Veteran, from week one of release. Don’t pull that card on me, dear neighbor, because it doesn’t buy you anything more than a pitying glance. GuildWars wasn’t anything special, it was perhaps . . . in many good ways, an iteration of Diablo 2’s design with several balancing decisions attached to make it work for PvP. Much as how League of Legends and DOTA is derived from a Warcraft 3 custom map type, and has evolved into its own thing.

This is what happens when you take Guild Wars and expand it into an MMO. All the cracks in the design become magnified and all the minor issues become unforgivable sins.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Spirigo.2897

Spirigo.2897

No it doesn’t! (Am I cool yet?)

No.

To look cool, copypaste this:

After 2 years:

- No expansion.
- No end game.
- No dungeon
- No mounts
- No GvG
- Nothing added to game
- Living story bad
- Game same as release

I quit.

ZudetGambeous.9573

The difference is that we used to have hope they were working on things and the game would improve. The last few weeks have killed that hope when they came out and said they:

1. Were no longer working on festivals and they would not be returning for 6+ months
2. They are no longer working on dungeons and no new dungeons will be added for 1+ years.
3. Most of their devs work on the chinese release and have not been developing content so there is no real content coming for a while.

It’s very hard to stay positive in light of those recent announcements.

Posted by: Revanssi.4623

Revanssi.4623

Guild Wars 2 has a lot going for it. It’s my opinion that the combat system is one of, if not the best in the MMO industry at the moment. The fluid dodge mechanics, and lack of the holy trinity (Tank/DPS/Healz) make for a unique environment. For me, this is what the main draw of GW2 is. Plus it has destructible environments. So much potential.

It’s a shame that they (the designers) are not capitalizing on this strength. Skins are nice and all – and the game is extremely pretty; but I’d rather have new content that highlights the strength of the game. Creative maps for WvW/sPvP/dungeons, and interesting mechanics for PvE, WvE/sPvP would accomplish this. As a returning player, I see nothing that captivates me. If anything the “living story” is a detriment to my enjoyment of the game as I find the quality of it sub standard (the writing and character interactions are nauseatingly saccharine.). For those that enjoy the “living world”, that’s nice that you do; however different strokes for different folks.

My suggestions:

1. Living Story updates quarterly.
2. Do away with Server vs. Server for WvW and make it based on teams of guilds (for guild vs. guild).
3. Add new dungeons/maps.
4. Drop new dungeons into WvW and link the two together.
5. Continue with adding skins etc., to the cash shop.
6. Capitalize on the strengths of the game.

That’s what would make me stay around, and play this game over new ones coming out. To each their own.

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

This game is not for me anymore.Right now this is what is happening:

• Lets start with WvW that has been forgotten.
    3 new tags?Yea that is something that has been asked from the beggining and Anet makes it 2 years later.And the whole work was just to re-colour the old tag.That is what 2 weeks work max?
    What about new map?It takes them 9 months to design one so they decided to not make one at all?‘’Great job’’!!!
    *In PvP instead of adding new maps they are deleting old maps.They neither are revamping the Mach making system nor are adding new PvP modes.
  • In dungeons there is lack of everything.The only things that they did in there were adding fractals,revamping them once,adding one new TA path and revamping AC.That is the only things they did for what 2 years?Instead of removing the TA path redesign the last boss how hard is that?Only he was buggy.I’m a dungeon lover but GW2 just made me hate the dungeons.Some of the boss attacks are awfully telegraphed.The dificulty of the dungeons is 0.Even Arah and FotM are not that hard anymore.
  • When i compare the Worm and Tequatl 80man fights to Wildstar 40 man raids.Well gw2 is falling behind a lot as far the difficulty is concerned.Both games are action o orriented.
  • What about SAB?Let it RIP in peace said Anet.

Why GW1 had harder dungeons and GW2 is just……
Why GW1 had better PvP scene and Anet made a 180 degree turn?They destroyed everything.How can from 300k viewers in gw1 the game falls to 2k in gw2?
Right now gw1 pvp and pve parts are a lot harder than gw2.

WvW/PvP/Dungeons/Open world Boses(like Worm and Tequatl) everything has been neglected for the LS.Yes i can agree that Anet did a great job with it and the events like Mad king.But that’s to little when the rest of the game has been forgotten.The hard core of the population has been forgotten.

In the beginign GW2 in 2012 was great.I played it a lot.But now i’m leaving it for some MMO.The updates to the game are just not good anymore.If some friend asks me now is it worth it?I’d say no.It’s not good enough.MMOs must have more then 500 hours longivity.And GW2 lost that thing.

What is happening to the game?Here is what!!I 100% agrre with him.

Who knows, they’ve been demonstrating the new PvP arena again, 6 months after it not being released. WvW is stalled into the same boring matchups for months, EOTM doesn’t help either being out of the rotation. The best guilds are leaving the game. This game needs a serious injection of content, not a new trick or Golem mastery (when people already have all the points to fill it up to max and then more)

The last thing it needs is more broken class balancing, like making Tornado useless again and pretending it’s a good thing.

Basically it looks like 80% of their effort goes toward the design of Gem store skins, the remaining 19% into the living story dialogues and 1% into WvW.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

What is happening to the game?Here is what!!I 100% agrre with him.

Thanks, but my post was actually moderated, so it’s better not to bump it.