What IS this dang thing?

What IS this dang thing?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vagrant.7206

Vagrant.7206

I’ve had this item in my inventory since one of the first HoT Beta events. I have no idea what it is supposed to be, but it’s still there.

Attachments:

The great god Lagki demands sacrifice.

What IS this dang thing?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I don’t know but I think it’s a placeholder they put in to show us that those events would drop new, HoT specific, items without giving away what those items actually were. Or maybe they hadn’t decided yet.

I think at this point it’s safe to assume it won’t suddenly turn into something useful and you can delete it if you want to. Although if I had one I’d keep it just for the novelty factor.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

What IS this dang thing?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

It’s just a placeholder icon for a HoT loot that either didn’t get in game or it was reworked and that icon wasn’t updated and is now no longer attached to anything. Keep it as a souvenir if you want. I really doubt they will ever go back and update those “orphan” icons.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

What IS this dang thing?

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

But you DON"T know if will turn into something either. It’s just a guess, one way or the other, so I wouldn’t assume anything. Keep it until it’s official, don’t heed out of the loop speculation.

What IS this dang thing?

Just a flesh wound.3589

But you DON"T know if will turn into something either. It’s just a guess, one way or the other, so I wouldn’t assume anything. Keep it until it’s official, don’t heed out of the loop speculation.

Since it was a common drop for all beta accounts (I got several of them back then) the likelihood of it turning into something valuable is very low. So what will it likely turn into? Probably a common mat of some sort that’s in that area like cassava root. Your post recommends holding on to something that’s taking up an inventory slot, is unlikely to ever be revisited and if it did, it’s likely to be turned into something that’s worth a few copper to a few silver at best.

It might be worth keeping as a souvenir. Keeping it in hopes that it will be turned into an item worth more than a few silver is…. too hopeful.

ANet may give it to you.

What IS this dang thing?

Posted by: Petoox.6570

Petoox.6570

You got it from adventure, instead of going to beta character’s inv, it went into your actual account’s inventory.

What IS this dang thing?

Just a flesh wound.3589

You got it from adventure, instead of going to beta character’s inv, it went into your actual account’s inventory.

The two accounts (beta and regular) were supposed to be strictly separate with no possible crossovers, so I doubt that very much. What I remember is that during those beta weekends I would get one of them as a drop while playing on a regular char on an old Tyrian map and those are the ones that I had after the betas were over.

ANet may give it to you.

What IS this dang thing?

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

It is a placeholder for the currencies that are now in game. I got it via mail one weekend to my non beta side of things. I keep it as a curiosity, it will not become anything else.

What IS this dang thing?

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

i didnt know those dropped on non beta slots

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

What IS this dang thing?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

They came out of achievement chests, which for some reason popped up on main account characters if you were logged in on one when the beta concluded.

Probably they won’t turn into anything because nothing from beta was supposed to convey. Novelty is a fine reason to hold onto them, but not profit (says my pack rat self).

What IS this dang thing?

Just a flesh wound.3589

i didnt know those dropped on non beta slots

There are a few HoT items that sometimes drop in old Tyrian maps. The Leaf fossils are one and I think the reclaimed weapons are another. The [??] Items are probably placeholder items during beta for something like that. Items that would drop in the future from the old maps but they didn’t want them in the trading post before the HoT was released.

ANet may give it to you.

What IS this dang thing?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I seem to remember there was a bug with some of the adventures during the beta where they wouldn’t give the reward chest when you finished it, then it would randomly pop up later.

Some people found if they switched to a non-beta character before that happened they’d still get the chest and it sometimes contained these items. It shouldn’t have happened, but that’s true of all bugs.

My thinking is that if Anet were going to update them to be functional items it would have happened when HoT was released. There’s no reason to keep it secret any longer than that because they were just adventure rewards, not some super-special secret item that only a few people were able to get.

Plus as Just a Flesh Wound said they wouldn’t turn into anything special because it was part of the common adventure drops. It’d be one of the same things everyone gets from there.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

What IS this dang thing?

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

That’s the anet slogan item. “coming soon”

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

What IS this dang thing?

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

also it’s blu rarity…

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

What IS this dang thing?

Posted by: Vagrant.7206

Vagrant.7206

I seem to remember there was a bug with some of the adventures during the beta where they wouldn’t give the reward chest when you finished it, then it would randomly pop up later.

Some people found if they switched to a non-beta character before that happened they’d still get the chest and it sometimes contained these items. It shouldn’t have happened, but that’s true of all bugs.

I think that’s true in my case. If I recall correctly, I did an adventure on a Beta char, and switched chars right after (I wasn’t aware of the bug). The chest popped on my normal character, and so I’ve had it since.

The great god Lagki demands sacrifice.

What IS this dang thing?

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

some incomplete item

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com