What Is In the Forseeable Future?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: weskay.9217

weskay.9217

Feel free to redirect me to an already-made post regarding this if there is one, I simply didn’t want to sift through hundreds or thousands of posts about future content.

Having enjoyed the GW series quite well – for the most part – I don’t wish to point out flaws, I’m just a curious individual wondering what the future holds for GW2.

I’m mainly curious about “end-game”. While I understand the term end-game differs from person to person, my definition of end-game would be best given through examples. My end-game was Fractals of the Mists and Dungeons for GW2 and was Fissure of Woe, Underworld and Domain of Anguish for GW1. They’re something you can enjoy for long-ish periods of time with chances at getting some cool loot or fancy items/skins.

In my opinion, I felt like with the HoT expansion, my enjoyment from Fractals dwindled quite fast because of the change in rewards. I do, however, like the changes to the scales/levels and them being done in a series of three rather than four (for the daily reward chest, at least). I miss the excitement of a guildmate or I getting an ascended chest at the end chest of Fractals. Now, I feel like despite the “fix” to the loot, the drop-rate of ascended chests is still extraordinarily low. I will generalize here but almost every day, someone in my guild would have gotten one ascended chest per day. (Let me include ascended chests from PvP, world bosses, WvW, or otherwise in this mix as well). Since the release of HoT almost four months ago, I feel like the guild in total has had maybe about ten ascended chests drop. This drop-rate has been noticeable to basically everyone in the guild.

Once again, my point was not to become negative and point out flaws, I just wanted to back a point up. I used to thoroughly enjoy Fractals but because of the change in rewards, I don’t feel that enjoyment anymore.

The dungeon rewards were nerfed to make Fractals and Raids seemingly more desirable in terms of rewards. Instead of increasing the rewards in those two areas, they nerfed dungeons. I understand why they did this but I don’t have to agree with it. Because of this, I feel like my enjoyment from dungeons petered off as well.

There is raids but being an advocate of build diversity, a full, successful raid is out of the question since most bosses require you to run a single build/set of stats out of a very limited selection. I’m not interested in that.

This leaves me with a feeling of “what to do now?”. I’m simply curious to see what we as a player base can expect moving forward into GW2. I hear that there will be new raid wings. I want to be excited for this so long as the point I made about raids above is quashed. Any chance we could get news/updates on this?

I want to be engaged in this world but unfortunately, I have been logging in far less because my interest has been fairly rapidly dwindling. Is there anything the developers are able to talk about?

www.vanquishing.enjin.com

Posted by: Thrist.9046

Thrist.9046

I think there will be further changes to Fractals which might invigorate them again. I don’t suspect we’ll see that with dungeons. Beyond that, I think Anet has a lot to think about when it comes to the future, based on the vocal reaction to HoT.

Unless Anet has some overwhelming data that hot was successful in spite of complaints, we’re going to see change.

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

Since legendary armor is going to hit the scene at some point, and likely sooner than later, ascended items will become essentially obsolete. The future is brighter than even I can imagine? As for dungeons as new stuff comes out old stuff can’t be maintained as much. Nerfing them to hell is equivalent to just outright abandoning them as a project and doing basic maintenance on them.

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

This leaves me with a feeling of “what to do now?”. I’m simply curious to see what we as a player base can expect moving forward into GW2. I hear that there will be new raid wings. I want to be excited for this so long as the point I made about raids above is quashed. Any chance we could get news/updates on this?

I want to be engaged in this world but unfortunately, I have been logging in far less because my interest has been fairly rapidly dwindling. Is there anything the developers are able to talk about?

Just in case you haven’t seen it yet: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/state-of-the-game-update-q1-2016/

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Since legendary armor is going to hit the scene at some point, and likely sooner than later, ascended items will become essentially obsolete. The future is brighter than even I can imagine? As for dungeons as new stuff comes out old stuff can’t be maintained as much. Nerfing them to hell is equivalent to just outright abandoning them as a project and doing basic maintenance on them.

Why would ascended become obsolete? Has there been confirmation that the legendary armor would have better stats than ascended, or a new tier above ascended?

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

End game is Tangled Depths Meta; hunting for the mythical chak egg sac.

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Diovid.9506

Why would ascended become obsolete? Has there been confirmation that the legendary armor would have better stats than ascended, or a new tier above ascended?

No. In fact, Anet has clearly stated that they will never add another gear tier.

Posted by: LucianDK.8615

LucianDK.8615

Legendary armor will have same stats as ascended. But their benefit is that you can change stats at will.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

What needs to happen is a professions 2.0 revamp, but will we get that? No.

What you see happening now with patches will be what we are given to play until gw3.

Professions and “roles” will remain convoluted, mashed together and subpar.

More quarterly trait and number reshuffling that do not improve profession or “roles”.

More special events in a corner of DR.

LS3 will come and players will burn through it in a day just for mastery points and not care. Player will continue to ask to be able to skip dialog scenes.

WvW will just be about pve stuff and mastery tracks and reward tracks… Because this mode is not sustainable or enjoyable on profession vs profession combat alone.

Spvp will remain subpar because professions and roles are subpar.

Raid wing will be three more uninteresting bosses with a story tied in that 99.99% of players don’t care about.

Players will probably be able to earn legendary gloves and shoulder pads this year.

We will get another expac and grind out maps for hero points for “unique” elite specializations.

Forums will remain filled with suggestions and requests that we have seen since beta.

Same old same old for 2016.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

Posted by: Paulie.6215

Paulie.6215

Legendary armor will have same stats as ascended. But their benefit is that you can change stats at will.

Sadly legendary armor will be locked behind pve content that some people will never see (or want to)….

Diovid.9506

Sadly legendary armor will be locked behind pve content that some people will never see (or want to)….

So just like many other items in the game then.

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

[SNIP]

Wow. That was a lot of pent up negative.

I understand why you say the things you do, but I am hopeful with the changes in the company (NCSoft is out of the picture), that things will improve.

Do I think they will improve with broad sweeps? No. I’m just hoping they will take into account things that people have been wanting and work on them.

LS3 is coming soon and I am sure it will lead to the next expansion which I am sure will be different than the current one we have. I think they will look at what did and did not work from HoT and hopefully make changes accordingly.

The White Mantle are coming back prominently into the picture, so GW1 nostalgia nuts like me find a reason to look forward to some content we will enjoy for the pure fact that they are infusing more GW1 lore into the game.

Also WvW has a big makeover coming. Hopefully that will revitalize that environment.

I am just hoping for positive things rather than focusing on what could/might be negative.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Well, WvW just barely got out of beta a couple of weeks ago when they fixed stuff that was broken since HoT release, so here’s hoping for a final release version this year!

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

[SNIP]

Wow. That was a lot of pent up negative.

I understand why you say the things you do, but I am hopeful with the changes in the company (NCSoft is out of the picture), that things will improve.

Do I think they will improve with broad sweeps? No. I’m just hoping they will take into account things that people have been wanting and work on them.

LS3 is coming soon and I am sure it will lead to the next expansion which I am sure will be different than the current one we have. I think they will look at what did and did not work from HoT and hopefully make changes accordingly.

The White Mantle are coming back prominently into the picture, so GW1 nostalgia nuts like me find a reason to look forward to some content we will enjoy for the pure fact that they are infusing more GW1 lore into the game.

Also WvW has a big makeover coming. Hopefully that will revitalize that environment.

I am just hoping for positive things rather than focusing on what could/might be negative.

Just being truthful.

Ncsoft is not out of the picture.

Honestly Anet is the slowest to develop “stuff” game company I have experienced. Also, a game company who has spent more time experimenting than churning out fuller and richer products. Even Colin brought up the “expirimenting” comment himself. There are tons of half finished and missing things from this game because of this “expirimenting” and lack of focus.

Professions were and are still poorly designed. Players might as well have not posted on these forums providing suggestions and improvements. The devs know the poor state of professions and most of us know it too, yet they are trying to boost content like raids an wvw and spvp on subpar professions and quasi “roles”… 99% of the game is still about auto attack, berserker, self heals and dodge rolling… Look at the how poorly the devs introduced tanking into the game… Toughness stat. Look at how awful the healing specs and abilities function. Look at how they remove amulets in spvp to do the job of “balancing” to combat the self sufficient zerker bunker meta they created in the first place. Raid bosses are tailored to force certain specs to squeeze out gimmicky things to beat them while most of the boss defeat success is based off of jumping to green circles in time and gliding…

Professions are extremely poor and the only redeeming value to them is the general skill or action responsiveness, a feeling of “smoothness” to things and freedom of movement… but those are combat mechanics. I could go on and on about professions, but what we have with gw2 is AAA base combat mechanics with DDD professions.

These professions, the characters we play, are the #1 most important factor to this game but are given 10th place status. It’s a shame because gw2 could be one of the top tier games for professions and combat and pvp, but for some reason they don’t care to reinvest.

When can I customize my UI?

When can I color my back pieces and weapons?

When will legendary armor be ready as announced as raid rewards last year?

When can the game handle these expensive auras?

When are report functions going to be improved in game?

When are the devs going to release full matching sets of armor, weapons and backpieces and auras?

When am I going to play the Druid that can sustain the zerg as advertised, not the super self healing bunker that they are trying to kill off now?

Why do I have to aim mini reticles on moving targets to heal them? I mean wasn’t the highlight of the games combat movement? So just go create an anti movement friendly healing mechanics?

When are the devs going to rework stealth and conditions and provide equal access to movement skills across professions?

When are we going to get very defined and effective and enjoyable “roles”, not this 3 seconds worth of something that a couple powers can do to simulate a “role”?

The list of questions can go on and on…

Devs don’t communicate either, and by all estimates they are just working on expirimental systems for these other expiremental systems for a projects that will either come out half cooked or never see the light of day.

I’ve been gaming for a long time and I can say that GW2 has some good elements, but when you’ve experienced thousands of other games you can see the big flaws and potential that GW2 has.

GW2 could have the most kick kitten professions and combat system of any fantasy mmo out there, but they just keep tossing it away because they don’t bother to reinvest in these areas.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

Posted by: TheNecrosanct.4028

TheNecrosanct.4028

No. In fact, Anet has clearly stated that they will never add another gear tier.

In fact, I think he meant to say “When you have legendary armor, ascended armor becomes obsolete”. Which would make it more true. The stats would be at the same level as ascended gear, but you’d be able to change it whenever you want, like with legendary weapons. Changing ascended gear stats still has a cost.

Though, considering the legendary armor is an achievement award (you get a chest from which you choose a set of armor, not just one armor piece), it doesn’t seem like people would be able to have multiple legendary armored characters, since rewards from achievements are only granted once. So unless you only ever play with 1 character, ascended armor will still not be obsolete. Future legendary armor sets will probably be introduced, but the day that ascended armor becomes obsolete (to those willing and capable of obtaining legendary armor) will truly be far ahead of us, I believe.

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

Just being truthful.

Well, no one knows what the truth is as none of it has happened yet. You were speculating on what you think is going to happen just as everyone here has.

Ncsoft is not out of the picture.

Yep. My bad. Just rumor from before. ANet is just taking over publishing. That is the only new thing between the companies.

Even Colin brought up the “expirimenting” comment himself. There are tons of half finished and missing things from this game because of this “expirimenting” and lack of focus.

Professions were and are still poorly designed.

[SNIP]

These professions, the characters we play, are the #1 most important factor to this game but are given 10th place status. It’s a shame because gw2 could be one of the top tier games for professions and combat and pvp, but for some reason they don’t care to reinvest.

I don’t necessarily disagree with any of this other than saying the devs know the professions are poor. None of us KNOW what they think.

I too am disappointed with the professions and balance and creativity. Not having the ability to choose skills as we did in GW1 was a poor choice IMO, but I don’t believe that the directions they are headed in with masteries is gimmicky or a bad thing. It gives us more diversity without having to completely revamp the system.

Again, I guess it is perspective. I see the good things that they are trying to accomplish rather than focusing on what might be bad down the road.

(edited by jheryn.8390)

Posted by: weskay.9217

weskay.9217

Some interesting points in here. If the White Mantle are indeed coming back, that could make the story interesting for me, but as someone pointed out above, the storyline has always been quite quick. The HoT storyline (assuming that there are no future add-ons which, if I recall correctly, they won’t do) was quite small. I got through it all in maybe a couple of hours max, if that. I don’t want to derail the topic to another one of those HoT topics, though I do agree that the expansion did seem a bit lackluster based on its pricing.

So yes, the storyline which could include the White Mantle could interest me, but if the storyline is as quick as it has been, I will only enjoy it for a few hours max then I am back to square one, unfortunately. I don’t care for the bi-weekly Living Story releases either. Half of the time, I forgot pieces of what happened in the previous episode and don’t feel like I’m nearly as engaged in the story as I could be if it was all released in one, much like HoT.

Still not much news for my vision of “end-game” though. The new Fractal worlds might be interesting, but the rewards are still problematic to me and since they just “revamped” them, I don’t see them making any changes soon.

www.vanquishing.enjin.com