What Legendaries SHOULD have

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

Selectable sigils and runes like the stat swap we have.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Afraid that I disagree with your, “should.”

Legendaries should have what they were described as having at the time you decided to make them. That does not include sigil swap. It might be nice to add the feature but that is different than, “should,” include.

Personally I would rather this feature not be added to legendary unless it is added to all weapons of exotic grade and higher.

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

I think if it were to be done it should be exclusive to legendary items. It would give more incentive to work for legendary items, and it probably wouldn’t kill the sigil/rune market entirely the way applying to exotic would. It also makes a little more sense for legendary weapons since, as it stands now, you can swap the stats but always end up having to put a new sigil on it…which kind of limits the utility.

And before you say it, “should” indicates that this is my opinion. You are welcome to yours.

Ashen.2907

That limit to the utility is a good thing, IMO, for a weapon tier that is supposed to be primarily a matter of cosmetics. I think that encouraging more people to pursue legendaries is a bad thing.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Why would they give legendaries swappable runes/sigils when they could make you grind out legendary runes and sigils.

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

I’d like to see the ability to upgrade a weapon of Ascended or Legendary class, to be able to socket a sigil into it, which then opens a UI with all possible sigils greyed out and disabled. Upon adding it highlights and becomes usable. Add another and you are able to choose between the two, and so on.

Grinding legendary sigils and runes makes me want to stick a fork in my eyeball.

No idea on what it would cost with in game gold or whether it would be a gem store item, a reward from a quest or any way to obtain it. I have always thought this would be the coolest way to go about something like this.

My 2c

PlagueParade.7942

That limit to the utility is a good thing, IMO, for a weapon tier that is supposed to be primarily a matter of cosmetics. I think that encouraging more people to pursue legendaries is a bad thing.

It’s not a bad thing at all. The cost and time people put into these weapons only to have to continually buy a sigil replacement in order to maximize damage due to different stats needed on a different class can become too costly. People do not just make legendary weapons (and soon armor) just for the skin but also for the stat changes. And think about legendary armor. What is the point in having a stat swap in it when you would have to continually CHANGE the runes you are using? It would get rather pricey and in certain cases time consuming to do this. Think about mesmers needing Leadership runes? They cost 75 Proofs of heroics or 100 crystalline ore a piece and you honestly think they should have to continually get these if they want to swap their legendary armor to a condi setup for their necro or berserker setup for their ele? It is not like everyone is going to get legendary weapons/armor. The majority of players most likely will not get them. So there should not be a shortage on demand for runes and sigils.

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

I don’t know what legendaries are “supposed” to be, but the stat swap mechanic is quite limited in utility as a result of this issue. It seems to me they would be more attractive if there were some way to have swappable stats with some ability to work around this limitation.

In my opinion, legendary weapons being a little more attractive would be a good thing. As it stands, they’re an extremely expensive skin that the vast majority of players simply avoid. With a little boost like this they’d become a bit more useful and more players would spare the time and expense to craft them.

Ashen.2907

It’s not a bad thing at all. The cost and time people put into these weapons only to have to continually buy a sigil replacement in order to maximize damage due to different stats needed on a different class can become too costly. People do not just make legendary weapons (and soon armor) just for the skin but also for the stat changes. And think about legendary armor. What is the point in having a stat swap in it when you would have to continually CHANGE the runes you are using? It would get rather pricey and in certain cases time consuming to do this. Think about mesmers needing Leadership runes? They cost 75 Proofs of heroics or 100 crystalline ore a piece and you honestly think they should have to continually get these if they want to swap their legendary armor to a condi setup for their necro or berserker setup for their ele? It is not like everyone is going to get legendary weapons/armor. The majority of players most likely will not get them. So there should not be a shortage on demand for runes and sigils.

Of course the majority will not get them. That should go without saying.

If lack of sigil swap makes stat changing unappealing then, by definition, people who pursued legendaries, knowing that sigil swap did not exist, did so for the skin.

Ashen.2907

I don’t know what legendaries are “supposed” to be, but the stat swap mechanic is quite limited in utility as a result of this issue. It seems to me they would be more attractive if there were some way to have swappable stats with some ability to work around this limitation.

In my opinion, legendary weapons being a little more attractive would be a good thing. As it stands, they’re an extremely expensive skin that the vast majority of players simply avoid. With a little boost like this they’d become a bit more useful and more players would spare the time and expense to craft them.

ANet said they are supposed to be for the skin. Admittedly adding stat changing, post launch, could be confusing to those unaware that legendary tier was intended to be a matter of cosmetics.

An expensive skin that the majority avoids sounds about right to me.

Posted by: Klowdy.3126

Klowdy.3126

Why would they give legendaries swappable runes/sigils when they could make you grind out legendary runes and sigils.

That would be cool. Take the current concept of “legendary” and apply it to everything gear related (runes, sigils, armor, weapons, and accessories). It would be a long grind, or a ton of gold to get everything, but once you did, you would be set for all game modes.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

This would probably fit better as the role of legendary runes/sigils. You can infuse the stats/effects of any sigil/rune into these legendary versions, which would then allow you to swap at will. Can only go into leg gear.

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

The most sensible idea, if this were to happen, would be you must first equip it to the weapon, then its “unlocked”.

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Posted by: Glacial.9516

Glacial.9516

I think this would be a fine thing to add to all weapons and armor of any rarity. The stipulation being (as some other posts said) that the sigil/rune is consumed and added to the weapon as a possible option. So if one wishes to do so with an exotic, that’s fine but it’s not as if you would get your sigils back when you upgraded to Ascended/Legendary (except for the current one should you salvage it). And legendary would still be the best choice for it.

As for the sigil/rune market, I’m sure it would hurt it but I don’t know if it would hurt it much. It might? I think it’s already a pretty terrible market given how many are sold at vendor price. This type of change may also bring some practical usability to the sigils that target mob types.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Legendary weapons used to stand out because they had the best stats.
Then Ascended gear was introduced.
Legendary weapons still stood out, because they had swapable stats.
Now we are starting to see ascended items that do the same thing.
I agree with the upgrade swapping, even if they don’t go the route of making them something you select, at least allow them to be added/removed (AT NO COST) whenever someone chooses.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Ashen.2907

I agree with the upgrade swapping, even if they don’t go the route of making them something you select, at least allow them to be added/removed (AT NO COST) whenever someone chooses.

Legendaries originally had the same stats as exotics. When ascended was introduced legendary stats were increased to match the new tier. Legendary never had better stats.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Like @Ashen said, legendaries used to have exotic stats and I’m pretty sure I’ve been told they also used to be bound to soldier’s stats (so no stat swapping). When ascended was released, the stats on legendaries was increased to match that of ascended, because ANet (rightfully) decided that for the cost of making a legendary weapon, its stats should be the highest you can obtain.

As for ascended stat swapping, couldn’t you always stat swap ascended through the mystic toilet? And even if you couldn’t, legendaries still have the advantage of being free and not requiring you to keep any items in your inventory to swap on command. Its still more convenient than ascended gear.

Ashen.2907

Yes, originally legendaries lacked stat swapping. That functionally was added to give a small functionality differentiation from ascended.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Still, remains that Ascended gear is catching up with Legendary weapons in functionality. Making sigils swappable with no extra cost involved seems reasonable.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Ashen.2907

Still, remains that Ascended gear is catching up with Legendary weapons in functionality. Making sigils swappable with no extra cost involved seems reasonable.

Ascended is not catching up in functionality. The designated functionality difference between ascended and legendary tier is free stat swapping. Legendary has it, ascended does not. The, by design, primary point of distinction for legendary weapons is cosmetic.

PlagueParade.7942

Of course the majority will not get them. That should go without saying.

If lack of sigil swap makes stat changing unappealing then, by definition, people who pursued legendaries, knowing that sigil swap did not exist, did so for the skin.

Which means there should be no harm in them adding selectable sigils/runes to legendaries. This makes them all the more desirable and not just for the skin. I have seen plenty of people who hate the skins but like the stat swap and reskin them. I for one use the Super Warhorn over the Howler I got and wouldn’t you know, my necro uses it both for condi and power. It gets expensive to continually replace the sigils and so I just do not and in so doing lose out on dps. This is something that legendary weapons (and soon armor) should not have to face.

Ashen.2907

Which means there should be no harm in them adding selectable sigils/runes to legendaries. This makes them all the more desirable and not just for the skin. I have seen plenty of people who hate the skins but like the stat swap and reskin them. I for one use the Super Warhorn over the Howler I got and wouldn’t you know, my necro uses it both for condi and power. It gets expensive to continually replace the sigils and so I just do not and in so doing lose out on dps. This is something that legendary weapons (and soon armor) should not have to face.

Making them more desirable for more than just the skin contradicts your first sentence.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

It would be nice but I don’t find myself using the stat swap feature often enough to really make much of a difference. I certainly I am not going to swap them between characters.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

*Ehm…..

ORIGINALLY legendaries had exotic stats and exotic dmg-values at launch,
no infusion slots and 2 handed weaposn had 1 sigil slot like all 2 handed weapons at that time.*

At all times Legendaries were the equivalent of the higest available gear.

Also on many occasions ArenaNet has said there would be no further introductions of new levels of gear introduced into the game… They broke this promise….And:

With the introduction of Ascended gear: all stats, and dmg of legendaries was raised to the level of asnceded gear, 2 infusion slots were added as well, this was on November 16th, 2012.

Later on we got the second upgrade slot on 2 handed weapons on April 15, 2014.
ArenaNet has said there will be no further introductions of stats, telling us there will never be any gear with stat values higher then Ascneded/Legendary

Please ppl… Even though I have well more then 5 legendaries I’d lke to see ’m as they are, Instead of forcing us to go and buy new sigils/runes whatever so we can swap..

90% of my legendaries/ascneded weapons never swap character. I only moved the meterologicus from ele to mesmer as I always play staff or dagger anyways. I have enough ascnededs for my 20 charcters now anyways. and 15 or 16 armors.

You’ll create: The Generic Legendary People…

IMHO generally these requests seem to come from ppl who want to use 1 weapon on 5-50 characters and then when they say they achieved it immediatley post something like “I have all gear now” and start off on this “I want moar stats or higher tier gear” subject…

SO now when you have all sigils swappable, how will you deal with stat infusions.

When you have your full sets swappable on your gear weight and all rune sets? .
You do want to show ppl your account where all naked ppl are standing around, waiting for their shared legendaries? And all your weapons?
You’ll have characters naked with no personality in your selection screen cause they have no gear to wear,
Which is no cause for alarm of course and their generic outfit will cover them?

And then when you have 3 legendary sets and all (common) legendary weapons, is there any reason to play? Cause you’ll -never- need anything more, all time spend after achieveing this point is wasted as there is nothing better to get anyways.

Yes, maybe skins? They’ll be less interesting then the legendaries themselves . But then? You’ll need to rework their armor skins… Autoswappable amor skins?
Dyes? To dye the outfits or the legendaries? Autoswappable colors
Yes infusions… to clutter everything with bland colors hiding the dyes to become another yellow Legendary wielding firefly… Ah selectable infusions…autoswappable of course.

Else you’de only be generic… with 1 more or 1 less infusion compared to others.

Cause your rich you know Or are you?

To get for final comnpletion of fashion Wars::

• 1 Legendary of each 2 hand
  • 2 legendaries of axe, sword,mace,dagger, pistol
  • 1 legendary focus, torch,shield,warhorn
  • 1 legendary Light armor
  • 1 legednary Medium armor
  • 1 legendary Heavy armor
  • some infusions with AR or nice animations and of course some stats, when..
  • Just do all power, condi and healing… 150 AR on all….
  • outfit or 2 to cover up you have no gear for your alts
  • some dyes to be able to show some personality

And done??

Eh wrong. And so is swapping sigils.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

The people who experiment with stats the most are rarely, if ever, the people who ask for this.

The people who experiment with stats the least and just want to go from meta A to meta B are usually the ones who “need” this.

Posted by: Klowdy.3126

Klowdy.3126

This is a casual game for me, I’ll play the same amount with or without the best gear. I only have heavy ascended gear, but I still play my other classes just as much. Maybe you would have nothing more to do, but I’m fairly content with running around on different classes doing meta events. I’m sure I’m not the only one who just likes to play this game for the fun of it.

You make it seem like moving account bound gear between multiple characters is a bad thing. Crafting in this game is pretty boring, Imo, but that’s only my opinion. If they could add some kind of mini game aspect to it, like fable 2 and 3 jobs were, or something to make it more than just having the mats, ascended gear wouldn’t be such a nightmare to think of collecting. Fractals are probably my other toons’ best chance of getting ascended gear, and that isn’t the most reliable way, especially not for a casual player.

I’m pretty sure, even if they introduced legendary everything, the endgame would be the same objective as before ascended/Legendary; map completion, LS, PvP, WvW, skins, raids (now),etc. People won’t stop playing because they have the best gear, because that isn’t the only thing to do on this game. Other than weapon abilities, gear doesn’t even matter in PvP.

Posted by: Jovel.5706

Jovel.5706

1. It will affect the sigil and rune markets negatively.
2. It doesn’t get rid of the actual problem, just for legendary weapons which is unfair.

There are already a bunch of sigil and rune options costing vendor value on the trading post. Sometimes you won’t even find a buyer, forcing you to hoard or sell to a merchant vendor for the two silver. Adding this functionality to legendary gear will soak up this excess in runes and sigils but for the wrong reason— not because they’re good and balanced, but to assuage some collector’s OCD.

The problem will still persist in exotic, rare, masterwork, fine, and basic rarity gear. What problem, you ask?

All salvage kits in the game destroying gear 100% of the time for their modifications while a GEMSTORE kit salvages them without destroying gear, at the cost of a ridiculous gem price. This gemstore salvage kit, called the Upgrade Extractor was called the “Perfect Salvage Kit” in GW1 and could be crafted at the Eye of the North hub for in-game currency and materials.

ArenaNet are profiting off this problem. Selling kits with higher results to yield rarer materials and modifications in the gemstore is wrong, it was wrong at launch and it is wrong to this day.

Giving legendary gear swappable runes and sigils will not solve this issue nor will it be good for their respected markets. A lousy rune that costs 2-3g doesn’t make it anymore desirable in combat than when it was 2 silver. Just imagine how much the prices of meta runes and sigils will skyrocket if unlocking them required tons for a legendary rune/sigil recipe.

People want to be able to make adjustments to their meta gear without destroying gear and without paying 250 gems PER ARMOR/WEAPON PIECE. Adding the Upgrade Extractor as an in-game salvage kit will not stress the market with the end result totally eliminating the need for any rune or sigil off the trading post. People will be able to resell their modifications, but that beats paying double or triple digits of an unchanged Superior Rune of the Defender.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Polimorphic Sigils and Adaptive Runes should be the legendary versions of Sigils and Runes.

You can use them in any weapon/armor you want to, and they can change into any sigil or rune you want for your build.

The best combo, of course, will be to have your Legendary Weapons slotted with Polimorphic Sigils, and your complete set of Legendary Armor slotted with the mandatory 6(7 if you count UW) Adaptive Runes.

This way you solve the problem with sigil/rune swapping on Legendary items, and add 2 new big, repeatable quests to do for completionists.

Win-win.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

I still think that legendary weapons shouldn’t have the ability to swap stats, but instead focus on being the ultimate “Notice me sempai!” item, and letting you change skins on it for 0 transmutation charges, so you can change it around as you wish.

The stat change was likely added just because most of the players was unhappy with being locked to Soldiers stats for all legendaries.

If you’re first going to go on about changable sigils, then just make Sigils and Runes own equipment slots, and stop stuffing them onto gear. Let us just change them as other equipment. Alternatively move all STATS away from armor/weapons completely and use trinkets for ALL stats. That way we can change stats and sigils/runes independently. by swapping gear.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Any Sigil or Rune you socket into a legendary should be saved and allow you to swap between them out of combat.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Legendaries should have what they were described as having at the time you decided to make them. That does not include sigil swap. It might be nice to add the feature but that is different than, “should,” include.

Personally I would rather this feature not be added to legendary unless it is added to all weapons of exotic grade and higher.

Agreed – the word ‘should’ is one of the holy trinity of words that are used either too loosely or too often in these forums I think (the other two being ‘promised’ and ‘forced’).

Nothing ‘should’ be of a certain design. There are no specific universal rules in which any game is designed, other than perhaps it has to work.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

PlagueParade.7942

1. It will affect the sigil and rune markets negatively.
2. It doesn’t get rid of the actual problem, just for legendary weapons which is unfair.

How many people do you believe will have legendary armor? Do you know hard it is to get a group together? Let alone a decent group that can beat the raid wings over and over again to get the 150 legendary insights needed? There will not be a lot. Legendary weapons are easier to get but still rather costly. People will still play with ascended armor/weps which need sigils and runes. I know I will still be playing my toons with ascended gear I even have exotic gears for them with different looks and skins so I can enjoy more of Fashion Wars 2. Getting sigils and runes on legendary gear will hardly be a detriment to the market. What’s making most of the sigils/runes not worth much are the meta builds that are suggested to use for PvX that is all.

What would be unfair is legendaries NOT getting the swapable sigil/runes added to them. Then, people will not use them to their maximum ability because they will have to continually add to the cost of the legendary if they want to get the maximum use out of them. To continually have to spend more and more EVERYTIME you want to use your legendary gear with a different setup. To continually look at the beautiful gear you made and think I can really only use it this way. People who make legendary gear do not always have enough to change sigils and soon runes every single time their build gets nerfed or another one buffed. Some people spend every cent they got making their legendary and that’s it. They set it up one way and if that setup gets destroyed (like so often happens) they cannot change it. They cannot afford to change it. Are you saying then “tough luck? You should have thought of that before you made said legendary? Maybe you should learn from this and not make another legendary again?”

Builds WILL get nerfed. New builds WILL come along. Expenses will only build with the creation of legendary weapons and people will be less and less willing to make them due to a continual growth in cost after they are made if they are not given the swaps in sigils/runes that they have with stats.

I reiterate, it’s not easy to make a legendary item. It is even more difficult to make the armor due to getting groups together to CONTINUALLY raid with. Why make having a legendary harder to enjoy by not having the swapable stats AND sigils/runes?

(edited by PlagueParade.7942)

Posted by: Plok.5873

Plok.5873

I, once again, support the concept of unlock-able and after that select-able sigils on legendaries. The cost of an unlock could be tuned to prevent heavy market impacts or easy sense of entitlement.

To get for final completion of fashion Wars::

• 1 Legendary of each 2 hand
  • 2 legendaries of axe, sword, mace, dagger, pistol
  • 1 legendary focus, torch, shield, warhorn
  • 1 legendary Light armor
  • 1 legendary Medium armor
  • 1 legendary Heavy armor
  • some infusions with AR or nice animations and of course some stats, when..
  • Just do all power, condi and healing… 150 AR on all….
  • outfit or 2 to cover up you have no gear for your alts
  • some dyes to be able to show some personality

And done??

Eh wrong. And so is swapping sigils.

Mate, what you describe here is quite a long-long-term goal for most people. Something that would lead over a lot of intermediate gear.

Nothing that would be easily finished “And done??”. This exotic case would not have a much effect on markets and gameplay, therefore it is not an argument against swap-able sigils either.

Pry Bar in yo’ face, You big disgrace / Box of Nails all over the place
Pet project: Outfit overhaul.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I think if it were to be done it should be exclusive to legendary items. It would give more incentive to work for legendary items, and it probably wouldn’t kill the sigil/rune market entirely the way applying to exotic would. It also makes a little more sense for legendary weapons since, as it stands now, you can swap the stats but always end up having to put a new sigil on it…which kind of limits the utility.

And before you say it, “should” indicates that this is my opinion. You are welcome to yours.

I completely agree, and I don’t have any legendaries, yet. If they made this change it might give me the incentive to do so but practically speaking, making a few ascended weapons is just as good as making a single legendary and is a whole lot cheaper. Particularly because there are a handful of “useful” stats and sigils (I personally tend to run either Berserker, Marauder, Sinister or Viper weapons with appropriate sigils).

To put this in perspective, making one of the two legendary greatswords costs between 2,000g and 2100g. An ascended greatsword costs between 60g and 75g for most of them but around 90g for Trailblazer or Minstrel.

From a “bang for your buck” standpoint multiple ascended greatswords win hands down. The only real problem with having multiple greatswords is that they take up more bag space but if you’re planning on swapping sigils on the fly then you will have to take up either bag space or lose a lot of the convenience of a legendary as you go to a bank/trading post to get your replacement sigils (at that stage you could store your spare greatswords in the bank). Not to mention the fact that you’re losing gold every time you change your sigils.

Pifil.5193

The people who experiment with stats the most are rarely, if ever, the people who ask for this.

The people who experiment with stats the least and just want to go from meta A to meta B are usually the ones who “need” this.

I’d love to see your sources for this.

Pifil.5193

Agreed – the word ‘should’ is one of the holy trinity of words that are used either too loosely or too often in these forums I think (the other two being ‘promised’ and ‘forced’).

Nothing ‘should’ be of a certain design. There are no specific universal rules in which any game is designed, other than perhaps it has to work.

I don’t believe that the OP is trying to declare that this is some kind of “universal truth”. I think that it’s generally understood that when people say something “should” besome way that it means that they think it would a good idea and something they want or like. I think it’s better to focus on the suggestion and not semantics.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I don’t believe that the OP is trying to declare that this is some kind of “universal truth”. I think that it’s generally understood that when people say something “should” besome way that it means that they think it would a good idea and something they want or like. I think it’s better to focus on the suggestion and not semantics.

That may very well be true in a lot of cases (in which they probably mean ‘could’), but when the OP capitalises the word ‘Should’ in their title, it’s harder to say the same here.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Pifil.5193

That may very well be true in a lot of cases (in which they probably mean ‘could’), but when the OP capitalises the word ‘Should’ in their title, it’s harder to say the same here.

Good point, I didn’t notice that to be honest.

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

Considering the MUCH larger materials list for Legendaries, the requirements to enter other game modes, the bar of looting a precursor, and the reduced chance of getting a precursor you actually want to make into a Legendary, I feel legendary weapons should markedly stand out from Ascended and they just don’t seem to very much.

I’m not sure I can agree with any of the suggestions here but what is the point of having achieved one of the major goals in the game when we can usually replace it with an ascended weapon in much of the content without losing any affect at all?