in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gryphon.7058

Gryphon.7058

Leaving behind creativity-smothering, lazy, and futile complaints like
1) “that would be hard to design”
2) “that would be hard to balance”
3) “that’s not realistic”
etc.

If you were to design a New Profession, what would it be?

I have my own fledgling ideas but I wanna see yours first.

What New Profession would you design?

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Bard/Minstrel. I don’t know what mechanic would set it apart, but I would give it plenty of group buffs.

Posted by: Dubblebass.8519

Dubblebass.8519

Dark hit mine spot on. I loved the bard in EQ back in the day. I played a bard in pnp D&D some times, and I would love to see something like that in GW2.

+1 Dark.

Kieron Asbjorn – 80 Guardian | Saiuri – 80 Elementalist
Xylani – 80 Ranger | Osoroshii – 80 Warrior
GoM [LGG][COI]

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Personally, I’d love to see some kind of elementalist/knight class. Heavy armor, and uses elemental magic to charge their weapons in battle. Basically, an elementalist that wears heavy armor and works in melee range (and maybe uses a bow or rifle at times). More flexable than guardians or warriors with any one weapon, but fewer weapons to choose from.

If there was such a class, I’d wait and release it with Tengu as player characters.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Silver Chopper.4506

Silver Chopper.4506

Simply, the Dervish of GW1. Scythe-wielding spinning death machine.

Attachments:

(edited by Silver Chopper.4506)

Posted by: Sythus.2396

Sythus.2396

Personally, I’d love to see some kind of elementalist/knight class. Heavy armor, and uses elemental magic to charge their weapons in battle. Basically, an elementalist that wears heavy armor and works in melee range (and maybe uses a bow or rifle at times). More flexable than guardians or warriors with any one weapon, but fewer weapons to choose from.

If there was such a class, I’d wait and release it with Tengu as player characters.

That would be extremely overpowered! I wouldn’t mind an Anti-Guardian profession. We’ve got the more holy themed profession covered up, so it would be nice to have a heavy one that relies more on darkness.

Posted by: Black Scoutsman.5830

Black Scoutsman.5830

I would love to see a Centurion type. Land spear, one or two handed and a mid ranged beast machine.

Also, I wouldnt mind seeing a sniper type of class, since its clear that the ranger longbow is going nowhere fast with the developement team. A power driven longbow, rifle or even Crossbow maybe??

also, +1 to dervish, as long as they add 2 handed axe

Human Warrior, Ranger and dedicated Scout of Yaks bend
The Pinnacle of Resposibility [Mom]

Posted by: andreibianu.8051

andreibianu.8051

I would love to see some sort of wrestler/luchadore themed class that uses armored fists and grappling moves . Like literally grappling everything – bears, minotaurs , destroyers etc. A class that can run around screaming about the honor of the mask while dropkicking branded and suplexing jotuns.

Or like sythus said a dark and ominous plate class – maybe a reformed risen or something.

Posted by: Snow White.9680

Snow White.9680

My ideal class:

*Wears Light armor

*Wields a Short bow, Long bow, Staff, MH Sword, OH Sword, OH Shield

*Has massive group boons and aoe

*Shape-shifts into a beautiful horse for a speed buff!

(edited by Snow White.9680)

Posted by: Windwalker.2047

Windwalker.2047

I would design an elementalist that had a passive that says:
‘Cannot be nerfed by balance devs that do not play an elementalist’

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

Hmmm toss up between

Summoner – Can be spec’d to summon demons or animals
Chronomancer – master of time!
Monk/Priest/Cleric

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

The Tinfoil Spartan. Class would be similar to warrior but have only shouts for skills.

1. “THIS IS NERFED!” Causes aura of light to shine around for 15 seconds does little damage.
2. “Drop rates…CHANGING!” Violent AOE, causes health to drop to 1HP for 5 seconds.
There’s more, but that’s a good start.
;)

I’d actually like to see a dark mage of some sort, not necro undead stuff just dark magic no pets other than maybe an elemental minion.
Monk (hand to hand) would be cool.

Attachments:

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

A return of the older GW1 professions!
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Profession

Assassin
Ritualist
Monk
Paragon
Dervish

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

A heavy armor “evil” like class it seems to be the only thing missing. Maybe a heavy armor condition dmg class. The 2 heavy armor classes now have soso condition but i would like to see one that can pull off all if not most.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

A heavy armor “evil” like class it seems to be the only thing missing. Maybe a heavy armor condition dmg class. The 2 heavy armor classes now have soso condition but i would like to see one that can pull off all if not most.

Do we have a class that leeches health other than thf’s one healing skill that sorta does? Maybe Dark Knight style of class would fit.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

Bard/Minstrel. I don’t know what mechanic would set it apart, but I would give it plenty of group buffs.

I think singing a high C should do something awesome.

An opera aria should do some cool AOE stuffs……

ooh and flinging a lute like a boomerang should be a must!

(edited by Aerinndis.2730)

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Do we have a class that leeches health other than thf’s one healing skill that sorta does? Maybe Dark Knight style of class would fit.

This is how i see it: Copy from wiki pages sry for being lazzly.

Soldiers
Guardian=good
Warrior=non
Adventurers
Engineer=non
Ranger=good
Thief=evil
Scholars
Elementalist=good
Mesmer=non
Necromancer=evil
Mind you evil not true evil good not true good etc… I guess you could some what say evil is doing condition dmg and effects to mobs good would be supporting your team and doing mostly non condition dmg and non would be a mix of both. I am not sure if they all fit this though all realty a point of view. It just seems that the Soldiers type is missing one but what is left for Soldiers we have the Paladin type we have the stander fighter what else is there other then maybe an evil Paladin? Or even a high tech soldier type.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

nexxe, you read my mind. I also would like the return of the older professions in Gw1.

In addition, my most 2 favorite classes I would like a comeback are the ranger; obviously and the Ritualist- would fit perfectly right in with the ranger and necromancer in gw2’.

They were Beautifully well designed.

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

(edited by Burnfall.9573)

Posted by: andreibianu.8051

andreibianu.8051

I think to satisfy everyone’s hunger for new classes the gw 1 primary/secondary proffesion mechanic should be ressurected .That way there would be sooooo many new class combos , each with its own name . Like a warrior with a thief secondary -it could be called a shadow enforcer….or roflstompmancer

Posted by: Curo.2483

Curo.2483

MONK! But not like GW1 “all I do is heal” monk, but rather monks as they are supposed to be. Perhaps a medium-armoured close range fighter with spiritual/defensive powers. Kind of combination of Thief and Guardian: hit-and-run tactics, but not high burst dmg, balanced with durability, but not tankability. Very active combat, lots of defensive play required. Kind of like a melee Mesmer…you know how Mesmers are always dodging and distorting, etc.

Curo Lunesque – “Concerned Citizen and Community Builder”
NSP – northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

GW1 Assassin, 10x funner than thief.

A Tony Jaa profession, which would come out of nowhere constantly and knee people in the face, easily dispatching its victims with incredible martial arts. I guess you could call it the Monk.

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

Posted by: Drol.8423

Drol.8423

Michael Jackson from the Moonwalker game.
/dance would change forever!

Posted by: FourthVariety.5463

FourthVariety.5463

1. Chronomancer from scrapped GW1 designs
2. Bard
3. Paragon from GW1 with a new name
4. Panzer Dragoon

Posted by: mesme.5028

mesme.5028

Just give me my gw1 rit and ill be a happy bunny, ive just purchased gw2 a week or so ago, the reason i didn’t get sooner was no rits !!!

Thou i live in hope a new expansion will see me playing my all time fav class of any game ive ever played

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

How about one called the “Arrowcart Operator”. He would have permanent access to a mobile arrowcart that he pushes in front of him. Also, permastealth.

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

Honestly, I think ArenaNet has covered it all. Any new profession would mostly just be a variation of the existing professions and/or races, i.e. hunter (ranger), assassin (thief), paladin (warrior), monk (guardian), priest (elementalist), shaman (necromancer), artificer (engineer), druid (norn), warlord (charr), and so on. And since professions in Guild Wars 2 are suppose to be heroes, we won’t see any “dark” professions.

The only new class I can really think of, is a Bard. But it would need a huge redesign to be taken seriously. Maybe something like a heavy armored Bard, that utilises sound by stomping the ground and pushing air, using a combat form based around rhythm and beats. It could use weapons like hammer, staff, maces, and warhorn.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

Posted by: Makarei.4316

Makarei.4316

they was already a new profession wasn’t it a commando?

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Ranger.

/15 chars

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Mightylink.3816

Mightylink.3816

Dragon Knight, because we currently have 1 less heavy class then medium or light and also cause we need a more darker heavy class then warrior or guardian. My original thought was actually Dark Knight but then I see this game has so much to do with dragons and that can be used as part of the classes lore in some way.

I can see the story in the character creator now, which dragon do you serve, just like which god you serve in the human story.

Mightylink – Norn Necromancer
Mythiclink – Asura Engineer

Posted by: DrixTrix.7168

DrixTrix.7168

i would rename Ranger to Beastmaster anyone with a ranger i would give a free class change to Archer (Ranger), if they want.

- no pets
- proper bow usuage
etc etc

as somebody else said, Chronomancer the time themed class that was scrapped.

one ability i would give the Chronomancer would be ’’Paradox’’ – once you are downed you create a paradox, creating a copy of yourself, this becomes you when you are stomped with however much life you had when stomped.

so if your carefless you could have a 3/4 full chronomancer on your hands or if you pai attention, simply a dead one.

Posted by: Kudzu.7569

Kudzu.7569

Also a big fan of the dervish and bard suggestions! Was going to make those myself, haha. =D

Aside from those two I’ve also always loved brawlers (fist weapons/barehanded styles). There’s something awesome about seeing someone rushing at you with this big ol’ weapon and just shouting back “I SMASH YOUR ARMORS WITH MY FISTS!!!” Not realistic in any sense of course, but so very fun!

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
– Mike Obrien, President of Anet

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

here is my randomness
+1 heavy class – Paragon – spear or sword (melee) and shield

+1 medium armor – Ministrel (why not? they even had a prank about it).

+1 light armor (Dervish , fast scythe user, and other weapon ) and a trait that could give several personal boons very similiar to gw1.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: bpphantom.8243

bpphantom.8243

Oh god yes! My favourite class from GW1 and what ended up supplanting my previous main as my New Main.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman.”

Posted by: Sericenthe.5310

Sericenthe.5310

How about one called the “Arrowcart Operator”. He would have permanent access to a mobile arrowcart that he pushes in front of him. Also, permastealth.

Sure, and since WvWvW is now officially Arrow Cart Wars he would be OP as heck.

I love the Bard idea. If it’s done right. And it would be totally different than the other classes.

Seri Kali [Me] – 80 Necromancer -Yak’s Bend

Posted by: XelNigma.6315

XelNigma.6315

Golemancer, class mechanic would be a customizable golem (press K to bring up customize window to rename and change parts). You F-keys are; F1 attack target F2 Return, F3 Hostile/Passive Mode, F4 Repair Golem. F4 is disabled while the golem is alive, once the golem is destroyed you can use F4 to basicly rez the golem while in combat. the progress is saved and you dont need to be near where the golem died.
Your skill sets would mainly focus on the golem like;
‘Golem Function’ which is an ability that triggers your golem to perform an action, like fire an ion beam.
‘Dopplegolems’ which deploys several mini golems to do a specific action, such as attack or spread out and deploy as small aoes.
‘Teamwork’ which would be abilitys where the golem and you come together to perform an action. like a “Cannon ball” ability where the golem throws you at the enemy, Leap: Finisher.

At first you wouldn’t have many golem parts for your golem, but each ability you learn unlocks as new golem part, kinda like the engineer with his toolbelt. This also means there are special golem parts that are race specific. The golem parts will each have there own graphical look if they are visible, things that go inside the golem wont change the appearance. Some parts will simply change the golem’s stats while others will change his abilitys.

Your tier2 elite would let you pilot your golem which would give you access to all its normal attacks (1-5) and special abilitys it would normally not have access to (6-9) with 0 being exit golem. If you are defeated while piloting, the golem is destroyed and you are ejected.

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

Talking about Chronomancer being srapped, check this out., you’ll be Amazed

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/User:Amantis/Chronomancer

Many would’ve preferred that class than the Stealth thief which is tremendously breaking class balance in this game.

Obviously,

Amantis/Chronomancer “shadow” class would’ve been a Threat to the Thief “stealth” class if they were to implement it to gw2.

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

(edited by Burnfall.9573)

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

This is some random idea I came up with last night when I first saw this post.

Duelist

• Uses Swords, Greatswords, Daggers, and Pistols (offhand only)
  • Swords and Daggers have different 1-5 abilities depending on which hand they are in or if they are wielded in both. It will make it have more skill choice with less weapons. Righties focus on debilitation. Lefties focus on takedowns. Dualies focus on raw DPS. Daggers can used as ranged weapons.
  • Greatswords can be wielded in main hand only but it will be slow and your skills will be defensive with a few counters. A Greatsword in both hands focuses on AoE.
  • The Duelist’s combat mechanic relies on Stances which can trigger devastating attacks if triggered or self-buffing shouts if ignored. This is meant to give the enemy the choice of taking the hit or letting the Duelist buff himself. Some Stances force a change of target for the enemy and locks targeting in hopes to shift aggro.
  • This class has weak attack power but gets most of it’s power from Stances and the control they provide.
  • Healing is done by more passive Stances.

Attack Power: Very Low
Stance Attack Power: High
Armor: Medium

Talking about Chronomancer being srapped, check this out., you’ll be Amazed

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/User:Amantis/Chronomancer

Many would’ve preferred that class than the Stealth thief which is tremendously breaking class balance in this game.

Obviously,

Amantis/Chronomancer “shadow” class would’ve been a Threat to the Thief “stealth” class if they were to implement it to gw2.

Necros and everything else are threats to the Thief right now.

(edited by Zacchary.6183)

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

Pilot/Captain

Has the ability to command vessels. On land this could be a charr tank, on the ocean a pirate ship or submarine, and perhaps in some areas this could be an air vessel.

These ships/vessels could carry your entire party. Each would have it’s own weapons /attacks.

Once the ship is destroyed your weapon skills are greyed out until you can summon a new vesel. Vessel’s are attached to F1-4 and have a long cooldown.

Advantage is
- being able to carry team
- great armor for you and your team
- decent damage

Disadvantage
- Slow attack rate
- have to summon vessel before attacking – like throwing up your mantras

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

I’d bring in a EQ style Druid (love the buff/heal/dot playstyle) or the Valewalker from DAoC.

More scythe wielding cloth melee please

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: Dried Donkey.8504

Dried Donkey.8504

Vengeful Was Khanhei

Posted by: Aristio.2784

Aristio.2784

Monk, and not the old GW1 Monk.

A Martial Monk that works with their fist to pummel their enemies to the ground.

Mainhand Weapons:
Hand-to-hand
Sword
Scepter
Staff
Chakram
Longbow

Offhand weapons:
Focus
Torch
Sword

Aquatic:
Spear
Trident

Profession Mechanic:
Stances. Stances add secondary effects to all main weapon skills. If you use a skill in Snake Stance, it will go ahead and maybe chill your opponent, if you use the same skill in Ram Stance, it will buff you with might, and if you use it in Turtle Stance, you will blind the enemy.

Snake Stance-Meant for Control
Ram Stance-Meant for Damage
Turtle Stance-Meant for Support

Armor: Light
Health: High

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I wouldnt add in the first line new classes.
I’d do a far much much more superior game design change compared to everything that has been suggested here so far.

I’m an absolute supporter, when it comes to Sub Class-Systems, as this is exactly what GW2 needs for the future and will be the far superior overall solution, as it will be the only way, how Anet can provide within this game more character progression over time in future by giving the players some kind of CHOICE how to develop your characters further like you want to have them and making your characters by that way alot more unique and individual.

Mesmers could have Sub Class Developments, like:

• Minstrel (Mesmer with much better Support Role)
  • Psionic (Mesmer with much better Control Role)
  • Fencer (Mesmer with much better Attack Role)

Warriors could have Sub Class Developments like:

• Duelant (Warrior improved more on Agility)
  • Berserker (Warrior improved more on brute Power)
  • Dragoon (Warrior improved in Agility and Power with new features)

Guardians could have Sub Class Developments like:

• Augmentor (Guardian improved for Support)
  • Patron (Guardian improved for Control)
  • Musketeer (Guardian improved for Attack)

Rangers could have Sub Class Developments like:

• Scout (Ranger improved for Control)
  • Hunter (Ranger improved for Attack)
  • Druid (Ranger improved for Support)

Thiefs could have Sub Class Developments like:

• Rogue (Thief improved for Attack)
  • Saboteur (Thief improved for Control)
  • Infiltrator (Thief improved for Support)

Engineers could have Sub Class Developments like:

• Alchemist (Engineer gone 100% Alchemy – Support)
  • Technician (Engineer gone 100% Technic – Control)
  • Inventor (Engineer improved as Allrounder between both Alch & Tech – Attack)

Necromancers could have Sub Class Developments like:

• Witcher (improved Necromancer with more Dark Knight style gameplay – Attack)
  • Visionary (integrates passive chronomancy, astral magic, ritualist gameplay with time spirits – Control)
  • Exorcist (the Anti-Necromancer – Support)

Elementalists could have Sub Class Developments like:

• Arcanist (Elementalist for pure Melee Battle improved – Attack)
  • Summoner (Elementalist improved for Control)
  • Runologist (Elemetalist improved for Support)

When we would have something like this, then there would be basically nothing left open class wise and there would be no new seperate new class needed, because everythign what we can think of and what we want/need, can be simply integrated into the existing classes via sub classes.
——-

If I had to design just only 1 single new class – my answer would be very difficult to decide, as I would be split between either Dragoon or Visionary… but I think I’d end up with Visionary.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Knight-Mage. Either necrotic or elemental based (frost/fire) magic.

GW2 is missing a heavy armor wearer that is part (offense) caster.

Past examples: DAoC’s Reaver and WoW’s Death Knight.

I miss playing both.

So, Gryphon, what’s yours?

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

Posted by: Drasleona.5049

Drasleona.5049

if anyone here has played Lineage 2, i personally would love to put the Kamael race and classes into the game. Doombringer the class that wields a 2 hand sword with 1 hand, because he can. Soul hound Rapier wielding battle mage attuned to dark arts, in melee and in ranged combat. Trickster i wouldn’t import because its not going to add much, since theres plenty classes out there who are on par with it. and then the Judicator. the one who debuffs the enemy to death and buffs his own team/allies. he was listed as an enchanter in l2. so meh.

it will never probably happen, but since both franchises are under NCsoft label, i can only hope that there will be a game that features the Kamael again. (cool lore aspect about the kamael, created by the giants who picked a fight with gods purely to slay the gods and have a very humanoid form that is incomplete. their final form is a winged humanoid plentiful with dark energy and the ability to absorb souls and use them to amplify their abilities. their unfinished form is of a pale humanoid with their left angel like wing attached. however during combat and use of abilities the right wing appears through flashes of the dark energy they harness.)

[VexX]Feared Sniper -JQ Since BWE1
Lvl 80 Beast Master Ranger
VexX Gaming United

Gryphon.7058

I love all these ideas! My favorites here are Bard and…

CHRONOMANCER!

I actually had no idea it was scrapped or that so many people had thought of it, but I’ve had some great ideas in relation to it.

-Like skills that allow you to rewind an enemy’s movements. Or rewind your own movements also undoing all the damage that was done to you in that time.

-A Repeat field wall that stops enemy projectiles but duplicates every friendly projectile that travels through it.

-A skill that splits the user into two copies. The one you control is invulnerable but can attack enemies. The other copy follows you around, mimicking your actions 1.5 seconds later. It IS vulnerable and any damage done to it is done to you.

-A skill that marks the target’s position when activated. If you can lure them back into that same position within X time, they will get stuck in a loop for Y seconds.

-A skill that causes boons and conditions to resolve at half time on the user while active (so instead of Poison hitting once per second for five seconds, it would hit once every two seconds for ten seconds. Boons like Protection and Stability would just double in their duration). And a counterpart to this skill that causes boons and conditions to resolve at double time on your target.

-A stop-time AoE that literally stops everything in mid-stride within the target area.

-And more…

Gryphon.7058

I also think the profession mechanic for a Chronomancer could be an hourglass that refills at a certain rate. Time-manipulating abilities could last as long as there is still sand in the glass, but they drain the glass at a certain rate. Or of course, abilities could be stopped before they drain the hourglass.

There could also be a passive Benefit selected, such as
- Increased Endurance Regen Rate
- Increased Movement Speed
- Increased Action Speed
- Decreased Boon/Condition Resolution Rate
- Quicker Cooldowns

As well as a Passive Detriment which basically does the opposite of any of these things.

If a Passive Benefit is selected, it slows the Hourglass Recharge by a bit. If a Passive Detriment is selected, it quickens the Hourglass Recharge. Neither are mandatory to select.

Posted by: Scourge.4317

Scourge.4317

Seeing those pictures and then thinking about the Paragon and Ritualist really makes me sad that they decided to merge those into some of the classes we have now. Heck a lot of the cool things like the individual animations that each profession had that was taken out makes me q_q.

Anyways Id like to see the Chronomancer that was going to be a profession for the canceled campaign Guild Wars Utopia.

Edit : Gryphon beat me to it.

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

Dervish.

The great forum duppy.

Posted by: Paradoxine.8192

Paradoxine.8192

This a thousand times. If nothing else I want the scythe, I’d use one on my necro in a heartbeat, even If the skills were UP.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Personally, I’d love to see some kind of elementalist/knight class. Heavy armor, and uses elemental magic to charge their weapons in battle. Basically, an elementalist that wears heavy armor and works in melee range (and maybe uses a bow or rifle at times).

The way I see it, and I don’t know any more than the next guy, is they’re not going to double up on themes. I’d be very surprised if they added a second profession that utilized elemental (elementalist), divine (guardian), arcane (mesmer), or dark (necromancer) magic. They can still add new magic users, but I suspect it will be unique.

So to fill your desire for a heavily armored spell caster, and to appease those who long for their ritualists and dervishes, what if they added a soldier profession combining the combat mechanics of the dervish and the spirit magic theme of the ritualist?