What WEIRD stuff do YOU do in-game?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

I’m weird. I know it. But I’m not the only one; I see people every day that hop all over the place as if the ground were covered with hot coals. I don’t understand it. I just assume that they’re weird too.

So what do I do that is weird?

• Ever since I achieved the “Lean Techniques” Gliding Mastery, I find that I always want to pull back (the “S” key) and try to stick a nice, soft, picture-perfect landing; much like a stunt parachutist flaring up to slow his descent at the last moment before touching down. Is that weird?
  • Also, I always have to JUMP through Asuran gates. This idiosyncrasy is due to the classic Star Trek episode “The City on the Edge of Forever”. The show features a device similar to the Asuran Gates, but due to poor set design the actors had to “hop” over a threshold to pass through. Hence, my characters have to hop through the gates. Is that weird?

That’s me. Do any of the rest of you have any quirks you’d like to share? Perhaps you bunny-people wish to share your reasoning?

What do you do in-game that’s weird?

Attachments:

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I tend to walk to my destinations, using the roads. I’ll only use portals when I’m in a hurry.

I should amend that: I follow the roads until I see a harvesting node, I’ll leave the road and most likely will never reach my destination, because the trail of nodes is always luring me to the other side of the map.

And with the ability to glide everywhere, I’ll climb every mountain, only to glide down again. Which has the advantage that I won’t be distracted by nodes….

Posted by: Telemin.7380

Telemin.7380

I flower spam (set the skill 3 to auto attack) the bank steps in LA for hours on end.

Been doing that since year 1 and still flower spamming hard.

Teh Ouchies

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I undercut by more than a copper on the TP.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Kiba.9743

Kiba.9743

I look at player characters a lot when in the city. Zoom in and all. So I can judge how they look. I enjoy seeing a very well-made character that looks great or have a chuckle if I see something ridiculous.

I usually only use a waypoint one time to get to the map I need and I walk the rest of the way. I’m really cheap and waypointing all the time is expensive!

“Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow”

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I tend to talk about nachos in map chat. You’d be surprised by how many positive responses I get.

I also use nachos as a greeting.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I tend to talk about nachos in map chat. You’d be surprised by how many positive responses I get.

I also use nachos as a greeting.

Buenos nachos, amigo!

Food chats are nearly always fun (can we ever run out of things to say about bacon? or poutine? yes, probably within 30 seconds, but still: fun).

I, too, refuse to calmly walk through asura gates — dodge-jump whenever possible.

Generally, when listening to my own tunes (which is just about all the time), my characters tend to skip/dance to their destination, in time with the music.

The other weird thing I do is: when someone asks a game question in /map, I actually answer the question (or, at worst, refer them to the same /wiki page I’d use to find out).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

On my necro I walk around the human graves in queensdale and laugh at them

Posted by: Rodzynald.5897

Rodzynald.5897

One word: Roleplay

Guardian is meant for jolly crusading.

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I do many of the things mentioned so far. It is interesting to see that others do as well.

I like to make an exit
One thing I do that I do not notice others doing is that I try to make a flashy departure by using a skill when I disappear from others’ screens due to my waypointing/logging:

• Mesmer – Usually hit greatsword #3 (mind stab) right on my feet and log as the ‘spiky-things’ shoot upward around me.
  • Ranger – Usually hit my Strength of the Pack elite and log right when the wispy fire stuff or whatever swirls around and hits me like I’m a Highlander experiencing The Quickening. That or I use the Entangle elite and log right when I impact the ground when vines and smoke burst up.
  • Warrior – I think I normally hit the Signet of Rage elite. I think that is the one where you stick your arms out and some burst effect happens or something.
  • Necro – I normally hit Spectral Walk and log right when I turn to transparent green mist-form as if I phased out of existence.
  • Ele – I used to hit an aura shield skill to make it seems as though I exploded into particles of that element…but you know…aura nerf, so no more of that. Now I sometimes simply drop a Fiery Greatsword on myself as I log.
  • Engi – I Sometimes drop the elite supply crate on myself and log on impact, other times a random elixir and log at the end of the consume animation.
  • Guardian – Do not play it
  • Thief – Do not play it often
  • Revenant – Do not own it

This is probably something I do because of the ‘teleport home’ skill we had some years ago when I played Rift. You could teleport back to the main city using a skill, but it would take like 10 seconds to cast it (and an hour cooldown or something) and the skill effect was a swirly vortex that you’d disappear into at the end of the cast. I always liked seeing someone cast a spell and then disappear or materialize slowly when they log in instead of people just disappearing from existence or materializing out of nowhere, which is pretty immersion-breaking to me. After defeating a boss there would be a huge number of vortices dwindling down to none where it was kind of a mini-game to see if you’d be the last to port out. Here we have an instantaneous mass disappearance of a huge number of people. Not really a big deal, I know, but I notice it and I do not particularly like it, so I do what I do.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

Posted by: ShortnCurly.9018

ShortnCurly.9018

So gonna try this ranger log out thing, good idea than you.

All of mine are ffor ranger…
I like to GS or Staff 3 through Asura Gates.
Or zipp past first timers in Metrics Province, was it a bird? Was it a plane?
Or GS 3 off cliffs and catch the glide at the end.

On a more helpful note, I use Resounding Timber on my Ranger to give randoms swiftness and regen.
I do this in EotM for slow people in Scorps to help them catch the group

Proud member of uPOI, Undiscovered Point of Interest an OCX guild on NA.

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

I always play only games that I really like and put a lot of immersion into them. Sometimes I just do things no player of video games would mind.

1a) I am a Asura(cist). Asura have priority #1 when someone’s downed nearby. I also greet people with “Excelsior” and use proper spelling and grammar (as much as I can due to the fact I am not a native tongue), often getting things to hear like: “OMG Don’t put apostrophes and periods at the end of a sentence”.

1b) Many people have several characters or “toons” as you call them, but there is only ONE Zedek(k). I have no alternative characters, in no game. I think it’s weird to have several characters that are so different from your main.

1c) Nobody minds to switch guilds like crazy. I do. Loyality is becoming more and more rare, and even nobody noticing, I usually stay at your side to the end.. like in my current guild which is almost dead.

2) I do not want to jump into water. Since I stepped into a deep puddle hidden by snow I know how bad it is to live with wet socks for hours. I couldn’t imagine to jump into water with my Noble Armor set. It must be heavy and cold. I try to avoid water whenever it’s possible, except it’s a huge part. I could justify this with preparation, e.g. “let’s help those Quaggan and prepare for that”. But randomly using a shortcut trough a river – nope. I look for a bridge.

3) I do not like to run. I think I only run when figthing or when I do not want to use waypoints. But else, it looks exhausting..^^

4) I only log off in a city and/or in a shelter. Logging out in the middle of field? Never. Going into a Norn tend, below a metal roof next to a Charr blacksmith or inside a tree. But normally, I log off in a lab in Metrica Province (because Rata Sum’s initial loading time would be too much). I’m Asuran, so I “live” next to the capitol. And let my Asura do his everyday’s life stuff when I am logged out. (Weird to type that out HAHA)

5) I turn off any music and turn off other sound sources (e.g. TV). I only have the ingame ambient sound, sound effects and dialogue on. Where is that music supposed to come from? It is there to modify the feelings you have (epic battle, mysterious music) etc. But sometimes the sound effects and drones are utterly creepy and hidden below music or lost by distraction due to TVs, radios and people nearby. As said, immersion.

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”

(edited by Zedek.8932)

Hamfast.8719

I tend to walk to my destinations, using the roads. I’ll only use portals when I’m in a hurry.

Ahh, yes! I do that from time to time. Do you actually mean walk? I use the roads and even walk where it seems appropriate (mostly in town). I despise being sped up by Guildies in town that have the “Pact Commander” set of Masteries! I will never have that for myself until they give us the ability to dismiss the speed.

• That’s another of my eccentricities. I hate being sped up by other players (sorry, ShortnCurly). When I want a speed boost, I’ll give myself a speed boost. (I don’t consider speed a boon. It erodes my fine control over my toon – it makes my orderly actions feel unmanageable. Maybe I’m just getting old.)
    When someone else speeds me up, I will often stop moving altogether until the buff goes away. And I will never accept the invitation to join a more crowded server because I don’t want their “reward” of more speed.

Hehe… I knew someone would say that.

Many people have several characters or “toons” as you call them, but there is only ONE Zedek(k).

Of course! It is against the rules to stack Zedekk.

(I also love a good pun… if there is such a thing. That’s both in and out-of-game.)

I like to make an exit
One thing I do that I do not notice others doing is that I try to make a flashy departure by using a skill when I disappear from others’ screens due to my waypointing/logging:

Ooh, yeah! I used to do that in GW1. Now I’m gonna have to start Overloading Fire on my Tempest just before I exit. You just made me that much weirder.

(edited by Hamfast.8719)

Posted by: Zicarous.2134

Zicarous.2134

After playing gw1 for so long i just jump everywhere i go

Posted by: Silberfederling.9302

Silberfederling.9302

Playing wvw, building guild jps to fluff off my guys, having fun exploring hot zones (yeah i know right?), organizing hide and seek for gold with the guild, decorating the guild Hall in an extremely immature way (dear Anet thank you for the gerunt? Eyes and the pink crystal rods), building annoyingly 3 dimensional guild arenas, building annoyingly overloaden guild arena trap courses(or is it parcours), and finally enjoying my guild having to go through those with a manic giggle.

To who may care, if you have gilded hollow gh, build a JP out of the cave, then higher than the tree, and cast ele fire staff 5

(edited by Silberfederling.9302)

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I play only maxed size characters, preferably Norns, though I have 2 maxed sized charr a couple of humans and a tree of sylvari….

BUT I deleted ALL asura…. I prefer being a Bookah then having to deal with the horrid mini Guinea Pigs with attitude… I have a mild tolerance to Taimi, Zojja and some other Asura, but in general I tend to avoid Metrica province AND Rata Sum. (nowadays I ignore the part in the map only unlocking the Thaumanova reactor….)

I love Skirtt I tend to avoid killling them unless absolutely neccesary. I wear Honorary Skritt with Pride and generally love them. Shinies!

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

when im undercutting people on the trading post i normally do it to whatever the next lowest 69 value it is and if its not too much of a loss i do it in silver as well as copper

when im playing my engi and for whatever reason i am waiting with other people for something i shoot them with my “glue” shot

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

When I use greatsword in pvp I like to mind stab the gate when the start timer hits zero.

I avoid killing rabbits – I like rabbits.

I like to jump dodge over a cliff before hitting the glider.

Hamfast.8719

Before the MegaServer (Grrrrr…!) I loved soloing Skill Challenges (now called Hero Challenges). Most were easy, but some could actually be a little challenging (hence the name, right?). I waited a long time sometimes to make sure nobody else was around so that I could “test my mettle” by myself. Conversely, I occasionally watch other players do them without interrupting them. If they look as if they may be in trouble, I may sometimes throw a heal their way, or revive them if necessary. But I let them kill the bad guy themselves.

Post-MegaServer I can almost never complete a challenge by myself. There are too many other players around that will jump in, and the “challenge” part goes out the window. Am I really weird to want to be challenged, and to respect other players opportunity to be challenged?

Posted by: setius.3498

setius.3498

I do the jumping through portal to thing too!:D
Also I HAVE to jump off the cliff before I glide, no falling down there I gotta jump
Sometimes I like to not open the glider before shortly before I hit the ground
And I gotta log out my toons in cities too, ad it feels like I’m really done with the game by then (by clearing inventory etc..) when I’m satisfied, then I log out

Posted by: Gendou.9620

Gendou.9620

I shoot and bark at things that aren’t there ( but I believe there is something there — WOOF)

Posted by: meissa.4239

meissa.4239

if in a story instance where the group is all standing in a circle talking, i have to stand in the circle and be part of the group. also, sometimes ill dance during serious scenes/discussions, just because.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see. Tyria needs me.” — Scarlet Briar

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

I tend to use tonics to go into dolyak form and eat omnomberry ghosts for the spectral effect. Then I RP-Walk around EBG and gather a following of friends and enemies alike until x roaming group decides to ruin it for everyone. I usually do this once every 2 weeks or so though I used to do it every day.

Ghost Yak

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

I love using my endless mystery tonic (beast) and either as the raptor or one of the birds. The raptor ends up huge and I’ll equip my birthday blaster…for some reason the image of this raptor holding this HUGE sparkly gun makes me laugh. And as for the birds, I’ll bomb drop cakes on people. I also like using the Princess Doll tonic and equip my broom…though I really wish the tonics could use the flying carpet. How I would love to be a kitty from the kitty tonic riding around on a magic carpet some days…

I do the soft landing bit too…usually I have Flight of the Valkyries in my head while I am doing it.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I like to AFK in cities while using the Exalted Bastion tonic and my pretty red balloon. Or I’ll use a Jackalope tonic, /sleep, and disturb people as they walk by a seemingly-dead Jackalope.

I also make my characters fight, run, and /dance to the music I’m listening to (outside of dungeons/fractals, of course).

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Gliding around in various tonic forms while holding a balloon or a kite. Currently a Quaggan holding a balloon is my favorite although I’m also partial to a gliding Exalted holding a kite.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I totally do the first thing you mentioned as well.

Although sometimes instead of doing a soft landing I’ll drop my glider a bit early for a dramatic “superhero pose” type fall. And when I do that I always make sure I’m 100% still do I get the full landing animation.

I kind of do the second as well, though its usually something more like using a leap skill through a portal than just jumping. Or sometimes dodge jumping.

As for others… hmmm…

When I buy stuff from the trading post, I almost always put my offer as a repeating number. So, like, 55g 55s 55c. Unless its going to cost me significantly more to do so.

I try to position myself so that the visual of my pick / axe matches up with the tree / ore when I’m harvesting. Also, if other people are around I’ll try not to stand on top of them while I’m harvesting and get annoyed if I’m already harvesting and someone comes and starts harvesting on top of me.

I manually sheath my weapons every time I get done with a fight. And every time I take fall damage. And when I’m running by an enemy I don’t intend to fight and get hit by a random attack. So pretty much any time I have my weapons drawn ankitten ot currently fighting.

(edited by Electro.4173)

Hamfast.8719

I manually sheath my weapons every time I get done with a fight. And every time I take fall damage. And when I’m running by an enemy I don’t intend to fight and get hit by a random attack. So pretty much any time I have my weapons drawn ankitten ot currently fighting.

Me too. Most Greatsword animations look especially horrid if running along with the weapon out.

ALSO:

• I have made over 31 thousand screen captures.
  • My Main character lugs around 11+ full sets of armor with matching weapons for “appropriate dress” in all of those screen caps. Most of my other toons have at least two full sets. (Don’t wanna look too under-dressed in the Shiverpeaks!)

Posted by: Sir Mad.1092

Sir Mad.1092

I do the portal jumping / perfect landing / walking to destination -errr… nodes – too.

Besides that… I guess I jump to much. I main a thief with Bound, and when I’m in a hurry and I wanna skip mobs, I can’t help but dodging onto them. And if I don’t 1 shot them (that only works in low level areas), I have to go back dodge onto them again to finish the job. Of course, that also means I almost never skips mobs, even when I want to…

Oh and I kill pigs, even though it’s my guild’s tag. Don’t ask me why, but if I see a pig, I must kill it. That works with cows and chickens too (which reminds me… I STRONGLY encourage you to try and kill the chickens in the Stronghold of Ebonhawke – be ready for a surprise).

(edited by Sir Mad.1092)

Posted by: Shriibot.4569

Shriibot.4569

I keep a single red iris flower on all of my characters. That GW1 nostalgia got me. xD

Gate of Madness Server [SC][RH][INK][PsQs]
| Xaija | Tipsqueak | Solena Snow |
—{“Optypical is my George Knightley.”}—

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

What’s so weird about you roleplaying?

I’ll tell you what’s weird: I’ve roleplayed two different characters from two different accounts having a conversation with each other once, just to get my foot in the roleplay doorway. :p

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

When I’m playing my Charr, I adopt a very surly attitude and talk to NPCs. Sometimes another player notices and gets involved and then we have fun with it.
I don’t do this, RPing, with any character but the Charr. It’s weird. Like I feel compelled to as the Charr.

Posted by: rotheche.2964

rotheche.2964

Also, I always have to JUMP through Asuran gates. This idiosyncrasy is due to the classic Star Trek episode “The City on the Edge of Forever”. The show features a device similar to the Asuran Gates, but due to poor set design the actors had to “hop” over a threshold to pass through. Hence, my characters have to hop through the gates. Is that weird?

I always knew I couldn’t be the only one!

Lilli Varss [OW]
Easily distracted mes—SQUIRREL!
GOM

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I always dance over my dead guildies before resurrecting them.

Whenever people are reunited waiting for something, I equip my flamethrower and began to quickly flame jet-jump-about face, filling the place with fire… just because.

I can’t talk into raid call or teamspeak unless is really really really needed. I prefer just to hear and type in party chat.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

Before logging off, I go to the closest house / camp / tent and type /sleep :P

Posted by: Akrib.4297

Akrib.4297

I always have to jump off every cliff or staircase I come across, for some reason just walking off feels wrong lol.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I instantly think less of all Charr characters. I think it’s partly ingrained GW1 bias against charr, and partly because charr tend to be first round race picks by irritating dudebro tryhards and whiny PvE commanders because I guess they look edgier than the other races.

If you play a Charr, I am sorry. I want to rise above this horrible racism, but I also am amused by it enough to actually enjoy it.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

I often buy two Total makeover kits because I end up failing/disliking the first look. I am a bit more careful now with the new NPC in Lions arch. (And the insane gem to gold ratio.)

Hamfast.8719

I often buy two Total makeover kits because I end up failing/disliking the first look. I am a bit more careful now with the new NPC in Lions arch. (And the insane gem to gold ratio.)

Yes… for some reason, you rarely wind up looking in-game the same way you do in the Kit preview – and it’s not just lighting. I toiled long and spent excessively getting all my characters just so.

If you are picky about the details, and have an extra character space, it’s cheaper to create a NEW character, recording your settings via screen capture along the way. Then when you’re satisfied you can go back and carefully recreate the result onto your existing character, matching up the screen caps of slider positions etc. Unfortunately, that doesn’t help with any of the new settings added later to the Kits.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Yes… for some reason, you rarely wind up looking in-game the same way you do in the Kit preview – and it’s not just lighting. I toiled long and spent excessively getting all my characters just so.

If you are picky about the details, and have an extra character space, it’s cheaper to create a NEW character, recording your settings via screen capture along the way. Then when you’re satisfied you can go back and carefully recreate the result onto your existing character, matching up the screen caps of slider positions etc. Unfortunately, that doesn’t help with any of the new settings added later to the Kits.

It also doesn’t help as much when using a kit if your screens are of original creation settings. The aspect ratio or something is different (certainly the position of hair/face options is changed by having a different number in the panel) so you will get something close to what you had but not exactly. The difference can be just enough to turn ruggedly handsome into thuggishly brutish.

Speaking of character creation, one of my oddities is that every character name I assign must be plausible in game lore, must sound “real,” like something the character’s parents would have named them or a sobriquet gained through events in life. And it can’t have any special accents or other hard to type elements. If I do a joke name I twist it tremendously to sound real if it isn’t carefully examined.

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

Right, I totally forgot about my ‘weapon behaviour’. There were two buttons I really hoped I can find in the options, which is toggle run/walk and draw/stow weapons. The ALT button is really often in use. Especially when one of my turret is engaging something, I also draw the weapons and I want to put them away ASAP.

I first had that in FF14 when you could literally count down the seconds after the last attack and all people of an instance would stow their weapon(s) at the same time. It looked and sounded ridiculous.

As Engineer, my character is not supposed to be the “hurr durr look at my big weapon” sort of dude. He’s a gentleman Asura and only draws his weapon when you’re looking for mad beef with me.

Especially since smaller pistols are almost hidden/clipping right into my beloved Noble Armour set, it looks nice for an Engineer when he’s pulling out his weapons from his trench coat – and stow them back away when the opponent’s dead.

Another thing I realized is that I try watch enemies die in my “rear mirror” (I put in on the V button). Trying to predict if he/she/it will die from my attacks and condition damage and then watch my foe die while I walk away. Lately I fail by some HP and have to shoot he/she/it point-blanc…

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”

Posted by: chefdiablo.6791

chefdiablo.6791

I do that soft landing thing while gliding, but I try to land on saplings. After you chop them down it looks like you are hovering. I worry that someone will report me for hacking because of it though.

I front flip often over cliffs and objects by pressing jump and dodge at the same time. Due to my key binds this sometimes ends with a heal also because my middle mouse button has three possible clicks, left, right, and center. I usually hit the left click right after the center and space bar together. It looks like I am cheering my landing.

I don’t like to kill bear cubs or wolf cubs etc. It seems wrong and I try to avoid it. Oddly enough, any white named critter is fair game.