What achievement?

What achievement?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lost Dragons Tail.3760

Lost Dragons Tail.3760

Warning this is a bit of a complaining thread (You have been warned)
I don’t post much if anything on these threads, because I am what one in millions of people that play the game and it seems that my wants never, ever go along with the crowd. Like the achievement idea. I never like it in gw1 and I still tend to avoid it in gw2 but yet it seems that anet and everyone in the game seems to think it is so important.
Now the mastery points are tied to them and I had to do achievements in central tyria just to get some of the mastery points needed. And I will never get the rest because it requires achievements in areas I don’t want to redo or don’t have a desire to even try them.
Is it so hard to find some events or activity in the general pve area to get them? I don’t know maybe something like the guild rushes, but one just for mastery points. I got the game to kill npc’s and gain neat skills not worry about some title I will never display. I know they now have instances for guilds to do other types of guild events so why can it be done so a group or even a single person can get some event to open to gain mastery points. Or even another idea would be to associate some mastery points with guilds so as to give more people reasons to be in a guild. Like spending so many commendations to gain a mastery point.
But as I have seen so many years in guild wars. I will not get my wish since that is not what the majority want. I have spent my rant. And will be surprised if the post doesn’t disappear. But at least I got my frustration out. And not off to Tyria a bit more now that I can see strait. Those undead wont kill themselves in orr.

What achievement?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It sounds like you just wanted to let off steam rather than ask for solutions, but here’s my thoughts anyway.

I don’t like achievements either. I thought they were a stupid idea when I first heard about them – an easy way to give Xbox players something even more arbitrary to brag about and I was genuinely surprised to see them catch on in so many games, especially RPGs which IMO already had a perfectly good quest system to cover any useful purpose achievements could have.

I still don’t particularly like them, I have no interest in collecting achievement points in any game and I’m not going to do something just because there’s an achievement for it. But I also don’t think it’s worth refusing to do something simply because there’s an achievement for it. Especially when in some games, GW2 included, that would make it impossible to play at all.

Based on that I think one thing that might help you is to try and shift how you’re thinking about it. Forget about the fact that mastery points are linked to achievements and just think of it as a checklist of things you can do to get mastery points. Like going on the wiki to find out which bosses have the elite skill you want in GW1, but in-game.

As for the actual activities involved I think the idea is they didn’t want people to be able to grind mastery points by doing just one thing over and over again. Partially because it’s supposed to be a long-term progression thing and partially because they don’t seem to like that design in general. So I think it’s highly unlikely they would make it possible to get them all through guild missions, or any other single activity. (In spite of the fact that in this case you actually seem to agree with the majority – who mainly way to complete masteries quickly and easily.)

But I’m pretty sure there are more mastery points available than you need, especially if you’re not worried about maxing out every single mastery, so it should be possible to choose the activities you like most (or hate least) to get them from and avoid things you really dislike doing.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

What achievement?

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

I’m with you both. Achievements are…well…I saw a meme a few years ago that showed a picture of achievements in WoW with the caption:

“Achievements! When you have nothing going on in your real life”

Or something like that.

What achievement?

Posted by: Lost Dragons Tail.3760

Lost Dragons Tail.3760

Danikat I am sure I just miss typed that about not doing something because it was an achievement because that is not the case. I won’t be getting any of the other mastery points in central tyria because the achievements that have the mastery points are ones I have tried and failed multiple times on. So it is more I just simply gave up on a grind I may never be able to accomplish. Quite a few of the mastery points are in achievements in the living story and I get so kittened off having to wait for npcs to either move or stop talking that I am so kittened off by the time I need to do the achievement that I can’t concentrate enough to accomplish it and just want out of the instance. If there was a way to skip the prattle in the story instances I probably could accomplish them. I know it is just a personal problem of mine.
And I have gotten all the mastery points I am able to in central tyria and still am unable to do more then just lvl one on fractal masteries. The other two are maxed out as you figured.