What am I to do with unuseable birthday dyes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: JaNordy.6149

JaNordy.6149

I cannot use my first few birthday gifts at all. What am I supposed to do with my birthday gifts when I have all dyes unlocked but most recent ones? Every single dye is account bound even the basic ones. Can we get a way to select newer dye kits? Really need a mod/dev to address this issue as its gonna be more of a problem as time goes on for everyone.

Attachments:

Posted by: Glacial.9516

Glacial.9516

Not the best solution (nor even a good one) but you may be able to salvage the dyes into pigments? However I’m not sure that rarer dyes give more pigments.

Edit: According to a reddit post, it does seem like rarer dyes salvage into more pigments.

fine 3,918 dyes = 11,838 pigments = 3.0214 each
masterwork 2,422 dyes = 15,712 pigments = 6.487 each
rare 487 dyes = 5,060 pigments = 10.39 each

(edited by Glacial.9516)

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Salvage is the way really. And yeah rare dyes do give more pigments, albeit it not hugely significant imo.

I mean, someone could have all the dyes unlocked. Should they just make more because you have them all?

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

What you should do is remember how much more time you got to enjoy using those dyes than most of the community.

I invested heavily into Gem Store Exclusive colors until birthday #3 and, like you, ended up without being able to use any of the kits (in any sort of way that held meaning for me). Since then, I’ve stopped trying to acquire all the colors, spending now on either the most economical or the most coveted. Despite that, I’ll shortly end up with duplicate Jubilant kits; in about a year, I’ll have too many Exuberants, too.

If you’re desperate to save the space or get some value out of them, choose any rare Yellow or Red dye and salvage — those have the highest values of pigment at the moment.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

Not the best solution (nor even a good one) but you may be able to salvage the dyes into pigments? However I’m not sure that rarer dyes give more pigments.

Edit: According to a reddit post, it does seem like rarer dyes salvage into more pigments.

fine 3,918 dyes = 11,838 pigments = 3.0214 each
masterwork 2,422 dyes = 15,712 pigments = 6.487 each
rare 487 dyes = 5,060 pigments = 10.39 each

This is true. I have almost all dyes unlocked and when I get account bound duplicates, I just salvage them. I notice the rarer the dye, the more pigment I get when salvaged.

I don’t know if it is the same one but I read on a reddit post that the better the salvage kit you use on those rare dyes, the more pigment you get as well. I cannot vouch for this.

Posted by: SpudBob.9036

SpudBob.9036

Arenanet thank you for an awesome 5 years! Loving the new anniversary skins!

I have the same problem with the 2-week passes… they only included the three that I already purchased through the Gem store, but none of the others.

They really need to make the Dye’s obtained through the birthday gifts Saleable, which would only be good for the inflated dye economy, and add all the other dye packs and pass locations when doing items like this in birthday gifts.

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

I have found when dyes are not selling for the right price and I do not wish to invest any more into them to just sell the one I have . I found salvage is a good easy way and then when they get too much sell them or if I am able to use them for crafting is also another choice

no new system upgrades coming

Posted by: Kruhljak.2705

Kruhljak.2705

They really need to make the Dye’s obtained through the birthday gifts Saleable, which would only be good for the inflated dye economy, and add all the other dye packs and pass locations when doing items like this in birthday gifts.

You do realize you’re suggesting they make rare dyes that are sold via gems (and hopefully bought with real money) in dye packs that are essentially RNG boxes, functionally cheaper to get on the TP for fantasy money than via the dye packs for gems?

I squint at you and repeat, “do you realize what you’re suggesting!?” ;-)

To be fair, I am quite thankful and impressed, really, that they are giving the rare dyes out to players as birthday gifts, for free, at all. So, my snarkiness is more tongue-in-cheek than true sarcasm.

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

Not sure if this works with Account Bound(or exclusive) dyes, but do try.
Mystic Forge 4 of them and get another dye. No, you will not get any exclusive dyes out of it, but you will get a random rare dye, which wont be account bound(and can be sold or given to friends).

JaNordy.6149

So all I can do is salvage them for a few silver worth of pigments, thats awful and this should be addressed as these birthday dyes are supposed to be the “big” gift. Just because someone has certain dyes unlocked shouldnt mean they get practically nothing. It would be better to never salvage them and hope anet does something in future.

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

So all I can do is salvage them for a few silver worth of pigments, thats awful and this should be addressed as these birthday dyes are supposed to be the “big” gift. Just because someone has certain dyes unlocked shouldnt mean they get practically nothing. It would be better to never salvage them and hope anet does something in future.

Good luck with that.

I had the same issue last year ( i had bought all colors ) and and still the “gift” is the same.

But remember, it’s a birthday gift, so deal with it.
If you already have everything, you can trash or stash it.

Posted by: Bazompora.2635

Bazompora.2635

Can you not also combine 4 of them into a possibly unbound dye in the Mystic Forge?

Elonians who know her history are often proud to have one of their own in the pantheon.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Do you complain to friends and family who give you things you already have or don’t want for birthday or whatever holiday it is for?

Or do you remember with them that it is the thought that counts?

It’s a gift. Not a reward. Not something given for buying gems. A gift.

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

You’re pretty much out of luck if you collected dyes in regard to the birthday gift. At least they’ve added some other stuff like the backpacks and weapon skins. I collected all the dyes up until Jormag, after last year having everything and getting nothing from the birthday gifts and figuring I’d pick up the last few at least. But with that out, I’ll just wait until next year. The current ~1500 gold expenditure with the possibility they’ll do what they did with the shadow dyes and put them in the gem store for forever and a day at some point kind of takes the fun out of collecting things. I get the “you got to enjoy them longer” thing, but it was only 4 months for one of the kits this year, and I think last year it was about a month between one of the kits being released and it being included. That’s not a lot of benefit for buying compared to getting them for free.

Posted by: Alin.2468

Alin.2468

Birthday gifts are a bonus. It is not ArenaNet fault that you, as a player, have all dyes and you do not miss anything in your account.

This game is made for the hard gamer and casuals too. I am a casual player, and I try to obtain only what a like. For me the new anniversary gift did not provide something I wanted, but I still managed to find a dye that I like a bit, so it’s a nice bonus.

In the end this is just a bonus, and from the bottom of my heart I thank ArenaNet for it. It shows that ArenaNet values me as an old player and thinks about me.

Thank you ArenaNet, and Happy Birthday for your 5 years of entertainment of Guild Wars 2 game!

This is the best elementalist build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh5zjK7ITpQ

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

You do realize you’re suggesting they make rare dyes that are sold via gems (and hopefully bought with real money) in dye packs that are essentially RNG boxes, functionally cheaper to get on the TP for fantasy money than via the dye packs for gems?

I squint at you and repeat, “do you realize what you’re suggesting!?” ;-)

To be fair, I am quite thankful and impressed, really, that they are giving the rare dyes out to players as birthday gifts, for free, at all. So, my snarkiness is more tongue-in-cheek than true sarcasm.

Not only this, but there are a lot of players that have huge numbers of characters. They could not only make quite a lot of gold selling their birthday dyes, but could greatly affect the market. I understand why Anet doesn’t allow you to sell certain birthday gifts even though I also would prefer not to get duplicates. But at least you can salvage dyes.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Bazompora.2635

Bazompora.2635

C’mon, guys!
No need to turn this celebratory event into a punishment for the OP,
who after all sounds like a big supporter of Arenanet.

All he asked for, was a way to enjoy a thank you from Arenanet just like everyone else.

Elonians who know her history are often proud to have one of their own in the pantheon.

Posted by: Pi Slinger.5801

Pi Slinger.5801

My army of Queen Jennahs recommend not getting hung up over the early anniversary gifts giving you things you already have.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

What do you guys think about forging them?

Assuming they can be put into the Mystic Forge…

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: qbalrog.8017

qbalrog.8017

Forging them would be great- I don’t mind holding on to a few until I can forge them. If they aren’t currently forge-able, can you look into that?

Thanks!

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

Honestly I’d prefer a vendor – turn in X number of kits and buy a specific dye. I have 33 of the first kits, 19 of the second and 2 of the third so far and 6 dyes from a single kit that I don’t have. Depending on how the forging would work, most likely I’d be somewhere between throwing them away and it not being significant compared to actually picking dyes I’d want, but it would work better for others at least.

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

this right here PLEASE ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Honestly I’d prefer a vendor – turn in X number of kits and buy a specific dye. I have 33 of the first kits, 19 of the second and 2 of the third so far and 6 dyes from a single kit that I don’t have. Depending on how the forging would work, most likely I’d be somewhere between throwing them away and it not being significant compared to actually picking dyes I’d want, but it would work better for others at least.

I do not anticipate that the developers are considering adding another vendor for this once-a-year item. I was looking at the options that we currently have at hand. I’m most interested in learning if the items can be put into the Mystic Forge. I have so many characters on so many accounts, I have to figure out who would be eligible for the birthday gift today.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Mazreal Blackknight.1564

Mazreal Blackknight.1564

Its hard to see such lovely dyes sitting in my bank, but I also have all of the dyes they offer. I would love to turn in X many dye kits for a (enter skin choices here) nothing crazy but something to let me have an option. But either way its nice of them to send us lovely gifts.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I do not anticipate that the developers are considering adding another vendor for this once-a-year item. I was looking at the options that we currently have at hand. I’m most interested in learning if the items can be put into the Mystic Forge. I have so many characters on so many accounts, I have to figure out who would be eligible for the birthday gift today.

The problem is, those who have almost are the dyes would not benefit from a mystic forge combine which would take 4 useless dyes and make 1 useless dye (from their perspective).

Perhaps “special” dyes or BL dyes or whatever they get categorised as can be salvaged for say 1-3 BL scraps as well as pigments.

Personally I’d have thought the easiest solution would be to unbind the dyes so they can be traded or given away to friends.

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

The problem is, those who have almost are the dyes would not benefit from a mystic forge combine which would take 4 useless dyes and make 1 useless dye (from their perspective).

but how do we know this is what is going to happen should drevs do this .? they could always come up with something new on this topic . say like put 3 dyes into 3 slots with a forge stone. and make a really rare dye out of it . or turn it into a new item even ?

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

How about this for a recipe:

1 common dye
250 minor runes or sigils
1 pigment of the desired color
1 mystic crystal

Result is 5 pigments of the desired color
—————
1 uncommon dye
1 mystic crystal

Result is 10 pigments of the desired color
—————
1 rare dye
1 mystic crystal
Result is 50 pigments of the desired color

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

There exists a ‘Birthday Vendor’ in LA already. The developers could potentially explore the feasibility of giving that existing vendor additional functionality for those that cannot use the dye kits they receive. I have no suggestions on what equivalent ‘thing’ they could trade them for, but it’s an idea to look at.

If they went that route, maybe they could include a way to deal with the multitudes of Queen Jennah minis too.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

Gaile pls.

;)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Honestly, why just we don’t crack them into pigments.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

How about this for a recipe:

1 common dye
1 mystic crystal

Result is 5 pigments of the desired color
—————
1 uncommon dye
1 mystic crystal

Result is 10 pigments of the desired color
—————
1 rare dye
1 mystic crystal
Result is 50 pigments of the desired color

Pigments are only a few copper.
Selling 250 of the cheapest minor runes gives you about 30silver, the most expensive pigment is 2 silver

Seera.5916

There exists a ‘Birthday Vendor’ in LA already. The developers could potentially explore the feasibility of giving that existing vendor additional functionality for those that cannot use the dye kits they receive. I have no suggestions on what equivalent ‘thing’ they could trade them for, but it’s an idea to look at.

If they went that route, maybe they could include a way to deal with the multitudes of Queen Jennah minis too.

Guaranteed wardrobe unlock? That way it turns from something account bound to something account bound. And it’s an account unlock like dyes are. And you turn in the dye kit since those are unique to the birthday. That way players can’t just cheaply buy their way through the guaranteed wardrobe unlocks.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Guaranteed wardrobe unlock? That way it turns from something account bound to something account bound. And it’s an account unlock like dyes are. And you turn in the dye kit since those are unique to the birthday. That way players can’t just cheaply buy their way through the guaranteed wardrobe unlocks.

That’s not a bad thought, imo.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

JaNordy.6149

It would be easiest to simply add to the birthday vendor a option for unused birthday dyes (and mini queen jennas) to trade for something else. Option for newer dyes would be nice.

Posted by: Dreamslayer.7659

Dreamslayer.7659

Gaile, I have a huge stack of these because I’ve maintained 100% dye unlock for several years.

I get that letting people select a specific dye and then selling it would distort the market, but how about an option for a random, non account bound dye from the list or even from the palette (which would include the cheap dyes) so it works like the gem store dye packs.

I wouldn’t mind forging them but I think you guys should make the special dyes become exotic tier which would basically let us recycle 4 “fancy” account bound dyes for a guaranteed “fancy” dye.

One of the worst things about this situation is what happened with the ascended rings and undesirable ascended gear drops before ascended salvage and ascended stat changes.

People figured that stuff would never have any use so they deleted their rings or sold them to vendors. Then later on, those of us who saved them were rewarded.

I don’t really want to salvage or forge my birthday dyes because I think you need a better solution.

By the way, it’s the same with the currently useless luck essences. More and more people have maxed out their Magic Find, but luck continues to drop and there is virtually no sink or use for it. So it clogs up our banks while we wait – knowing that the week after we give up and delete it, you’ll come out with some new recipes or a vendor or a luck eater, etc.

I don’t care that much what you guys do in these cases, but I’d like you to do something so people can disposition their currently useless goods with confidence.

(edited by Dreamslayer.7659)

Posted by: crashburntoo.7431

crashburntoo.7431

Mystic Forge could be fun…

1 Dye Kit + 3 Jennah’s = Random Mini Unlock
1 Dye Kit + 1 Jennah + X Mystic Coin (or Stone) = Random Wardrobe Unlock

Chews up the dye kits and Jennah’s that are and will continue to accumulate. For people like me, who are only accumulating Jennah’s, perhaps a 4 Jennah’s exchange for a limited unlock (rarity based).

Empty Mystic Forge positions could be filled with sigils or runes, just to get rid of them too. We could come up with a lot of possible combinations but balancing investment, disposal and reward is the tough part.

Guild: From the Ashes Risen [FENX]
Server: Tarnished Coast

Seera.5916

Mystic Forge could be fun…

1 Dye Kit + 3 Jennah’s = Random Mini Unlock
1 Dye Kit + 1 Jennah + X Mystic Coin (or Stone) = Random Wardrobe Unlock

Chews up the dye kits and Jennah’s that are and will continue to accumulate. For people like me, who are only accumulating Jennah’s, perhaps a 4 Jennah’s exchange for a limited unlock (rarity based).

Empty Mystic Forge positions could be filled with sigils or runes, just to get rid of them too. We could come up with a lot of possible combinations but balancing investment, disposal and reward is the tough part.

Requiring Jennah’s only works for players who continually make characters that last for at least 365 days. Which isn’t a majority of players.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Getting a dye worth few silver out of dyes whose worth can go into hundreds of gold is… well, a really underwhelming solution.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

Forging them into what exactly? Another rare dye? If so, that wouldn’t help the folks that already have collected all the rare colors — unless those forged colors could be sold, but then you would still need four rare dyes, so people would either have to collect the account-bound ones or buy three additional cheaper rare ones.

I don’t know, that doesn’t sound good either way. I’d rather have them not be account-bound to begin with.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

In which very wealthy players complain their completely free gift they did nothing to earn isn’t worth as much to then as it is to a normal player…

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

Forging them into what exactly? Another rare dye? If so, that wouldn’t help the folks that already have collected all the rare colors — unless those forged colors could be sold, but then you would still need four rare dyes, so people would either have to collect the account-bound ones or buy three additional cheaper rare ones.

I don’t know, that doesn’t sound good either way. I’d rather have them not be account-bound to begin with.

it would fully help folks with this problem . as anet can make a new rare dye and does not matter what they toss in the forge dye wise . it will unlock it which anet can do that very easy

account-bound far as dyes goes it not that big of a problem to fix. that is why the anet gods made salvage kits

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

So there are some folks with 70 characters. They’d never spend gems on dye kits, they’ll never need to spend gold on dyes on the TP, and they’re going to get a choice of dyes that they can sell on the TP at premium prices.

There’s a balance — it’s virtually impossible to have a gift that is equally or even comparably valuable to everyone. Folks who collect dyes have had two years to prepare for the likelihood that the 5th year would also include newer, gem-shop dyes. In the meantime, they’ve gotten a lot of time to enjoy those dyes already, without waiting.

So it really comes down to a philosophy: does ANet balance so things are fair for the vast majority of players? Or so that they are fair for the minority that (like me) are impatient to get their hands on new colors?

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Bunter.3795

Bunter.3795

One possible solution would be a vendor (I know that Gaile said they probably don’t want to add another vendor but maybe a tab to the one birthday vendor we do have in LA) that would allow you to trade these account bound dyes for guaranteed wardrobe unlocks. This would keep those with multiple extra dyes from affecting the market yet at least allow them something gainful to get from a birthday gift.

Seera.5916

One possible solution would be a vendor (I know that Gaile said they probably don’t want to add another vendor but maybe a tab to the one birthday vendor we do have in LA) that would allow you to trade these account bound dyes for guaranteed wardrobe unlocks. This would keep those with multiple extra dyes from affecting the market yet at least allow them something gainful to get from a birthday gift.

Yea, that was my suggestion above as well.

It wouldn’t actually need a vendor. Just add it to the list of options. So when you double click on the dye pack, you see a list of dye kits and at the bottom is the Guaranteed Wardrobe unlock.

This even helps players who haven’t unlocked all of the dyes as they can choose to gamble for a high priced skin unlock, if they would prefer that over another dye.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

What people still save their queen jenna’s I thought those extra ones got deleted years ago.

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

If you have ALL of the colors already, you’re stuck. But, if you have any of the exclusive ones still to get, make a list of them, and choose one you don’t have.