What are your feels of having a Healing Role?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

What are your feelings of having a dedicated healing role in GW2, once again like GW1 and other trinity games have it?

Whats your opinion on Healing role?

Explain why you hate the healing role?

===============
From what I read so far against Healing role, usually the argument is that people dont like waiting for healers for group play.

well thats not really fault of the Role itself, but the community in the game. So I never really saw that as a reason to hate the role and eliminate it, when it was never bad. just the community was.

Also since Dungeons and Events in GW2 can be done without it, I dont see the harm of having a dedicated healing role. Also would be great for WvW to counter zerg’s anti-melee design.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Healers carry bad players.
/the end

Actually, there are many professions that can create support builds. It’s much more balanced than having a healer and more players prefer to play that way (evidenced by all the waiting everyone has to do for healers in other games).

Posted by: Farran.3607

Farran.3607

Hate a pure healer role because of how BORING it is. You sit around and do nothing but heal. Played TERA, rolled a Priest, people attack me if I actually try and attack mobs because omg don’t draw aggro heal us plz.

With my Guardian, I can take a support role by providing buffs, rez downed players while taking less damage, and mitigate damage with aoe heals, all while still being able to attack and be a part of the team. Also, I CAN SOLO. Pure healer classes suck at that. I tried soloing a BAM as a Priest in TERA, able to do it, but took friggin forever because of my crappy damage. My support Guardian can still deal respectable damage to any mobs.

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

I’ve played a healer in every game I’ve played over the last 13 years.

Not because it’s my first choice. Usually because my guild needed it.

I often played a healer on my 2nd PC, manually, reaching over and hitting buttons, moving as I needed ….usually while I was main tanking…. and/or raid leading.

I’ve played a healer along with two other characters at the same timemanually …. while main tanking… and/or raid leading.. and providing a damage class. Ditto for off-tanking in raids.

I’ve played a healer for 5-man instances (doing them with 4) through several games. I was usually knitting at the time.

The only time, I’ve played ONLY the healer was when healing another main tank in raid instances. Most of those were engaging enough to require my attention. Mostly.

Particularly if it was a main tank I didn’t know.

I like doing group support. Don’t get me wrong. I also happen to like tanking (melee) and doing damage (both ranged and melee).

GW2 is the first game that lets me do all 3 at once, contributing to a group, without having to swap gear or shape shift, or hit like a pansy.

RIFT came close with the Chloromancer. Close. That was only one class. I guess I should throw the Cleric in there as well. Ok. Two. Oh, and toss in the Archmage from Warhammer Online which I used for pvp. Weird weaving mechanics.

GW2 offers more variety.

And I’m not knitting.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

I don’t hate tank and healer, whats the complain for somebody devote themselves entirely to support teammates?

My only issue is if combat is based around tank and healer, where tank and healer become a must have vs all harder encounter. As long as tank and healer remain a player’s choice rather than a party requirement i am all good.

The current game issue is not about missing build diversity, its because there are not enough encounters that favor support builds. But TEQ is a good start, already see more support and tanky builds appeared.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

My feelings:

lf1m monk
lf1m monk
lf1m monk
lf1m monk
> takes monk henchmen.

Dungeon finder in <other game>
Estimated time before dungeon: 1 hour 54 minutes
> Switches to healer > Estimate time before dungeon: 5 seconds

No … not interested. I hated that.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: bewhatever.2390

bewhatever.2390

DAoC, 10 years ago, RvR tactics: take down the healers first.

Because there’s a WvWvW game, I think distributing the healing and not making it obvious who to take down first was a good idea.

In 5-player dungeon PvE, I’d play a healer again. Against dumb AI. But not against smart players like we have in GW2.

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

Healer role promotes lazy play, so no, let players fend for themselves like they have to currently.

What do you actually gain from having healers besides the fact that people who can’t think of any roles in the game will now have one clearly defined for them by the game mechanics?

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

No.

Posted by: Happyfool.8951

Happyfool.8951

No, no no no no no nononononononononononononononononon

Seriosuly, having no defined roles is what made me pick up GW2.

We all do as we must to make our way in this world and unfortunately,
we have to do things others may qualify as “evil”.
~Krunch Bloodrage, Looking For Group

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

The problem is not roles, it’s numbers.

- berserker outranks anything else in terms of pure DPS.

- mobs hit so hard and can take so much damage that anything defensive is a waste of time in a double sense vs going zerker.

- that certain things can’t be critted is not a fix, it is lazy design.

What this game needs is not so much roles are a numerical balance in PVE. In SPVP said balance is present, as the health pools are more in line with each other and you actually have a effective tradeoff between DPS and survivability.

ANet really seems to have built the combat mechanics around SPVP, and then shoehorned a PVE world on top using their server hardware budget as a guide. Meaning that all the insanity we see in PVE (fat mobs, object bosses, condition limits) are because of server hardware (CPU, RAM) constraints.

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

A ‘pure’ role, ala holy trinity, is something to avoid in this game. I feel every class ought to be a mix of roles, with some emphasis on one of said role. That said, I really don’t mind having a build that has strong healing, so long as it isnt a “sit still and heal A LOT OF HP and do nothing else”.

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

One of my two characters from GW1 was a Monk, and loved running heals for SC’s and RA. I miss playing pure support, but I don’t think it’d be that great in GW2. But, I do feel Healing Power could scale a tad bit better.

**Tad meaning a bit better. Not: “OMFG, I’M JESUS IN THIS GAME!!?!?! WORD OF HEALING AIN’T GOT NOTHING ON ME!”

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I do miss my monk from GW1… “Oh were you trying to cap that shrine? Sorry about your luck buddy!” Good times…good times…. running around like my hair was on fire (sometimes I think it might actually have been)

Still, I don’t think that “role” fits into this game’s set up. It would definitely ‘break’ too much, imo.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: ElenaDragon.8401

ElenaDragon.8401

I’ve played a healer in every game I’ve played over the last 13 years.

Not because it’s my first choice. Usually because my guild needed it.

I often played a healer on my 2nd PC, manually, reaching over and hitting buttons, moving as I needed ….usually while I was main tanking…. and/or raid leading.

I’ve played a healer along with two other characters at the same timemanually …. while main tanking… and/or raid leading.. and providing a damage class. Ditto for off-tanking in raids.

I’ve played a healer for 5-man instances (doing them with 4) through several games. I was usually knitting at the time.

The only time, I’ve played ONLY the healer was when healing another main tank in raid instances. Most of those were engaging enough to require my attention. Mostly.

Particularly if it was a main tank I didn’t know.

I like doing group support. Don’t get me wrong. I also happen to like tanking (melee) and doing damage (both ranged and melee).

GW2 is the first game that lets me do all 3 at once, contributing to a group, without having to swap gear or shape shift, or hit like a pansy.

RIFT came close with the Chloromancer. Close. That was only one class. I guess I should throw the Cleric in there as well. Ok. Two. Oh, and toss in the Archmage from Warhammer Online which I used for pvp. Weird weaving mechanics.

GW2 offers more variety.

And I’m not knitting.

<3 this post, especially the parts about the knitting. I only knit while waiting for an event, like Tequatl.

Posted by: Coffee.7058

Coffee.7058

What are your feelings of having a dedicated healing role in GW2, once again like GW1 and other trinity games have it?

===============
From what I read so far against Healing role, usually the argument is that people dont like waiting for healers for group play.

well thats not really fault of the Role itself, but the community in the game. So I never really saw that as a reason to hate the role and eliminate it, when it was never bad. just the community was.

Also since Dungeons and Events in GW2 can be done without it, I dont see the harm of having a dedicated healing role. Also would be great for WvW to counter zerg’s anti-melee design.

In a real MMO you HAVE to have meta or you will have chaos. Look at every MMO that was a BIG success. They all had at the very least a need for heals.

The biggest thing that turned me off to gw II was the lack of a gear grind and no meta. I still purchased the game as I knew I would find some fun in it till the next MMO that did have what I enjoy (wildstar).

GW II is everything a casual could want — even a forum to cry on.

Team Peenk

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

There is a meta. It’s called “take what classes are needed”. So in dungeons this can mean something like 1 ele, 1 thief, 1 guard, 1 war, 1 ranger.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: sinzer.4018

sinzer.4018

I don’t want a healer role i want complex and unpredictable AI so that people might think of taking something other than full on damage.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I don’t want a healer role i want complex and unpredictable AI so that people might think of taking something other than full on damage.

This, however I wouldn’t be opposed to some truly active healing play. Age of Conan had a LOT of problems, but one thing they did pretty well was the healing. In particular the Bear Shaman class was a lot like GW2’s guardian, but where guardians have bubbles and passive aegis, the bear shaman had melee combos that AoE healed if you successfully hit, and short range cone heals. I get a lot of satisfaction out of dropping a clutch shadow refuge midfight and ressing a downed guy, or hitting a clutch blind to save someone on my thief. In contrast my guardian just sort of fights and awesome support just sort of happens without trying. In both cases my support was there to fix a problem, but it was never truly necessary.

Some forms of support should be necessary to encounter design, but at the same time you have to be careful to design that support so that it’s balanced, as GW2 is a game where you’re not meant to have to hunt for specific classes, which means each class needs to have the ability to slot in support that’s about as useful as every other class. Luckily it seems the next balance update is all about team support, which is a good step toward designing PvE that’s tough enough you need to use it.

Heck, I’d argue that while support is a viable and important role in GW2, it’s also way too passive and brainless. AoE buffs that you just toss around with the occasional timed bubble or wall or field. Aegis in particular is way too easy to use without even thinking about it against tough bosses/champs, while its sister condition blind is somehow deemed too OP to work in the same situation, and requires a good amount of timing to get anything useful out of.

I usually hate playing healers, but that AoC bear shaman class required a more active support playstyle than what you see in GW2, as it required you to kitten the situation around you and be engaged in active combat to use it properly. Mostly the cone heals and the opportunity cost of the melee ones. Shame they gutted the PvP and the itemization and balance were completely screwed up.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

There is a pure healer roll. Just because you still attack does not mean you are not a healer if that is how you’ve spec’d and play. I can make an engineer build that can AoE burst heal well over 8000 HP in under a second or one which can sustain heal 500-1000 hp per second. The difference is while no one needs that healing I am dealing damage.

Granted all classes can’t do that, some classes just flat out can’t heal, but they all can support in some way or another. And no matter how they support, dealing damage alongside everyone else is part of their roll.

A field medic not arming himself in combat doesn’t make him a better medic, it makes him an idiot. By fighting he could be preventing more injuries than he could possibly heal.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

digiowl.9620

That Bear Shaman sounds a bit like the Rift Chloromancer. It is their mage class’ only healer soul, and it do so by damaging mobs, and not in the necromantic life stealing way either.

It is defuffs that heal whoever damages the mob it is on, and auras that trigger a heal whenever the mage damages a mob. There are also some skills that trigger a bigger heal on a party member when the right aura is in play.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Honestly I’d like to see combos become more important to the overall tactical play of GW2. Combos were one of the things I was most excited to mess with early on, but when I got my hands on the game I realized that they were largely an afterthought.

Sure, they’re a nice bonus and can make you more effective when used properly, but my thinking was that they’d be a bit more central to the mechanics of group play, and that was how you’d get around the lack of trinity, as various combinations of classes would effectively field those trinity roles.

What about making combos a lot more important? What about some synchronized attack bonuses or using certain player skills as a moving combo field? IDK. Something.

For instance, let’s say that any of the abilities with a channeled block or spin made that character a “boost” field. This would function like a normal combo field, but in stead of being a big ground circle it would be just the general hitbox area of that character. Using a leap in to a boost field could double its range, using a projectile could split it or make it bounce, using an aoe on it could widen its area of effect, etc. That’s just one example, but the idea is to create deeper character-to-character interactions with powerful effects that require coordinated efforts by two or more parties, as the current combo fields don’t require much coordination at all, and as a result are often not all that powerful.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

As someone who exclusively has played healer classes in the past I was a bit disappointed at first with the lack of trinity. All of that disappeared once I actually started playing GW2 and realized that I’m significantly more versatile as a Guardian than I’ve ever been in a healer role.

It was always nice being able to join instance/raid groups instantly as a healer, but with the healer needs to come the tank and boy I don’t miss the days where I’m in an almost full party for over and hour waiting for a tank and then finally have everyone disband. Just no.

I like the GW2 approach, it’s refreshing.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Not entirely sure i like the tone of the OPs post but whatever

I don’t hate the healing role. In other games it when implemented properly it can be very fun to play . I played a rit in GW 1 and ran as a healer with it at times because I felt was better at rit healing than with my monk . Some GW 1 players may knock me for that but Rit healers and prot Rits were very effective when run properly . Heck even before i had my monk i ran as a high energy healer on my Ele with WoH. When it comes to GW2 however there is no need for a strictly Heal/Prot role as all classes are self sustaining . On top of this some classes can fill the support role very well while still dishing out damage like the Guardian or Ele making it even less of a need

Posted by: Mattargul.9235

Mattargul.9235

Having healers in the current PvE content (designed without specific healers) unbalances things. If ANet designs content to account for healers it then pretty much requires healers. Then we’re back to “lf1m – need healer then gtg”, and “dude, WTF, you’re on your DPS, get that kitten out of here and bring your heelzor NAOW!1!!”

Dances with Leaves – Guardian – Sanctum of Rall (SoR)

digiowl.9620

If we had the ability to save builds (preferably complete with gear) that would be a non-issue. That is, if the HP numbers mattered one kitten .

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

There a healing roll in the game what are you talking about hehe j/k but ya there is a support role in this game they “help” player live a bit longer but they do not keep them alive it makes the other player do more then just one thing. It pulls ppl out of being lazy when they play an mmorpg the “let some one else do it for you” way of playing mmorpg that we see in most of them.

You can heal in GW2 and you can be a healer but your going to need to do more then just heal to be worth any thing in a pt. You will have to support your team and not just fight health bars. There soo much more you can do when your looking to support a team vs just simply healing them.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Black Teagan.9215

Black Teagan.9215

Healers will destroy the game

Caleb Ferendir
-Charr Thief-
It’s good to be bad!

digiowl.9620

There a healing roll in the game what are you talking about hehe j/k but ya there is a support role in this game

Barely. Said support can be done while built for full on DPS, thanks to most of the support not scaling with anything. And the stuff that scale scale so poorly it is a waste of DPS to do so.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

There a healing roll in the game what are you talking about hehe j/k but ya there is a support role in this game

Barely. Said support can be done while built for full on DPS, thanks to most of the support not scaling with anything. And the stuff that scale scale so poorly it is a waste of DPS to do so.

So support is more then just healing that what i am trying to get at. You up ppl dps and up there ability to take hits or up there ability to avoid dmg “rolling.” With the coming update water burst are going to be weaker for ppl who do not have healing power but stronger for ppl who do have healing power. So being able to put down water fields and burst them will become keep for playing a support.
To get the full idea of scaling you cant look at just one ability you must look at the over all set of ability you have that uses healing power. So just going off one skill that 10% healing power effective is a bit wrong in that there are other ability that too are higher or lower getting from the same set. We have 3 main effects to look at the blunt heals (heal x hp when you use an ability) regeneration (a heal over time) and water field burst (where you do a burst combo finisher in a water field to do an aoe healing). So now these add up to make your healing power more effective.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

Staring at red bars for hours… So hardcore!

And funny!

And challenger!

And… and… oh nvm.

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Posted by: Alipius.4783

Alipius.4783

People that see heal as an interesting part of a gameplay : Gw1 players.
People arguing it would make harder to find a team : random MMO players…

Just because you only experienced boring healer roles doesn’t mean it can’t be more…
It depends on the gameplay (not only “+XXX Hp”… cf conditions, enchantments, hexes…)

There is one good thing about gw2. I play gw1 again.

digiowl.9620

We have 3 main effects to look at the blunt heals (heal x hp when you use an ability) regeneration (a heal over time) and water field burst (where you do a burst combo finisher in a water field to do an aoe healing). So now these add up to make your healing power more effective.

1. most of the non-6 skills of that kind do not scale beyond .5, if that (the .25 region is likely more common).

2. regeneration only stack in duration, and even with HP can’t keep up with most DPS in the game.

3. not everyone have direct access to water fields (most are in the hands of professions with already good HP scaling skills). And unless you are playing with a organized group using voice chat, timing combos are more luck than skill.

To be clear, i do not claim that the game need a dedicated healer role/class. But i find that outside of SPVP the numbers do not line up. In SPVP they kinda line up because there is a clear tradeoff between going DPS and alternatives.

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

I always thought the dedicated healer was the most experienced player in the dungeon simply because he or she ends up saving everyone else’s behinds.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Farran.3607

Just because you only experienced boring healer roles doesn’t mean it can’t be more…
It depends on the gameplay (not only “+XXX Hp”… cf conditions, enchantments, hexes…)

I was a hardcore GW1 player back in the day. First rolled necro, then warrior, then gravitated towards monk. I like healing things. I like being depended on. It was somewhat satisfying to see red bars go up and down.

But here’s the thing. In GW1 you had henchmen and heroes. You could solo things (in a sense) as a monk there. Many other MMOs with healer classes have to tough it out waiting for other players in group designed content. Also, though I liked to heal people, it got boring after a while. Watch the bar go down, heal. Oh hey, condition/hex, remove. Run around trying not to attack or get hit. This is why eventually my preferred profession was the Paragon. Lots of support capability, awesome, awesome effects (wings ftw) but yet I had some room for damage skills.

Now, other people have different opinions than me, but this is why I feel the Guardian is everything I could ask for as a support role in GW2. It’s basically the Paragon and Monk rolled into one. I can heal others, provide buffs, deal damage, and have awesome effects (blue fire wooo).

The real question is, where are my angel wings Anet?!

Posted by: Pip.2094

Pip.2094

No, because Guardians are harassed enough by all of the dreadful, bad (Bad zerker players, meant. Not all Zerkers are dumb or bad.) zerkers around who are unable to dodge a house in a boulevard and go “Guard heal party heal party noob ima zerk heal party”; if a healer profession was added, I wouldn’t want to be in its role for any reason in the world.
In this game, players have the great chance to dodge and avoid damage, + there are 2 great support professions who can provide a team of every needed boon to feel safe and sound.
Healer profession is not needed and would just turn the game in an even more zerker-or-nothing environment.

\||||||/
O°v°O

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

<loves playing supports when they aren’t “I sit back” snoozefests

Healing is the worst kind of supporting. It is mostly reactive rather then proactive, meaning that in general it has less player interaction then other methods of supporting. A strong, short lasting shield forces you to see what the enemy is doing and anticipate his big attack to get the most out of your class. So do a stun, a blind, the protection and aegis boons, the pushback from my 5th shield skill… I could go on. Direct healing on the other hand generally tends to translate into “I watch healthbars and icons and spam my healing skills without actually working with you”.

It’s also worth nothing that introducing strong direct healers transforms most of the PvP strategy into “focus the healer or die” and PvE content that is impossible without them (or trivial with them).

P.s. the community is bad for not liking a snoozefest classes. Allright.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Staring at bars all day and keeping them “clean”? No thanks. Waiting for a guild healer to get on or having to get on one myself to play now as opposed to waiting? No thanks.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I was a hardcore GW1 player back in the day. First rolled necro, then warrior, then gravitated towards monk. I like healing things. I like being depended on. It was somewhat satisfying to see red bars go up and down.

But here’s the thing. In GW1 you had henchmen and heroes. You could solo things (in a sense) as a monk there. Many other MMOs with healer classes have to tough it out waiting for other players in group designed content. Also, though I liked to heal people, it got boring after a while. Watch the bar go down, heal. Oh hey, condition/hex, remove. Run around trying not to attack or get hit. This is why eventually my preferred profession was the Paragon. Lots of support capability, awesome, awesome effects (wings ftw) but yet I had some room for damage skills.

Now, other people have different opinions than me, but this is why I feel the Guardian is everything I could ask for as a support role in GW2. It’s basically the Paragon and Monk rolled into one. I can heal others, provide buffs, deal damage, and have awesome effects (blue fire wooo).

The real question is, where are my angel wings Anet?!

Then at the other end of that is just having two healbot heroes so “LFG healer” wasn’t really necessary either. Worked for pretty much everything including hardmode. Maybe not in all instances of UW/FoW/DoA/etc.

Some of the other issues that exist in other games also do not apply in GW2. In another game, solo leveling a healer is about as fun as punching yourself in the face all day. Sure it’s a MMO so you shouldn’t be soloing but sometimes that isn’t an option. In GW2 that isn’t really a problem since you can respec relatively easily.

That blue flame is the least supportive thing the Guardian provides. It has probably killed more players than Risen Thralls.

Farran.3607

That blue flame is the least supportive thing the Guardian provides. It has probably killed more players than Risen Thralls.

But it supports my ego!

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

I can’t ever think of a time when I was waiting on a Monk in GW1 past 2006. Monks were everywhere for SC’s. Good tanks were the issue, along with T1’s and T2’s.

**Tanks were Assassins ( Thieves ) that balled enemies for the party to spike down. T1/T2’s were also Assassins that soloed some areas while the main team went through the rest.

Posted by: Pandabro.8743

Pandabro.8743

No I don’t miss pure healing roles.

I do miss having more roles that actually bring value than straight up DPS.

Guardians are currently the only ones that can offer substantial support to have another role other than DPS. Support in this game is just… sad. It’s hard to pin down exactly why (Probably a lot of reasons) but here’s a few ideas:

• Conditions being lackluster in PVE. They don’t really do jack.
  • Only might, aiges and fury do anything in PVE.
  • Control is almost completely nullified by Defiant and only reversed by adding in regular mobs to an encounter that actually have an effect.
  • Healing stat doesn’t scale with almost anything and when it does the scaling is so low that it’s worthless.
  • The roles system was rethought but the encounters are very standard MMO quality encounters (With exception of a few recent ones).

Among other reasons.

So overall there needs to be some substantial modifications to make the game around this system, not just throw the system in the same old MMO and hope it works.

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

It’s not good to need anyone of any specific role. That just makes putting together a party take longer.

Personally I don’t play a healer because in general in games the healer kinda just kicks back and watches hp bars while their friends get to interact with the foes.

As far as gw2 specifically there is no need for one. If you play well you should be able to dodge the large attacks and heal yourself for the rest (PvE). We don’t need a healer because we’re already part healer. They could add in some new encounters where having some one built for healing others is more beneficial than having another role, but as it is now avoidance is best.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

GW1 monks have got to be one of the hardest healing roles in PvP.

Watch for diversion, weapon swap for a quick WoH, hide energy from the Mesmer, swap to shield then quickly to prot staff for Guardian.

I remember doing all that, moving and learning to cancel skills when needed (like mid cast Diversion)

I miss it… but it’s not needed here. I like not being the pillow people fall to when they get hurt. GW2 offers me to support while helping DPS and it feels good to not “red bar” (although prot monks were more proactive)

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

You would have to rework all the dungeon encounters to make healers viable. You can heal plenty well in this game without them if you really wanted to (get a cleric engie and watch all the green pile up) but there’s really no point. You can dodge or negate most anything that could possibly kill you and if a boss really does pile up enough unavoidable damage to down someone, it’s easier to just DPS that boss down as quickly as possible and just res people when they drop (see e.g. Slave Driver, COE Champ Wolf, etc.)

It’s also a syndrome of not being able to target allies, which means heals are going to be melee range or PBAOE only, which in turn means effective healing is only going to work if the party stacks. And if you’re stacking, you’re better off bursting down targets before they can hurt you than trying to heal through damage, which is likely going to one-shot you anyway due to how hard most AOE in this game hits.

A better mechanic would be to make more efficient and useful NPCs that can actually offer healing, and design fight mechanics around that instead, so players do get some degree of healing and it becomes viable to add unavoidable damage mechanics without it becoming all-or-nothing. If the accompanying NPC healed the party for AOE 1k/s, and mobs hit zerkers for an unavoidable 2k/s, it might actually be valid to spec a bit of defense since now the zerkers can’t just count on being able to totally avoid all damage. It would also make healing/support builds more viable without making them totally necessary.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

===============

In a real MMO you HAVE to have meta or you will have chaos. Look at every MMO that was a BIG success. They all had at the very least a need for heals.

The biggest thing that turned me off to gw II was the lack of a gear grind and no meta. I still purchased the game as I knew I would find some fun in it till the next MMO that did have what I enjoy (wildstar).

You say that as if chaos were a bad thing. I love chaos. Even A.net described dungeons as organized chaos.

So no gear grind and no trinity are the 2 primary reasons why people play GW2 and you don’t like teh game because of it ….. maybe you’re playing the wrong game. Nothing wrong with that. If wildstar is more your thing, go play wildstar

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

Blasphemy, we need more 1hit KO boss attacks and an army of trash mobs that use the same predictable attacks over and over and over, and over, and over and over. Also, add more HP. I want to attack an elite for 5 minutes straight to get a white or possibly a blue item.

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

I was a Healer, and a darn good one. People who say it’s boring……RAN BORING BARS.

It’s a lot like Mesmers you see now…. compared to actual GOOD mesmers the way they used to be. And yes you had to be good on one just to not be kicked from Pugs. Now they spam clones and almost never time interrupts right….and then are praised b/c they just barely learned where to put a portal and when to drop a Timewarp. Pathetic. Most advance class my tookus.

All that said…… hell no, no required healer role. People may like the idea, they may even have some cases where it makes the class dynamics more meanginful and form tighter bonds in guilds. But at the end of the day, 90% of the player base does not ever WANT to play a full time healer. But not only that, a lot of them can’t even do it right….. (they load up a boring WOH bar or some equally unskilled PvX autopilot and still managed to fail hard anytime the frontliners needed conditions removed).

When you hear a lot of people talking about wanting healers back, it’s not typically great players actually wanting to play one full time again, it’s usually BAD players who “tanked” and felt important but never realized that they were being carried by a much better player healing them everytime they went full rekittin

(edited by ilr.9675)

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

I´d describe my feelings as utter disgust and horror.