What did you do while GW2 downloaded?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: VoidWhisperer.8635

VoidWhisperer.8635

I just personally bought GW2 today after re-opening trilogies and having some fun with it, but i’m bored of of my mind atm on the download which got to 30%, then my computer bsoded, and now it’s at 50% after starting from 0. I’m currently browsing reddit so i have something to do. What did you guys do when you were waiting for gw2 to download?

(I would be playing another game during the download but sadly 2 directx games at once (which apparently includes the download screen for gw2) = bsod on my alienware)

Posted by: gillius.2856

gillius.2856

play faster than light.. or dont starve and maybe even terraria… they are great time wasters and good fun at the same time

VoidWhisperer.8635

Does FTL use directx though? I’d hate to have to restart the gw2 download.. again..

Posted by: Lpfan.3578

Lpfan.3578

You think you’re bored? It took me 3 DAYS to download GW2! haha But I just… played other games, slept, went outside, ate, did stuff I’d normally do. During the last few hours I got more excited though, just had to play other games. Find something on a different system if you have one. Or a game on the computer that doesn’t take directx!

Luckily I had pre purchased GW2 and got a new computer about 3 days before head start weekend. So I was still logging in within 24 hours of launch!

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Can’t remember, I downloaded it for the 1st beta and have only had to patch it since.

I was probably reading a book though.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

VoidWhisperer.8635

Nice. :P It’s not that my internet is crap or my computer for that matter. It more falls under the fact that alienware seems to like letting ‘little bugs’ survive in their computers :/

Posted by: Tuluum.9638

Tuluum.9638

I went outside, watched some TV, played with my dogs, spent some time with the family, and played some other games.

I think I ate somewhere in there too.

Henosis [ONE]
06-04-13
NEVER FORGET

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Mine took 3 days or so to download. I sat there unmoving the whole time.

VoidWhisperer.8635

It sounds like you lead a very interesting life.

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

xD I had mine downloaded from the betas. But for other games that I download.

I usually either look up information or any helpful tips for the games and read about the classes, etc. So I know what to expect when I load it up. If I don’t need to do any of that Minesweeper is pretty nice (its usually not a long wait for me).

If its hours, I usually go find a tv series to watch or a good movie. I’ve found reading while being impatient for a game can be tough sometimes, but a good book can work too. :P

Naps are good too.

VoidWhisperer.8635

Eh, I’m looking up tips since my download is finally nearing completion.. Planning to do an elementalist build =) Hopefully it doesn’t flop in my face.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

You have five slots to play with, you can also go to the mists and play with builds at max level. Personally I just messed with the 5 slots and leveled them all at random.

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

Pick up an instrument!

Can’t tell you how many times my guitar has filled the gap of wait times for downloads. Just browsing the web looking at tabs and chords and learning new songs, while I wait.

And in the end, you get a new hobby that doesn’t require electronics. Something to do when you lose electricity or just want to kick back and relax. You just pick it up, and play.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Checked out the wiki to get an idea on “classes”, races and crafting specialization. Also the basic UI and keybinding.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Astral Projections.7320

Inwardly, I was very excited. ^^

VoidWhisperer.8635

Inwardly, I was very excited. ^^

Haha nice :P

VoidWhisperer.8635

Erm.. I’ve run into an issue.. I got to 1 file remaining and my dl rate dropped to 0.0kb/sc.. and now it won’t download the last file.. help?

Astral Projections.7320

Apparently there is a download glitch where you can get stuck at 1 file left. I’ve read that you can switch languages to restart it. Go to the top corner and switch the language to French. See if that fixes it.

VoidWhisperer.8635

[img]http://i.imgur.com/Yd0bgX0.png[/img] Yay.. hopefully this works.. no thanks to arenanet

Posted by: KorbenDallas.6729

KorbenDallas.6729

I do push-ups. Ladies love to touch my arms and chest.

Posted by: Tuluum.9638

Tuluum.9638

no thanks to arenanet

Wellll, some thanks goes to them.. having made the game and all. :P

Have fun!

Henosis [ONE]
06-04-13
NEVER FORGET

Posted by: Gongor.7629

Gongor.7629

I do push-ups. Ladies love to touch my arms and chest.

i have just bought this game with all of my money.Maybe i will try that push up method

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

We had a guild party…since the guild actually formed before the game launched. It was great fun. We had a silly sing along, we told jokes, it really was a great time for us. Then the rush to farm the 10 silver necessary to form the guild, in case someone decided to take our name before we could use it (because even back then some people would have loved to troll me that way lol).

It was a blast.

Posted by: God Of Fissures.8627

God Of Fissures.8627

whacked o….

….read a book.

i7-3770K (Delidded) @ 4.6GHz | nVidia GTX TITAN X@ 1468/7800
ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz @ 2400MHz
Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSD | Windows 10 x64

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

The whole game downloaded in less than a hour.
Like 15 mb/s +.

Posted by: Grounder.7381

Grounder.7381

read manga / watch anime.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I knew that for at least the next few days I would probably be occupying my free time buy playing the game. I did some house cleaning, called a few people I had not talked to in a while, did some exercises, and cooked a nice meal because I figured I’d be eating microwave dinners for the next few nights.

The Burninator

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I knew that for at least the next few days I would probably be occupying my free time buy playing the game. I did some house cleaning, called a few people I had not talked to in a while, did some exercises, and cooked a nice meal because I figured I’d be eating microwave dinners for the next few nights.

I think you’re smarter than I am. lol

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

Raged, Raged, Rage-quitted, and more Rage…

I live in like a 2nd/3rd world country and I download at 50kbps, yes, kbps – at an average… So, yeah, think about that. :p

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

I just personally bought GW2 today after re-opening trilogies and having some fun with it, but i’m bored of of my mind atm on the download which got to 30%, then my computer bsoded, and now it’s at 50% after starting from 0. I’m currently browsing reddit so i have something to do. What did you guys do when you were waiting for gw2 to download?

(I would be playing another game during the download but sadly 2 directx games at once (which apparently includes the download screen for gw2) = bsod on my alienware)

I rambled on the Guild Wars 2 Guru forums as these forums weren’t up at the time of dowloading the game (headtsart weekend)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Don’t ask. It was during one of the first betas, and the downloader was seriously bugged (didn’t check files CRC, didn’t redownload broken files, dropped link often which caused files to be broken).
I had to redownload the whole game like ten times (without including the times where it cut the download on first 100 megs – and there was likely a hundred of those) before i was able to play with only occasional crashes.

Now, since that problem got fixed, it downloads very fast, so i don’t really have time to do much.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Weltenfeind.6794

Weltenfeind.6794

I was thinking to myself, "why, oh why, do they not have “download while playing”?" as a lot of other MMO’s have these days.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

My computer & connection are thankfully reliable and fast. Only took a couple hours to reinstall and download all patches a couple months ago. Usually I just browse The Chive while I wait for anything of substance to download.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)