What do you actually do in GW2 to have fun

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Oenanthe.6549

Oenanthe.6549

Yesterday, myself and a couple of friends were running around Bloodtide Coast when Scarlet’s minions invaded so we went over to join in. After 10 -15 minutes of standing spamming rapid fire and barrage using tab to target and aiming barrage in the general direction as I couldn’t see any targets we succeeded in one event and failed another.

I compared that to the night before when I was in Lornar’s Pass when I came across a champion. I managed to take it down to about 25% health solo before someone else came and joined in and we quickly finished it off. I had spent roughly the same amount of time, 10 – 15 minutes dodging around, swapping pets, stealthing and generally having to work to stay alive.

There was only one champion so only one lot of loot, but I enjoyed it far more.

These forums are often filled with complaints and moaning, so, I have a simple question. What have you done in GW2 that was actually fun in itself, not just chance happenings, but something you can go and repeat and enjoy again, and not purely done for the rewards gained at the end,

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

Solo roaming WvW. Virtually no reward but the adrenaline shakes are fun. Exploring is also fun – picking a map and just wandering around off the beaten path. Trying out new wonky builds in dungeons. RP. There’s lots to do.

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Wether you’re in WvW or PVE it’s just zerg content. A massive blob of players devouring content like a swarm of locusts.

This is bottom of the barrel game design; in my opinion.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Making lots of gold.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Personally, I really enjoy trying new things with guildmates. I played this game solo until about 6 weeks ago, and I was honestly getting pretty bored. Ya, it’s pretty, but when you’ve been to the same area a hundred times… meh. Anyway, I had never done PvP or WvW or dungeons or world bosses or jumping puzzles, etc. A good guild happened upon me and I decided to join as they were super nice and helpful and lots of people always online. With their help I have tried everything, and it’s really added new dimensions to the game for me. I also like helping people. I help by rezing downed players a lot, and helping with personal stories and skill points. I also kind of “discovered” the achievement points system, and now upping my APs is kind of the goal I’m working toward. Anyway, I have many, many things still I want to do in GW2, and I am totally addicted and having a blast with it!

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Heylo.4938

Heylo.4938

I like to play with my friends. Whether we’re farming and chatting, dungeon running, or killing each other in sPvP, it’s always fun.
I also love the dungeons so as long as those are around, I’ll be here :P

Sickest Guild [NA] Blackgate

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

I play.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

Whatever I feel like doing at that time pretty much. If it’s not fun I don’t do it.

Posted by: Sylentir.8913

Sylentir.8913

I like everything in moderation. I PvP every now and then, occaisonally hop on WvW with guildies, use my commander tag to help lead LS events, do occasional dungeons, run some fractals, and in general just try to do everything. Which probably explains why I’ve got nearly 4k achievement points :P

Heck, I’ve recently been running contests in LA where the first person to successfully reach me wins 5 gold! It’s fun seeing people fall to their doom jumping on rooftops to get to me

Talia Gallowglass [Few] ~ Sylvari Engineer Main
Ferguson’s Crossing

Posted by: mojowalker.3798

mojowalker.3798

Making lots of gold.

And then sharing it, this one would hope …

“If you can’t beat them, get a bigger stick.”
- Some random quote -
The Walkers and the Whispers, ANVIL ROCK

mojowalker.3798

I play.

This. If I didn’t find the game itself fun to play to begin with, I wouldn’t bother logging in. I’ve always looked at these questions like, “You’ve got a Monopoly game, but what do you do with it to have fun?” …. Ummm … play it?

- Some random quote -

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It depends what mood I’m in.

I love exploring the maps, even when I don’t actually find anything. The other day I was finishing off mapping Bloodtide Coast and I spent about 15 minutes climbing to the top of Dredgehat Isle. There was nothing up there and I got nothing to show for it (I don’t think I even took any screenshots) but it was interesting. And in this game even more than most there’s always that extra little kick that you might just find something. So many times I’ve been randomly exploring some “pointless” feature and suddenly realised that actually I’m not wasting time, I’m doing a jumping puzzle.
Finding hidden things like that is one of the best things about this game to me.

But I also like playing cooperatively with other people. Whether it’s guild missions or doing a mini-dungeon with whoever happens to be there I’ve had some great times helping people out.

Somewhat surprisingly to me I’ve also found I really enjoyed the Gauntlet and I can’t wait to get the new stuff finished to get back to battering myself against Liadri. The Gauntlet as a whole and Liadri in particular is really hard for me, but I really enjoy the challenge of it – learning new builds and techniques to beat the bosses and trying them out. And knowing that when I do it then it’s entirely down to me, not my team carrying me through.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Vol.5241

Making lots of gold.

Last month I gave out 100g, 1g to every new player in Queensdale. I may be a rich snob, but I’m also a philanthropist.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: Sylentir.8913

Sylentir.8913

Making lots of gold.

Last month I gave out 100g, 1g to every new player in Queensdale. I may be a rich snob, but I’m also a philanthropist.

If you want to have fun, make up contests. Do a hide-and-seek in Lion’s Arch, or a race in Queensdale, or an unofficial jumping puzzle. People like feeling that they worked toward their rewards, and it gives you something fun to do/watch!

Talia Gallowglass [Few] ~ Sylvari Engineer Main
Ferguson’s Crossing

Posted by: SinerAthin.2374

SinerAthin.2374

Wether you’re in WvW or PVE it’s just zerg content. A massive blob of players devouring content like a swarm of locusts.

I personally like games that aim to create a playing field for a high number of players to participate in.

But I think Guild Wars 2 messed up when it came to large amounts of players forming up in the same place.

Now, I won’t complain about FPS issues. It’s natural in all good battles, regardless of type or quality.
But the problem lies with the fact that; as you said, zerg play lacks depth and quality, essentially just being a big herd of players spamming buttons.

Organization is lacking in large groups on the tactical level.

Vol.5241

Making lots of gold.

If you want to have fun, make up contests. Do a hide-and-seek in Lion’s Arch, or a race in Queensdale, or an unofficial jumping puzzle. People like feeling that they worked toward their rewards, and it gives you something fun to do/watch!

Hmm good idea. There are loads of nice places in LA to do hide and seek.

[Permabanned on Forums]

mojowalker.3798

Making lots of gold.

Hmm good idea. There are loads of nice places in LA to do hide and seek.

Dance contest … or drinking contest.
Or both.

- Some random quote -

Posted by: superbeast.9873

superbeast.9873

You forgot the zergs of players standing around in Lion’s Arch. Come on, that’s like half the endgame :P

On a serious note, agreed 100%. The game has become a completely pointless endeavor. And playing for the sake of fun? Heh.. what’s fun about repeating the same content over and over, with the same bland and moron-friendly mechanics? Nothing.

Posted by: Dubblebass.8519

Dubblebass.8519

I pretty much just log in to do dailies. I don’t have a lot of time and I am not a big fan of temporary content. Once a week I do a run with the guildies, but other than that, just dailies.

Kieron Asbjorn – 80 Guardian | Saiuri – 80 Elementalist
Xylani – 80 Ranger | Osoroshii – 80 Warrior
GoM [LGG][COI]

Posted by: dcypher.2590

dcypher.2590

WvW a bunch. I do not like that it is mostly just following a zerg, but I’m not sure if it would even be possible to implement a battle on this scale any differently so it’s not that bad. Other than that it’s jumping puzzles. I love them and can do all of them at least once a month. especially the ones where timing is a factor (disappearing ledges, etc) I think this game does those best.

Posted by: Oenanthe.6549

Oenanthe.6549

Can we keep this to fun things and not let it turn into a whining thread.

I guess I don’t really understand why people who keep complaining keep playing if they are not enjoying it, so I wanted to know what people actually enjoy. (and maybe the devs will be listening and keep putting that content in, not just zerg runs)

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

I do dungeons & WvW,dungeons to make gold, wvw to kill time – PvE itself though I have no interest in, living story is always a big yawn for me

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

Most nights I can’t answer that question. Am I having fun or am I addicted or am I just bored and have no other MMO to play? Different days I would have different answers.

Right now I am stuck in the loop of there being an easy way to make money with the new events which is basically a zerg fest of loot pinatas for 45 minutes, 5 minutes of selling and organizing inventory, then 10 minutes of respite then back to the 45 minutes of cash cow.

Am I having fun, yes and no, but I’m definitely feeling compelled to take advantage of it while it lasts.

Posted by: Mackanstein.2503

Mackanstein.2503

I’m not on as much as I used to, but when I log on I mostly cruise a particular zone I feel like doing and explore it in more detail than I did before. I really like walking around Queensdale and finding all those details I never noticed while leveling or striving for map completion.

So basically, just enjoying the landscape and the odd event.

That’s what I do for fun. For sating my completionist urges I do some Living Story achievs, but I’m trying to stop myself from getting too absorbed into that.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Travel in a small group and roam wvw. Or just play wvw without following the dorito.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Lately??
Logging out sooner…

This isn’t a slight or attack either. There’s just much more constructive things to be doing in real life right now and more people need to embrace that while the weather’s still good. Healthy things. Things people should really try instead of whiteknighting a game that just happens to be really Farm-Focused right now. We can simply agree to disagree on those definitions. But what can’t be argued about is that there’s more important things in life than getting 20+ Gold a day in this game.

In-Game things? … I find setting up Larger group Event Pre-Events to be very validating.
That can be done solo… Then there’s Herb gathering which can be relaxing and profitable on certain days depending on how close they spawned to eachother. …umm… lucking out and getting a really good Dungeon team is always nice but that’s not really a reliable or casual thing so it begins to get more stressful the more dedicated to it you become until eventually you’re in the Dungeon Subforum comparing speed records & making fun of TAFU threads.

(edited by ilr.9675)

Posted by: Fenrir.3609

Fenrir.3609

The Liadri stuff, trying to solo dungeons and some spvp.

I have to admit i’ve lost interest in the game now for the main part though.

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

Do dungeons as fast as possible, come on the forums and troll the people that come on the dungeon subforum to complain about them.

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Playing the game.
I think ppl have comply forgotten why we play games and get way too much into “I must have this and this and this” making the games that they play into jobs. Sadly i think they are addictive to that type of feeling never ending consumerism.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: cheebuguh.2536

cheebuguh.2536

Exploration. While leveling, I loved going through the zones and discovering new things. Sometimes I’d come across a jumping puzzle or mini-dungeon, which took me away from what I was doing and gave me a “side-quest.”

Other times I stumbled upon some dynamic event chains and followed it through to see the entire story and what happened.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I play the game, I level alts (getting harder, they keep hitting 80), I look for achieves, I do the Events — but mostly I RP. I have four characters with ongoing disparate and occasionally braided plotlines, and others with bit roles to play. My guild has even more plotlilnes that I can dip into, along with adventures using the world.

At some point we’re going to do the Aether JP ICly in our quest to commandeer an airship. Many hijinks are likely.

Posted by: Superfast.5901

Superfast.5901

i think it is so crazy that people get bored in this game! There are literally so many zones to farm/zerg around… people are spoiled by games like WoW/Rift/SWTOR.. those games are for hardcore/skilled/serious players who want to progress/etc, but it’s clear that nobody who loves GW2 cares about that! Just have fun with your friends is what I say

Posted by: Klawlyt.6507

Klawlyt.6507

WvW.

And sometimes, PvP.

The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real.
No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

Personally, it depends on the mood I’m in. I’ll play Living Story if I’m interested, or sometimes I’ll just do my daily achievement and then call it a day. Mostly though (and ironically) I enjoy completing time gated content. I recently saved enough Laurels for a full set of Ascended trinkets (without the backpack, though thanks ANet for making that possible with Secret of Southsun. I hate fractals.) and even more recently, a full set of Celestial armor and weapons. It took me forever to save up, but the sense of accomplishment was awesome.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

General Kitten Kicking.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Exploration. While leveling, I loved going through the zones and discovering new things. Sometimes I’d come across a jumping puzzle or mini-dungeon, which took me away from what I was doing and gave me a “side-quest.”

Other times I stumbled upon some dynamic event chains and followed it through to see the entire story and what happened.

This would be great if 99% of the events in the game weren’t exactly the same and became tedious after 30 minutes. =/