What do you think PVP on PVE maps?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Thord.2017

Thord.2017

Only if it is restricted to low level areas where despite the fact that my level 80 characters drop down to level 15 or whatever I could take over from the Shadow Behemoth from time to time and win

Warrior level 80, Guardian level 80, Ranger level 80, Thief level 80, Elementalist level 60

Server: Gunnars Hold [EU]

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Wow. Major thread bug. No pages. No responses. Only OP’s initial post.

Posting to fix thread.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Alienmuppet.1942

Alienmuppet.1942

Posting to fix thread.

Or.. page 2.

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

Posting to fix thread.

Or.. page 2.

LOL

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Hey guys, i had played Arche age a little, and i realy enjoyed the pvp system, but i cant play anymore because a lot of things.
So i think that NCSOFT really can make an update that have PVE at lvl 90-100. and those maps could have pvp system with new weapons, armors, and new things!
so, what do u think?

…level cap raising and pvp in pve areas in one post? With possible suggestions for new tier of gear?
Those are three very definite NOs. Or, more eloquently, Oh gods, please, no!

Haha .. yeah he only forgot mounts and capes

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: HeadCrowned.6834

HeadCrowned.6834

I like the idea of having a PvE map where you can farm valuable stuff, but where is always the danger to get attacked by a group of enemy players. Many games have implemented this, and it can deliver good fun. The problem with GW might be however that there should be a group of allies which you can farm and raid with. And it might be hard to determine what this group should be; your party? your race? your server? Personally I think the racial choice has been too minor in this game yet, so yeh, any person of your race as ally would be nice in my opinion.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

I think highly of free for all, non-censensual open world pvp with dramatic consequences and free corpse looting -just not in GW2, that is not the place for it.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Personally I think the racial choice has been too minor in this game yet, so yeh, any person of your race as ally would be nice in my opinion.

If GW2 started with all the races at war with each other then I can understand it, but it didn’t; trying to impose racial factions like that wouldn’t make any sense, particularly when both the personal story and living story is all about uniting people to fight a common threat.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

If GW2 started with all the races at war with each other then I can understand it, but it didn’t; trying to impose racial factions like that wouldn’t make any sense, particularly when both the personal story and living story is all about uniting people to fight a common threat.

So you really think the average ganker cares about things like a story ?
All they need is a bush to hide behind and somebody who runs by so they can jump
them from behind

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

So you really think the average ganker cares about things like a story ?
All they need is a bush to hide behind and somebody who runs by so they can jump
them from behind

Of course not, I don’t think the average ganker cares much for anything beyond their own borderline sociopath tendencies, but that wasn’t the point :p

Posted by: Vieux P.1238

Vieux P.1238

I think highly of free for all, non-censensual open world pvp with dramatic consequences and free corpse looting -just not in GW2, that is not the place for it.

No it cant be a free for all. there would have to be a 2 faction waring much like woW with alliance & horde. what would be cool about it is that both sides would be competing for resources such as mining & farming stuff. Cuz 1 side takes it, & it’s gone! Incentive to fight for whats yours. & of course this could go even farther.

Posted by: HeadCrowned.6834

HeadCrowned.6834

Personally I think the racial choice has been too minor in this game yet, so yeh, any person of your race as ally would be nice in my opinion.

I think the personal story sucks, so I wouldn’t bother. I just think it’s kinda bad that it does not matter which race you pick, especially not in end-game content.

Posted by: Thord.2017

Thord.2017

It couldn’t be based upon race. The only playable race which ever fought the others was the Charr vs The Rest more or less. In other words you would have to go back to the time of Guild Wars 1 and make it Charr on one side with everyone else on the other. Couldn’t be between Guilds because of the big differences in the size of Guilds. Other games that included open world PvP have only a few groups fighting each other, mostly two groups I think.

Warrior level 80, Guardian level 80, Ranger level 80, Thief level 80, Elementalist level 60

Server: Gunnars Hold [EU]

Posted by: Vieux P.1238

Vieux P.1238

Not races but more like Evil dudes vs Queen Jenna goodies. something like that. No matter what race you are on.. Just pick a side. It would fall on just a belief system.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

duel would be nice, but with an option to auto-reject all duel request.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Have people forgotten the beta event where The Shatterer basically flew over one of the starting charr areas and turned half of the players into enemies =)
How amazing was that event? They really need to implement something as epic as those encounters more often.

Enjoy =)

In limited occasions possibly, but not as an ongoing thing.

How many world bosses do you think will get done if people will flag in the middle and start ganking low health players?

It’d ruin the open world event system.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: Scryeless.1924

Scryeless.1924

Open world PvP is already in the game. It’s WvW. It serves that purpose well. Open world PvP in other games was only fun on very rare occasions. It was a major headache and annoyance. Events and quests could not be completed or completion was slowed.

99% of the time it is one person just running around griefing people and not really fighting in any honorable fashion. Either by exploit or a cheesy build or cowardly tactics (utilizing fears and knockbacks on unsuspecting adventurers at high altitudes is a great example). Don’t get me wrong these things happen in WvW but the great thing about WvW is that it is separate from the rest of the game. So when you feel like putting up with these types of shenanigans then you can just jump right in. When you have had your fill you can jump right out. However, if a level 80 Ranger with fully ascended zerker gear has set up camp on a cliff killing you from halfway across a map every time you try to get to a personal story quest long before you can reach the quest entrance then you are going to start to have some pretty high stress levels.

Just hang out in Obsidian Sanctum for a while to see what i mean. I was showing a new player Obsidian Sanctum a month or two ago. Just letting him try to figure out the puzzle. In the puzzle arena an enemy ranger sat up on a ledge that was too far out of reach for anyone but another ranger (which neither of us were). He just shot and shot and shot and shot. Killed my friend a few times but he couldn’t kill me. Even though he couldn’t kill me i had no chance of making it to him to do anything about it because of being in combat constantly.

This is what open world pvp on pve maps is. It isn’t fun. It just puts a sour taste in players mouths.

Other games don’t generally force open world pvp on players. They generally set up specific servers for pvp and others for pve and then clearly label them.

Ya know…. similar to how wvw and pve are separated….

SoS – Ele – Burn Me, Freeze Me, Blind Me, Pound Me — Wait…What?
Warrior – The New Burninator! Strongbad would be so proud!
Guardian – Burn for you, heal for me, block for me and uh…sorry Im all out of gifts.

Posted by: Tsubaki.8732

Tsubaki.8732

No it cant be a free for all. there would have to be a 2 faction waring much like woW with alliance & horde. what would be cool about it is that both sides would be competing for resources such as mining & farming stuff. Cuz 1 side takes it, & it’s gone! Incentive to fight for whats yours. & of course this could go even farther.

Have seen this in too many games.

One faction starts “winning”, the players of the other faction can’t get their mining/farming stuff, so they also cannot get the quest rewards/crafts for the new “awesome” equipment, so only the winning side has it and dominates even more, which leads to the losing players thinking “why should I do this, I get ganked all the time and can get no stuff, I’ll just play the other faction/switch to a server where my side is winning”.

Losing side gives up/leaves, winning side gets bored because there is nobody to kill. Look up e.g. Aion, they had to shut down servers because of this.

(edited by Tsubaki.8732)

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Have seen this in too many games.

One faction starts “winning”, the players of the other factions can’t get their mining/farming stuff, so they also cannot get the quest rewards/crafts for the new “awesome” equipment, so only the winning side has it and dominates even more, which leads to the losing players thinking “why should I do this, I get ganked all the time and can get no stuff, I’ll just play the other faction/switch to a server where my side is winning”.

Losing side gives up/leaves, winning side gets bored because there is nobody to kill. Look up e.g. Aion, they had to shut down servers because of this.

That’s why splitting the community in 2 “factions” isn’t going to work and causes a whole lot of problems. Just have a look at any major MMORPG that splits their community and watch their server list, when you try to create your characters, “FactionA only”, “FactionB only”, as one faction will surpass the other and dominate the entire server.

That’s why the WvW system, servers fighting other servers with a “similar” rating, is way superior to any kind of Faction-based PVP system seen in other games. Keeping fights interesting and also varied enough. Maybe it’s not working very well sometimes, unfair pairs, or having the same opponents over and over, but beats the alternative easily.

Faction PVP is dumb

Posted by: Xander.9024

Xander.9024

Here is an idea for ya. You want pvp to mean something, right? How about if they added Hoh? (Hall of Heros)

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

takes a drink

Just to reiterate, the day they add this kitten is the day I quit this game for good. I don’t play GW2 to live in fear of being ganked by spiteful players while trying to do ANYTHING.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

The biggest problem with PvP is exactly what we see in the current WvW servers: players want to be on the winning side. So players create characters on the winning side which creates a permanent imbalance in PvP.

But aside from that I vote no to open world PvP and will also leave the game if it is introduced.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Teenager Warrior.2064

Teenager Warrior.2064

I like the idea of having a PvE map where you can farm valuable stuff, but where is always the danger to get attacked by a group of enemy players. Many games have implemented this, and it can deliver good fun. The problem with GW might be however that there should be a group of allies which you can farm and raid with. And it might be hard to determine what this group should be; your party? your race? your server? Personally I think the racial choice has been too minor in this game yet, so yeh, any person of your race as ally would be nice in my opinion.

This could be awesome!

Posted by: Omernon.9762

Omernon.9762

I wouldn’t want to see World PvP, nor a map like the one you just mentioned, but I would love to see some sort of arena (just like Colosseum) where there are no rules, no teams, no anything… Just free-for-all mode and one big random slaugher for everyone who wants to participate in. :-)

Would be fun I guess…

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

guys, PAY atention! IS not a WORLD PVP, but a map PVP that u need to farm, grind or idk what to make new and greater gear then ascended!
and the enymies is not another race, but another guild (Guild Wars)

This makes the idea worse, not better. Another gear tier? No, thanks.

Go to WvW, you can farm stuff there and fight players there.