What do you think is overall the best profession, and why?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: RenoMiranda.2685

RenoMiranda.2685

Guardians are very good. I use greatsword and mace/shield, I have very high toughness to make up for my low hp and my crit chance is 20%. In pvp i die about once every 2 games and sonetimes i dont die at all. The only class i have trouble with is the mesmer and sometimes necro

Crave[CCC]

Posted by: Snow White.9680

Snow White.9680

Warrior is the most fun for me.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

the Best ? as of now,easily thiefs,it’s easy mode being invis all the time + the culling issue having your back.

Posted by: tpriel.8517

tpriel.8517

my thief is 80 i really like it but i have to be very careful and going out farming is a pain unlucky add spawns really suck the gold out of my wallet that said i love that style of game play

i have a 32 guardian and is so much fun to stand toe to toe w/ a vet and not worry …. i mean the same fights i had on the thief where i die the guardian can handle no problem

i would definitely recommend the gard for someone who wants to solo and farm

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

Hmm.

Fun Factor- Any class its about the individual player.

PvP viablity:
Spvp – Mesmer Thief
Tpvp – Memser Guardian
WvW – Mesmer Thief (roaming)

PvE:
Sustained DPS – Any class can do this
Tanking – Warrior Guardian and Elementalist can do this well Necromancer and Engineer also have builds that tank well
Group utility – Guardian/Ele and warrior there are other support builds but these classes have the strongest ones.

Solo:
1 mob – Burst thief Ranger
2-3 mobs – Warrior SB Thief
4-10 mobs – Necromancer Ele

Best class?

The one I play just like everyone else.

However, in all seriousness given a situation facing an unspecified task in the game Ele and Guardian have the most overall utility. this doesn’t make them the best class but if I had to those best in most situations I would stick with those 2.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

Posted by: Xenth.2408

Xenth.2408

I have 4 level 80 characters, and I got to 80 in this order: Ranger, Mesmer, Thief, Guardian.

Of these, ranger brings the least to groups. They have good single target DPS for sure from range but that’s really it IMO.

On the other hand, thief has better single target and multiple target ranged damage and much better survivability. They’re also lacking on group utility other than bypassing content or easier reviving. I think their sustained DPS over time and burst DPS makes up for this, assuming the thief knows how to play well enough to stay alive. Thief is my favorite class to play in PVE, Dungeons, and WVW.

I like my mesmer but like my ranger I don’t play it much any more. Damage is pretty good, utility is excellent in that they basically make foe(s) miserable.

Guardian doesn’t match my playstyle well. Mine is a defensive/shout based build. And while I increase the survivability of my group tremendously, it’s just not as enjoyable to me.

So I guess thief is the best profession.

It’s just a matter of playstyle. In a group, a good thief helps kill things faster and can focus key opponents so things end up doing less damage overall. A guardian protects/regens a group and removes conditions so that a group lasts longer in fights.

Posted by: MistyMountains.3751

MistyMountains.3751

Best for:

Pug Spvp- Thief, Mesmer…People don’t know how to counter the spam of clones/stealth/ and burst
Tpvp- Bunker builds, generally Guardian
Wvw- Doesn’t matter, its all about dat zerg lol
Pve- Easiest to play would be Warrior, Necro, and Ranger

Posted by: Katzyn.9703

Katzyn.9703

I would say Elementalist – They’re so versatile.

My Ele is a staff support-based Ele, and I just love playing her. She is power, healing, and toughness built (though I’d like more vit, as well – may work on that soon), and does good damage, heals the team in whatever I’m doing, and hardly ever dies (unless thieves get me alone in WvW).

Then there’s dagger Eles, which look like a ton of fun, and deadly.

Katzy (80 Sylvari Ranger), Katarzynea (80 Norn Elementalist),
Katalii (40ish Asuran Mesmer), Katalyn Galadheon (15ish Human Warrior)

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

Engineer 100%, can do everything like a boss.

Posted by: Lithos.9560

Lithos.9560

The Engineer’s damage is not all that great, however. Ultimately, the two best professions are the Warrior and the Guardian- they both are the top two in damage and defense. The new problem is deciding which one is better- the Warrior, or the Guardian?

Posted by: LanceKing.3017

LanceKing.3017

Nercomancer because the class is a real bad kitten , real “Bad Kitten”

Posted by: shrewd.5319

shrewd.5319

Anything but thief.

Right now #1 best is elementalist.

Posted by: Febrizzio.8024

Febrizzio.8024

this topic seem never gonna be end… lol

[Tarnished Coast]
Febrizzio Romeo, Human Guardian of [Pro Baddies]
Indonesia Player, Say Hello ^_^

Posted by: Yamiino.1827

Yamiino.1827

I think it depends on what you find as “best”.

I like elementalist because of it pew pew and all the roles it can do.

I like thief, because it’s like hide and seek.

I like mesmer, because it’s like “where’s waldo?”.

I like ranger, because it has pets! pokemanz!

I like necro, because it has many pets! moar pokemanz!

And so on

Lithos.9560

Okay just to keep everybody from drifting off the main topic, the question is which profession is better overall? That means considering the defense, damage, mobility, and so on of the profession. So which is overall the best profession? Hmm?

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

I have 4 eighties.
Warrior was my first and is my main.
Ranger was my second and is close to eclipsing my Warrior as my main.
Mesmer was my third and I only really started enjoying it once I had him geared at 80.
Engineer is my fourth and is the least well geared currently.

The first three I really enjoy.

Warrior is still my first choice for harder scenarios such as dungeons & fractals, as I know he’s got the survivability combined with excellent support and control. I would also argue that playing a warrior well is far from faceroll. With hammer or x/shield in particular, you have to watch the enemy like a hawk to best time your attacks.

My Mesmer I initially hated. It couldn’t kill anything and spent a lot of time running away from things, abusing all of the stealth options available to it.
However, that all changed at 80 when I made my own illusion bomber build, and now he’s awesome. Durable because of constant dodging thanks to almost permanent vigor, an almost infinite supply of illusions to explode and he annoys everyone on Mumble because he pulls EVERYTHING

My Ranger, Wildheart, is very close to eclipsing my warrior as my main. While not as durable, I run a condition build mainly focussing on sword/torch & traps, and she kills things incredibly quickly. I can get bleeds, fire, poison, vulnerability, cold and cripple onto enemies incredibly quickly all at the same time with a startling degree of frequency, and that many conditions ticking away destroys enemies.
Plus, she looks fab in her Sylvari tier 3 (see attached).

My engineer has only recently hit 80, and while I like him, he’s the weakest of the four at the moment. There’s just something a little boring about him. He doesn’t seem quite as reactive as my other classes, but as his gear’s not yet finished, that may all change.

It really comes down to different strokes for different folks, and different tools for different situations.
I fully intend to get one of every class to 80 however, and am currently working on a thief. He’s 45 and was suffering from the same thing as my mesmer for a while, but is now coming into his own. Sword & Dagger for the dazing win!

Attachments:

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: Dakiaris.2798

Dakiaris.2798

Necromancer because we get pet undead hamsters and some lack luster abilities that force us to place well or fail trying…..

I main a axe necro love the class but hate some of the mechanics…. It will change over time I’m sure but this is what I enjoy and I’m rounded out for solo/group and pvp play with my builds…. The other reason I love the class is just the fact you can’t just face plant the keyboard and win.

(edited by Dakiaris.2798)

Posted by: Reaper.1695

Reaper.1695

I just leveled a Human Ranger to 80. Many good times in PvE. Now I’m starting a Human Warrior, at lvl 6 now. Already I’m blown away by the abilities of the Warrior, this is with no skills unlocked. Can’t wait to try him in PvP or WvW. I couldn’t do much with the Ranger in those forums. Ranger in PvE was excellent, could take any mob with a trap build, except in Orr because Orr is stupid. My wife is starting a Sylvari Necro. This has some nice skills as well….

Posted by: NightyNight.1823

NightyNight.1823

My personal favorite is Thief because is the most offensive charracter out there and fast.Has great mobility which means survivability in this game.Exept engineer I like all the other proffesions .Don’t play all yet but I play a few and they are all great.
And I see a lot of missconceptions that light armoured characters or medium are worse tanks than heavy ones and its funny because an Elementalist makes a better tank than a Warrior any time of the day.

Lithos.9560

What are your opinions on Guardians?

Posted by: Genesis.5169

Genesis.5169

Not a mesmer.
Don’t do it to your self bro.
Bugs everywhere.

These forums are a joke its not for opinions or debate its just a safe place for people to cry at.

Posted by: Anchorwind.9016

Anchorwind.9016

Monk. They’re so kitten, they had to be excluded from the sequel to allow others to be played.

Lithos.9560

So, what is the true difference between a Guardian and a Warrior, like in the end which profession gets the job done better?

Posted by: Ansultares.1567

Ansultares.1567

Hmm, but how is the survivability of the Theif?

Quite high, assuming you have an IQ > 80.

Lithos.9560

I honestly can’t decide between the Guardian and Warrior…can the Guardian do good range dps? And how?

Lithos.9560

Since Arena Net nerfed Guardians and gave them the same amount of health as an elementalist, I think Warriors may just be much better…

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

Ele for me, because the other 7 classes (4 of which I have at 80, necro, guardian, mesmer, warrior) just put me to sleep at this point.

(edited by Minion of Vey.4398)

Posted by: Midnightjade.3520

Midnightjade.3520

My main is a giant Norn level 80 guardian with spec for tanking and support, and some dps. Works great and is not hard to play at all, very hard to bring down and helps the group, and contributes damage. I really like it, and it works well in most situations. He ends up tanking most everything in most groups I’m in.

My alt is an Asuran Mesmer, totally different and maybe more fun. Honestly, the potential for shenanagins on that job is just off. the. chain. I get into completely ridiculous situations all the time and somehow manage to escape unscathed. But Mesmer takes a little more awareness to play – you have to be thinking about what’s going on around you in more detail.

If you had a few glasses of wine with dinner you could definitely still play Guardian and nobody would notice, but it would probably affect your ability to play Mesmer.

Onyx: Norn Guardian 80. Queen in Tatters: Asura Mesmer 80.
[The Flameseeker Prophecies] 4/11/13
Itinerant, no guild.

Posted by: CoaxialMazer.9140

CoaxialMazer.9140

Don’t let warriors health pool fool you =\
No protection boon or aegis, and just barely enough condition removal to scream for.
Trust me the health pool looks nice, but it really is empty glass water unless you stack some toughness on that warrior.

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

In order:

Guardian, elementalist, warrior

Each of these is capable of the following (on a balancing scale), where most others are not:

• insane group support (boons, healing, or control)
  • insane damage (both single target and aoe depending on weapons kit) OR insane survivability (based on traits)
  • multiple pvp options (others are pidgeon-holed.. mesmers are portal bots unless 1v1, thiefs are 1v1 or gtfo)
  • multiple build options (they have good trait synergy on most builds and can build for anything along the continuum from selfish bunker to glass cannon)

You notice these 3 a LOT in speed runs, often in multiples, while others just happen to show up here and there.

Lithos.9560

No protection boon or aegis, and just barely enough condition removal to scream for.
Trust me the health pool looks nice, but it really is empty glass water unless you stack some toughness on that warrior.

I think you may make a good point that should be taken into consideration…the warrior’s defense isn’t all that great and their survivability is still on the low side regardless of the big health pool.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I think you may make a good point that should be taken into consideration…the warrior’s defense isn’t all that great and their survivability is still on the low side regardless of the big health pool.

This is why I stated early in the thread that if I were going to a fight I needed to win I would take my guardian. I soloed the champ in ebonhawke (not a particularly hard one) one day when passing through on my guardian and noticed that my health would dip low and 10 seconds later I’d be near full health again. On my warrior when the health goes low it means I need to pull out the rifle as it’s not going up significantly with the heal on cooldown. The warriors superior hp just isn’t a significant factor in a long-term fight. To me, this doesn’t make the guardian the best class, just the most survivable with the least effort.

Raine.1394

Ele for me, because the other 7 classes (4 of which I have at 80, necro, guardian, mesmer, warrior) just put me to sleep at this point.

And, if you were defining ‘best’ as that profession/spec that required, and more importantly, rewarded, skillful play I would have to further qualify it as the d/d elementalist. It also qualifies as having the most synergistic build that I’ve seen in the game. It is the only profession that I’ve obsessively watched videos of in action. The d/d elementalist in the right hands is both pure art and effectiveness.

plasmacutter.2709

And, if you were defining ‘best’ as that profession/spec that required, and more importantly, rewarded, skillful play I would have to further qualify it as the d/d elementalist. It also qualifies as having the most synergistic build that I’ve seen in the game. It is the only profession that I’ve obsessively watched videos of in action. The d/d elementalist in the right hands is both pure art and effectiveness.

You forgot variety of play.

glass cannon
tank
ranged
melee
aoe
single target

it does them all, and it does them all while being fun, engaging, and not overpowered (except maybe scepter.. that thing just sucks unless your enemy is afk)

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

WvW- Thief
PvE – Warrior or Guardian

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

Raine.1394

glass cannon
tank
ranged
melee
aoe
single target

it does them all, and it does them all while being fun, engaging, and not overpowered (except maybe scepter.. that thing just sucks unless your enemy is afk)

I want to emphasize “not overpowered” just in case Anet is listening. The showcase here is player skill, not an inherently overpowered profession.

plasmacutter.2709

glass cannon
tank
ranged
melee
aoe
single target

I want to emphasize “not overpowered” just in case Anet is listening. The showcase here is player skill, not an inherently overpowered profession.

well, each spec can’t do it all, each one has its own achilles heels, group utility level (or lack thereof), and damage caps (which always balance well against survivability).

Being able to build and gear for any role is the goal of arenanet for every profession.

Elementalist got there first.

Lithos.9560

How does the range dps of the Guardian compare to that of the Warrior’s?

Raine.1394

How does the range dps of the Guardian compare to that of the Warrior’s?

The Guardian’s ranged options are a downside to playing the Guardian, sadly. I’m running with a staff mostly for the swiftness buff as there really isn’t a good option for ranged. Warrior has it over Guardian when it comes to ranged. The Warrior’s rifle is what every Engineer wishes they had for rifle damage. And, the ‘rifle’ warrior is a good spec in WvW. What this leaves me thinking is that Guardian loses on completeness of the profession in covering the bases and Warrior wins this one.

Edit: just want to note I’m replying to the question on ranged dps, not utility. The Guardians ranged dps is more than lackluster, it’s just bad.

(edited by Raine.1394)

Posted by: Sinzia.1237

Sinzia.1237

My 2 favorites are my Mesmer, and Elementalist. Both took time to learn and skill to play, but now they wreck anything that comes near them. Once I understood how to juggle attunements and use self combos the Elementalist became a machine.

I also think the Thief and Engineer are fun also.

Guardian is Ok, kind of find it boring

I think the warrior is the most boring.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Mesmer because with all the target loss skills they have and easy creation of illusions it messes up everyone in 1v1 and when they’re dead lot of them cry cuz you’re playing an easiest class in gw2.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

Since Arena Net nerfed Guardians and gave them the same amount of health as an elementalist, I think Warriors may just be much better…

They’ve had that health pool since beta, last I knew.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Raideen.5973

Raideen.5973

Engineer.

Ohh wait, wrong thread.

Lithos.9560

They’ve had that health pool since beta, last I knew.

Actually they used to have a pretty high health pool, but Arena Net nerfed it just a short while after the launch of the game.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Best for me is elementalist, a lot of fun and while they can be squishy they also can cut down a large group of mobs, just need to be careful of hits taken. Next for me is hunter, have never played this in any other game and found it a lot of fun, too bad the greatsword is not viable with my playstyle, just loved the concept. Next for me is the mesmer, just started it so is only about 17 now, have had more fun at low levels than any other character. Guardian is 72 now and I am happy with it but not overwhelmed. Thief is 40 and not enjoying it, same with necro. Warrior and engineer I have not tried.

Lithos.9560

In selecting the best profession, the difficulty of the profession must be taken into consideration and the elementalist is very difficult to play, for the same results as another and easier profession.

Lithos.9560

How is the difficulty of the Warrior compared to the difficulty of the Guardian?

Lithos.9560

Do you feel that the Warrior is more fun than the Guardian? Some have said that the Warrior gets extremely boring after a while. What do you think?

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

Warrior by far, this is from personal experience. It is simply THE best and you can facetank anything with knights and still get near 100% crit rating with some MF and healing power. I can’t do this on any of my other proffs.. not at all.

The general ease of the class is just too good to pass up, they excel in every aspect of the game.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Lithos.9560

A lot of people complain that the Warrior is more boring than the Guardian…honestly what really makes the Guardian or the Warrior better?