What do you think is overall the best profession, and why?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: The Moment Ends.1635

The Moment Ends.1635

I like all of them, some just suit me better than others.

Thief is my highest, love her. Warrior is next on my alts, followed by Mesmer, Ranger and my newest Guardian.

I can’t get into Engineers, its the whole tech thing I guess. I just deleted my second Ele, compared to GW1 Eles they just don’t seem to measure up. Probably a balance thing to do with WvW.

I agree about the ele. Having played ele in GW1, I was really excited for it and was pretty disappointed by it. Something about that class just doesn’t feel right.

Posted by: Lithos.9560

Lithos.9560

I agree with you. Although damage wise, the elementalist may be at the top depending on the player of course. I think what the elementalist truly lacks is survivability. When playing an elementalist I use to die so much, I understand that dying is a part of the game and occurs every now and then, but as an elementalist I dies so many times it became annoying, and death really became a chore. Was it like that for you guys?

Posted by: Voqar.2349

Voqar.2349

Warrior.

Fun to play. Excellent dps and survivability.

Lots of excellent weapons (weapon skill sets).

Excellent spread and selection of slot skills – too many to choose from.

Excellent trait line bonuses and selection of chooseable bonuses.

Excellent non-racial elites.

I’ve tried every class to some extent and find many of them are somewhat lacking for slot skills and/or traits and/or weapon sets. Or have wacko design (my main is an ele and I hate most of the fixed trait perks and elites, for ex).

Warrior feels well thought out and complete. I wish every profession was as fully loaded and complete feeling as the warrior.

Everyone I know who tries a warrior after playing other professions is floored by how much stronger it feels.

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

Engineer. Because why even have any other classes? Need a healer? Engineer can do that. Need a lot of CC? Ooh ooh bring an engineer! Need good AoE damage? You better believe that engineer’s got some grenades.

Lithos.9560

Right now there seems to be a tie between the Warrior and the Guardian. I personally really want to like the Warrior, but I can’t. I still need to spend some more time with the Warrior before I can make a final decision. So what do you guys think, now it has come down to Warrior or Guardian?

Posted by: Uchi.2419

Uchi.2419

Engineer.

Because bomb kits.

Because boom boom.

I needs no reasons besides boom boom.

Posted by: Ansultares.1567

Ansultares.1567

Thief.

Who wouldn’t want to play a class that by default is intended to two shot its targets, while using stealth to prevent them from even knowing the attack is coming?

They’re even useful outside of 1v1 thanks to that pull.

Though I suppose if all you do is WvW and run around with the zerg, there are some better choices, but that’s an extremely limited playstyle.

Lithos.9560

Hmm, but how is the survivability of the Theif?

Lithos.9560

I have recently been using range a lot more on the Guardian, and it is pretty decent. So far the “best” profession has come to be the Guardian according to the opinions of most people on this forum. Any other profession you guys think challenges the might Guardian?

Posted by: AndrewWaltfeld.4621

AndrewWaltfeld.4621

I personally love Engineer, the flexibility in the class is very good and once you get a feel on the class, it’s very fun. When I switch to other classes it feels like I’m missing something important.

Lithos.9560

Hmm..I never really tried out the Engineer, how is their survivability?

Posted by: kyokara.1867

kyokara.1867

Guys please stop saying warrior I don’t want my class to become fotm again
Everyone roll ele and don’t put anything into toughness or vit

80 Warrior
2 Mesmer (sPvP only)

Posted by: Eridani.8317

Eridani.8317

First 80 was a Guardian and I really like it, just pisses me off that every other character I see seems to be one.

Posted by: Rise.9702

Rise.9702

Not a lot of people saying thief. Is it a bad/boring class?

You sir are a Scholar and Gentlekitten.

Posted by: Doxshund.9235

Doxshund.9235

I enjoy my guardian a lot but in WvW it is meh.
I am on my ranger and he is fun in WvW but prefer guardian in PvE

Asura > all

Posted by: AndrewWaltfeld.4621

AndrewWaltfeld.4621

Hmm..I never really tried out the Engineer, how is their survivability?

Depends on your build, but in general, kite and control like a boss. My current engineer build has decent damage and control abilities so I’m pretty much just running around and kiting doing lots of damage. The class is extremely flexibility in what it can do and switching your skill slots usually means no need to change your trait tree.

Posted by: Bravix.3497

Bravix.3497

Warrior is easily #1. Does great in WvW and it can just spin kitten to death in PvE. Combined with quickness in PvP it annihilates everything before they can even heal.

Mesmer is pretty cool too when used right.

Guardian is good up close, ranged sucks though. Scepter is a joke.

Posted by: Vaerah.4907

Vaerah.4907

Best class, as in most complete, well rounded, with deep enough gameplay and versatility: Guardian.
Warrior comes close, it’s more for the “faceroll” crowd though.
Thief is cool too but ATM too much slammed in the “2 buttons class” category for it to be appreciated just for the class properties.

On the opposite spectrum, Necro = top bugged class and Elementalist = extreme case of “jack of all the trades master of none” but with bad made traits so their stances don’t mesh well enough, only (some) combos are well done. So, reward ends up being minimal compared to the effort.

To me Elementalist is the Magus of Warhammer Online or the Druid of WoW (before WoLTK): for years they’d been problematic classes, any bold update risking to make them OP so they got timid updates that would just show their underlying design frailty even more.

Posted by: CrystalKnight.3619

CrystalKnight.3619

your talking about guardians, the strongest tanky healer with decent damage.. there is no reason for them to have good range options. i would love for my ranger to be able to tank like a guardian. but all professions shine in some places and lack in the other none are master of all trades.

Posted by: Bellatrix.5402

Bellatrix.5402

Best class, as in most complete, well rounded, with deep enough gameplay and versatility: Guardian.
Warrior comes close, it’s more for the “faceroll” crowd though.
Thief is cool too but ATM too much slammed in the “2 buttons class” category for it to be appreciated just for the class properties.

On the opposite spectrum, Necro = top bugged class and Elementalist = extreme case of “jack of all the trades master of none” but with bad made traits so their stances don’t mesh well enough, only (some) combos are well done. So, reward ends up being minimal compared to the effort.

To me Elementalist is the Magus of Warhammer Online or the Druid of WoW (before WoLTK): for years they’d been problematic classes, any bold update risking to make them OP so they got timid updates that would just show their underlying design frailty even more.

As someone who played a druid back at WoW release up to said point.. I agree with this post (though the WoW example is extreme). It’s amusing how these launches mirror each other so much. Maybe there’s a bit too much of the NIH syndrome going on there.

I don’t disagree with the Guardian being the best well rounded class, it’s just that if that is true (and from my experience seems to true as well), GW2 has a LONG way to go. [Note to the “fast readers”: Well rounded != Super powerful. Guardian seems to be the FOTM profession right now; warriors were at launch.]

Caveat: These examples may not account for underwater combat because there is almost no real balance in underwater combat at the moment.

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

Guys please stop saying warrior I don’t want my class to become fotm again
Everyone roll ele and don’t put anything into toughness or vit

I’d say Warrior. It’s the most solid profession right now. In terms of (few) bugs, playstyles, solid weapons, utilities and elites, and pretty amazing little inner sinergies with traits. It’s a solid PvP profession as well, you definetly see Warriors in top teams, it has a decent skill cap. This is subjective, but it’s an overall amazingly fun profession. You can’t go wrong with this one.

Lithos.9560

I wonder this out for curiosity, what truly makes a Guardian differ from a Warrior. They both have range and melee, and both have heavy armor. But what difference between them makes the other one better?

Posted by: Rick.1378

Rick.1378

Depends on which gameplay sphere you are talking about. Mainly in terms of PVE the Engineer is the best class IMO, they are just incredible if played correctly, virtually indestructible and able to take on any mob, multiple veterans at the same time, champions, etc. They are also incredibly interesting to play, you never get bored playing them. My Engineer was the first to 80 he was so interesting.

I’d say if you like to faceroll thru PVE and don’t like to think much the Warrior is a great non-thinking mans class. I have one at level 60 I thought was going to be my main, but I kind of got bored of him, but I definitely will pick him up again someday. They have great utility which is pretty simple to use, shouts or banners are nice and very uncomplicated.

I also have a 45 warrior and 45 ranger, they are ok but something about them is just not fun, or maybe I just have to dig myself deeper into them. The guardian seems like you just have so many little things to do to make them viable, and I’m sure I’m just a terrible guardian but I haven’t been able to get into them very much. Ranger is just boring as well, basically all I do is shoot arrows and let my pet tank, very powerful if the fight stays on the pet, but not a huge amount of CC and can be a bit of a glass cannon, of course it all depends on the build.

I’ve not built a cloth caster yet other than a level 7 mesmer, but I hear the cloth casters are kind of bad, being glass cannons but not having the superior DPS to offset that.

Posted by: Varyag.3751

Varyag.3751

Paragon – Excellent support, wings, cool dance, awesome armour, javelins and greatly underused; being a Paragon is like belonging to a gentleman’s club.

Ritualist – Very well-rounded, almost like an Engineer from FPS games. An army of spirits destroying any enemy who comes near you is a sight to behold. Plus, their armours are just too kitten cool.

I play Warrior, Guardian, Elementalist and Thief.

Posted by: Player.9621

Player.9621

warrior
ranger
mesmer

ITO

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

In PvE and Worlds PvP, the Ranger is the best profession mainly thanks to the pet. In PvE, the ranger can send the pet to attack one mob, while he attacks another. In dungeons, the pet can work as a tank, while the Ranger is dps/healer. In Worlds PvP, the Ranger has great range skills, and can send the pet to attack past the enemy lines. The Ranger also has some great movement and evade skills on top of that. And some great support skills between the pet and himself, mainly mentioning Healing Spring, Spirit of Nature, utility spirits (although they need a buff), and various pet skills like remove a condition, regeneration, swiftness, and interrupt skills.

In sPvP, the Mesmer is the best thanks to clones and stealth. The clones makes the Mesmer able to escape even the most harry situations, and also makes the Mesmer an extremely powerful 1v1 profession. So much so, that I’ve had many players simply choosing to run away, rather then engaging in a 1v1 fight with me. In group fights the Mesmer can easily remove conditions from allies, and add them to foes, while using clones and phantasms to give a damage advantage to the group. The Mesmer is also fantastic at giving out stealth to allies, and they also have the longest stealth skill from the elite Mass Invisibility (5 seconds). With five stealth skills, the Mesmer also only has one stealth skill less then the Thief (not counting steal).

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

(edited by Kasama.8941)

Posted by: Rafkin.8923

Rafkin.8923

For soloing, Mesmer.

Put out a tank, dps, condition removal illusions and you’re soloing Champions at 80. Takes 15 minutes but still.

Lithos.9560

Well, with my experience with the ranger I have learned that the pet isn’t really that useful, and they die ALL THE TIME. Do you guys think the rangers pets are really that good?…

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

Well, with my experience with the ranger I have learned that the pet isn’t really that useful, and they die ALL THE TIME. Do you guys think the rangers pets are really that good?…

The pet is only as useful as you make it. The pet was weak at first for me, but after I added only 5 trait points in Beastmastery, I could feel that it had more survivability. At level 72, with 20 points in Beastmastery, my owl pet deals more damage then me (I don’t have the best gear) and almost has as much survivability as I do. It’s like playing two against one in PvE. But it’s also important to understand that there’s a learning curve to managing the pet, if you want to get the most out of it. Things like remembering to heal it, picking the right pet for the right situation (especially in dungeons), using the F2 skills frequently, and knowing the limits of what the pet can survive. But you can also choose to leave the pet alone, and just use it for it’s damage bonus, just like a Guardian can choose to not give away his virtues.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

(edited by Kasama.8941)

Lithos.9560

I am now very focused on determining which is overall better, Guardian or Warrior and why?…

Lithos.9560

How is the Necromancer?

Posted by: Arcalas.9368

Arcalas.9368

i play a thief but i say guardian just cuz they have the best all around stuff but range stuff.

Norn “cows” go moot.

Posted by: Arcalas.9368

Arcalas.9368

How is the Necromancer?

i cant describe how much fun necros are. just do the starting event for making one and then go to the mist and try all the weapon combos and skills for the class u might like it.

Norn “cows” go moot.

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Warrior.

Because guns.

Because greatsword.

Because hammer and mace.

Because healing shouts.

Because regen banners (when people don’t steal it)

Because perma-swiftness.

Because of guns.

Oh, and did I mention because of guns?

Seriously, the Warrior is completely awesome!

Posted by: Minus.3478

Minus.3478

I think the engineer. Survivability through cc’s and healing, ranged damage, aoe damage, fulltime sprint, good underwater abilities, and lots of kits to keep things interesting.

However they are stuck with the worst looking armor in the game… medium is such crap looking. Trenchcoat anyone?

Posted by: Shajin.5492

Shajin.5492

I started an Engineer but found it hard to play so rolled a warrior. The warrior out leveled the engineer quickly and did indeed feel powerful. But it was also pretty boring. Run up to a mob, spam a couple skills, go to another one. If I get in trouble I dont have a ton of options to go with, so just try not to get in a bad spot.

I soon switched back to the engineer and decided to at least get to 20 to give it a shot, and found it was really awesome. With warrior, once I learned all the weapon skills, I had a pretty good idea how it would go for a while. With engineer you dont have many weapon skills, so you have to unlock all those slot skills and figure out how they work, and what belt skill they give you and at first it is a bit confusing.

After you get all the slot skills and figure out how to use them, they are so kitten versatile. I love having so many control options and different escapes, or random things. For some people having so much to work with and learn is a big turn off, but for me it is good. I like having more things to work with and learn about. Spamming only 3-4 buttons for hours gets boring fast. Sounds like maybe elementalist fits this bill as well.

Posted by: Hawken.7932

Hawken.7932

I’ve loved both my thief and guardian. I think the thief could use a little more weapon variation, but still a very different and interesting class to play.

Warrior I played in beta and loved that.

I really would love to love ranger — generally I like that type of fantasy archetype, but there’s just something lacking in the need to swap pets all the time in combat. I don’t think it’s a very elegant solution for pet survivability.

Overall I’m pretty happy with all of the classes I’ve tried — they’re all pretty interesting in their own ways.

Posted by: Plague.5329

Plague.5329

Guardian. It’s probably not even close. Other professions might have one or two things about them that make them very annoying, but Guardians have the most versatility in the game combined with some of the most interesting skills in the game.

Take a look at ANet’s twitch videos. What class are they always playing? Guardians. Who do you think gets the most attention and love from them? When someone in chat asks them to play another profession, there’s always a reluctant sigh followed by “Well, I don’t know it very well…” It’s obvious what class is daddy’s favorite.

Posted by: Hawken.7932

Hawken.7932

Guardian. It’s probably not even close. Other professions might have one or two things about them that make them very annoying, but Guardians have the most versatility in the game combined with some of the most interesting skills in the game.

Take a look at ANet’s twitch videos. What class are they always playing? Guardians. Who do you think gets the most attention and love from them? When someone in chat asks them to play another profession, there’s always a reluctant sigh followed by “Well, I don’t know it very well…” It’s obvious what class is daddy’s favorite.

I don’t know though, it’s a matter of taste. I wouldn’t say my guardian is more fun than my thief particularly, but there IS more variety in the guardian class and that’s key. Warrior was also awesome like this, with so many weapon combinations. Thief could easily rival guardian, in my experience, if they just added a couple other weapon options to mix it up now and then.

Posted by: Plague.5329

Plague.5329

Didn’t say it was the most fun. Just that it was the “best,” and that I’m quantifying best as being the profession that can perform the most roles in the most interesting ways possible. I have one, but haven’t bothered with sPvP, which I hear involves using one of two, maybe three builds. All professions seem to have that problem though.

I play mainly my Warrior (or played; haven’t bothered in a while since I’m not having fun), but I don’t really enjoy its gameplay as much as other professions. I invest in it because I feel more connected to that character and the overall aesthetic of being a Warrior, even if it doesn’t play how I’d want it to play. People have all sorts of reasons for enjoying and/or preferring one thing over another, after all.

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

warrior.

warrior has
- heavy armor
- highest health pool

no other professions has that.

guardian
- heavy armor
- lowest health pool

engineer, ranger
- medium armor
- medium health pool

thief – medium armor, lowest health pool
mesmer – light armor, medium health pool

necromancer – light armor, highest health pool

elementalist – light armor, lowest health pool

Lithos.9560

I have heard that the Guardian has much more survivability than the Warrior, and dies less frequently. How true is that?

Posted by: gduber.9756

gduber.9756

Thief.

- Just the concept of a class without the traditional cool-down was what got me addicted to it. It’s a mechanic that should be adopted by every class.

- Mobility. Even without the 25% speed passive, there are other options available to get you from point A to point B very quickly.

- Damage with Heals. Signet of Malice has helped me survive so many encounters where I know my warrior or ele would have been worn down quickly due to little or no healing. Ele has a good healing platform, but you’re dead before you can cast any of the spells.

- Armor. Medium armor is the best-looking in the game right now (coat plague aside). For some reason, I play good looking toons more than bland ones.

On a side note, I really hope Anet fixes at least one of the clothie classes because I’d really love to level one up. I got my ele to 40 and stopped because the only viable pve build was a clunky conjured hammer melee build and my thief/warrior already fills that spot. Deleted about 7 necro toons out of frustration, but it was the class that I wanted to play the most after playing GW1. I’d try Mesmer if the damage was buffed, but leveling a toon that’s really only good for pvp and support in pve isn’t appealing. The animations and the gameplay look fun, though.

Lithos.9560

I have been thinking of making a Ranger. Are they a good class, any better than the mighty Guardian or Warrior?

Lithos.9560

Been playing a warrior, I think they are the best now lol xD

Posted by: Edtheman.2165

Edtheman.2165

There’s no profession best at everything, for certain things some may be better than others. I like Guardian, good at tanking and dealing damage. Good at healing too.

Lithos.9560

Guardian’s health has been reduced to the health of an elementalist. That is why I don’t like them.

Lithos.9560

Okay so I have narrowed it down a bit, it seems that the two most powerful classes at the moment are the Guardian and the Warrior. Which one do you guys think is better? Why?

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

The warrior IMO is the most rounded of all classes, higher than the guardian because they actually have viable ranged options. This becomes extremely important when you start hitting, say, the high level fractals.

Aside from that, I feel they’re the most versatile classes (along with the engineer) in terms of builds and other stuff.

Lithos.9560

That is true the Warrior is superior to the Guardian when it comes to range. And if you think about it, the Warrior can do everything the Guardian can do…any maybe even better.