What do you think of Lion's Arch?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: BattleRattle.5420

BattleRattle.5420

As the title says, what do you think of Lion’s Arch?

I’m asking out of curiosity, as the redesigned la doesn’t really hit my taste. I started playing GW2 in the middle of season 2, but I even prefer the ruined la over the new one, and I find myself not wanting to leave the story instances where you are in the old la.
The new la is nice, but in my opinion it doesn’t even come close to the old one.

But that of cause is only my personal opinion, so I’m curios to what others think. Is it better or worse, or something else?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

One way to find others’ opinions on the New LA would be to use Google to bring up the many threads/posts created at the time of the change.

I don’t really go to LA much as other places are more convenient and take less time to load. Thus, I’m a bit apathetic about the design changes.

Good luck.

Posted by: Nero.8047

Nero.8047

I agree the old LA had more of a personality compared to this one which has a more… Concrete Sea-World-themepark-like feeling.

But as Cedo said, there have been more threads on this topic. :/

Paragon of the Seraphim Order [Ankh]
a small, casual Guild with a play as you want style.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

My opinion is that it’s a bland white concrete imitation of trendy new cities that favors flash over emphasizing actual use by people. The natural gathering spots where people used to stand around, chat and see each other have been removed and the services are so artificially far apart they put in bounce pads to move people from the bank to the TP faster.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I prefer New LA. Many have said it’s like a ‘sea world’ or something, but it is a Nautical city so it should have some nautical theme. And they’ve given the city that, whilst making the city also modern, as the buildings are new, no point using old looking materials when it makes sense in-lore to be new. More modern art sculptures are used too.

And no, I don’t think it should change its name. (Because that’s usually the next question!)

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

I don’t really go to LA much as other places are more convenient and take less time to load.

This. Design-wise, I liked the old one better.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I love it. I hated the old LA. I think the cleaner, modern look is more interesting to me than a shanty pirate town.

I’d like to see more ships in the bay though to give it a more Port-like feel.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I don’t mind it at all.

My heart belongs to original Lion’s Arch in Guild Wars 1. All other versions are just….~shrugs~

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Easy to navigate w/o having to look at my mini map. That’s what I want in a player hub.

Gotta head to the bank, look for the octopus. Gotta head to the TP, look for the giant shell.

My only gripe is the npc’s who have paths that take them right next to the merchants, banker, and TP peeps.

~EW

Posted by: trub.1657

trub.1657

As the title says, what do you think of Lion’s Arch

The ‘New’ Lions Arch would certainly survive… mostly intact… when ‘Bubbles’ comes to call at the docks—-
But, IMHO..the last 2 Lion Arch designs were too cluttered- and dark- even with torches everywhere- it was always hard to see anything.
The White Mantle had the ‘original’ design just right..lots and lots of military barracks
(But leave the beautiful singing fountains we have now please)

I have Splinter Barrage- I am a Ritualist.
I have a pet- I am a Ranger.
I have Avatar of Balthazar- I am a Dervish.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I like most of the new one. I agree that the area around the bank and the TP looks odd, but it is only that area (Trader’s Forum specifically).

The rest of it, especially the Commodore’s Quarter, the streets around the waterfront south of the Grand Piazza and the area around Fort Marriner look very realistic and detailed to me. They remind me of various European seafront towns I’ve visited.

I did like the aesthetic of the old LA but they whole idea there was that it was cobbled together by pirates from whatever they had available, which was mostly ruined ships. It wouldn’t make sense at all for them to have rebuilt it the same way. The new one looks more like a deliberately constructed city, which is exactly what it is.

(Also I’m pretty sure the bank and the TP are about the same distance apart. The buildings might have been closer together in the old LA but remember you had to go from the middle of the bank, down the stairs, across the plaza passed the Mystic Forge, up the other side, over a small bridge, into the TP building and all the way to the back of the room past the chairs to get between the actual NPCs. I’m pretty sure if someone measured it they’d find it took the same amount of time as the new one.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

As the title says, what do you think of Lion’s Arch

The ‘New’ Lions Arch would certainly survive… mostly intact… when ‘Bubbles’ comes to call at the docks—-
But, IMHO..the last 2 Lion Arch designs were too cluttered- and dark- even with torches everywhere- it was always hard to see anything.
The White Mantle had the ‘original’ design just right..lots and lots of military barracks
(But leave the beautiful singing fountains we have now please)

Let’s hope not, it can actually have an interesting look afterward and not this philistine artless architecture (unfortunately redundant as far as modern architecture goes) to it.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Easy to navigate w/o having to look at my mini map. That’s what I want in a player hub.

Gotta head to the bank, look for the octopus. Gotta head to the TP, look for the giant shell.

My only gripe is the npc’s who have paths that take them right next to the merchants, banker, and TP peeps.

~EW

It is more pleasant to get around from the old Lion’s Arch, but getting to services is a chore, because the waypoints are laid out just to be annoying.

Post-Scarlet, Postern Ward, yo. Waypoint in, and it was mere steps to the bank, the Black Lion Trading Post, and the crafting stations. And there were at least two other similar locations with concentrated services. New LA feels designed to waste my time, and I don’t appreciate that.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

I prefer the original GW2 LA. It felt more logical in its setup, easy to get around, whereas the new one deviates so far from what it used to be that I can’t even consider it “Lion’s Arch” anymore, and everything feels so darn cluttered. Nothing makes sense in the new city. Loved the city gates in the old one, where when you exit the hub you are greeted by a large statue of a LION. “Lion’s” Arch. New city is more like “Shell’s Arch” or something. I really dislike trying to complete the LA map now due to how confusing the layout is. It may have “character” but it has no character, if that makes sense. Easily forgettable because it deviated too far from its roots.

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

Posted by: Gardavil.1762

Gardavil.1762

I have an opinion on this I imagine many people will disagree with, but since Lion’s Arch and what it’s gone through matters to me as a player I will share my thoughts. I also realize this is meaningless since the Devs do as they please with no regard for the Players and their thoughts (It has always been this way in MMOs)… but hey why not share.

When GW2 launched and I first saw Lion’s Arch and learned how it was rebuilt from the age of GW Prophecies by Pirates and Sailors I feel in love with the place again (first time was in GW). I loved the nautical AND Caribbean atmosphere and made it my character’s home base.

Then real life stepped in and I had to take a break from GW2, and when I got back it was just after Scarlett had taken a blowtorch to the LA… and my most favorite of MMO virtual cities was ash and bones. I was as a player so upset at what the Devs did I quit the game completely.

Now I’m back and I see what they did to the place, not bad, but nothing to write home about in my opinion… tons of concrete and steel and fancy glass… Yuck. It doesn’t feel like a Guild Wars town, to me it doesn’t fit in the game, it kind of feels like some United Nations Staff members and their Pages walked into Anet and told them how to make a MMO city, it feels political and dirty even though it clean and bland… And all the while underneath all that concrete and steel is the ashes of the old LA, and the bones of those who died defending her.

In my opinion it would have been more honorable and more fitting to let the Jungle take back the land then to have the city rebuilt looking like a modern sterilized bland city. Lion’s Arch always had a wild spirit in it’s previous versions but now it’s been tamed and in the process it’s lost that something that made it special…. in my opinion.

stumble stumble crawl crawl

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I don’t personally care for the look of it, generally speaking. Some areas are lovely (that memorial area with the waterfalls), but others (lobster) leave much to be desired. However, since LA is a lightning rod for attacks, it was in their best interest to not rebuild all the structures out of extremely flammable, old pieces of ships. LA as it is now is more structurally sound (except for the glass domes they have over heavily populated areas of the zone) and more likely to be able to survive an attack.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I don’t personally care for the look of it, generally speaking. Some areas are lovely (that memorial area with the waterfalls), but others (lobster) leave much to be desired. However, since LA is a lightning rod for attacks, it was in their best interest to not rebuild all the structures out of extremely flammable, old pieces of ships. LA as it is now is more structurally sound (except for the glass domes they have over heavily populated areas of the zone) and more likely to be able to survive an attack.

They could have gone with a tough substantive fortress layout with lots of rocks and metals. Something with the same basic style as the Black Citadel with bolts and metal but with more mariner and pirate influences with teals, aquamarines, and pinks in places and navy blues in others. So something structurally tough, with character, but marine colors. There’s too much white sterile concrete in real life.

Moyayuki.3619

I have an opinion on this I imagine many people will disagree with, but since Lion’s Arch and what it’s gone through matters to me as a player I will share my thoughts. I also realize this is meaningless since the Devs do as they please with no regard for the Players and their thoughts (It has always been this way in MMOs)… but hey why not share.

When GW2 launched and I first saw Lion’s Arch and learned how it was rebuilt from the age of GW Prophecies by Pirates and Sailors I feel in love with the place again (first time was in GW). I loved the nautical AND Caribbean atmosphere and made it my character’s home base.

Then real life stepped in and I had to take a break from GW2, and when I got back it was just after Scarlett had taken a blowtorch to the LA… and my most favorite of MMO virtual cities was ash and bones. I was as a player so upset at what the Devs did I quit the game completely.

Now I’m back and I see what they did to the place, not bad, but nothing to write home about in my opinion… tons of concrete and steel and fancy glass… Yuck. It doesn’t feel like a Guild Wars town, to me it doesn’t fit in the game, it kind of feels like some United Nations Staff members and their Pages walked into Anet and told them how to make a MMO city, it feels political and dirty even though it clean and bland… And all the while underneath all that concrete and steel is the ashes of the old LA, and the bones of those who died defending her.

In my opinion it would have been more honorable and more fitting to let the Jungle take back the land then to have the city rebuilt looking like a modern sterilized bland city. Lion’s Arch always had a wild spirit in it’s previous versions but now it’s been tamed and in the process it’s lost that something that made it special…. in my opinion.

Even though I never played GW1, and therefore don’t know much about the backstory of LA, I agree with many of your points here. When the city was left in shambles for months and months and months, and we slowly heard news about ANet deciding on what the new city would look like, I really deep down hoped that it would be an improved version of how it was before Scarlett. Instead…it was done completely from scratch and doesn’t resemble the city at all. As others have said, it feels more like a themepark than a real city.

Just a flesh wound.3589

If it’s attacks they were worried about, I don’t think it’s more structurally sound. There’s wide open pathways leading right into the center of the city with its administrative buildings and personel. There are no chokepoints. No way to close off the city to people who get past any defenses. If the water dragon were to send a wave into the city it would go right through and over the buildings through those open corridors. It’s like they only looked at air defense and didn’t consider land or water invasions.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Lite Ning Strike.5203

Lite Ning Strike.5203

I liked Old Lions Arch better but would settle for additional Waypoints added to simplify moving around.

The First and Only Blaq Sheep

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Too spread out but it looks nice. Trolls Revenge could use a few checkpoints added like the Lab assistant in Spekk’s Lab JP.

EphemeralWallaby.7643

If it’s attacks they were worried about, I don’t think it’s more structurally sound. There’s wide open pathways leading right into the center of the city with its administrative buildings and personel. There are no chokepoints. No way to close off the city to people who get past any defenses. If the water dragon were to send a wave into the city it would go right through and over the buildings through those open corridors. It’s like they only looked at air defense and didn’t consider land or water invasions.

They’re more clever than that… should the water dragon send that wave, the Mecha-Octopus (holding all our money), Mecha Snail (holding all our potential money), and the Mecha-Lobster (holding all the tour-guide’s self-esteem) will activate and spring into action!

Not only that, when the battle will look like it’s lost, they’ll combine into one giant mecha-creature, picking up the Starfish Shield out of the Trader’s Forum and the Lighthouse Spear from Sanctum Harbor.

In this grand battle, all our hopes and our money will be on the line.

LA Kaiju-fighting mecha-action FTW!

~EW

Just a flesh wound.3589

They’re more clever than that… should the water dragon send that wave, the Mecha-Octopus (holding all our money), Mecha Snail (holding all our potential money), and the Mecha-Lobster (holding all the tour-guide’s self-esteem) will activate and spring into action!

Not only that, when the battle will look like it’s lost, they’ll combine into one giant mecha-creature, picking up the Starfish Shield out of the Trader’s Forum and the Lighthouse Spear from Sanctum Harbor.

In this grand battle, all our hopes and our money will be on the line.

LA Kaiju-fighting mecha-action FTW!

~EW

I think it’s a lot more likely they’ll pull a Gnashblade and flee through the nearest portal with all our money and goods, slamming the portal closed in the face of panicked civilians as they try to escape too.

ANet may give it to you.

EphemeralWallaby.7643

I think it’s a lot more likely they’ll pull a Gnashblade and flee through the nearest portal with all our money and goods, slamming the portal closed in the face of panicked civilians as they try to escape too.

Wow, if they did that then that’d make Eternity’s Guard / Dragon’s Watch / The Unbroken look a little silly standing there in their brand new single-colored spandex onesies.

(good luck getting that image out of your mind)

~EW

(edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643)

Just a flesh wound.3589

Wow, if they did that then that’d make Eternity’s Guard / Dragon’s Watch / The Unbroken look a little silly standing there in their brand new single-colored spandex onesies.

~EW

The Dragon’s Watch, watching the waves at the LA beach. Waiting for the invasion of the water dragon (when they will be able to do absolutely nothing to stop it and will probably all drown so we have to get another group of heroes as sidekicks).

Attachments:

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

~EW

New in the Gem Store: Braham’s Yellow Sentai Onesie Outfit!
And the big seller: Kasmeer’s Pink Sentai Onesie Outfit! (previously worn~)

So I guess Marjory gets black, Rytlock gets red, Taimi gets blue, and ..oh, right, Rox. Her and her gigantic anime eyes gets the green.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Moyayuki.3619

~EW

New in the Gem Store: Braham’s Yellow Sentai Onesie Outfit!
And the big seller: Kasmeer’s Pink Sentai Onesie Outfit! (previously worn~)

So I guess Marjory gets black, Rytlock gets red, Taimi gets blue, and ..oh, right, Rox. Her and her gigantic anime eyes gets the green.

I know we are derailing the original conversation by now, but…what is up with Rox’s face, anyway? Doesn’t match with the rest of the GW2 art style at all…

Posted by: WWWWWWWW.6742

WWWWWWWW.6742

I think it LA would look much better if we had a farther LOS.

That loading screen is the weakest low effort thing I’ve ever seen though and I hate it.

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

I think they should have made it more player convenient. Bank and Guild bank together, with Trading Post nearby, more like Divinity’s Reach. Yes, there are waypoints and jumping pads, but that isn’t as convenient as a few steps or short jaunt across a courtyard.

As far as the looks, what they came up with would not have been my first choice. Too modern looking, agree with what others have said about it feeling like a theme park.

Posted by: Bandini.6185

Bandini.6185

I prefer by far the old LA : more personnality and much more convenient.

Posted by: Welcometotheden.8547

Welcometotheden.8547

The old version had more character. The new one is nice and shiny, but ‘concrete water park’ is an apt way of describing it. It just seems too open, like a lot of space was being wasted on aesthetics. The old way, the layout seemed more purposeful…build what you can, where you can.

I’d like to see it underwater, really. haha.

~ The Cult of the Six Symbols ~

Posted by: Tipper.6973

Tipper.6973

I love the look of the buildings, but hate the city. Why? It’s way too OPEN!

I’d prefer if it felt like a crowded, bustling trade hub. Instead it feels like a big roller-hockey rink with random merchants standing around.

Add a bunch of streets and buildings with the current textures and styles, and it would be perfect.

Overall, I prefer old LA.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I know we are derailing the original conversation by now, but…what is up with Rox’s face, anyway? Doesn’t match with the rest of the GW2 art style at all…

As I recall from when she debuted, the comments from ANet were along the lines of “she’s young and big eyes denote youth so we did that to emphasize that she’s young.”

Regarding LA, I do feel it’s a soulless theme park. I also feel that this is intentional and done for plot reasons involving the Consortium. It is exactly the city the Consortium would build.

I’m not sure I hope for another LA destruction. There comes a time when that story’s been told enough a’ready. Yet with the surging ley lines rising in the city’s heart, it does seem possible the devs have pulled an enormous fast one and have another design ready to go when this one crumbles.

If so, I cross my fingers most fervently that the Commodore’s Quarter remains. I find that a charming residential and business area. It’s where the soul went to hide.

Posted by: Dave.6819

Dave.6819

you know i totally agree with you that old LA was alot cooler. it had some kind of a feeling to it. it was totally GW2. but i think its the other thing also. old LA was totally for me those good old times of GW2 before the expansion when things were quite healthy. new LA represents to me HoT. and i completely hated HoT and quitted the game. so overall i think its not just that old LA was cooler and had more feeling to it but its just…. HoT. HoT kinda ruined some good stuff. GW2 will never be the same xD haha. abit overly dramatic but yes. i think that’s the main reason why i think old LA was alot better.

Thief prof. really needs your attention
#dyingbreed

Posted by: particlepinata.9865

particlepinata.9865

Loved the Gw 1 La, the Gw 2 first version was nice. Not a fan of the new one. Its just like Disney park to me. Doesnt have character in my opinion and too generic.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Guild Wars LA was amazing. I still love just walking around there when I play GW. LA in GW2 was not to my liking at all. I hated it, I was so happy to see it burn. The new LA is nice, but it will never take the place of GW LA.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Moyayuki.3619

As I recall from when she debuted, the comments from ANet were along the lines of “she’s young and big eyes denote youth so we did that to emphasize that she’s young.”

Regarding LA, I do feel it’s a soulless theme park. I also feel that this is intentional and done for plot reasons involving the Consortium. It is exactly the city the Consortium would build.

I’m not sure I hope for another LA destruction. There comes a time when that story’s been told enough a’ready. Yet with the surging ley lines rising in the city’s heart, it does seem possible the devs have pulled an enormous fast one and have another design ready to go when this one crumbles.

If so, I cross my fingers most fervently that the Commodore’s Quarter remains. I find that a charming residential and business area. It’s where the soul went to hide.

First time I’ve ever heard that “large eyes denote youth”. Plenty of Char in the game that don’t have big eyes but you can tell that they are young. Also, wouldn’t this mindset mean that all Asura are…young…? Lol

Somehow, I doubt that Anet will redesign LA again. It took them a really long time just to design and “build” the current version.

Posted by: Torvic.8256

Torvic.8256

I like the current GW2 Lion’s Arch. There was something about pre-Scarlet GW2 Lion’s Arch that just made me uneasy.

As for GW1 Lion’s Arch: though it was purported to be a capital city, it never really felt to be more than a glorified encampment. Granted, all the large buildings and such could be seen far off in the distance, but not ever being able to come close to them established a real feeling of disconnect to a major city feel.

By contrast, the large cities of GW2 – particularly Divinity’s Reach – truly feel like major cities!

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

I love it. I hated the old LA. I think the cleaner, modern look is more interesting to me than a shanty pirate town.

I’d like to see more ships in the bay though to give it a more Port-like feel.

I agree with this. While the old LA had its charm, I personally prefer this new sleeker look. It just feels like a more refined city now.

NSPride <3

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Disneyland is not “refined”…

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Disneyland is not “refined”…

Now the next time I take the LA tour, I wanna see a Charr and Asura dressed up as Beauty and the Beast (respectively) giving a balloon to a Norn wearing mouse ears.

If that needs some refinement I’m sure we can get a Sylvari to sing while dressed up as a fine porcelain tea cup.

~EW

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

First time I’ve ever heard that “large eyes denote youth”. Plenty of Char in the game that don’t have big eyes but you can tell that they are young. Also, wouldn’t this mindset mean that all Asura are…young…? Lol

Somehow, I doubt that Anet will redesign LA again. It took them a really long time just to design and “build” the current version.

I agree with you on both points. I was simply reporting what I remember of the excuse for her eyes. As to the redesign, yes, it would be a ton of work unless that was part of the work they had already done. Maybe it took that long due to the need to craft more than one version? I’m not advocating for this, only extrapolating a possibility.

They knew it was a soulless themepark, though, they put that tour guide in there to reflect what people were saying. I feel there must be a reason beyond “we think this design looks cool.” It could be nothing more complicated than “the Consortium has the resources to rebuild, this is the sort of thing the Consortium would build, and there can be architectural eyesores in game just as there can be RL.”

edit: found a quote from a Rox artist lead — the direct link to post leads to an error but the quoter kindly had the text in this post: http://charr-smash.tumblr.com/post/46483812956

(edited by Donari.5237)

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

The new L.A. is serviceable. It has the various services for which I, at times, visit a city.

but,

it lacks that character of the old version. Sure its cleaner. Sure its more streamlined to the eye. But, so much character was lost in the process.

The old LA had the vibe of a semi-piratical, or recently risen above piracy, freeport with a devil may care, wide open, almost a wild west, vibe. The new one reminds me of Disneyland or some similarly structured to move people about in accord with some hidden design amusement park.

Posted by: Shaaba.5672

Shaaba.5672

New LA doesn’t have the charm and personality of old LA. What I do like about LA now is the Mediterranean feel of the housing – I really do love that new aspect of the city. The memorial is really lovely. What I don’t like is pretty much anything in the grand plaza area, or the sea themed buildings. The mosaics and gold fish as decorative elements I actually like, but that’s where the sea theme should have stopped. It feels over designed.

I really hate the new festival plaza – it doesn’t fit with the rest of the city and there are no lions anywhere. I was disappointed by the Halloween decorations because they looked sanitized. Carts and carts of candy corn everywhere, but they took out the more rustic and creepier decorations because it didn’t fit their new aesthetic. So that’s the real crime for me – it didn’t feel Halloweeny enough and Halloween is my favorite holiday. I got the sads when I remembered how awesome old LA looked all dressed up for the season.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

I don’t care much about the aesthetics or design (although I do prefer the look of the old LA), it’s the convenience of the various services that matters. In that regard, this city is an abysmal failure. Far too much space and nothing going on in it.

The shabbily rebuilt LA with those little hubs of crafting stations, banking and the TP situated near the fractal portal, mystic forge and guild services was far better than what we have now.

Rata Sum has the best layout, imo. Trust the Asura to get things done right.

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

I think the main problem with LA is that the markets and crafting area where people spend most of their time don’t look much like a city.

The waterfront and bridges are excellent, as is the Commodore’s Quarter. There are surprisingly few MMO cities that have a credible answer to the question “where do all the citizens live?”
LA is now among them, joining only DR, Ebonhawke and Hoelbrak in GW2. The charr actually have more living spaces in their outposts than in the Black Citadel, and I get the impression asura live in their labs.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I absolutely adore the ocean creature themes for the buildings. I am a HUGE fan of underwater creatures. Like, when I was a kid, fish and other underwater creatures were my thing. Some kids have dinosaurs, or robots, or monsters, or whatever. Not that I dislike all of those things either, but fish were always my favorite things. They’re what I’d draw, my favorite childhood books were fish related, and the first pets I wanted were fish.

And they still are, though not quite to the extent of a child. I’ve got a fish tank in my room, one of my dream vacations is the great barrier reef…

So yeah. I love them.

But I can see why others might find them silly. Heck, even Anet themselves knew that it was silly on some level, since you have some of the NPCs in the game poking fun at it (off the top of my head, there’s a Charr that says something like “Yeah, I’m sure it was really necessary to make your building shaped like on octopus” and another pair of NPCs who have a discussion about the odd shape of the fortress, eventually leading to the Charr of the pair saying “Burn me, its a stingray”).

Still love it myself, though. And I think it fits just fine with the nature of the city. Its a nautical city, so an ocean creature theme fits there. Its a gathering place for all races AND a place that most tourists either visit or pass through, so it makes sense to make it showy and make it seem like its a fusion of different construction types. And yah, its not a ramshackle pirate town any more, but that makes sense too, since they rebuilt it specifically to be more defensible and sturdy after having it destroyed. Concrete and steel are far more sturdy than a bunch of broken down ships nailed together.

And gameplay-wise, as a few have brought up, having distinctly shaped buildings makes it easier to navigate.

All that said, while I love the new LA design-wise, I will agree with many who say that its not exactly the most convenient in terms of gamplay. The most used conveniences like the bank and TP are a little too far apart, and the waypoints don’t help much either. Heck, they could probably fix the problem entirely by just adding waypoints to the TP and maybe the crafting center (though its not really that time consuming to go from the bank WP to the crafting section). Its not THAT bad by any means, though. Heck, I think its probably pretty similar to the original LA in terms of convenience, people just got used to the destroyed LA where everything was literally on top of each other.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I don’t really go to LA much as other places are more convenient and take less time to load.

This. Design-wise, I liked the old one better.

Other places were more convenient at launch, too. I’ve never been a fan of LA as a hub.

However, I love the new visual design — it’s full of really gorgeous elements, especially using wide-view and maxed out graphics. The old LA was good, too — I like the new one better, because it’s brighter, more open, and feels more like a vast city rather than a bunch of cramped ships.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”