What does Laurel Symbol mean?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

I found this while watching youtube and realized it was very similar to Laurel icon. What mean?

Attachments:

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Laurels are a plant.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

Laurels were used in events and competitions in places like Greece to symbolize victory in these events. Think of a very leafy crown.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurel_wreath

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

(edited by DigitalKirin.9714)

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

Something to do with Phoebus/Apollo, a snake/dragon, killing it and the creation of the Olympics. But that’s only the prequel. Laurels came from a tree that used to be a nymph (forgot name). The god was obsessed with said nymph and chased her all over the place. To escape him her pops turned her into a laurel tree.

Dunno if that was what you were looking for or not. I’m missing some details from the story but it’s based on greek mythos.

Devona’s Rest

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

wow had no idea it was “real”

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

more or less what the above posters said (i’d know, being greek and all)

the nymph’s name was most likely Daphne (which is the greek word for the plant) but i can’t say i actually remember off hand

additionally: “resting on your laurels” means growing complacent and (sometimes) abusing rewards and favour for past achievements

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Now you know. And knowing is the half of the battle that doesn’t include red and blue lasers.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

wow had no idea it was “real”

Sheltered life? Any movie or documentary on Ancient Greeks should have had Laurel wreaths in them.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

more or less what the above posters said (i’d know, being greek and all)

the nymph’s name was most likely Daphne (which is the greek word for the plant) but i can’t say i actually remember off hand

additionally: “resting on your laurels” means growing complacent and (sometimes) abusing rewards and favour for past achievements

I bet many people are sitting on their laurels. :P

Posted by: eleshazar.6902

eleshazar.6902

Yeah summation of what the others said. It is a plant, the origin of the plant according to Greek mythology was Apollo falling for the Nymph Daphne and chasing her all around the earth. In order to escape being “taken” by Apollo she prays to her father (a river god) and he transforms her into a Laurel tree. Apollo is still in love with her and takes the Laurel leaves (the symbol) to be his sacred tree and from there people start to use Laurel’s in all sorts of Greek rituals.

A lot of Western culture comes down to us from the Greeks, so the prevalence of the Laurel is still alive and well. You will see it often on country/patriotic/religious symbols.

Source: Ancient Greek minor (included Greek culture/mythology classes). If you want to see the original source you can read the Ovid’s Metomorpheses which has the myth in it from the Latin tradition.

All professions level 80| Champion Paragon, Phantom, Genius
Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] | Rank 80

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

My maiden name was DesLauriers, French for “of the laurel”. It’s not even a proper last name; sometime in the mists of history one of my ancestors was rewarded for something and just kept the title as their name from then on.

Like if you changed your last name to “Omnomnomnivore”.

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

My maiden name was DesLauriers, French for “of the laurel”. It’s not even a proper last name; sometime in the mists of history one of my ancestors was rewarded for something and just kept the title as their name from then on.

Like if you changed your last name to “Omnomnomnivore”.

Wouldn’t it be DesOmnomnomnivore? ^^

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

The laurel wreath was also used to crown victorious Roman generals, including Julius Caesar, in a ceremonial parade known as the triumph. Later, the Roman emperors reserved both the wreath and the triumph for their own use, and their crowns were shaped like laurel wreaths.

It is still used figuratively as a title – for example “Poet Laureate”.

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Laurels (or wreaths) were even used for winning events such as car races and the like up until the mid-90’s, from what I remember. Maybe some people still do it, but now it’s seen as very old-fashioned. I kind of miss seeing the fake wreath (oversized laurel) being thrown over the driver’s heads on the podium. Now they’re just presented with a trophy and celebratory bottle of plonk, which leads to everyone on the podium being sprayed.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: BladeNinja.4671

BladeNinja.4671

Well that explains why all the items (laurel related) are past related items

Aura Slicer X Thief. Pvp svr 007 Oh wait! i’m not suppose to tell you that!