What happened ? I just don’t find any real reason to play

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

Oh leave it be, Trouble was obviously only out to make trouble. What’s in a name?µ

And FYI, boredom is not directly proportional to the amount of content. They can add a load of content that doesn’t interest you whatsoever and you’ll still be bored. Or maybe add only a small little thing that makes all the difference to you.

For goodness sake, why is this always a struggle? It’s a free to play game. You get bored, you take a break from it. It’s that simple really.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: Rynn.1324

Rynn.1324

Fortify your rear openings, because I’m about to blow your minds.

I absolutely love GW2’s content update format.

I know what you’re all thinking. “Woah woah woah. This is a forum. Go take that ‘positive’ nonsense elsewhere.” But it’s the truth. Practically every other MMORPG I’ve played has kept shoving gear treadmill after gear treadmill down my throat. Instead, about twice per month, GW2 throws new stuff at me to do. I’m looking at you non-specific RPG Franchise Game, Mr. “Item levels are now over twice the character level.” I feel like a bloody hamster playing that game. The Evil Which Will Not Be Named is much the same, as are several others. Only one other (horror-themed) MMORPG really goes the same route as GW2…kinda. I play that game for the awesome setting and storytelling, but sadly most people just relegate it to a dungeon grinder, which is sad.

But back to GW2, the game is one of the few where you can just log in and play. The only MMORPG that has given me that feeling is City of Heroes (God rest its soul, also, die in a fire, NCSoft). Though there is a bit of an asterisk; if you completely eschew pvp in all its forms, that’s going to put a bit of a damper on things. You can’t ignore half the game without feeling its effects.

I don’t really grind in this game as much as I just log in and do whatever strikes my fancy. Which seems to be working, as I’m currently at 3/8 ascended armor. I log in, play, achievement hunt, pvp, wvw, craft, do jumping puzzles, and hopefully go play with whatever is happening currently with the living story. It’s not perfect, but it’s still infinitely better than logging into the competition and thinking “What dungeon do I want to grind today?”

[Tarnished Coast] Lizzibeth Huffles, Asuran Genius (Engineer) at Play

(edited by Rynn.1324)

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

I’ve been away from the game for quite a while now. I can’t see myself playing again any time soon.
However, give it another few years, and it might be worth revisiting.

The problem all MMOs have is that on release, while there may seem to be a lot of content, players will burn through it very quickly. After that, if someone continues to play, they have to face the reality that they WILL be playing the same content over and over again.

For me, Guild Wars 2 lost its sheen quite quickly, as while the content is initially engaging, it doesn’t offer enough variety to remain interesting over extended play-throughs.
And the problem with new content added by ArenaNet is that the actual content has been very short in regards play-time. First-time completion takes an hour or less in most cases. After that, ArenaNet rely heavily on excessive repetition in order to gain rewards.

Some people like that.

Personally I can’t stand it.
I find GW2 relies far too heavily on achievements which promote this repetition, and I honestly think they’re the worst thing that has happened to the game. They promote quickfire development of lighter content that needs to be repeated ad infinitum.

But it’s obviously proving more profitable for ArenaNet to stick to this type of development than spend more time making deeper, more rewarding content. And note that by “rewarding”, I’m not meaning loot. I’m meaning that content as it stands has very little sense of accomplishment when it’s the 300th time you’ve completed it.

So I’ll give it a few years and drop in to see how, if at all the game has improved.

I’ve recently done the same with Dungeons & Dragons Online, a game that I initially bought when it came out seven years ago. At the time, it didn’t have enough to maintain my interest, but now there’s a wealth of content to enjoy, sufficiently varied enough to keep me interested for a while at least.

So if you’re not enjoying the day-to-day grind of GW2, simply stop playing and do something else. Come back when it’s had a chance to mature, and you may find yourself enjoying it again.

All MMOs on release must be regarded as still very much in development. GW2 is still there. It’s not an excuse, but you’ll have more fun if you leave it alone for a while.
The other benefit is that coming back to a game after many years, most if not all of the obnoxious players should have disappeared. Only those with a vested interest will remain.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: Mosharn.8357

Mosharn.8357

So just because you don’t like it it doesn’t count? You claimed that there were no new content, which is clearly completely false. They have also added new mob-types, new crafting materials, new armors, new weapons, new crafting tier. Several new systems and so on. The list is rather long.

And all the temporary content from the Living Story is still content, even if it is not available at this time. It still took time and resources to create. That means new content basically twice a month for most of the games life.

Grinding would be repeating the same thing over and over and over and over again. I don’t really see that in GW2. Sure you CAN do it that way, but in order to progress, you don’t HAVE to do it that way. Thus no mandatory grind.
The fact that people seem to love to force grind upon themselves isn’t really the games fault though.

If you need an incentive (beyond liking the game) to play, then maybe you don’t actually like the game? I still play those old RTS-games from the 90s and none of those have really changed at all since then, and yet I still find them fun to play, even though I have done the same thing over and over and over and over and over again.

They have added NOTHING to play for. These minor things that should have been in the game when it came out were being given to us so long after release. There is no incentive to play after you play and do everything the game offers which is around 1k-1.5k hours. Everything new that got added introduced a grind to the game. There is no end game after you fight all the world bosses and do every dungeon. After that its all repetitive.

All the living story stuff that has been introduced since release was easily able to be done withing 1-5 hours. Some of it was the same thing but in a different place of the map and different npcs. Every new map they added for pvp/wvw isnt used for them. Everyone hates skyhammer and barley anyone plays spirit watch and the new deathmatch map is just there for randomness. Deathmatch isnt even implemented into the game and who releases a new mode with one single map?!?!?! As for edge its just for karma farming as it does nothing for wvw. Its all zergs there and nothing more. Regular wvw is still the same since release and tpvp is the same since release.

Pve has gotten southsun the map no one really cares to go to and that is pretty much it for new areas added to the pve world map. Fractals lost support so long ago and the skins are bore grind of repetitiveness.

This list you speak of is just full of minor things the game was supposed to come with during release. Other games that have had less hype have made more content in the past 2 years than this game. Ive spent about $100+ in gems to support but It didn’t even get used for this game most likely.

If this game wants to get anywhere and have more people playing it then they have to release PERMANENT ACTUAL CONTENT or its not going anywhere. When that happens im sure a lot of old players and new players will visit the game. till then enjoy your repetitive fest.

Mosharn.8357

Oh and they need to stop listening to every little thing people cry about balance on the forums for certain builds. This game is full of no skill cheese builds now because of that weakness of anets balance team.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

Pve has gotten southsun the map no one really cares to go to and that is pretty much it for new areas added to the pve world map. Fractals lost support so long ago and the skins are bore grind of repetitiveness.

If this game wants to get anywhere and have more people playing it then they have to release PERMANENT ACTUAL CONTENT or its not going anywhere. When that happens im sure a lot of old players and new players will visit the game. till then enjoy your repetitive fest.

Bolded part is the problem with permanent content…its great and all, while it’s fresh after that it becomes boring and people stop playing it.
Whether the content is permanent or not, once it loses it’s new sheen, people stop playing it.

frequent updates of temporary content help with that, to me. because the content doesnt stick around long enough for the playerbase to get bored with.

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

I will not argue that work hasn’t been done to GW2. However the majority of what I see in your overlong list is polish, not content. There is a difference. Even Anet labeled its latest “Feature Pack” as polish, not content.

Yeah it does not seem like much since “content” is a relative term here and it is not a complete list.
Let me fix the list with some highlights

General Changes
- Magic find changes (accountbound stat now) and its new mechanics
- Critical damage change into ferocity
- New combat visuals, like damage markers and AoE signs for worldbosses
Introduction of ascended armors and weapons
- Upgrade to the ascended and legendary rarities, like acountbound and stat switching
New crafting levels with new recipes
- Complete revamp of sigils and runes
- looking for group tool
- Lot`s of UI changes, like in PvP, WvW etc…
- Trait and Tooltips now show exact numbers
- The Megaserver system
- Repair and retrait costs removed
There is now a wardrobe in game

PvE
Tequattle is now a Hardcore Boss
o He drops unique items and themed ascended weapons and armor
New Hardcore Worldboss “Tripple Trouble”
o A three headed Worm, which needs around 150 coordinated player
o Has its own unique mechanics and rewards (hardest boss in game right now)
- Worldbosses got a reward overhaul as well as a timer to make them more challenging
There is a new path in the Twilight Arbor Dungeon, themed around the living story season 1 for lvl 80 characters
Twilight Arbor got unique skin drops *
*Fractals got an upgrade

Three new Fractals
Molten Alliance
Aetherblades
Thaumanova Reactor
Two new Boss Fractals
Molten Berserker
Mai Trin
o Bosses appear after every run
o Fractallvl is now accountwide
Starting at lvl 31 you get punished with an handicap called Mistlock
o Rework of Agony
o Reward reworked
- The Living Story Season 1 has concluded, leaving in its wake:
The destruction of Lions Arch
All LA unique facilities have been moved to vigil keep
Kessex Hills got redesigned after they introduced the tower of nightmares, which was a giant construction in the lake
There are new events in the world, based on remnants of the living story
New items were introduced
Watchwork sprockets
Poison pollen etc.

WvW
- The Borderlands got a complete overhaul and a new “Bloodlust” mechanic
o There is now less water on the map, but some nice ruins and objectives to capture
- The rewards got updated to reflect changes in the game
- The WvW UI got a drastic overhaul, offering real time data
- The obsidian sanctum is now a separate zone you can log into.
o It got expanded to cater to the Guild vs Guild people
o You have the ability to party up with other servers people to finish the puzzle
- A new Map was introduced called “Edge of the Mists”
o It is always available, even if all other WvW maps are full
o It resets every two hours
o Has unique objectives
o Teammembers are based on the color they represent in WvW right now and not on server
o WvW rank is now acountbound

PvP
- Glory and armor rewards have been removed in favour of a new system
- Costs for Ranks have been adjusted
A Complete new rewardsystem which allows for gold and items of PvE
New Arenatype: Duell

Classes
- A lot of balancing
A new Healskill for every class
- The Traitsystem got a complete overhaul
o Every class got 5 new grandmaster traits
o Some traits get only unlocked after you explored the world in PvE
- Critical Damage has been removed and got exchanged for a new stat: “Ferocity”

Gemstore
- A few UI Improvements
- New Hairtypes in the stylingkit
- You can now buy unlimited finisher to punish your enemies
- New Booster
- New Armors in the shop

Yeah, a lot is polish, but the complete addition of Fractals, Soutsun Cove and the LS (even if temporary) provided a lot of content over the past year. These are just the things that have stayed permanently.
It does not feel like much and right now without the LS it feels rather “empty” for the players who experienced most of the content allready, however that does not mean that there not enough change…

Mosharn.8357

Bolded part is the problem with permanent content…its great and all, while it’s fresh after that it becomes boring and people stop playing it.
Whether the content is permanent or not, once it loses it’s new sheen, people stop playing it.

frequent updates of temporary content help with that, to me. because the content doesnt stick around long enough for the playerbase to get bored with.

What i was trying to say is the things that are permanent are ignored. The only reason people ever went to southsun was during the event that came with it. It is basically remnants of an event. There is no functionality to southsun since then. There is no reason to go there.(besides the orinode that used to be there and karka queen once in a while now) It is basically nothing that added anything to the game in the term of permanent content.

The temporary content this game has introduced was easily completed within an hour or a couple hours and then you couldn’t do anything with it. With permanent content least you can go back to it and check stuff out or explore the other things that can be introduced later on.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

The cash-shop focus happened.

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

One of the problems that Anet is having with GW2 is that a lot of the player base were avid fans of GW1, including myself. Anet put out 2 extra campaigns 1 and 2 years after the first campaign was released. This spoiled a lot of the players since two extra campaigns within 2 years of the first release is an enormous amount of content. Translating that expectation over to GW2, which has had significantly less content compared to GW1, has of course meant disappointment.

Mosharn.8357

dat list doe

Everything in that list is full of reworks, bug fixes, minuscule changes to already things in the game that were horribly boring, rework to teq and addition of the wurm, fractals, useless map called southsun.

wvw bloodlust mechanic is barley given a thought about and achieving it is like doing every boring thing this games pvp offers which is anets fetish for standing on cap circles. Eotm.. just dont plz.

I wouldn’t call it balancing more like making non-skill related builds more easy to play for the new pvpers to crutch on. Since most of the changes so far have been made because of ‘’X class of I cry long time plz nerf anet’’ threads. Spvps new mode that features one laughable map. Who releases a game mode with a single map. If they wanted things to be tested why not make a test server to introduce new things on to see how people like them rather than showing us in the real game and if it sucks its ignored.

Gemstore is gemstore the money put in there doesn’t seem to be going towards improvement of the game since we have no real content that lasts more than 3-4 hours tops.

Map look changes don’t add anything significant to the game content wise so I don’t know why you bothered to list those.

Most of the things you listed have no real relevance to content that we can play. Its just add ons to UI. The only content you listed includes fractals, boss revamp(#zergallday#swag#yolo#anetfanboi), southsun. The only thing that gave content and i mean REAL content was fractals and those can be highly expanded on but anet hasn’t given a rats kitten about them for a long time now. Southsun has no meaning other than zergin karka queen then leaving map. Boss revamps didn’t do much as the boss fights are zerg fests and only require ppl to zerg to certain areas at certain times to work(teq, wurm).

They need content. Permanent content. They need solo player stuff that requires you the player to use your brain and not run with a hundred other lazy people that just run in a zerg pressing 1 and F. Until then this game has nothing but a couple hours of temporary content that comes in once every 2 weeks. Which of those 2 weeks the content can be done within a day.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

One of the problems that Anet is having with GW2 is that a lot of the player base were avid fans of GW1, including myself. Anet put out 2 extra campaigns 1 and 2 years after the first campaign was released. This spoiled a lot of the players since two extra campaigns within 2 years of the first release is an enormous amount of content. Translating that expectation over to GW2, which has had significantly less content compared to GW1, has of course meant disappointment.

While not a huge GW1 fan there name Anet they had with the B2P model was indeed something that did draw me in. However I (and I think with me many) do not expect an expansion every half year (about with GW1 did). I did one every year maybe the first expansion a little later because of extra work after initial release. But we are closing in on two years and there is not even an expansion planned.

So it’s not so much as being spoiled (as I personally are not a Gw1 fan) but it’s more expecting a true B2P model but getting a cash-shop game with all it negative side effects.

Exactly trying to avoid that was what pulled me to GW2.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

What I find especially lacking compared to GW1, is that there is so much less ‘on demand’ PvE content. In GW1, you could log in and go do something like 80 missions, 18 dungeons, 7 elite missions. All of it either on normal or hard mode. Also, 136 areas to vanquish. I could log on, and be doing something interesting a minute later.

There’s only a small handful of things you can chose to go do whenever you want in GW2: a few dungeons, Fractals, some very minor mini-dungeons and some jumping puzzles. Area completions might be compared to vanquishing, except completion can only be done once, which is a poor substitute. For everything else, you have to follow the game’s schedule, or your guild’s, instead of your own. Beyond that, there’s mostly just aimlessly wandering around hoping to run into something interesting at random.

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

While not a huge GW1 fan there name Anet they had with the B2P model was indeed something that did draw me in. However I (and I think with me many) do not expect an expansion every half year (about with GW1 did). I did one every year maybe the first expansion a little later because of extra work after initial release. But we are closing in on two years and there is not even an expansion planned.

So it’s not so much as being spoiled (as I personally are not a Gw1 fan) but it’s more expecting a true B2P model but getting a cash-shop game with all it negative side effects.

Exactly trying to avoid that was what pulled me to GW2.

I feel that in retrospect, maybe we all should’ve expected this when we first heard about GW2’s cash shop.

While overly optimistic, I was still a bit worried when I found out you could convert cash > gold. Now with ANet going full steam ahead, saying “we’re fine with how the LS is making us money”, it makes way more sense. But knowing the game would be entirely F2P after the box price is something I -really- would’ve liked to know at release.

It’s funny when you look at Diablo 3 in terms of all this. Not only was it released in a similar time as GW2, but also started a ‘trend’ in how much cash could influence progression. Now they’ve 180’d on that, focusing on an inherently more rewarding game – and it shows.

edit: quoted the wrong person, whoa

(edited by Smith.1826)

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

Some things that Anet could do is bring in some of those things that were in GW1 like Solo missions akin to solo dungeons/instances like the bonus mission packs which came with redeemable account bound rewards. Rewards could be suitably scaled up for doing it on a hard mode.
Maybe add in something like a dungeon vanquish mode with a suitable end reward. or perhaps a Dungeon last stand/survival mode again both of which would a hard mode with suitably higher rewards.

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

Is that even content ? That is nothing… it’s been 2 years, not 6 months… 2 years and this is all they could do ? Looking at other games you can see that in 2 years they’ve released one or even two expansions, not bug fixes, not UI and map improvements but real expansions that keep people interested…. You know an mmo needs people to actually “work”, people need to be interested in the game in order to stay, content keeps players interested… so no real content = less interest = less money for the game company. You really think that by supporting this stupid (in my opinion) policy that Anet has adopted you’re really helping the game ? If no one complains then nothing changes. I’m not saying that GW2 is a bad game, but I am saying that it needs real, permanent content to stay alive…

First you say there hasn’t been any new content, then when someone specifically points out that there has been, then it becomes, ‘well, there hasn’t been enough’, and then when someone lists all the added content, then it becomes, ‘well, there hasn’t been enough permanent content’.

So what is it? You start out with a certain argument, then you change it a couple times when other posters point out the fallacies of your argument.

Whether you like/ignore it or not, what Anet has added to the game since release has obviously pleased a lot of players….ya know, those that still play the game and enjoy it.

Obviously, you quit playing for your own reasons. Good for you. Most people move on when they have found that a certain game just isn’t what they enjoy.

Best of luck finding a game you enjoy.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Posted by: zoejo.2317

zoejo.2317

This post, again?

Just stop playing it. If the things you point out are really a problem, Anet will lose players and re-thing their strategy. They haven’t, which might indicate they are not losing players.

Posts like these with no info on the game’s population and its increase/decreae, no info on the general satisfaction of the players (at leasts besides the vocal minority of the forum) are just personal opinions and generalizations based on absolutely no legitimate arguments – just personal rage and crying. And they’re as repetitive as the grinding they claim the game is about.

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

Same problem

Same posts.

Different people.

The game is not changing anytime soon.

GW2 makes a nice cheap filler game while you take a break from your primary game or are waiting on a new game.

So, for that it is worth the box price.

If you are looking for a more in depth or engaging experience in terms of your gaming you will have to look elsewhere unfortunately.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Posted by: Serelisk.6573

Serelisk.6573

First you say there hasn’t been any new content, then when someone specifically points out that there has been, then it becomes, ‘well, there hasn’t been enough’, and then when someone lists all the added content, then it becomes, ‘well, there hasn’t been enough permanent content’.

So what is it? You start out with a certain argument, then you change it a couple times when other posters point out the fallacies of your argument.

There were no fallacies in his argument. You’re currently arguing semantics. The overall intent of the OP has not changed.

Even the provider of the list agreed that there is not a very substantial amount of content to play right now after 2 years.

Kegmaster

Posted by: Pipra.7580

Pipra.7580

I’m not saying that GW2 is a bad game, but I am saying that it needs real, permanent content to stay alive…

I have a short attention span. ‘Permanent’ content gets stale very quickly for me and I’ve yet to find an MMO which can keep up with my appetite for it.

The Living Story content, on the other hand, has kept the game fresher for me than any game before this one. Yes, I know that it’s often trivial in nature and quick to be completed, but that’s not the point. Having something new to look forward to every couple of weeks is huge. The anticipation drives my interest.

I’m sure that I’m not alone.

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

There is not alot left to do in the game besides Teq and Wurm.
I joined TTS and even then it is almost impossible to get into a hosted server to do the events.
I find myself trying to get in and then giving up.
I have downloaded another MMO to occupy myself until new content(not rehashed stuff) is released.
It is too bad really because I like GW2 but when you can’t get into a server that can accomplish the raids there really isn’t too much of a reason to log in.
The other MMO I downloaded is good(it starts with a T ) but still isn’t the same.
Hopefully Anet can read the metrics(since they do that instead of listening to the community) and figure out that people are not bothering to log in as much

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

At the end of the day people want new zones, dungeons, gear, skins, playable races, and classes. What have we gotten along those lines permanently?

- 1 new zone (southsun)
- 1 new full dungeon (fractals)
- 1 new path of a dungeon (aether, doesn’t count as a full dungeon imo)
- a few new gear types, some of which are rather useless, others of which are prohibitively expensive
- 1 new in-game-acquirable armor skin which is locked behind horrendous grind
- a bunch of new armor and weapon skins locked behind gems and/or borderline-criminal RNG gambling boxes
- 5 new traits per class (no new classes in sight)
- 1 new healing skill per class

This is about 10% of what I would expect delivered in a full expansion, and it’s taken them 2 years to deliver this stuff to us piecemeal. It’s pretty disappointing looking back. The best patches, really, were the feature packs, not the content.

I’m seriously ready to pay real money for real content, if that’s what it takes.

Azreell.1568

At the end of the day people want new zones, dungeons, gear, skins, playable races, and classes. What have we gotten along those lines permanently?

- 1 new zone (southsun)
- a few new gear types, some of which are rather useless, others of which are prohibitively expensive
- a bunch of new armor and weapon skins locked behind gems and/or borderline-criminal RNG gambling boxes

This is about 10% of what I would expect delivered in a full expansion, and it’s taken them 2 years to deliver this stuff to us piecemeal. It’s pretty disappointing looking back. The best patches, really, were the feature packs, not the content.

I’m seriously ready to pay real money for real content, if that’s what it takes.

What GW2 has taught me is I prefer sub based games.

There is simply much more content on a constant basis.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Xenon.4537

- 1 new zone (southsun)

But that content has no substance. It’s all the same cookie-cutter kill 10 rats quest copy/pasted ad nauseum. Oh and it comes with arbitrary limitations designed to artificially inflate the time it takes you to clear content. Things like daily and weekly lockouts. Hard caps on the number of gear tokens you can earn in a week. If it takes you more time, it means you gotta pay for yet another month of play time.

Stormcrow.7513

GW2 has cookie cutter daily requirements.
GW2 has cookie cutter content(zerg x mob for loot) Stack x dungeon for stack n smack.
GW2 has cookie cutter loot…..don’t get me started……….

I would take a sub system if it meant more dungeons, more zones, more classes, more …game.
After 2 years of blatant stagnation people have a right to ask “what happened”.

Xenon.4537

GW2 has cookie cutter content(zerg x mob for loot) Stack x dungeon for stack n smack.

I would take a sub system if it meant more dungeons, more zones, more classes, more …game.

I’m not arguing against “what happened” to GW2. Indeed I wish more substantial things were added to the game. I just don’t believe a subscription necessarily facilitates a better gaming experience. Quite the contrary. GW2 doesn’t have weekly caps on things like dungeon tokens, or rested exp. Yes it has essentially the same “kill 10 rats” questing, but at least they cut out the middle man of making you trek across the map to find a quest giver, trek back to do the quest, then trek back again to turn it in (again artificially inflating your play time, thus sub time). The heart system is way better imo.

You want more dungeons, more zones, more classes. No MMO adds these simply by a sub fee. They always develop a $40+ expansion box for such things. That’s what GW2 needs, and a sub fee has nothing to do with it.

Stormcrow.7513

I think it is frustration. Instead of an expansion people were given what many feel was a lackluster LS experience.
The GW1 model was successful and is the reason we are all posting on this forum. GW2 should have followed the same model and could have experienced the same success.
I absolutely wouldn’t pay $15 for the LS content but I would pay $40+ for a boxed expansion.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’ve yet to see content added to sub based games that I thought was worth the sub. Some of the sub games, Rift in particular, offered regular monthly content updates, but these were temporary, and in most cases consisted of click X, Y times or collect a bunch of Z by killing mobs W in the rifts of the month. Other than the sporadic introduction of a new raid once in a while, the additions there — and in other sub games, were no better than the LW content from last year.

At least in GW2 I can play the base game that I bought if the content additions don’t appeal.

Still, our difference of opinion on pricing models may come down to you feeling the occasionally added raid justifies the sub. At least that’s what I hope, as everything else I’ve ever seen added was fluff, and we get plenty of that in GW2.

Posted by: Serelisk.6573

Serelisk.6573

I’m not arguing against “what happened” to GW2. Indeed I wish more substantial things were added to the game. I just don’t believe a subscription necessarily facilitates a better gaming experience. Quite the contrary. GW2 doesn’t have weekly caps on things like dungeon tokens, or rested exp.

What you’re talking about is time gates, and GW2 has plenty of those, lol

Weekly commendation in guild missions cap
Daily Ascended Crafting cap
Monthly/Daily Laurel cap
Daily, Account-wide Dungeon Token cap
etc.

Kegmaster

Azreell.1568

I will take a different approach to explaining this problem.

GW2 is and will continue to lose people due to bordom and a lack of content.

I myself know of 4+ guilds that completely quit as a whole and my friends list continues to dwindle at an alarming rate (people simply not logging in anymore).

It’s happening across the entire game. Mega servers were nothing more then a very good way to server merge the game without all the bad press that goes with closing /merging servers.

From the people/guilds I associate with the reasoning behind leaving is always the same.

Lack of content.

With NCsoft publishing a very similar AAA title within the next month and other big name games coming out shortly after – GW2 isn’t really in a good position to not have things for it’s players to do.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Posted by: Reikan.2908

Reikan.2908

I’m running out of motivation to play. I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be looking forward to.
Wvw is starting to feel stagnant. Everything in the game is extremely routine, there’s still heaps of maps and dungeons I haven’t explored but there’s no point joining a dungeon unless your going to follow the patterns.
I can play dark souls if want to pve
And the lore in gw2 is way too cheesy and simple for me to take interest.

This game has heaps of nice features but personally I feel no immersion
And I can barely tell the difference from one guild to another
Hopefully someday I can be bothered to spend my 600k karma and however many laurels I got. ATM I can’t be asked getting to strait of malchor

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

This post, again?

Just stop playing it. If the things you point out are really a problem, Anet will lose players and re-thing their strategy. They haven’t, which might indicate they are not losing players.

Posts like these with no info on the game’s population and its increase/decreae, no info on the general satisfaction of the players (at leasts besides the vocal minority of the forum) are just personal opinions and generalizations based on absolutely no legitimate arguments – just personal rage and crying. And they’re as repetitive as the grinding they claim the game is about.

+100

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Posted by: BigfootArisen.6509

BigfootArisen.6509

To me the whole game has seemed like an MMO put out and marketed by Peter Molyneux. “This is going to be the best game ever! Look at all this wicked sweet stuff we have going for us! Everything you hate about other games? Don’t even think about it, because it isn’t here!” They promised so much with the living world, but 2 week bursts of activity and then gone is not a living world. If we had gotten updates once a month (that were worked on for at least two months) and that provided maps that still had a draw after their initial story, it would have been perfect.

How would this be accomplished? Well, say that Southsun had hearts and exploring it counted towards world completion. All of a sudden people are there to get stuff done, so now it isn’t a dead zone. And then the people that don’t like the necessity of doing WvW exploration to get 100% have another PvE map to explore to get closer to the cap. Now imagine if all of our LS had been like that, and instead of adding another villain it was more along the lines of an alternate PS going after another dragon(which is more what it looks like we are about to get, so I’ll hold my breath for that).

The living world was promised to be so much more, but all we got was subpar(in my opinion) writing that was made glaringly obvious by only coming in short bursts.

Also, this is an MMO. You have to hold the people that pick up the game years from now and those that miss out into account. Imagine someone picking up the game in late 2015. They won’t know anything about Scarlet or Mord(all assumptions, but it certainly seems like we are gonna start the journey to him) because they will be dead and gone, but holy cow, how about that Zhaitan? Entire swaths of story only viewable in retrospect is not a terribly good idea, at least not in my opinion.

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

Given the abysmal quality of the Living Story, what makes people think that an expansion will be any better? I don’t need an expansion’s worth of horrible writing and embarrassingly bad lore.

BigfootArisen.6509

Given the abysmal quality of the Living Story, what makes people think that an expansion will be any better? I don’t need an expansion’s worth of horrible writing and embarrassingly bad lore.

Because an expansion would absolutely warrant the writing of Ree Soesbee, and considering reactions to just her being the one to mention this next season of LS says volumes about how people feel about her writing ability.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

I’m not saying that GW2 is a bad game, but I am saying that it needs real, permanent content to stay alive…

I have a short attention span. ‘Permanent’ content gets stale very quickly for me and I’ve yet to find an MMO which can keep up with my appetite for it.

The Living Story content, on the other hand, has kept the game fresher for me than any game before this one. Yes, I know that it’s often trivial in nature and quick to be completed, but that’s not the point. Having something new to look forward to every couple of weeks is huge. The anticipation drives my interest.

I’m sure that I’m not alone.

This post, is the point I was trying to get at, when I mentioned permanent content. Everything gets boring the more you see it.

I also like the small bursts of new content that is the LS. It’s fresh, it may only be interesting for a day. (for some..I find it interesting for a week). But it’s new. And once you’re bored, you know that in 2 weeks (or 4 weeks) there’s gonna be more new

Posted by: Sunshine.4680

Sunshine.4680

Because an expansion would absolutely warrant the writing of Ree Soesbee, and considering reactions to just her being the one to mention this next season of LS says volumes about how people feel about her writing ability.

The LS was written badly, as for the rest of the game I find it pretty neat with all it’s lore.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

I recently dive into another dream game. (My all time favor since 2000. This is series 2)

At lv16, i’ve already done every single quest i can do and i need to repeat the same mission 3+ times in order to proceed to lv17. The game provide multi class system for 1 character that means when i have to level up another class, i need to do the mission from lv1 AGAIN until lv65 when half of the quests are non repeatable. Not the mention there are 6 classes….

Compare to GW2, my most map completion character when hitting lv80 was 44%, the least map completion character was 32%. Map contents alone are good enough for 2x lv80 without a need to repeat any contents. Where is grind?

Legendary? I made my sunrise without grind, i usually just finish monthly and daily for the laurels so that i can exchange T6 materials. I never mystic forge for a precursor and I never desired to get a legendary as well until i got a Dawn from loot.

Leveling there are definitely no grind for sure, as we got more than enough contents for it. New content wise, the game i am now playing, a full 2 years release, only provided a new class and a new race. LS of GW2 is 10 times more contents given.

Finally, one more point, i am playing a melee class, party with a ranged class, i was doing 20% of overall damage compare to him. While i needed to run around chasing the boss in order to hit, he just jump around and shoot, doing damage the whole fight period. I just realise that GW2 already doing a very good class balance after all.

Posted by: zackattackbrawl.3174

zackattackbrawl.3174

Hello Fellow GW2 players

I was part of the beta testing, and i believed that despite a few shortcomings this mmo had great potential. However it has not changed since, and after a week of playing with friends, i could clearly see that this game did not quite live up to the hype. Now i am not sure what it’s missing (i am no amazing game developer), but i think many of us here in this thread can agree that GW2 is missing something.

Posted by: mcarswell.3768

mcarswell.3768

the truth is that I like the game and I want to keep playing but I don’t have an incentive to actually play…

this statement contradicts itself.

i play because i like the game. the enjoyment i get out of in game activities is my incentive.

Berner | Nitzerebb | Suna | Shivayanama
[TSFR] – Jade Quarry

Xenon.4537

What you’re talking about is time gates, and GW2 has plenty of those, lol

Weekly commendation in guild missions cap
Daily Ascended Crafting cap
Monthly/Daily Laurel cap
Daily, Account-wide Dungeon Token cap
etc.

I guess the weekly guild com cap is the harshest one, so I’ll give you that. However, the dungeon token cap is a soft cap. You can go back all you want and get diminishing returns iirc. Also the purpose of those tokens is exotic armor of which there are many other methods to obtain. In WoW, for example, there is a hard cap of like 1000 tokens per week which is barely enough for one piece of gear, and you can’t get that gear any other way. And you have to grind through that crap until you have a sufficient gear score just to be able to access content that gives better gear. Repeating that process for weeks just to be able to access the raid your friends are doing. Weeks of BS to be able to play with your friends, meanwhile in GW2 there is practically nothing stopping you from hitting 80 and being full exotic in w/e amount of time you feel like.

Other than that, sure, GW2 has time gates on ascended gear. Lack of ascended gear doesn’t stop me from enjoying 99% of the content in GW2. Lack of basic gear shuts you out of 99% of other MMOs.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Hello Fellow GW2 players

I was part of the beta testing, and i believed that despite a few shortcomings this mmo had great potential. However it has not changed since, and after a week of playing with friends, i could clearly see that this game did not quite live up to the hype. Now i am not sure what it’s missing (i am no amazing game developer), but i think many of us here in this thread can agree that GW2 is missing something.

I get that you don’t like the game, but why do people like you have to blatantly lie when you complain about the game?
People would take you much more seriously if you actually grounded your statements in actual facts rather than just lying in order to make things appear worse than they are.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

BigfootArisen.6509

Hello Fellow GW2 players

I get that you don’t like the game, but why do people like you have to blatantly lie when you complain about the game?
People would take you much more seriously if you actually grounded your statements in actual facts rather than just lying in order to make things appear worse than they are.

I was a part of the beta. It had a lot of potential then. It was an accomplishment to kill a veteran, and you struggled when pulling more than 2 regular old monsters. That was fun and interesting. AI walked out of heavily damaging AoE and kited. That was fun and interesting. Particle effects could be dyed on armor. That was interesting and it was fun to try out different combinations.

Now we have easily killable everything (mostly due to we know the ins and outs)and AI that just stands there until it dies (mostly due to stacking) or changes targets for no discernible reason and plain Jane flames. I still play the game, but a lot of the fun in beta was scrapped.

Xenon.4537

Hello Fellow GW2 players

I was a part of the beta. It had a lot of potential then. It was an accomplishment to kill a veteran, and you struggled when pulling more than 2 regular old monsters. That was fun and interesting. AI walked out of heavily damaging AoE and kited. That was fun and interesting. Particle effects could be dyed on armor. That was interesting and it was fun to try out different combinations.

Now we have easily killable everything (mostly due to we know the ins and outs)and AI that just stands there until it dies (mostly due to stacking) or changes targets for no discernible reason and plain Jane flames. I still play the game, but a lot of the fun in beta was scrapped.

A lot of the “fun” you speak of from the beta was mostly due to being new at the game and having only blues and greens to work with. Now that everyone is full exotic with reams of forum pages and wiki to craft the perfect build, killing mobs has never been easier.

It’s not that they “scrapped” anything from the beta. We’ve simply grown since then.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

Hello Fellow GW2 players

A lot of the “fun” you speak of from the beta was mostly due to being new at the game and having only blues and greens to work with. Now that everyone is full exotic with reams of forum pages and wiki to craft the perfect build, killing mobs has never been easier.

It’s not that they “scrapped” anything from the beta. We’ve simply grown since then.

Exactly!!! Good Post.

BigfootArisen.6509

Hello Fellow GW2 players

I don’t see AIs kiting or moving out of AoE (outside of switching targets for no discernible reason) anymore. Dye system was scrapped. Dyeing particle effects was scrapped. Energy potions were scrapped. First Person viewing was scrapped.

EDIT: And I do know that a lot of the reason its not challenging anymore is because we know what we are doing now (as I said in my post you replied to). But smarter AI is only beaten by knowing how it works. Dumb AI is beaten by cornering it and then burning it down because its not smart enough to walk away.

(edited by BigfootArisen.6509)

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

Hello Fellow GW2 players

and not just that but people dont really want a challenge they want rewards. We wanted harder PvE content and they gave us southsun. The veteran karka are an actual challenge especially to solo yet did that attract players? nope farming groups did. Players like to attack Arenanet for their choice of content, for not doing more DE, for doing content that can be done in groups even though strictly speaking designed to fail if zerged too much etc.. yet thats what people do.

Arenanet have no interest in creating content people hate, thats a waste of time and money for everyone. They do content that people play and they can tell exactly what content that is.

I have a feeling the biggest problem here is people talk the talk but just dont walk the walk.

Either that or people who claim they dont like zerging / want a challenge / Dynamic events / more exploration are a very small minority and somehow I dont think thats really the case.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Not entirely true, if they Veteran Karkas would drop good loot, people would farm them. But it is likely that they won’t drop ANYTHING. This is so wrong. If the challenge is there, there must be a reward it’s almost a paradigm, a dogma, an axiom!

Yes, champions drop loot. Maybe Anet should implement lootbags for Veteran Karkas. But I imagine it is not possible from a develipment standpoint ;-)

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

Thats preciesly the source of the problem ProtoGunner but I disagree that shifting reward will ever solve anything. It will just spiral in a vicious circle. Think about it so you make Veteran loot just as good if not better then champion loot, now you get a veteran train and those veteran karka will be child’s play to kill. So now If you want a challenge you have to fight champions, in small groups of 2 or 3 players champions are a joy to fight.

But now we’re back to square one champions arent worth fighting because veterans have such good rewards so we improve their rewards once again and now we’re back to square one. Repeat ad infinitum.

What I Am trying to say is this is not something that can be fixed through rewards this is about what players really value.

Arenanet made a game that empowers players by not limiting them in anyway. In your typical MMO there will not be a zerg train making champion mobs trivial to kill because your typical mmo has mob tagging. Your typical MMO uses such rules to force you to play by its rules not by how you want to play it.

Your typical MMO will have players enjoying the difficulty of its veteran level equivalent not because it drops better loot then the champion equivalent but because veteran level is more accessable. Its more accessable not because Gw2 does anything wrong but because your typical mmo creates barriers for players to tackle the champion equivalent. You need the proper group composition, if someone else engages the boss you need to wait for it to respawn you cant simply join in. If you dont have a party you need to create one can simply join a party thats already there etc…

But all this freedom comes at a price. The game doesnt force any direction on the player but the player now has to take the direction they want themselves and seems to me a lot of times they find themselves conflicted between extrinsic rewards and intrinsic rewards. In a lot of cases a lot of people seems to choose extrinsic over intrinsic even though generally intrinsic is more fulfilling.

Xenon.4537

Actually I like the veteran loot bag idea. Think about it. Where are the vets in this game? All over the place. You couldn’t really form a solid train for them. People would spread out and hunt them down. It could potentially break the PvE zergs up. The problem with doing this is more of a concern about the economy, but lets be real. Would things really be any different? 900 people zerging 5 champs 24/7, or 900 people spread out across the game killing hundreds of vets?