What happened to the anti griefing policy?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Snow White.9680

Snow White.9680

Why do you allow, and encourage players to grief others in wvw puzzles?

currently in EB there are 3+ players creating arrowcarts and balistas at the end room of the puzzle killing players so they cant complete it.

Why is this allowed? Why is this encouraged?

Snow White.9680

I cant even fight back. They sit up there keeping me in combat so i cant even get up to them. This is not pvp. They have the entire puzzle on lock down because of this.

It’s 100% griefing.

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

it’s an open PVP zone…

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Pretty much what people have already said.

It’s a PvP Zone.

If they stand up there, come back later. Just because ArenaNet have a anti-greifing mindset with what they create doesn’t mean that they should ban everything that has to do with killing other players in PvP.

Posted by: arjeidi.2690

arjeidi.2690

I think intentionally stopping players from completely a jumping puzzle, which is a PvE activity, is griefing. This is exactly why you shouldn’t be putting PvE kitten in a PvP environment. Its just stupid.

Posted by: Blazing Rathalos.1904

Blazing Rathalos.1904

Despite what you may think, it is in fact PvP, since you’re in a PvP area. As far as I know “griefing” in the way Arenanet describes it, only apply’s to people annoying each other without reason in PvE. Remember, these people actually do get an advantage out of this: they get to loot you. So, if you don’t like getting killed by other players in PvP, you either go to a PvE area or set up an organised group to take them out.

Then again, I’m not Arenanet, and everything I just said could be complete nonsense.

Then again, I’m not Arenanet, and everything in
the above post could be complete and utter nonsense.

Posted by: Veldan.4637

Veldan.4637

Yes it’s a PvP zone, but how is it PvP if there’s an arrow cart / catapult and there is no way on earth that you can actually get far enough to hit an enemy? In the open world you can dodge siege weapon attacks (by dodging or running), but in a jumping puzzle you cannot, because you have to jump on a tiny spot without any space to evade.

Solution: disable siege weapon building in the jumping puzzles, so there is only actual PvP, and the environmental traps which were specifically designed for the puzzle

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Xandax.1753

Xandax.1753

Jumping puzzles aren’t PvE when they give PvP rewards.

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

well judging by the logic in here, having arrow carts on a garrison or tower and not allowing other players entry is also griefing.

if you can’t make it alone, bring friends just like you would with any other contested point. they are defending something they own. if you don’t like then take it from them.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

What do you need the jumping puzzle for? Is it a need or a want?

Posted by: Veldan.4637

Veldan.4637

well judging by the logic in here, having arrow carts on a garrison or tower and not allowing other players entry is also griefing.

if you can’t make it alone, bring friends just like you would with any other contested point. they are defending something they own. if you don’t like then take it from them.

In front of a tower or keep you can dodge incoming siege attacks, in the jumping puzzle you can not because you have to jump on tiny pieces of ground to advance. Bringing friends doesn’t help either, I’ve seen whole groups go down against a defense of 2-3 arrow carts, before making it to the top (so they didn’t even get a chance to hit the enemy)

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

[opinion] PVP zones should be about PVP: Player Versus Player. That’s it and that’s all. Jumping puzzles, vistas, ‘kill 30 whatevers’ – none of that stuff belongs in a PVP zone. [/opinion]

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Squirrelbane.2510

Squirrelbane.2510

This isn’t just a matter of……it’s pvp deal with it……..they are actively griefing the area. It is impossible to get them out of there.
It is designed as a jumping puzzle, not a castle. The normal methods of taking over an area therefore don’t apply. U cannot get to the area where they have setup their grief spot because they’ve covered the final area where the chest is with arrowcarts.
I don’t expect a white flag in pvp and everone just to let ppl finish the puzzle…but this is exploiting the jumping puzzle mechanics to grief other players.
it is simply against Anet’s anti-griefing mantra. Players have found a way to grief other players and they’re exploiting it. Egro, griefing.
Please do something about this Anet.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

The point is to do those things when you control the area the skillpoint is in. It is NOT griefing to run into an enemy controlled area and have them kill you, regardless of the task you have personally set out to do.

It is not the enemy’s job (nor is it even possible) to stop and interview you when they see you in an open PvP zone to find out whether you are completing PvE or PvP content… and honestly, it doesn’t matter. Even if you went in and just farmed moas on the side of the rode, they have every right to kill you. Over and over again.

Bring friends. Bring MANY if that’s what is necessary. In the words of the TF2 Engineer: “How am I gonna stop some big mean mother hubbard from tearing me a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer? Use a gun! And if that don’t work… use more gun.”

Message brought to you by your friendly neighborhood level 80 engineer.

(edited by Tolmos.8395)

Posted by: moirweyn.9872

moirweyn.9872

Those puzzles shouldn’t even be in the WvW servers, IMO. When you enter an open PvP area you should expect to get into a fight, especially while doing something that is strictly PvE. If you want to do your little puzzle, fight for it or go away.

“There are two types of people in the world…and I don’t like them.”

Posted by: Kopipoki.3542

Kopipoki.3542

If I’m not mistaken jumping puzzles in the WvW zones give out siege blueprints. It sounds like really smart strategy to prevent the other 2 teams from getting those blueprints.

Posted by: Blackwolfe.5649

Blackwolfe.5649

Completing the jumping puzzles also gives points to your server as well if Im not incorrect?

Heard a funny story on tales of tyria, where a person from a different server was being griefed, but the person from the first server helped kill and keep off the griefers so the person trying to complete the puzzle was able to.

Colin Johansen casts – Working As Intended
Colin Johansen hits you for 239407889 damage
Game over

Posted by: Broken Angel.4956

Broken Angel.4956

I fail to understand people who say “its PvP”
The jumping puzzles arent hard, but they do require some sort of concentration.
When there are arrows raining down on you all the time, thats just not fair.
I think it should not be allowed for players to do something that has almost no counters

Posted by: Moonset.3975

Moonset.3975

All’s fair in PvP. This Jumping Puzzle/PvP example is like griefing, or feels the same as griefing to Jumping Puzzle people. PvPers use Jumping Puzzles and terrain as a tool; others use Jumping Puzzles for fun. PvE and PvP don’t mix; JP and PvP also don’t mix.

Jumping Puzzle people are laughable fodder for PvPers.

Zero expectations, high hopes. – Moonset

Broken Angel.4956

All’s fair in PvP. This Jumping Puzzle/PvP example is like griefing, or feels the same as griefing to Jumping Puzzle people. PvPers use Jumping Puzzles and terrain as a tool; others use Jumping Puzzles for fun. PvE and PvP don’t mix; JP and PvP also don’t mix.

Jumping Puzzle people are laughable fodder for PvPers.

Yeh, its fair killing people that have no chance to even touch you. Even if they are better than you, they have to jump around for 2 minutes while you use artillery on them.

Posted by: derekisazombie.2359

derekisazombie.2359

Nah it’s not grieving. If you can’t pvp, Don’t.

Now if you were to come here saying somehow in PvE players were stopping you. THAT’s grieving.

Keep GW2’s pvp as hardcore as possible IMO.

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

Bringing friends isn’t enough….

Bringing ELEMENTALIST and ENGINEER friends is. They AoE the siege from below…siege destroyed, problem solved. I’ve done it 3x this week…and once proceeded by helping build our OWN siege @ the top to prevent enemy from going in. What goes around, comes around.

Edit:

This isn’t just a matter of……it’s pvp deal with it……..they are actively griefing the area. It is impossible to get them out of there.
It is designed as a jumping puzzle, not a castle. The normal methods of taking over an area therefore don’t apply. U cannot get to the area where they have setup their grief spot because they’ve covered the final area where the chest is with arrowcarts.
I don’t expect a white flag in pvp and everone just to let ppl finish the puzzle…but this is exploiting the jumping puzzle mechanics to grief other players.
it is simply against Anet’s anti-griefing mantra. Players have found a way to grief other players and they’re exploiting it. Egro, griefing.
Please do something about this Anet.

You’re wrong. There are traps set up in 3 different sections that when used masterfully, you can lock down an area and prevent an enemy from passing the exact same way. These traps are build into the game by Arena.Net. They were built-in siege mechanics used for “mass griefing” and preventing of the enemy of progressing.

(edited by Siphaed.9235)

Posted by: monepipi.5160

monepipi.5160

Why are players so soft nowadays?

This is a MMO, not everyone is going to be nice and give you hugs, get used to it. Next time when your side has control you can do it too, it sounds like fun tbh.

Posted by: Naoko.7096

Naoko.7096

They will get tired and leave.

I personally never tried in jumping puzzles because I was never fond of those type of games (tomb raider, ninja gaiden etc). PvP should emphasize on player skills with their character vs character. Therefore, it’s meaningless for players to prevent others in jumping puzzles. You see them drop and die, then that’s all about it. No suspense and fun about it. I do agree that those jumping puzzles shouldn’t be allowed to grief others in a one-sided manner. They might as well allow gear progression if they allow one-sided grievers. There’s no skills required.

Posted by: Alexander Dragonfang.1759

Alexander Dragonfang.1759

wvwvw jumping puzzles ARE PVP jumping puzzles.

They give PvP rewards and are in a PvP enviroment. Griefing and Camping are just tactics, if a server hold the main jumping puzzle in EBF they can deny practically the half of the enemy siege golems production x)

Posted by: stayBlind.7849

stayBlind.7849

I find it more annoying when people built warmachines directly on top of Vistas.

Posted by: Pustulio.8207

Pustulio.8207

sounds like you need to practice jumping without stopping, to me. If I learned anything from the “Clock Tower”, it’s that not stopping is the only way to win!

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I waited until someone was done with a skillpoint before deciding to finish them off or prevent them from doing so out of etiquette and respect.

Posted by: Mr Crazy Moose.5760

Mr Crazy Moose.5760

The jumping puzzles aren’t really a problem for griefing.

Being able to use a loophole to get the names of invaders on the other hand…

Broken Angel.4956

What loophole? O.o

Snow White.9680

sounds like you need to practice jumping without stopping, to me. If I learned anything from the “Clock Tower”, it’s that not stopping is the only way to win!

When you’re put into combat you can’t jump as far. You get slowed down. How can I jump up there and fight them if I can’t make the jumps?

I could bring 30 friends with me to fight these guys off and it wouldn’t matter because they are at the top of that grassy dome thing raining arrows down so we can’t make the jumps. We are being kept in combat. I like pvp, I do. But I think this part of the puzzle is flawed.

Snow White.9680

Cool, i went and watched a 2hr movie. Come back to try again and find even more people camping.

Posted by: Vahn.9728

Vahn.9728

Heh, people complaining about other faction siege… Now how would you feel if your own faction placed trebs, ballistas and all that good stuff on top of the chest? Making it impossible to loot the darn thing?

Snow White.9680

I’m sorry to hear that Vahn.

ANet needs to rethink this kind of thing.

Posted by: SoulTrain.2157

SoulTrain.2157

what id do is just switch to a different server and do it and hopefully noone will be doing it there.

Posted by: Signet of Forums.4397

Signet of Forums.4397

What loophole? O.o

If you right-click to report someone (say, for cheating, for example), it shows their account name. I’m guessing that is the loophole. Note that you don’t actually have to follow through and complete the report, so it’s not like you are frivolously reporting people.

It also just occurred to me that you can pick out the real mesmer among their clones that way, though that’s probably too clunky to be particularly useful in the middle of battle.

Therefore we proceed to write a sig.

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

“Solution: disable siege weapon building in the jumping puzzles, so there is only actual PvP, and the environmental traps which were specifically designed for the puzzle”

Agreed, that’s how it should be.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

Posted by: Angelus.1042

Angelus.1042

Its an open PVP zone…get used to it…also its an “optional” puzzle in said “open pvp” zone

Also it san open PVP Zone where people hold points….holding the JP in EB is a good tactic imo

ANet please keep PVP….PVP…if people dont like it then they can PVE…hence the reason the Mist and PVE are 2 seperate parts of the game.

(edited by Angelus.1042)

Posted by: Pennry.9215

Pennry.9215

Good laugh here. The Eternal Battlegrounds “puzzle” is setup for pure PvP and “keep the other guys out”. It’s full of traps that those further along can set off. Yes, siege construction is a tad over-powered in there. They could limit it, but eh, it’s not that hard to get around. Considering the rewards, it’s definitely worth taking the time to figure out.

I’m more concerned about the recent spree of griefing in there: Build ally siege en mass directly on the chest, making it harder for people to select and open the chest. Low, but still possible to get past, just take some time.

Posted by: Angelus.1042

Angelus.1042

Good laugh here. The Eternal Battlegrounds “puzzle” is setup for pure PvP and “keep the other guys out”. It’s full of traps that those further along can set off. Yes, siege construction is a tad over-powered in there. They could limit it, but eh, it’s not that hard to get around. Considering the rewards, it’s definitely worth taking the time to figure out.

I’m more concerned about the recent spree of griefing in there: Build ally siege en mass directly on the chest, making it harder for people to select and open the chest. Low, but still possible to get past, just take some time.

Thats waht happened to me..other server was seiging the chest lol…

I liked it…I had to be fast and smart and avoid the seige attacks. Took time but I got it.

People complain way to much here…dont like it? Dont do it. PVP is meant to be every sense of the word in this game.

Or if its to much for you to handle come back another time

Posted by: Lgn.3450

Lgn.3450

currently in EB there are 3+ players creating arrowcarts and balistas at the end room of the puzzle killing players so they cant complete it.

I have more fun PvPing in Eternal BG then anywhere else in GW. Yes, I’ve been in your situation plenty of times, where I couldn’t complete the jump puzzle because people were camping it with siege equipment. To me that’s what makes jump puzzles fun. It feels more like open world PvP. Also, I’ve never camped any jump puzzle with siege equipment, however, I have no problem with other people doing it.

Posted by: BrickMcThornbody.7094

BrickMcThornbody.7094

Where are these guys? So I could tell them how funny that stuff is! Are they recording it and putting it on YouTube? I wanna see this.

Posted by: Spike Firebrand.8943

Spike Firebrand.8943

And pvpers wonder why people don’t want to do pvp. This is a prime example.

Posted by: Kopipoki.3542

Kopipoki.3542

@Spike the only thing this is a prime example of is one servers being smart and preventing the others from getting at valuable pvp resources.

Posted by: teviko.6049

teviko.6049

True story

I once jumped up to a vista in WvW next to a JQ guy. We both jumped up and got the vista. Then, when our views were done we turned and looked at each other and for a second, I thought he was going to let me go. Then as I turned to leave…

well, anyways, I thanked him for letting me get the vista BEFORE he killed me. Was decent of him.

Sucks, but people grief the WvW puzzle because of lemmings like….because people will keep going after the achievement, even knowing someone is up there firing arrows down at you.

You can, you know, always go elsewhere…

Posted by: Vayra.3290

Vayra.3290

I think intentionally stopping players from completely a jumping puzzle, which is a PvE activity, is griefing. This is exactly why you shouldn’t be putting PvE kitten in a PvP environment. Its just stupid.

PvP puzzle. There’s no such thing as griefing of opposite factions in PvP.

The Unnamed[ThUn] – Desolation
Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

Posted by: Bullfrog.1324

Bullfrog.1324

At first I was in agreement with th OP until I learned that there were siege blueprints at the end of the puzzles. Now I’m completely fine with people setting up seige equipment there to keep the chests guarded.

Also, best I can tell, each of the “borderland” zones are idenctical, so I doubt the same faction is camping all three of them at the same time.

I’d rather regret something I’d done than regret doing nothing.
[Profession Synonym] Lexxi [ANGL] – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Stratzvyda.3921

Stratzvyda.3921

If there’s a swarm of dudes at that point raining down aoes and hellfire that is perfectly fine and should be accepted as part of the pvp experience. Seige should not be allowed to be placed in the jumping puzzle however.

Posted by: Cerulean.5142

Cerulean.5142

Regardless if this is a PvP zone or not, it does border on griefing since it is in a PvE puzzle. OP do you think Anet sits and watches every server, every zone, 24 hours a day? If you think that these people are griefing then report them. Posting it on the forums will do no good and will just cause people to flame you and grief you on the forums.

Posted by: Spike Firebrand.8943

Spike Firebrand.8943

sigh more clueless pvpers who do NOT get it. This is NOT a pvp based game and NEVER WILL BE. This is a PVE based game that happends to have a SMALL make that VERY small section of pvp players who as usual think their more important than anyone else when thier not.

Sure carry on grifeing people and then when there is no one left to play with, I will see you on on here moaning that no one wwvs any more. Actually Its all ready happending. So hopefully wvw will be dead soon and Anet can remove it.