What happened to the economy?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Anyone know what is happening with the economy? It seems to be crumbling and in utter shambles. Gold is given out like candy corn now, getting 2g a day just for logging on. However the value of all goods is plummeting in price. Common goods, luxury goods, crafting materials, they are all going down. See:

https://www.gw2tp.com/item/19721-glob-of-ectoplasm
https://www.gw2tp.com/item/24295-vial-of-powerful-blood
https://www.gw2tp.com/item/24358-ancient-bone
https://www.gw2tp.com/item/19748-silk-scrap
https://www.gw2tp.com/item/19729-thick-leather-section
https://www.gw2tp.com/item/31069-whisperblade
https://www.gw2tp.com/item/30704-twilight

What is the cause of this massive deflation in the value of goods over the last 6 months? Is there just not enough people buying things anymore? Are drops too generous causing the value of things to crash? Based on the current trend of giving out too much gold AND too much stuff the entire economy will be useless soon. Everyone will have everything and nothing will be rare or fun to get.

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

getting 2g a day just for logging on

No, you gotta do the daily for that!

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

Lol at linking silk and thick leather. Try other types of leather, or t4 t5 mats at 5s each.

Ecto dropped thanks to AB, nothing else is really out of whack. Could get 2g a day super easy prior to the daily, so that didn’t shift things all that much.

But yeah grinding out gold is fun. Been playing since Beta and I still don’t have ascended armor, because crafting it is just SO easy and cheap!

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

It’s not deflation it’s offer and demand. With each new content the devs add different rewards that will affect the market. Usually, they reward item that they want the price to drop. That control the offer.

There is also new recipes and reward that could allow you different ways to get an item. For exemple, over the last couple of months they added a couple of ways to get ascended item, so less people might need the crafting material to craft ascended armor. That control the demand.

Also the Multimap AB farm is kind of screwing up several material. Don’t know if the devs will nerf or let it the way it is now.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I would say there is a lot more in supply now thanks to map bonus rewards for doing events. Add to that people can now go and farm these things by doing those maps and getting from the events that less people may be also buying them.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

What is the cause of this massive deflation in the value of goods over the last 6 months?

Auric Bank multi-loot

Frustratingly, it puts those us of us who consider it an exploit so refuse to do it at a disadvantage.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

The economy fluctuates…

/thread

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

The price of goods dropping is actually a sign of oversupply (perhaps Auric basin octovine multiloot is causing it, idk). If everyone gets a ton of gold prices would rise because people would not mind spending more. It is like gold would lose value if that’s the case (opposite of what seems to be happening). But this game’s economy is so big I would not be able to accurately pin it down. ArenaNet has the numbers, I’m sure they are aware of it. (or at least John)

Posted by: mbhalo.1547

mbhalo.1547

Frustratingly, it puts those us of us who consider it an exploit so refuse to do it at a disadvantage.

Disadvantage of being able to buy twice amount of ecto for the same amount of gold?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Disadvantage of being able to buy twice amount of ecto for the same amount of gold?

Disadvantage of being able to sell the small amount of ecto we do get at only half the pre-ABML value. And seeing our gold lose it’s buying power on the things that AB doesn’t supply directly.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

It diminishes the value of the rewards for doing other activities in the game.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

More rare armor is being dropped which are salvaged and the mats dumped on the TP. That explains ectos, silk and thick leather.

Other mats may be due to rewards and drops from the new LS maps.

Legendary market is a fickle thing. Maybe some players are liquidating their hoard.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

Twilight losing value probably also comes as a result of mystic forge gambling being extremely cheap right now (rares are cheap, crafting rares is cheap etc).

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

Ecto/Leather/Silk – multiloot AB

Ancient Blood/Bone/Claw – Ember Bay map drop a lot of this

Legendaries and expensive exotic weapons fluctuate a lot so hard to say what happens really but precursors have been trending down since AB Multiloot gives more rare to forge = more precursors.

I definitely feel that a lot of things are cheaper now unless they are specifically required for a new shiny (eg. elder wood for Eureka). This isn’t too bad since Gold feels like it’s worth more which helps people that get like 2g from dailies.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Anyone know what is happening with the economy? It seems to be crumbling and in utter shambles. Gold is given out like candy corn now, getting 2g a day just for logging on. However the value of all goods is plummeting in price. Common goods, luxury goods, crafting materials, they are all going down.

You haven’t listed any examples that support the idea that the “economy is crumbling” or “in shambles.” Demand changes due to changes in content. T5 totems are up due to Eureka (although that should have impacted all T5 fine mats, but that’s a different discussion). Leather is high, ecto is low, refined spiritwood is up, mystic coins are way up, etc

As long as people can sell whatever they don’t want and use the funds gained to buy what they need/want, the economy is fine. It doesn’t really matter if any one or 100 items is lower priced (or higher priced, for that matter). Pricing affects whether one’s hoarded goods are high value or not, not whether the economy is in good shape or not.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

A low price on something only helps you if you want to buy. I salvage and sell much more often than I craft something.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

A low price on something only helps you if you want to buy. I salvage and sell much more often than I craft something.

It advantage people that buy them and disadvantage people that sell them. It’s not an argument against or for the multi map. A lot of things added or discovered about the game make price vary for a lot of items.

TBH I don’t view multimapping as an exploit. But I also think they should fix is.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Anyone know what is happening with the economy? It seems to be crumbling and in utter shambles. Gold is given out like candy corn now, getting 2g a day just for logging on. However the value of all goods is plummeting in price. Common goods, luxury goods, crafting materials, they are all going down.

You haven’t listed any examples that support the idea that the “economy is crumbling” or “in shambles.” Demand changes due to changes in content. T5 totems are up due to Eureka (although that should have impacted all T5 fine mats, but that’s a different discussion). Leather is high, ecto is low, refined spiritwood is up, mystic coins are way up, etc

As long as people can sell whatever they don’t want and use the funds gained to buy what they need/want, the economy is fine. It doesn’t really matter if any one or 100 items is lower priced (or higher priced, for that matter). Pricing affects whether one’s hoarded goods are high value or not, not whether the economy is in good shape or not.

I’m not really interested in short term spikes due to radical changes like adding a new legendary. Obviously things associated with Eureka are up. I’m talking about the long term, 6 month+ downward trend on many different items.

The items I listed are a wide selection of items ranging from high volume to low volume that all show the same downward pressure on the price. This indicates a problem with the economy. Obviously individual items will spike and crash due to changes in the game, but high velocity items such as ectos are generally a good indicator of the health of the overall economy.

Even things you listed as being “high” show this trend.

https://www.gw2tp.com/item/46736-spiritwood-plank
is down about 15% over the last 6 months

You claim mystic coins are “way up” yet they show only a 10% change in the last 6 months that varies on a monthly cycle with now being the high point of the month at the same price point of the last 4 high points:
https://www.gw2tp.com/item/19976-mystic-coin

The items I have listed show very little change in supply on the TP compared to the change in the price leading me to believe that the problem is a lack of demand. Possibly the population is down? Or the TP is not needed as people are now able to get everything they need as direct drops?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

The items I have listed show very little change in supply on the TP compared to the change in the price leading me to believe that the problem is a lack of demand

There’s been a big change in supply from before AB multi loot to now, months after mats have been pouring into the market. The new incoming supply from AB is outsripping demand and causing prices of these mats to fall.

May (from before AB multi loot) to now (rough numbers)
Ecto: 50k to 720k
Powerful blood: 8k to 44k
Ancient bones: 26k to 47k
Silk scrap: 2M to 5M
Thick leather: 300k to 1M
(The two weapons would be crafted with cheaper, higher supply mats, meaning more can be made and sold cheaper).

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Trinnitty.8256

Trinnitty.8256

Many Guild halls have been fleshed out by guilds now so that huge sink has run its coarse.

I really don’t feel like the economy is in trouble. Most of the time I never notice it since I like playing the game instead of trying to get rich like tp flippers.

Posted by: ugrakarma.9416

ugrakarma.9416

There is nothing to regret. Except traditional market manipulators and old “farmers”. By the way, is less worthy than silverwastes farm+open bandits chest in a level 53 yet, AB is just more easy and fun. But Silverwastes still the champion.

Events trains in ember bay, give insane amounts of loot too. Same for Orr.

(edited by ugrakarma.9416)

Posted by: Serious.7083

Serious.7083

But yeah grinding out gold is fun. Been playing since Beta and I still don’t have ascended armor, because crafting it is just SO easy and cheap!

That depends on your priorities, if you wanted Ascended Armor you would have saved up mats and made it. TBH there is little reason beyond raids and fractals to bother much with ascended armor.

Some people have 10 sets or more. Same with legendary weapons.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’m not really interested in short term spikes due to radical changes like adding a new legendary. …I’m talking about the long term, 6 month+ downward trend on many different items.

It still doesn’t amount to a ‘problem’ — items are bought, items are sold; the market is doing what it’s supposed to be doing. There’s no evidence in any of your examples of a collapse or breaking of an economy.

Price rise and prices fall; there are all sorts of long term trends for a variety of reasons. A healthy economy adjusts and a broken one does not.

Perhaps you mean, “what happened to the markets on these specific goods?” In which case, there are specific reasons for downward trends in each of your examples:

• Ecto: AB Multiloot became a thing about 5-6 months ago, increasing the supply of rares (and therefore ecto) enormously. Market adjusted.
  • Powerful Blood: zerker isn’t the only meta; other T6 mats are needed more.
  • Silk: ‘artificially’ high due to perceived scarcity plus game has added many new sources. Those who ‘desperately’ wanted silk have paid what they needed to pay and others aren’t willing to spend as much more. Lower demand; increased supply.
  • T5 Leather: ditto, plus it’s about where it was 6 months ago
  • Twilight: I don’t see a downward trend. I see a brief uptick in supply and competition for pricing. See also AB/ML, which is lowering the cost of industrial production of precursors.
  • Whisperblade: don’t see any trends other than supply is up, minor decrease in price. Nearly 40% of its current price is due to ecto, so a drop of ecto price affects its price, too.
  • Ancient Bone: I’m not familiar with its market at all. Looks like a healthy market anyhow.

Markets change as the community’s interest changes. In a healthy economy, prices should change fairly quickly to adjust, so all the examples provided in the OP suggest that the economy is in good shape. Those examples also suggest that the markets are responding to changes in demand & supply, which are also good signs.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

That depends on your priorities, if you wanted Ascended Armor you would have saved up mats and made it. TBH there is little reason beyond raids and fractals to bother much with ascended armor.

Some people have 10 sets or more. Same with legendary weapons.

I don’t disagree, my point was that it isn’t like the stuff is falling out of the sky like TC says.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

i notice the ecto price plummet since the 1st episode of LS3. perhaps due to the rewards for doing events in BF. super easy to get rares. without much effort of focusing on farming i now have 3 stack of ectos . just like that.

other than that, i think more and more people are getting good at doing raid, thus reducing their needs for crafting ascended stuff when they can simply get them using magnetite shards. being able to purchase ascended armor from fractals also play part.

i like they way they are now, i can just farm trees near the melandru statue in malchor’s, and use the gold obtained from selling them to buy the raw mats for ascended crafting.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

Lol at linking silk and thick leather. Try other types of leather, or t4 t5 mats at 5s each.

Ecto dropped thanks to AB, nothing else is really out of whack. Could get 2g a day super easy prior to the daily, so that didn’t shift things all that much.

Meanwhile I never crafted ascended weapons and armors and have so many that I start salvaging a lot of drops I get.
Do fractal t4 dailies and raids and you will drown in them.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).