What happens to exp when you max masteries?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

I am finding the information about the change to leveling and related items a bit lacking.

It was said that level 80 characters don’t get skill point when leveling up and will loot spirit shards. I assume that this is going to be related to mastery when you level. But what will happen when a player maxes all masterys? Does exp then become useless to that player? Will mastery points pool or will there be simply nothing to gain once u get to the max exp pool?

I find it a bit odd that you would reward all these tomes and writs only to be made ineffective to people that are level 80 that were hoping to use these towards mastery. Unless the Mystic Forge vender is getting a revamp these shards are going to be just as usless as or tedious as to extract wealth from as skill points.

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

(edited by Mireles Lore.5942)

Posted by: Chista.4750

Chista.4750

I’m actually glad the tomes won’t do anything for masteries since it’ll only speed up how fast you run out of masteries.

I’m guessing that once you max all masteries though, you just wont get more exp. Mostly to prevent people from saving up billions of exp and instantly mastering everything that comes out later.

Since mastery points are physical objects that you need to interact with in the world, among other things like story completion, I’m guessing those, unlike exp, will pool up. Meaning you can have all masteries maxed, but a surplus of x mastery points

Posted by: ChoChoBo.6503

ChoChoBo.6503

They just keep adding new Masteries.

It’s not going to be easy maxing Masteries on every character you have. Remember, Mastery Points are account bound, but you can only use them once, so you can earn a Mastery on your alt character and use it on your main but you can’t use it the same point twice, one on each character. And Masteries aren’t account wide, so if one of your alts have gliding maxed out, it does not mean all of your characters will have it maxed out.

And you can still use writs to turn into Tomes with the patch. And using Tomes at level 80 won’t net you mastery points but net you spirit shards which you can spend. So you can still use Tomes when you’re level 80.

Masteries are meant to be challenging new objectives once you hit level 80. Having a lot of Masteries on one character is meant to be something you can brag about, I’m glad they aren’t adding an easy way via Tomes. They clearly stated that Masteries and EXP would be unrelated in previous posts and releases, so I don’t know why anyone would be saving up tomes for that purpose.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

And Masteries aren’t account wide

Actually they are.
“Each Mastery point can be earned once per account … Masteries award account-wide abilities and bonuses.”

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/reimagining-progression-the-mastery-system/

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

On the announcment stream of the expansion they said that mastery would be account wide so you wouldnt have to grind then on all alts. And the link above specifially states that you train mastery by gaining exp

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

(edited by Mireles Lore.5942)

Posted by: Neox.3497

Neox.3497

Nothing. But who cares?

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

They just keep adding new Masteries.

It’s not going to be easy maxing Masteries on every character you have. Remember, Mastery Points are account bound, but you can only use them once, so you can earn a Mastery on your alt character and use it on your main but you can’t use it the same point twice, one on each character. And Masteries aren’t account wide, so if one of your alts have gliding maxed out, it does not mean all of your characters will have it maxed out.

That is incorrect based on the blog post.

Masteries award account-wide abilities and bonuses.

They are not per character.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I don’t foresee us maxing out masteries anytime soon, but it depends on how much leveling up you have to do between each tier. That could be pretty substantive.

One of the betas players from the last beta told me that the first ‘level’ was the same as a typical level 80, and the next was 4 times that much mastery experience (which the current wiki info supports)

“Mastery tracks are completed by earning an increasing amount of experience points, currently the first track requires 254,000 exp, and the second tier of the track requires 1,012,000 exp.”

If additional tiers follow the same patter of 4 times the amount of the previous tier, that’s a lot of xp to gather.

Beyond that they’ve told us that they fully intend to continue adding masteries as the game progresses.

I think they intend to keep us busy for quite some time.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: ChoChoBo.6503

ChoChoBo.6503

Actually they are.
“Each Mastery point can be earned once per account … Masteries award account-wide abilities and bonuses.”

Wow, that’s not how the beta was… or maybe it was just restricted in the beta. I hope they clarify that at some point. I kind of like the thought of journeying with all my characters, but I also like the thought that if I rolled a new one I can just pick up where I left off

Posted by: Blood Mist Mirage.5610

Blood Mist Mirage.5610

Actually they are.

Wow, that’s not how the beta was… or maybe it was just restricted in the beta. I hope they clarify that at some point. I kind of like the thought of journeying with all my characters, but I also like the thought that if I rolled a new one I can just pick up where I left off

I still had my mastery (gliding) even though I deleted my character in the beta and made a new one.

Only nerds read this.

Posted by: cocowoushi.7150

cocowoushi.7150

Actually they are.

I still had my mastery (gliding) even though I deleted my character in the beta and made a new one.

Same as above poster. This was latest beta.

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

I am little sad that there will not still be leveling as we have now after 80 in regards to additional skill points. It created the feel of progression even if you were capped. It also diminishes the value of +xp buffs on foods, boosters, events and such where before you knew you were still working towards something that could be used to pay for crafting mats. Will have to see how the loot drops work but there was value in that feeling that you were still progressing that I fear will be lost.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.