What happens to mastery exp. without HoT

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: mohsmous.1346

mohsmous.1346

Q:

Hello,

I just got the “Long Arm of the Light” achievement and the reward was Mastery experience. I was wondering, since I don’t have the expansion, if that experience was stocked somewhere or just completely lost…

In the “Reimagining Progression: The Mastery System” post, there’s that part:
“Some Mastery points will come from content that existing players may have already completed, and these Mastery points will be automatically awarded to you with the release of Heart of Thorns, allowing you to get started on your Mastery journey right away.”
Does this mean it is indeed stocked somewhere ?
Just want to be certain.

Finally, I’ve looked around for the answer but it seems those who asked a similar question had the expansion BUT hadn’t “unlocked” the mastery system yet so…

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

A:

It’s just XP with a fancy name. Lots of content gives out these bundles of XP. If you have Masteries unlocked and need XP for them, or just need XP to level, it’s worth something. If you don’t, it is not worth anything.

Good luck.

Posted by: Acnologia.6934

Acnologia.6934

Don’t really know… you need to find someone that was in your same situation before buying the exp…. logic-dictact the game as a server should “stock” the information that you have completed that ach waiting for the moment that you buy the exp and unlock the master system… that doesn’t me an you can stock an enourmous ammount of them to unlock al the masteries when you buy the exp… every time you reach the exp required to learn a mastery you lose the surplus.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

That XP isn’t saved up. If it’s not used immediately to progress the mastery line then it’s lost.

For example. If someone with the mastery system no longer has it progressing because they don’t have mastery points and the mastery line is maxed out then all the XP they get from then on is lost. Once they get the mastery points and restart the mastery line’s progression it starts from zero on the next line.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Acnologia.6934

Acnologia.6934

Mhhh probably it works as Just a Flesh said. Now that i think about that’s not a “tome” but simple exp. Probably you simply lose it. Yep

Posted by: Bollocks.4078

Bollocks.4078

The Wiki page for Long Arm of the Light says that if you are less than 80 you get half a level. I would think if you don’t have HoT you’d just get XP towards your normal rollover XP bar. Did you notice if that happened or not? If not then they must have specifically programmed that to only give XP to HoT accounts and not to non HoT accounts. Either way it definitely won’t be stocked for later. You either got it on our existing non-mastery XP bar or it vanished. Hopefully it went to your non-mastery XP bar.

mohsmous.1346

The Wiki page for Long Arm of the Light says that if you are less than 80 you get half a level. I would think if you don’t have HoT you’d just get XP towards your normal rollover XP bar. Did you notice if that happened or not? If not then they must have specifically programmed that to only give XP to HoT accounts and not to non HoT accounts. Either way it definitely won’t be stocked for later. You either got it on our existing non-mastery XP bar or it vanished. Hopefully it went to your non-mastery XP bar.

I’m a full on level 80 and I think I got a “nice” chunk of XP, but it’s not as if it’s worth anything now… And maybe it was just the normal XP for completing something so…

Thanks to you and the others for the responses, hope I get some officials to give a nice and straight answer.

I’ll leave the post up just a little more, then mark it as answered.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

My alt with Core-not-HoT gets nothing for extra XP.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

While it’s not outright said, we all know it goes to Zommoros. He’s known for taking stuff and not giving anything back. There’s no reason to think such behavior stops at the MF.

~EW

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Mastery Points are monitored, as it were. Mastery XP is just XP, if it doesn’t have anywhere to go it doesn’t go anywhere. It just evaporates.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

It seems irritating at first, because time efficiency becomes a major concern with the amount of farming GW2 has us do. But since events give a % of your level exp (masteries give you exp as if you were level 80), they added up pretty quickly. It was only a gripe when HOT first launched, because optimal trains were still being figured out, and you needed several early mastery unlocks to get access to the Hero points needed for the Elite specs (and holy crap did you need a lot of them).

Once the dust settled, I got lazy with the mastery unlocks. But notice that maps that come out with living story are very farm oriented….. these are there to allow catch up on unfinished masteries, as I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one that abandoned finishing a mastery track since I wasn’t putting myself through making a HOT legendary. I got the ENTIRE L6 (Leyline) gliding track filled in one day of farming there.

And I have no doubt this same process will repeat on the next expansion; because its the same methodology WoW uses for its expansions to recapture players. Bottle neck the players on the newest content so they don’t burn through it as quickly, and then release a catch up system leading up to your next content release so they can get the required gear/lvl/abilities needed to for the old system, and/or new system that might need them. And since gliding is in Core Tyria now, I expect it to be a staple in the new areas, and purposely hamstrung in specific areas to force the use of another mechanic.

mohsmous.1346

Thanks everyone for the responses, have a good game.