What has changed in 2 years?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lictor Alpha.3724

Lictor Alpha.3724

GW1 vet, picked up GW2 in beta, dropped it shortly after launch. Has the game drastically changed/improved in the 2+ years that I have been gone?
My primary complaints:

PvE:
Zero innovation combat (What happened to undead armys?, Shadow Form rushes, all the crazy skill combos that let you do insanely OP things through teamwork.)

Non armored classes dieing in 2/3 hits to normal mobs.

Spammy weak attacks. (Wheres my Rodgort’s Invocation, Avatar of Melandru, Searing Flames, exc.)

Slow traveling.

No counter play. (IE Power Leech, Wandering Eye, pretty much everything mesmer gw1)

Boring elite skills with 3/4 minute cooldowns. (I mean seriously. 4 minute cooldowns? Some of them don’t even have a major impact on the fight. Avatar of Melandru is a perfect example of how it should be done.)

WvW:

WvW entailed moving as a giant red blob in a circle capturing stuff, as two other green and blue blobs also move in a circle away from you capturing you’re stuff.

Attacking keep doors for 20+ minutes then killing the keep lord in under a minute.

The center castle being essentially unsiegeable due to very far attacker spawning distances and point blank defender spawns.

PvP:
Warriors unblockable stun + bladestorm + signet of fury + adrenaline finisher being an instant kill on anyone not built full tank

Incredibly spammy combat. (Use all you’re spells the second they come off cooldown for max DPS) *granted the game was only out for two weeks

(edited by Lictor Alpha.3724)

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Boy has it ever. Might be best if you look over the patch notes or just play the game at this point. The new leveling system alone will turn your stomach. But, apparently, they’re changing it again come the expansion . . . if that tells you anything.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

WvW is what you want it to be. If you join up with the zerg (especially on top tier servers), then yes, you’re going to be blobbing. If you choose to roam solo or in small groups, then you’ll be doing something different.

I don’t PvP, so I can’t comment here.

As for PvE:

If someone is dying to mobs in two or three hits, they should probably learn the mechanics of the game, especially the mechanic of dodging. There are also invul and evade skills, reflects, retaliation, etc. And as for counter play, there are definitely forms of it (reflect, retaliation, CC skills).

I’m not sure what you mean by slow traveling. Do you mean running speeds? If so, nope, that hasn’t changed; mesmers especially suffer from a lack of running speed options.

Elites are pretty much the same. Lots are useless. Some are good.

But you could always log into the game and give it a try yourself. If things aren’t to your liking still, then continue avoiding the game. Obviously, there is an expansion pack in the works, with a new class and changes to certain mechanics in the game.

(edited by RoseofGilead.8907)

Lictor Alpha.3724

Boy has it ever. Might be best if you look over the patch notes or just play the game at this point. The new leveling system alone will turn your stomach. But, apparently, they’re changing it again come the expansion . . . if that tells you anything.

I’l give it a once over while im reinstalling. The primary reason I loved GW1 was for the crazy team combos you could pull together, like having a necro/monk only party with an army of 50+ undead minions or the more higher speed clear builds and zerging through levels. I was really disappointed because GW2 seemed like it did not have any of that.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

I’l give it a once over while im reinstalling. The primary reason I loved GW1 was for the crazy team combos you could pull together, like having a necro/monk only party with an army of 50+ undead minions or the more higher speed clear builds and zerging through levels. I was really disappointed because GW2 seemed like it did not have any of that.

What’s to stop you from getting in a guild and suggesting that you all roll necros and all go MM and do the same sort of thing? So much has changed in this game from two years ago. Also, this game isn’t Guild Wars 1 and never will be. The combat is so much better in my personal opinion in this game. The movement, the mobility, and everything else combat related. I get what you are saying about GW1 and the crazy build combos, really, I get it. This game just isn’t Guild Wars 1.5. It’s a different animal altogether. Try and look at it as a different franchise entirely and then you can possibly enjoy the little nods to the past..

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Lictor Alpha.3724

WvW is what you want it to be. If you join up with the zerg (especially on top tier servers), then yes, you’re going to be blobbing. If you choose to roam solo or in small groups, then you’ll be doing something different.

As for PvE:

If someone is dying to mobs in two or three hits, they should probably learn the mechanics of the game, especially the mechanic of dodging. There are also invul and evade skills, reflects, retaliation, etc. And as for counter play, there are definitely forms of it (reflect, retaliation, CC skills).

I’m not sure what you mean by slow traveling. Do you mean running speeds? If so, nope, that hasn’t changed; mesmers especially suffer from a lack of running speed options.

But you could always log into the game and give it a try yourself. If things aren’t to your liking still, then continue avoiding the game.

Reinstalling now, just chilling on the forums til it installs. At launch NPC’s would get stronger based on the number of people fighting/around them. They has massive scaling issues to the point where even starter NPC’s would 1 shot you with basic attacks if you did not dodge, and you can’t dodge every attack since they attack faster then you’re energy refills.

I almost rage quit vs one quest boss in the lvl 10-15 zone that would do an instant stun followed by a huge AoE persistent DoT circle attack, that would do 20k+ dmg a second. There was nothing you could do about it because there were at least 40 people all downed around him and the bodys just kept piling up.

(edited by Lictor Alpha.3724)

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Reinstalling now, just chilling on the forums til it installs. At launch NPC’s would get stronger based on the number of people fighting them. They has massive scaling issues to the point where even starter NPC’s would 1 shot you with basic attacks if you did not dodge, and you can’t dodge every attack since they attack faster then you’re energy refills.

I almost rage quit vs one quest boss in the lvl 10-15 zone that would do an instant stun followed by a huge AoE circle attack, that would do 20k+ dmg a second. There was nothing you could do about it because there were at least 40 people all downed around him and the bodys just kept piling up.

Well, the case you referenced sounds like a bug in the scaling. I’ve seen a case of something that bad maybe three or four times, and they were all fixed quickly. Many mobs still scale up based on the number of people around (especially in the case of bosses), but it’s usually nothing insane like that. But you do still have to actively avoid certain attacks and use your skills to your advantage (stability to get out of a field that stuns you, an invul to avoid a massive hit that you can’t dodge, aegis for when you can’t dodge, etc.).

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

If you want Guild Wars 1 redux you are going to be dissatisfied. Your best bet is to ignore the name and pretend you’re playing a game by another company. If you don’t like it on its own terms and what it has to offer, then maybe another game would suit you better.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

As for PvE:

But you could always log into the game and give it a try yourself. If things aren’t to your liking still, then continue avoiding the game.

Reinstalling now, just chilling on the forums til it installs. At launch NPC’s would get stronger based on the number of people fighting/around them. They has massive scaling issues to the point where even starter NPC’s would 1 shot you with basic attacks if you did not dodge, and you can’t dodge every attack since they attack faster then you’re energy refills.

I almost rage quit vs one quest boss in the lvl 10-15 zone that would do an instant stun followed by a huge AoE persistent DoT circle attack, that would do 20k+ dmg a second. There was nothing you could do about it because there were at least 40 people all downed around him and the bodys just kept piling up.

Are you talking about the giant in charr lands that melee stomp people?

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

If you want Guild Wars 1 redux you are going to be dissatisfied. Your best bet is to ignore the name and pretend you’re playing a game by another company. If you don’t like it on its own terms and what it has to offer, then maybe another game would suit you better.

This is the best advice anyone is going to give you. I can pick apart some of your comments in your OP, but i wont since that wont solve anything. If you have to force yourself to like a game, then it is just not for you (as I found out with games like Rift).

I hope you do like GW2 – the more the merrier, but based on what you are looking for, I suspect you wont.