What if Ascended had been only skins?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

What if “Ascended” items had been simply skins, and no stats were included? Looking at the ways to get ascended items and fractal gear, would people still be doing it if it was cosmetic only?

Fractals of the Mists could easily have been given something other than Agony as a challenge that grows as you go deeper. Player levels dropping a point every few levels, for example. There would have been no non-visible Ascended items, but things like the backpacks would have existed as a sign that the wearer had made progress into the fractals. Perhaps different colors could have marked how deep you had to go to earn them.

Ascended skins made by crafting would show that the player had gone far beyond “normal” crafting and into the very difficult “epic” levels of crafting. They would be a badge of sorts, a reward that simply shows that you’ve gone above and beyond normal skills at your craft. Carrying an Ascended ax or staff would be the mark of a master craftsman.

So, I ask, would people have gone for things like this? Did we really need stats, or can you look at the challenges and say “I’d do that for just the skin”, whatever your motivation would be?

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Banquetto.9521

Banquetto.9521

Well, this approach would have meant that Ascended gear actually did fill “the gap” between Exotics and Legendaries. Since, of course, there was previously no stat gap in there. Only a (massive!) gap in difficulty acquiring them.

My only concern would be that design is so subjective that it could be a real challenge to try to come up with Ascended skins that were widely agreed to be cooler than Exotics, but “less cool” than Legendaries!

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

What if “Ascended” items had been simply skins, and no stats were included? Looking at the ways to get ascended items and fractal gear, would people still be doing it if it was cosmetic only?

Fractals of the Mists could easily have been given something other than Agony as a challenge that grows as you go deeper. Player levels dropping a point every few levels, for example. There would have been no non-visible Ascended items, but things like the backpacks would have existed as a sign that the wearer had made progress into the fractals. Perhaps different colors could have marked how deep you had to go to earn them.

Ascended skins made by crafting would show that the player had gone far beyond “normal” crafting and into the very difficult “epic” levels of crafting. They would be a badge of sorts, a reward that simply shows that you’ve gone above and beyond normal skills at your craft. Carrying an Ascended ax or staff would be the mark of a master craftsman.

So, I ask, would people have gone for things like this? Did we really need stats, or can you look at the challenges and say “I’d do that for just the skin”, whatever your motivation would be?

Fractals was just an excuse Anet used in order to introduce Ascended gear so that they could appease the stat grinders. They could easily have added infusion slots to exotic gear or made Ascended gear the same stats as exotics but with an additional Agony-Resistance infusion slot (if the coding made it hard to simply add infusion to exotics).

As for cosmetic “Ascended” — we already had all those mystic fountain weapons like Mjolnir that bridged the gap between Legendaries and Exotics. They could have just added more skins to those groups of weapons.

Palador.2170

As for cosmetic “Ascended” — we already had all those mystic fountain weapons like Mjolnir that bridged the gap between Legendaries and Exotics. They could have just added more skins to those groups of weapons.

That’s a good point, and they needed to do that. Still need to, actually.

Posted by: Tiger.7506

Tiger.7506

i and many others will stop play !

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

I think you would have found an entirely different group of people on these forums complaining.

It would seem there’s a segment of the player base that wants SOME from of vertical progression (the degree of which seems to vary). Arena.net clearly is throwing them a bone with the Ascended stuff. Will it keep their interest? Is it a good idea to upset your “legacy” players with the move?

Who knows? We’ll find out, though.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Ascended gear is just a fix for exotics, which were far too easy to obtain. It has to have increased stats, because that’s the point. If they could go back in time, the current exotic tier wouldn’t exist and the current ascended tier would be exotic.

If cosmetics were all people wanted, stat based progression wouldn’t be so popular. Even non stat-based games are doing it, like shooters. It’s simply a clear goal to work towards that includes everyone, whereas cosmetics is a matter of opinion. For example, if you don’t care about the way you look or alternatively, like the way you already look, additional cosmetics are meaningless. Stat progression on the other hand is something that everyone will have to face… eventually.

If GW2 had a skin locker that basically treated every unique skin as an achievement, skins would be treated much differently, though it still wouldn’t appeal to those needing stat progression.

Posted by: Denial Of Service.5732

Denial Of Service.5732

I think you would have found an entirely different group of people on these forums complaining.

It would seem there’s a segment of the player base that wants SOME from of vertical progression (the degree of which seems to vary). Arena.net clearly is throwing them a bone with the Ascended stuff. Will it keep their interest? Is it a good idea to upset your “legacy” players with the move?

Who knows? We’ll find out, though.

The sad thing is once they complete the ascended they will starve for more carrots in other sticks, and people like me who doesnt care about grinding for stats will be again in a second job LIKE ANY OTHER MMO out there.

“you dont need them”

if they are not NEEDED why they were introduced? i dont get this point, GW2 bought me with cosmetic game

HELL!! even ascended are anti-cosmetic, i like the cleric ascended and would fit really good with my guardian but guess what i dont need those stats so if i want a white ascended greatsword i need to craft the one with the stats i need and then craft the white one THEN transmute the white greatsword skin INTO the other ascended.

so in order to get the skin i like i need to craft 2 ascended weapons, tell me again where is the cosmetic game?

this my get censored but sometimes i think ANET staff is just a room of guys and girls punching they keyboard and high on some substance im not a developer im just a simple guy why not make the ascended weapons crafted and CHOOSE the skin you wanted from a GUI like you select the stats?.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Ascended gear is just a fix for exotics, which were far too easy to obtain. It has to have increased stats, because that’s the point. If they could go back in time, the current exotic tier wouldn’t exist and the current ascended tier would be exotic.

If cosmetics were all people wanted, stat based progression wouldn’t be so popular. Even non stat-based games are doing it, like shooters. It’s simply a clear goal to work towards that includes everyone, whereas cosmetics is a matter of opinion. For example, if you don’t care about the way you look or alternatively, like the way you already look, additional cosmetics are meaningless. Stat progression on the other hand is something that everyone will have to face… eventually.

If GW2 had a skin locker that basically treated every unique skin as an achievement, skins would be treated much differently, though it still wouldn’t appeal to those needing stat progression.

Why is stat progression necessary? Why do we need better weapons or gear? Is the PvE so hard right now that people are unable to do it unless they get better gear?

Are people just hamsters running their wheel, happy with the illusion that they’re going somewhere?

Is it not possible to make a game where players want to play because it’s fun/challenging/exciting and not because they just want to see bigger numbers?

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

I would never waste hundreds of gold getting from 400-500 then waiting two weeks to craft one fugly weapon like the one im crafting (toughness based GS which is green n ugly as hell)

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Palador.2170

I would never waste hundreds of gold getting from 400-500 then waiting two weeks to craft one fugly weapon like the one im crafting (toughness based GS which is green n ugly as hell)

Would you do it for one of the other colors? Or for any skin, for that matter? No stats, just a skin that shows you’ve mastered a craft above and beyond the practical limits of the game.

Posted by: Konrad Curze.5130

Konrad Curze.5130

if ascended items were skin only, the people that believed in ANet’s manifesto would be happy, and the farmer drones would be sad

since farmers are a lot more, Anet like the bait and switch mofos they are,shamelessly took a dump on their manifesto and instead did what they promised to never do.

hence, ascended items with stats

Posted by: God Of Fissures.8627

God Of Fissures.8627

If Ascended were only skins, then it would be just like legendary…

…so why would you even have to bother with Ascended?

i7-3770K (Delidded) @ 4.6GHz | nVidia GTX TITAN X@ 1468/7800
ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz @ 2400MHz
Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSD | Windows 10 x64

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Would you do it for one of the other colors? Or for any skin, for that matter? No stats, just a skin that shows you’ve mastered a craft above and beyond the practical limits of the game.

I wouldn’t, i find these ascended weapons almost as ugly as the weapons you’re starting the game with. If i had choice, i’d go with a sado-maso (as hard as it gets) dungeon to get all the cool looking gear cuz i enjoy getting stuff by doing something something called play the freaking thing and not craft everything in a city. Imagine if the whole purpose of an rpg was to buy the game, instal on your computer, buy gems, exchange them for in game money, use that money to buy all needed mats, craft all weapons and armors of your liking. How pathetic does that sound? Crafting &^%$ is a city=zero adventure been given.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Fletch.3572

Fletch.3572

Pink and purple text do crazy things to peoples minds.
I don’t even know what level I’m scaled to half the time, and totally lost interest in giving a poop.