What if Death wasn't an option?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Relots.6439

Relots.6439

Death is easy. In Guild Wars 2 death means waypointing/waiting for a rez. If you want to charge into the unknown with reckless disregard for safety, it works, but sadly it takes away from your run-of-the-mill adventuring.
Anyone who played the original Guild Wars probably remembers the Survivor title: 1,337,500 xp without dying. One slip-up, one moment of distraction, and your shot at the title was gone(later it merely reset). Diablo 3 took it one step further with its Hardcore mode: no restarts, no decking your new character out in the best gear from the start, and death means game over. Period. It’s harsh, yes, but it adds a delicious edge to everything you do, no matter how mundane. The idea here is to have a group of people sharing this same agenda to play together. The basic ground rules are: No importing equipment from other characters(i.e. no bank access) apart from bags, no crafting, and only partying with other hardcore toons. And dead is dead. You die before level 80, you delete the character(or you could, of course, choose to keep it, but remove it from HC activities.) Ideally, we’d like to take these characters throughout even the most challenging portions of the game, including dungeons.
We want to create a persistently challenging experience, as well as investment in these avatars. Normally if someone dies it’s simply “lol, oops!” and a rez/WP. But picture this: You and a couple HC players are engaged in a tough battle. You’re on the edge of your seat as you dodge, maneuver, and use every skill at your disposal to survive. The battle is prolonged and one of your buddies gets trapped and downed in a mob. You face a choice. You know he’s put 10, 20, 30+ hours into his character. You can play it safe and retreat, or put your own avatar at risk to revive/rally him. You make a split-second decision and leap into the fray, disrupting your foes enough to buy the downed player some time. It’s enough for your party to kill an enemy and rally him. Everyone scrambles for safety, the rallied player breathes a deep sigh of relief, and you reassemble yourselves to finish off your weakened enemies. Which sounds more fun to you?
Come on, you know you are up to the challenge….

Posted by: Blix.8021

Blix.8021

Diablo 3 took it one step further with its Hardcore mode:

lol.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Anyone who played the original Guild Wars probably remembers the Survivor title: 1,337,500 xp without dying. One slip-up, one moment of distraction, and your shot at the title was gone(later it merely reset).

One slip-up, one moment of distraction, one ill-timed server lag or crash, one unfortunate game bug, or one miscalculated boss strength and your shot at the title was gone.

Posted by: Ashadow.6874

Ashadow.6874

But picture this: You and a couple HC players are engaged in a tough battle. You’re on the edge of your seat as you dodge, maneuver, and use every skill at your disposal to survive. The battle is prolonged and one of your buddies gets trapped and downed in a mob. You face a choice. You know he’s put 10, 20, 30+ hours into his character. You can play it safe and retreat, or put your own avatar at risk to revive/rally him. You make a split-second decision and leap into the fray, disrupting your foes enough to buy the downed player some time. It’s enough for your party to kill an enemy and rally him. Everyone scrambles for safety, the rallied player breathes a deep sigh of relief, and you reassemble yourselves to finish off your weakened enemies. Which sounds more fun to you?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

PLEASE DO. WOULD PAY FOR $$$ — HARDCORE — EXPANSION/SERVER!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Again, please do Anet. Please do.

#SAB 2014 plx

#OccupySAB2014

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

PLEASE DO. WOULD PAY FOR $$$ — HARDCORE — EXPANSION/SERVER!

As long as it’s completely voluntary and kept on the other side of a big fence. I think a hardcore server would be nice, if only to give people what they want so they can realize that what they want isn’t always what they really want. I had this same idea when thinking about adding a hard mode to current dungeons (which probably would be much less work on ANet’s side than having to tweak every mob and ability in the open world).

Posted by: Dice Dragon.4326

Dice Dragon.4326

id play hardcore characters. but it would suck being unable to deck it out. no matter how good i am, i aint going to deck out my dude in exotic when I could lose all that gold investment!

Posted by: Amnariel.3659

Amnariel.3659

This kind of thread was deleted 1-2 weeks ago if I remember correct,the other one aprox 1 month ago. Cheers

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

picture this: You and a couple HC players are engaged in a tough battle. You’re on the edge of your seat as you dodge, maneuver, and use every skill at your disposal to survive. The battle is prolonged and one of your buddies gets trapped and downed in a mob. You face a choice. You know he’s put 10, 20, 30+ hours into his character. You can play it safe and retreat, or put your own avatar at risk to revive/rally him. You make a split-second decision and leap into the fray, disrupting your foes enough to buy the downed player some time. It’s enough for your party to kill an enemy and rally him. Everyone scrambles for safety, the rallied player breathes a deep sigh of relief, and you reassemble yourselves to finish off your weakened enemies. Which sounds more fun to you?

What choice? There is only one option: Run away and let the player die. If the other players have put in hours to progress their hardcore character they will not risk their own necks to save someone else. It just won’t happen. Or at the very least the population of honorable HC players will be tiny. We saw it in GW1 with the Survivor title. The moment that title was introduce pug’s had player dropping from teams like flies. If a pull when tricky the survivors in the group left or logged out. It was not a happy time for many. Once the guides came out of course players tended to congregate to the areas best for XP gain at low risk. Life takes the path of least resistance, and most HC players will not behave any differently.

It’s a nice idea but there is no way to successfully work it into GW2. Also, you’d have to keep HC and normal players seperate. There would be many angry players if it was introduced, because HC players would either be leaving instances when the risk is too great or they would be hanging back and not pulling their weight as much as the rest of the group. They would leave dungeons, world bosses, fractals, you name it. And that would only create frustration and a split player base. And no, I do not think Anet would create a whole new and seperate game just for HC players.

It’s a pipe dream that doesn’t fit this game. If you want hardcore, I suggest finding a different game that offers it, because it will never happen in GW2. The only thing like this I can see Anet adding are special instances where when you die you are removed from the instance. But losing your character all together will not happen. And that in my opinion is a good thing.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

That would never, ever work in the open world. Hardcore instances could be interesting though.

Posted by: Relots.6439

Relots.6439

picture this: You and a couple HC players are engaged in a tough battle. You’re on the edge of your seat as you dodge, maneuver, and use every skill at your disposal to survive. The battle is prolonged and one of your buddies gets trapped and downed in a mob. You face a choice. You know he’s put 10, 20, 30+ hours into his character. You can play it safe and retreat, or put your own avatar at risk to revive/rally him. You make a split-second decision and leap into the fray, disrupting your foes enough to buy the downed player some time. It’s enough for your party to kill an enemy and rally him. Everyone scrambles for safety, the rallied player breathes a deep sigh of relief, and you reassemble yourselves to finish off your weakened enemies. Which sounds more fun to you?

What choice? There is only one option: Run away and let the player die. If the other players have put in hours to progress their hardcore character they will not risk their own necks to save someone else. It just won’t happen. Or at the very least the population of honorable HC players will be tiny. We saw it in GW1 with the Survivor title. The moment that title was introduce pug’s had player dropping from teams like flies. If a pull when tricky the survivors in the group left or logged out. It was not a happy time for many. Once the guides came out of course players tended to congregate to the areas best for XP gain at low risk. Life takes the path of least resistance, and most HC players will not behave any differently.

It’s a nice idea but there is no way to successfully work it into GW2. Also, you’d have to keep HC and normal players seperate. There would be many angry players if it was introduced, because HC players would either be leaving instances when the risk is too great or they would be hanging back and not pulling their weight as much as the rest of the group. They would leave dungeons, world bosses, fractals, you name it. And that would only create frustration and a split player base. And no, I do not think Anet would create a whole new and seperate game just for HC players.

It’s a pipe dream that doesn’t fit this game. If you want hardcore, I suggest finding a different game that offers it, because it will never happen in GW2. The only thing like this I can see Anet adding are special instances where when you die you are removed from the instance. But losing your character all together will not happen. And that in my opinion is a good thing.

I think I’m being misunderstood. I’m not so much looking for ANet to change the game/add servers/ or even implement a HC mode. I’m just looking for like minded players who want to do it with me. I’m already doing it (well have been off and on for a while now). It’s a blast….until you die. There is no reason to keep HC and normal characters separate. Nobody in the open world knows what you’re doing, so they have no reason to grief you. It’s also a great way to make decent friends. You know the person traveling with you will have your back because he doesn’t want to see you die either. My buddy and I are currently working on this, but I understand if it’s not for everyone.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

I think I’m being misunderstood. I’m not so much looking for ANet to change the game/add servers/ or even implement a HC mode. I’m just looking for like minded players who want to do it with me. I’m already doing it (well have been off and on for a while now). It’s a blast….until you die. There is no reason to keep HC and normal characters separate. Nobody in the open world knows what you’re doing, so they have no reason to grief you. It’s also a great way to make decent friends. You know the person traveling with you will have your back because he doesn’t want to see you die either. My buddy and I are currently working on this, but I understand if it’s not for everyone.

hmmm i would do it, but… dunno if i can make myself log into gw2 on reg basis these days, just a feeling of ehhh disatisfaction.

too bad you didnt catch me a couple months ago. + id probably have to delete or buy a slot ehhh

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

Perhaps someone can make a guild based on this game-style? I’d definitely join it on an alt for the fun of it. the only problem I could see is people not following the rules properly, but oh well, it’s their loss

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

phys.7689

guild would probably work pretty well. its opt in, and could theoretically have a lot of people at once.

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

I see, so you are kind of role playing a game mode? In that case go for it. What you do with your game is up to you. It’s fun to think of ways to make a game more interesting or challenging. If you get enjoyment out of pretending your character is HC, then I say go for it. So long as you don’t grief other players because of it, but it doesn’t sound like you are.

I’m sure there are a few ways you can add fun challenges to the game. Skinny Boss Fighting (like skinny dipping but with bosses instead of water), Walking Combat (though that can get frustrating in some situatiosn lol), White Gear Dungeon Runs, etc.

Now I understand what you mean I may even give the RP Hardcore Character a try some time

As to the guild thing, you could create a guild that only does unusual challenges, such as pretend hardcore characters and armourless boss fights.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

phys.7689

I see, so you are kind of role playing a game mode? In that case go for it. What you do with your game is up to you. It’s fun to think of ways to make a game more interesting or challenging. If you get enjoyment out of pretending your character is HC, then I say go for it. So long as you don’t grief other players because of it, but it doesn’t sound like you are.

I’m sure there are a few ways you can add fun challenges to the game. Skinny Boss Fighting (like skinny dipping but with bosses instead of water), Walking Combat (though that can get frustrating in some situatiosn lol), White Gear Dungeon Runs, etc.

Now I understand what you mean I may even give the RP Hardcore Character a try some time

As to the guild thing, you could create a guild that only does unusual challenges, such as pretend hardcore characters and armourless boss fights.

if you agree to delete your charachter when it dies, its not really pretend.. I would think one would want to stay far away from naked boss fights if chr deletion is on the line.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

@ OP

Coming from someone that followed the recent Death threads…. I would strongly suggest you change your thread title and refine your initial post to more clearly communicate your idea.
A lot of people will respond negatively without reading past your initial post, or even your title. I’ve seen it happen. It becomes a problem when those negative responses start piling up and newer people that join in on your discussion grow confused as to what the message is.
Death and death penalties are hot topics.
Just my two cents. Take it or leave it.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

lol imagine all of the treads saying that their death was not their fault and they want their gear/gold back.

omg i would love to see that

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Anyone who’d want this is completely bonkers. The game is filled with so many instant-kill effects that one lagspike could mean redoing thousands of hours…no wait, tens of minutes of gameplay, because you’d never get much beyond that.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

Anyone who’d want this is completely bonkers. The game is filled with so many instant-kill effects that one lagspike could mean redoing thousands of hours…no wait, tens of minutes of gameplay, because you’d never get much beyond that.

as someone who has done rp hardcore runs in other games (minecraft, pokemon, dark souls, etc.) I think this is a really cool idea.

UNLESS, of course, you didn’t even read the topic (or any of the posts) and thought he was thinking about adding that feature to the base game. but who would be silly enough to do that..

I still suggest someone (OP?) start a guild for people like us who wants to do this. I would make it myself but I’ve already created two guilds and I’d only be doing this on an alt :P

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

phys.7689

pretty sure it wouldnt really be that hard, lag spike is the big threat. The big challenge would come later, if you try to go after hard content, or jump puzzles.

Posted by: Aguri.2896

Aguri.2896

I was just thinking about this. Either the death penalty needs to be increased or hard core characters need to be introduced. This game is so great but combat feels so cheap because you don’t have ANY penalties. No repair fees, no potions, no chance at losing items, no experience loss and walking back to where you died is just a hop, skip and a jump away. They have the downed state which gives players a chance to cheat death, so why not make death a little more meaningful when it actually happens?

Playing hardcore sounds like it would be fun if you knew people with the right mindset .My only concern is that some people would be too scared to die and there would be too many defensive type characters with selfish intentions that don’t contribute to the survival of their teammates. There wouldn’t be enough DPS and support leaving a lot of room for human error, so the true team players(DPS, healing, buffs, utility) would die.

I’m only here because sometimes I just like to watch things burn.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

You guys don’t need ArenaNet to implement a Hardcore Mode for you. If you want to do this, delete your character when you die. There are no achievements, but you can handle everything else yourselves.

phys.7689

You guys don’t need ArenaNet to implement a Hardcore Mode for you. If you want to do this, delete your character when you die. There are no achievements, but you can handle everything else yourselves.

yeah thats what the op was suggesting.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

This has been done before (and is a fun thing). I have one guildie who got into the level 40’s before dying on one attempt, I believe. His best death was in the first few attempts when he misjudged a jump off a cliff.

Posted by: Inverted.7439

Inverted.7439

This could be so much fun, too bad gw2 is a “casual” mmo and the only dev at Anet that wants to implement harder content/improve the playerbases overall skill is Josh 4man. Sad as it is this game’s only going to get easier and easier until you don’t even need to put your face on the keyboard to play.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I still have 3 80s that have never died .. and wait for the moment they die because of falling damage running down a hill like this one :

And btw. i played Diablo 2 Hardcore, and since then simply hate dying and never understand those people that always think the game is too easy if you don’t die ever 10 minutes or so.

Attachments:

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Which sounds more fun to you?

current death system in guild wars 2 is fine and fun for me.
if i want a perma death experience i will play an offline turn based rouge like game, for example Ancient Domains Of Mystery (ADOM) and even so i will save scum by making backups of my save game.

so no, the death system in guild wars 2 is perfect for me.
yes, fun for me. i am sure a lot of other players find it to be good.

guild wars 2 is a game for casual players.
do remember that.

Posted by: Lamir.6702

Lamir.6702

You can always create your own guild and enforce the rules among your own members. I’ve seen this hardcore death style option in other games and it’s funny. Didn’t really add anything to the challenge but people liked to play it as an ego boost as if it took them more skill just to use the cheesiest/lowest risk tactics to get as far into the game as they could.