Beorn Saxon.4762

Pros:
- Adds longevity to JPs
- JPs are already fun (for some), now they are rewarding
- Don’t have hop on the ‘champ train’ farm
- equally as challenging, if not more so, than killing a champ

Cons:
- Mesmer would port people to the end

I honestly love JPs, but after getting the JP achievements I never returned to them. Anet put a lot of work into them and I’d love to go back to them if they were rewarding. Yes, some players would bi-pass the JP by getting a port, but even then, I don’t see farming JPs to be any faster than farming champs, so I don’t think it would be game breaking. It would just be more diversity to get rewarded for one of the fun areas of the game. They could even add in new weapon skins that fall from JPs only!

TL;DR – JPs are fun, but never revisited after the achievement. Give them good loot. Farming them would still take longer and be more challenging than farming champs, so why not?

Discuss!

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

(edited by Beorn Saxon.4762)

What if JPs Dropped Champ Loot

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

I wholeheartedly agree! I think they probably overlooked this, can definitely see it in the future (on Anet’s time that would be a short 2-3 years only)

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: StriderShinryu.6923

StriderShinryu.6923

I would totally do a few JPs a day if the loot was better.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

It’s not an awful idea but I just shivered at the thought of people using speed buffs just as I jump and the constant spamming of portal requests. Can’t do anything about that, though.

What would you suggest for those jps you can park a character at the end of?

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

I agree, though this is one of those things that should definitely be account-bound. \

Also – Mesmer porting is community interaction of a positive sort.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I agree, though this is one of those things that should definitely be account-bound. \

Also – Mesmer porting is community interaction of a positive sort.

Oh, absolutely. It’s the request spamming for a portal like its expected to be there already. You know, when the entitled mob show up.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Gilburt.9146

Gilburt.9146

This would be awesome, but to implement it Anet would probably have to nerf portal inside jumping puzzles. I love jumping puzzles, but because of the horrible rewards I usually only revisit them for the monthly achievement. They aren’t worth the time/effort (especially the dangerous ones where waypoint/armor repair fees will take a significant chunk of your already meager reward if you miss a jump or get caught in a trap).

Brother Gilburt – Guard / Agent Gilburt – Thief

Posted by: Lithril Ashwalker.6230

Lithril Ashwalker.6230

you can only get into a puzzle chest once per day per reset. no need to nerf portals anyway. either way getting someone to portal u there anyway is hard enough. im all for this but not the unnecessary portal change to JP’s

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Probably because those with third party fly hacking would have a field day with the free instant loot. Anet would be hesitant on doing that.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Probably because those with third party fly hacking would have a field day with the free instant loot. Anet would be hesitant on doing that.

Following a blob around Frostgorge or CS would probably be more profitable and less likely to be detected and not limited to once per day per character.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Yes this needs to be done, same with mini dungeons etc, to get people back into doing them, as they are now pretty dead..

Following a blob around Frostgorge or CS would probably be more profitable and less likely to be detected and not limited to once per day per character.

Which is true, if its not nerfed some way, but at least it would give players another avenue to get stuff while playing the game..

(edited by Dante.1508)

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

“Let’s not do that because hackers will abuse it ?” I’d say to go for it and see those hackers come out more easily.

And as of right now, even if you manage to find a mesmer at the end of EVERY JP, it would be incredibly faster to just follow a champion farming zerg.

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

What would you suggest for those jps you can park a character at the end of?

nothing. working as intended.
jumping puzzles chests are daily so no harm done there.

Posted by: zeromius.1604

zeromius.1604

This is an awesome idea. The main reason for the champion loot drops was to encourage people to actually kill champions. The problem is that there are just too many champions spawning at the Anchorage.

As for unique rewards, I’m thinking that a jumpsuit skin set would be nice. Maybe have some really neat skins like a quaggan suit, diving gear, etc.

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Jumping puzzles (along with mini-dungeons) will be some of the locations that begin rewarding ascended crafting materials once crafting to 500 goes live; this is intended to help make these areas more rewarding and fun to go back to and play.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I totally support this idea. The bag quality that drops could also be linked to the quality of the chest at the end, so Magnificent chests drop Exotic bags, while Splendid chests drop bags that are appropriate to the map level. Since chests can only be opened once a day per character, this should lead to a natural gating mechanism where people can’t exploit it too badly. At least, no more than just camping Champions in the open world or joining the Pavilion/CS/Queensdale zerg does.

EDIT: Just saw Colin’s post above. Awesome news! I’ve always loved doing the JPs whenever I happened to pass by them in the world, and now there’s even more reason to do so!

(edited by Zaxares.5419)

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Jumping puzzles (along with mini-dungeons) will be some of the locations that begin rewarding ascended crafting materials once crafting to 500 goes live; this is intended to help make these areas more rewarding and fun to go back to and play.

I hope we don’t hear from “I’m punished by having alts” crowd chiming in here.

As a guy with 5 lvl 80’s parked at jumping puzzles, this pleases me.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

Time to park my alts at jumping puzzles. Too bad only one is lvl 80 :p

Posted by: Alys Florent.1359

Alys Florent.1359

Yes! Minidungeons are one of my absolute favorite parts of this game. Finally people will have a good reason to do Vexa’s Lab with me, especially since the golem boss fight is as or more interesting than a lot of dungeon bosses (though I wish the sharks in the tank were buffed, to aggro easily and kill quickly, so people would really have to worry about not falling in).

zeromius.1604

While this would make for a great addition to the game, I think we should also address the issue with rewarding based on difficulty. As with dungeons, champions, and dynamic events not all jumping puzzles are equal in difficulty. That part is fine and in theory players will do all content just for fun. However, as we’ve already seen in the past human nature will take over. People will always walk the path of least resistance.

We’ve seen certain dungeon paths like CoF 3, SE 2, HoTW 2, 3 abandoned because the other paths are shorter yet yield the same rewards. With the most recent path that was meant to encourage people to kill champions we see dynamic events being abandoned and ironically many champions are simply ignored because they’re not worth the effort.

I’m not criticizing you or your team as I think you’re going in the right direction. With that being said, I think the are some lessons that can be learned from the past. More difficult jumping puzzles should yield better rewards than easier ones. I agree that it defeats the spirit of doing the jumping puzzles in the first place. There are a lot of people like myself that do jumping puzzles for fun rather than for the chest at the end. Unfortunately, we all have to come to the realization that the vast majority of players will need an incentive to do the harder jumping puzzles. If not, they will simply stick to the easy ones because it’s not worth going out of their way for.

Posted by: Munrock.3092

Munrock.3092

You could fix Mesmer portals through jumping puzzles by making the chest only spawn for people who have passed through specific checkpoints along the JP route, instead of just one checkpoint at the end.

Posted by: niwaar.5631

niwaar.5631

I simply do not think you understand the word “fun” when you use it sentences like this.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

You could fix Mesmer portals through jumping puzzles by making the chest only spawn for people who have passed through specific checkpoints along the JP route, instead of just one checkpoint at the end.

That is going to be fun considering the devs frequently weird choices for placing those trigger locations.

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

CON: Teleport hackers would be making a lot of coin.

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

New guild activity: parker mesmers porting people to the end of JPs. There will either be an RNG or account daily gate. The new GW2 design is to park a character somewhere and do something trivial every day. Park someone at a crafting station for the crafting mat, park someone at a JP for the JP mat, park someone at a place of power to get the Charged Quartz, park someone at the home instance to farm Quartz.

No need to play the game to obtain stuff any more, just park characters an log in each day.

Posted by: Pinkus.2860

Pinkus.2860

Simple solution to the Mesmer Portals. Alter the mechanics of the JP’s so they work like Guild Rush, needing to pass through (potentially invisible for these JP’s) checkpoints to be able to open the chest.

Also a solution for the ‘Alt Parking’. Once you loot the chest, you immediately get teleported back to the entrance.

Pinkus – Webmaster
First Light Gaming [DAWN] – PvX OCEANIC COMMUNITY – BLACKGATE
http://www.firstlightgaming.com

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

So long as you can acquire these new mats through other means (80+ champs, wvw, etc.) then I have no problem with it. However if the mats are exclusive to the jp’s and mini dungeons I will be quite choked (again). As happened with the ascended rings that were introduced through fotm exclusively at first, it left out the WvW players and we are STILL left behind in the ascended accessory and back piece category.

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

there is no need to fix the mesmer portals or characters parking at the chests.
it is working as intended.

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

The latest one that i remember is Malchor’s Leap…i don’t think i remember one in cursed shore…is that the one that is lvl 80?

Also, I thought they fixed it to give you loot based on your actual level…so if your level 80, you get the proper rewards for ur level.

Posted by: Rook.9486

Rook.9486

Rewarding? Maybe. More fun? No. If someone doesn’t like jumping puzzles to begin with, better loot only serves to make them force themselves to play for phat loots.

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

The latest one that i remember is Malchor’s Leap…i don’t think i remember one in cursed shore…is that the one that is lvl 80?

Also, I thought they fixed it to give you loot based on your actual level…so if your level 80, you get the proper rewards for ur level.

There is a JP chest at the far south of Cursed Shore below Rotbeard’s ship. It’s the one where you jump on mushrooms and avoid eagle bombs. The hardest part about it is the mobs at the end, the jumps themselves are very easy.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

While I love the idea, can the JPs be categorized into three groups for this?

1. Easy to reach OR fast to do, like the Ogre one in Lion’s Arch. No such rewards.
  2. Average (this includes difficult ones close to cities like the other two in LA): Normal rewards.
  3. Difficult to reach and/or annoying to do: Increased rewards. Examples here could be the one in Orr, or the one in Southsun Cove.
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

1. Easy to reach OR fast to do, like the Ogre one in Lion’s Arch. No such rewards.
  2. Average (this includes difficult ones close to cities like the other two in LA): Normal rewards.
  3. Difficult to reach and/or annoying to do: Increased rewards. Examples here could be the one in Orr, or the one in Southsun Cove.

this would be better.
1. minimal normal rewards
2. more than normal rewards
3. way lot more than normal rewards

numerical example:
1. gives one ascended crafting materials
2. gives two ascended crafting materials
3. gives five ascended crafting materials

guild wars 2 is a casual game, for casual players.
hardcore players are rewarded too.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

i read this and just started laughing like an idiot.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

People are lame, they will just park every single alt they have with the different JP’s and collect the loot. No, bad idea.

zeromius.1604

People are lame, they will just park every single alt they have with the different JP’s and collect the loot. No, bad idea.

It’s not too difficult for them to teleport you back to the entrance of the jumping puzzle. This could happen right as you log in or even right after you open the chest. Mesmers won’t be able to port people with this system in place. We’ve already seen it being done with waypoints that become contested just as you’re trying to use them.

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

there is nothing wrong with parking characters.

there is no need to fix what is not broken.

Posted by: Dingle.2743

Dingle.2743

They already are categorized this way. Each JP has a different quality chest, which rewards a different number of items. The three in Lion’s Arch demonstrate this perfectly: Urmaug’s Secret gives two items, Troll’s End gives three items, and Weyandt’s Revenge gives four items. The average rarity of items in the chests increases as well. If the loot is tied to the chest, then ArenaNet already have a system in place to sort the ascended item rewards based on JP.

Posted by: biofrog.1568

biofrog.1568

In its current state, I would roll a mesmer and make stupid amounts of profit from porting people. I’m one of the lucky who find JP’s pretty easy and run them frequently (and just for fun).

In my preferred change, I would absolutely find some way of blocking mesmer portals from giving instant rewards with no effort. It is a pet peeve of mine that really annoys the hell out of me; that people with no jumping skill get 100% of the reward that skillful jumpers receive.

Yeah, it’s that whole skill-vs-reward thing again.

“There’s no lag but what we make.” – biofrog

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

They already are categorized this way. Each JP has a different quality chest, which rewards a different number of items. The three in Lion’s Arch demonstrate this perfectly: Urmaug’s Secret gives two items, Troll’s End gives three items, and Weyandt’s Revenge gives four items. The average rarity of items in the chests increases as well. If the loot is tied to the chest, then ArenaNet already have a system in place to sort the ascended item rewards based on JP.

are you sure weyandt’s chest has better loot table? O_O

Posted by: Kerishan.8460

Kerishan.8460

This is a great idea Colin but if i have already done all this jumping puzzle multiple times for achievements and chest reward why now put some great reward? Who start now is fine but i have already done it multiple times, it’s boring doing the same things 142515241 times in 1 year. Add some type of feature that if you have achievement for jumping puzzle you can receive the reward.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I have no problem with it if they make some kind of begin and end part of the JP, some kind of port you have to go through first or else the chest will be locked for you. No more parking of chars at the chest when such a thing happens.

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

I have no problem with it if they make some kind of begin and end part of the JP, some kind of port you have to go through first or else the chest will be locked for you. No more parking of chars at the chest when such a thing happens.

too much coding to do.
they will not do it.

things are fine as they are now, no need to break it.

Posted by: Victoitor.2917

Victoitor.2917

AWE-SOME!!!!!

Raimundo Faztudo (Human Engineer) – Current WvW
Mr Tauser (Char Warrior) – Current PvE
[CATZ] – HoD

Posted by: Dingle.2743

Dingle.2743

are you sure weyandt’s chest has better loot table? O_O

Yes, although currently it’s not particularly significant. The vast majority of drops from it are green or better quality, and the equip drops from Urmaug’s Secret tend towards being blues. Troll’s End I can’t say I run regularly enough to compare to the others (it feels roughly in-between the two), but I can confirm that you’re going to have a better chance at high quality items from Weyandt’s Revenge simply due to having more rolls on the loot table when you complete it.

I used to run Weyandt’s Revenge and Urmaug’s Secret daily, for about a month or so. I’d have been running Troll’s End as well, but camera and collision issues really make it annoying.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

Yep, better to mindlessly farm something. If someone bothered to level up a character to level 80 just to park it at a easy to do JP, let him.

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

Can you make ‘Griffinrook Run’ drop two?

Posted by: Sukor.1236

Sukor.1236

Just wanted to say… I’m so happy about this! JPs are my favorite activity and I’m glad to see they’re actually going to be rewarding.

Although you might want to do something about mesmer portals and people parking alts at the end of JPs if they’re going to have serious rewards. Seems easily solvable to a degree, if a character logs in inside a Jumping Puzzle, have the chest be unopenable until they leave and actually go through the whole thing. Or maybe have every Jumping Puzzle have a key to the end chest placed somewhere in the area, like near the beginning, that would also solve it.

(edited by Sukor.1236)

Posted by: Blanche Neige.7241

Blanche Neige.7241

Do that and you might as well delete completely the mesmer portal skill.

@Colin : as long as you will not fix your rotten camera system in JP, they will never be fun to do.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Do that and you might as well delete completely the mesmer portal skill.

Mesmer portal is a pvp/ wvw movement skill. It doesn’t works that way due to the nature of pve. However, not all skills are meant to be equally good across all formats in the game. It’s much better to have portal not being very useful in one of three parts of the game, than breaking and trivializing every single jp in existence.

If portal being good in pve is so important, just split the portal skill for pve, and add some extra effect to make it useful in combat or something.

That being said, I think portal would still be good for jps with a “flag system”. Portal can be used as a “second opportunity” if you fail a jump, and that wouldn’t change if dungeons were changed to work like that user suggested. It would just prevent portal users from teleporting players right till the end.