What if WP cost scale on Achievement points?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Blue Magnolia.5207

Blue Magnolia.5207

I think that waypoint costs should be based on achievement points instead of level. Right now they increase in cost as you get to a higher level. This means that someone who has 1000 gold and all the legendaries on one character (and thus a ton of achievement points) will pay a couple copper for a new character waypointing. This is in spite of the fact that they would have access to the shared wallet across characters. Conversely a first time level 80 who doesn’t have a ton of resources at their disposal would have to pay much more.

This applies to other gold sinks as well

Thoughts?

Posted by: dpshort.9817

dpshort.9817

Achievement points mean nothing in terms of wealth. I have a few guildies with over 15k ap and they’re still scrounging loose gold for items.

Posted by: JoeYl.4609

JoeYl.4609

Some WvW players karmatraining everyday have ~4/5k achiev’ point and 100/200 gold
It cant work

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Then having high AP would be a bad thing, it’s counter-intuitive :/

Posted by: jokke.6239

jokke.6239

Goldfarmers tends to not have very many achievment points, because they are you know .. farming gold ^^

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Yeah, that doesn’t sound like a good idea. As others have already said, having high AP doesn’t necessarily mean you’re swimming in gold. Also, those with lots of gold sometimes will make a big purchase (precursor or other big ticket item) and suddenly have very, very little gold. It just doesn’t seem like it’d work out very well.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

This is basically another “Casual vs Hardcore” thread, where one is suggesting a way to punish the other because of jealousy.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Wizzey.7845

Wizzey.7845

Then having high AP would be a bad thing, it’s counter-intuitive :/

quote for truth.

Earning achievement points should never be detrimental.

Blue Magnolia.5207

For the people who say that having high AP would be detrimental, isn’t that the same thing with leveling your character?

Posted by: SSGroguey.5841

SSGroguey.5841

That would be horrible, I’m normally sitting at a low amount of money, with a (what I consider high) AP. That’s like a punishment for going out and exploring and getting chieve points.

Here’s the one thing though about AP vs levels though. Levels have a cap, AP is something infinite that you always earn and will always go up.

Posted by: ExTribble.7108

ExTribble.7108

For the people who say that having high AP would be detrimental, isn’t that the same thing with leveling your character?

Not even close. You can farm gold much faster at level 80 than you can at level 1. That’s not even mentioning that going from 1-80 is only detrimental in WP costs up to a certain point. Tacking this onto AP would make it infinitely detrimental, which is beyond absurd.

“Any lump can hack bad guys to death, but it takes skill
and style to turn them into craters and dust.” -Tonn
Number-crunching for ecto salvages – periodically updated

Posted by: Kitarpa.8143

Kitarpa.8143

I don’t see why paying a few silver is this big of a deal, tbh.
Do your daily instances, kill some mobs in Southsun Cove, go kill some people in WvW even. I mean really, it’s not this hard.

Posted by: dkspins.4670

dkspins.4670

what a horrible idea OP! I’ve got AP, but about 20 gold. Outfitting 16 toons is like having a gazillion kids, expensive! A couple of silver isn’t a big deal, but sure as anything I’d park a toon at each event and never leave if it were more. Not a big deal to anyone else, but I’d quit playing. However, I would venture to say Anet might miss the 30$ a month in gems that I spend LOL

7k hr, 13k AP, 16 char, all classes 80 Sadly, 3.5k hr. Ranger

Blue Magnolia.5207

I’m not saying that it would cost a gold for each WP
Just that it would get to the level 80 amount for people who have around 5000 achievement points or something

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

This is why people voted for Kiel. The lure of cheaper WP costs was just too much for a majority of the population to ignore.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Blizt.3086

Blizt.3086

I don’t even see the reason in doing this.

First of all, why are you even comparing a lvl 80 character with low AP, to another low lvl character with high AP?

If you want to be fair, you should compare two lvl 80 characters with low/high AP, and you will see the cost for both would be the same, there’s nothing disadvantageous for you to grief about.

So veteran player with high AP only pays a few copper when they create a new character to play, so what? If you have low AP and created a new character to play, you also only need to pay a few copper, nothing unfair about.

If you think about it, a player with high AP means he plays a lot, why should such player be punished from just playing a lot?

EDIT:
In your example, your way of thinking would be somewhat like this (assuming high AP = rich, even though we know it’s not true):

You’ve just started your career with little saving (a lvl 80 character with low AP), while your neighbor is already a successful businessman (a lvl 80 character with high AP).

One day you (a lvl 80 character) and neighbor’s 10 years old kid (a lvl 5 character) both take a taxi (waypoint) to the same destination, then you told the taxi driver that the kid should pay more than you because his dad is much richer than you, so “it’s not fair” to you even when you both take the same trip…

(edited by Blizt.3086)

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

@OP: Why not just make everybody happy and make WP’s completely free?

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

This is why people voted for Kiel. The lure of cheaper WP costs was just too much for a majority of the population to ignore.

Or, we just voted for the Hero and not the villian. To the OP, no…. there are too many way’s to earn gold that have no AP associated to them. Meanwhile, AP is associated with actually playing the game. Which has inherent gold sinks.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.