What if mobs can feel real pain?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Conaywea.5062

Conaywea.5062

What if anet adds a new update where Every mob and even your toons can feel real pain?

Those Burns , Fears , Dazes , Confusions , Cripples etc..??

Would you still kill Moas,Drakes , Leaf Dogs , Stalkers?

Could be the best patch ever or the worst??

Answer

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

How exactly would they make pixels feel pain? Would it not lead to an ai so advanced that it would be somewhat imorral to use them for our entertainment?
How do we know if they feel pain or not? Maybe they already do?

Maybe you mean that they just add mechanics that make them act like in pain when hit by conditions and all that… in which case it is may be considered emergeing for some, while others might feel it is too much… betya more PETA people complaining that it is possible to kill innocent animals in a game.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Anet would have a ground breaking piece of technology that would make them billions…possibly a trillion.
———————————————————————————————————————————————

Playing along with the thread answer: I wouldn’t play anymore, it would be unethical.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

What if anet adds a new update where Every mob and even your toons can feel real pain?

This would certainly cut down on zerker gear. A portion of the playerbase would spend no time swapping to setups that would draw out the pain and death as long as possible.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Hook an electrical wire to your body which hurts you ever time you do any damage based on how much you did. It’ll bring an extra dimension of playing zerker, making zerker groups truly hardcore.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Hook an electrical wire to your body which hurts you ever time you do any damage based on how much you did. It’ll bring an extra dimension of playing zerker, making zerker groups truly hardcore.

If you have figured how to kill enemies by doing less damage than their health, please let me know.

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

How exactly would they make pixels feel pain? Would it not lead to an ai so advanced that it would be somewhat imorral to use them for our entertainment?
How do we know if they feel pain or not? Maybe they already do?

Maybe you mean that they just add mechanics that make them act like in pain when hit by conditions and all that… in which case it is may be considered emergeing for some, while others might feel it is too much… betya more PETA people complaining that it is possible to kill innocent animals in a game.

What if that is all we are?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJlPr2KHSFo&list=PL8407FAE1DDDA0A31&index=36
O__o

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

This isn’t the Matrix you know, with real characters with real feelings caught in a computer. There is no way for a computer generated set of pixels to feel anything. And it would be the worse update ever to encourage people to enjoy killing things that can actually feel pain.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

The animations show pain. Cripple makes mobs limp, crabs scream when they die, rabbits do an amazing jitter when electrified or topple over and shatter when frozen, grubs convulse and curl up …

To answer your bizarre thought experiment, though, no. I would not cause real pain for my entertainment. I may be willing to smush ants that come in my house, but I don’t enjoy it and I try to make it quick and painless for them.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Well having played a series of games that were originally built as an artificial life simulation I’m fairly confident that no matter how it was done a lot of people would conclude that it’s a very convincing impression of something in pain but they don’t really feel anything. Over 10 years and that debate is still going on Creatures forums.

Personally I already feel a bit guilty whenever I go for Ambient Killer for the daily achievement. I don’t think I’d want to play a combat orientated game where the enemies (and random wildlife) actually feel pain.

Also this would never happen because it would take a huge amount of programming effort and processing power for a relatively minimal result. It can be done (arguably) by modern computers, but it pretty much needs to be a program built to do that and not much else.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

What is pain other then a reaction to an outside stimulus we just label them as pain or pleasure base off of if its bad or good to that object. Mobs feel pain but not in the same way as humans or other living things do its more of a code thing.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

If you run zerker you ease their passing with a quick death.

Ranger | Elementalist

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

If you run zerker you ease their passing with a quick death.

^
The one true Holy Trinity of DPS does not relish in the suffering of others. It delivers swift death to Its foes, lengthening their agony as less as possible.

(edited by FenrirSlakt.3692)

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

MGS4 did try to go that way, it was (as always) game mechanics.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

This would be one sure way to make me quit.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Mobs can feel pain, or at least individual members of the mob can. This is why tear gas is so very effective at dispersing them. I mean if mobs felt no discomfort they would just ignore the gas, and potentially even the fire hoses and bean-bag bullets, and continue on with their illegal assembly. Can’t have that now can we ?

Posted by: Darthaemos.6370

Darthaemos.6370

How Can Pain Be Real If Our Eyes Aren’t Real

Birgitte / Graendhal / Aveandha
Death and Taxes [DnT] | http://www.dtguilds.com/

Posted by: Wasbunny.6531

Wasbunny.6531

I like this.

No pain, no train.

~An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.~

Posted by: Conaywea.5062

Conaywea.5062

Interesting answers guys

Thanks!

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Oh yeah ALL anti-video game activists who already think that video games breed violence would have a field day with this. Its been said some people wouldn’t be able to handle it. I know I wouldn’t. I am SUPER squeemish when it come to that sort of thing. I have a hard time watching AFV sometimes with people racking themselves, and hurting themselves. Call me a weenie or whatever, but thats how I am, and I wouldn’t want to change it for anything.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Axiom.9742

Axiom.9742

Yikes, just thinking about critting Mr Bunny for 500K with a superior rune of fire, then watching him burn, choke, gasp, and fall nearly lifeless as the fur continues to singe down to his bloody skin, paws scraping at the ground trying to drag itself away from the evil player… a rotting corpse left until a scavenger picks it apart. Not a happy thought I suppose unless you’re the scavenger, but okay with rats and chickens, lol.

Honestly I think people would still kill everything. Knowing it’s a virtual environment allows us to act out our aggression, regardless of feelings.

Seriously, some of the mob AI could use some tweaking. Not too many single moa’s if we still had them in real-life would continue attacking after being bashed with a sword, rather it would cower, become submissive, or try to flee… unless it’s a pack of them. Asurans would get a lot more mobs attacking them due to their size, and Norns a lot less.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

How do you know they don’t feel pain???

The Burninator

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

How do you know they don’t feel pain???

I asked. As they lay there burning and bleeding, they said no.

I was holding a gun to their head at the time, but I’m sure they wouldn’t lie to me.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Naranek.3467

Naranek.3467

What, you mean like Sword Art Online, where a deranged computer programmer with a god complex killed thousands of people? I have a hard enough time as it is, some of the death screams are nightmare fuel already.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

My elementalist, when attuned fire, perceives mobs screaming and trying futilely to put out the fires as they die. Their tears, while sweet, do nothing to put out the flames.

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

Make them scream while dying.

Posted by: jweez.7214

jweez.7214

My elementalist, when attuned fire, perceives mobs screaming and trying futilely to put out the fires as they die. Their tears, while sweet, do nothing to put out the flames.

Lmao!