What if the dots from cond could crit?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Q:

So earlier today I was helping a new player to GW2 that was asking some questions about cond builds and gear, when he asked…

“Do conditions crit?”

Been so long since that has come across my mind, many years since I ran around on my Warlock, I’am sure many of you know what game comes across your mind.

Why dont cond crit in this game? Some professions condition trait trees are shared with precision tree?

Could this improve by some how adjusting current condition setup, and possibly helping condition cap problems in groups or large zerg play?

Would you like this thought washed around by Anet devs?

For those unfamiliar, your DOTs from conditions would have a chances to crit in its duration.

JQ Druid

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Conditions are already limited to 25 per mob because tracking them racks up too much server resources. If they could crit, that would be yet another thing for the server to track.

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

Conditions don’t crit and the stat combination inside most Condition Damage, precision trees, are normally for on crit effects, like having 33% chance to inflict a stack of bleeds on crit.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

Wetpaw.3487

Conditions are already limited to 25 per mob because tracking them racks up too much server resources. If they could crit, that would be yet another thing for the server to track.

In the current state of conditions in the game I don’t believe this would be viable, maybe even op. Conditions as a whole would have to be reworked similar to when this was introduced back in the day.

Maybe even no more 25per mob, a rework in a way to alleviate server resources while retaining potency and reduce such a long dmg build up for cond builds?

JQ Druid

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Yes, conditions don’t crit. However, condi classes and builds typically have on crit traits, so crit chance becomes significant.

Wetpaw.3487

Conditions don’t crit and the stat combination inside most Condition Damage, precision trees, are normally for on crit effects, like having 33% chance to inflict a stack of bleeds on crit.

With out sarcasm appreciate the heads up, but not at all what I’am asking, I understand current setup conditions induced from crits.

JQ Druid

Posted by: Arkham Creed.7358

Arkham Creed.7358

Wait what? I thought conditions DID crit. I distinctly remember my bleeds critting on my thief back in beta. Did they nerf that or something?

Actually that would explain a few things….

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

In the current state of conditions in the game I don’t believe this would be viable, maybe even op. Conditions as a whole would have to be reworked similar to when this was introduced back in the day.

Maybe even no more 25per mob, a rework in a way to alleviate server resources while retaining potency and reduce such a long dmg build up for cond builds?

Well, properly speaking condition builds are broken in the game. And they will be broken until ‘condition’ damage is managed by player as it is in every game except GW2.

Wetpaw.3487

What comes to mind w/o any knowledge as a dev or tech side of MMO, less stacks allowed or needed, more upfront dmg due to DOT crits, less prolonged focus fire to build up dmg, lil more flexibility in cond builds, and duration changes?

I’am trying to look toward the perks if this could be implemented.

JQ Druid

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

It’s not really a matter of power, it’s a matter of server resources.

For each condition the server checks each second what the owner of that conditions current condition damage is and how much time the stack has, and updates the damage on the next damage tick or eliminates the stack if the time is run out. This alone takes up a ton of server resources as is. If each condition tick could also crit, the sever would need to check and roll crit, then then check and apply critical damage (or critical time, as you have suggested), all within the same amount of time. The amount of resources this would take makes it impossible. Even if you replaced one with the other it would still most likely take up just as much server resources.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Wetpaw.3487

So basically what your saying is when it comes to conditions this 1 year old game can’t keep up w/a game that introduced this half a decade ago give or take with tech pre 2004?

Once again I’am NOT discussing adding this to the current way conditions work or stack. Currently (even well described as you did @Conncept) as conditions are layed out in GW2 sounds over the top pain for players, devs, server, etc..

JQ Druid

Posted by: Sandra Martino.3870

Sandra Martino.3870

So basically what your saying is when it comes to conditions this 1 year old game can’t keep up w/a game that introduced this half a decade ago give or take with tech pre 2004?

You have a point here. There is absolutely no reason to not improve hardware so it can manage things like this.

Is it really all about the money?? Even with servers that could not cause skillag in 100v100v100 battles in wvw they`d still make a fortune…

Still Feeling Lucky [PunK] – Gunnars Hold
Recruiting necros & guardians. Whisper ingame.