What if the next Elite Specialization

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MrPinks.2015

MrPinks.2015

What if the next Elite Specialization could use different type of armor
instead of a new weapon?

For example : One light armor class can wear medium armor – while the other light armor class can wear Heavy armor

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

What would such a mechanic add to the game/playstyles?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I think it would actually subtract, because you can only equip/use the specialization-specific gear while in that elite. So swapping out your traits would mean what, stripping off six pieces of armor? You can’t swap just a few in a set, either, since the internal rigging of the three weights conflict with each other.

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

This is only slightly on topic, but I, personally, would like to see some old armors come back, like ht Necromancer’s Scar armor and the Monk’s Tattoo armor.

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

What’s the point of such a change? With the current system, only an upgrade to a heavier armor class would be beneficial, making it utterly pointless for the current heavy classes.

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

What’s the point of such a change? With the current system, only an upgrade to a heavier armor class would be beneficial, making it utterly pointless for the current heavy classes.

Look/Feel is important to quite a number of players. For example, there are people who want to play a character with light/holy magic but without heavy armor (i.e. a priest-type class). Conversely, there are people who want to play a character with dark/death magic but with heavy armor (i.e. a dark knight / death knight-type class).

Personally, I like the idea in theory but I don’t think it could ever work in practice. Like CptAurellian said, it would be a reduction in defense for elite specs that go from heavy to medium or light and from medium to light. That could be compensated with stats of course but still. The concerns raised by Donari are a lot more difficult to deal with. The weapon types granted by elite specs already have a similar problem, but then it’s just one weapon, not your entire armor.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Look/Feel is important to quite a number of players. For example, there are people who want to play a character with light/holy magic but without heavy armor (i.e. a priest-type class). Conversely, there are people who want to play a character with dark/death magic but with heavy armor (i.e. a dark knight / death knight-type class).

In this case, grade of armor should simply be abolished and anyone should be able to wear whatever gear represents their character best. This is already nearly the case but there is still remnants of the “armor weight” system that divides the professions mechanically. That’s the whole “armor” stat which, frankly, is pointless. There is also the necessity to create skins for each armor weight which is why it takes so long to make armor skins in the 1st place.

All in all, the armor weight system was a cool concept early in the game’s life but as GW2 ages, it shows more and more of its flaws and the positives of the system grow more minuscule when you consider those flaws.