What if there was no trade?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: bigtime.7410

bigtime.7410

What would happen if they made it so no one can trade anything? So that everything you got was obtained by working through the game.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Pretty much what most of GW1 was like. Wasn’t so great tbh…..

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Ferum Flamebender.5910

Ferum Flamebender.5910

I found guild wars 1 system great XD. It made you feel like a marketing vendor instead of clickedy clack setting in on TP and receiving your money.

Aetra Ironbender, Rated E for Engineer- [WoT] Warlocks of Tyria- Far Shiverpeaks

Posted by: HannaDeFreitas.4236

HannaDeFreitas.4236

Trading is very important and fundamental imo.
I also think most of us agree that lack of P2P trading is a big detractor to the game but it seems to be set in stone for some reasons.
If the TP was removed on top of no p2p trading it would be a pretty stagnant situation.

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

Why would you want to take trading away? It’s a very good system that help contribute in the economy of Guild Wars 2 and in keeping the immersiveness in check

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…

Paulytnz.7619

I found guild wars 1 system great XD. It made you feel like a marketing vendor instead of clickedy clack setting in on TP and receiving your money.

It had it’s pros and cons. 1 being you couldn’t buy shinies off other players and by that I mean weapons/armours. That was due to the fact there was no real craft system of course…..but yeah that’s my answer. Also I highly doubt you would want to trade how we did in GW1 with all the spam messages. Thankfully we left that and the “you have been playing for 1 hour please take a break” spam back 250 years ago where it belongs lol.

Paulytnz.7619

Trading is very important and fundamental imo.
I also think most of us agree that lack of P2P trading is a big detractor to the game but it seems to be set in stone for some reasons.
If the TP was removed on top of no p2p trading it would be a pretty stagnant situation.

I think the trade to trade system is looked down upon by Anet mostly because of all the spam it generates – “selling 3 jute cloth!” No ty I don’t want to see that it was bad enough seeing all that the first month of this game due to the tp being dead.

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

The P2P TP is fine and works well, however, it’s the gem store that’s a disaster. Allowing players to convert real money in to gold injects unlimited gold in to the economy causing terrible runaway inflation, especially on high-end items. There is a reason countries don’t simply print more money to resolve debt. The more you print, the less it’s worth.

What I would like to see is them disconnect the gem store from the TP by removing the ability to convert gems to gold. They could keep the gem store alive and well by offering more useful items and better skins to stimulate sales.

(edited by Leamas.5803)

Posted by: HannaDeFreitas.4236

HannaDeFreitas.4236

I think the trade to trade system is looked down upon by Anet mostly because of all the spam it generates – “selling 3 jute cloth!” No ty I don’t want to see that it was bad enough seeing all that the first month of this game due to the tp being dead.

I don’t think that’s the reason, because people would use the trade chat which can be ignored etc.
I think Anet just wants full control on the market.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

The P2P TP is fine and works well, however, it’s the gem store that’s a disaster. Allowing players to convert real money in to gold injects unlimited gold in to the economy causing terrible runaway inflation, especially on high-end items. There is a reason countries don’t simply print more money to resolve debt. The more you print, the less it’s worth.

What I would like to see is them disconnect the gem store from the TP by removing the ability to convert gems to gold. They could keep the gem store alive and well by offering more useful items and better skins to stimulate sales.

When people sell gems to get gold, the game isn’t manufacturing gold for them at that point. They are selling the gems to other players who are buying gems with ingame gold. Therefore, any inflation in this game is not caused by people selling gems for gold, it’s only transferring gold from one player to another.

Posted by: Ooshi.8607

Ooshi.8607

I don’t think that’s the reason, because people would use the trade chat which can be ignored etc.
I think Anet just wants full control on the market.

Didn’t work, because a large portion of people ignored trade chat some clever blokes started advertising their wares in general chat, soon everyone and their dog was advertising their wares on general chat, forcing us to ignore general chat, and un-ignore trade chat…
Black Lion Trading Post is the best thing they done in GW2.

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

You also can’t ignore players who convert gold into gems.

Since the Gem/Gold exchange rate is tied to the rate at which players convert Gold/Gems, Gems/Gold. The ratio increases when players convert Gold → Gems, and decreases when they convert Gems → Gold. Seeing as there’s a pretty steady upward trend since launch, I’d be confident in saying that probably more gold has been converted to gems than vice versa.

Posted by: BetaWar.7903

BetaWar.7903

The GW1 system was nice to have because I could get most things I wanted without having to work forever. The addition of a trading post does remove a lot of the chat spam, which is nice. However it does get annoying that everything remotely worth getting costs so much.

At the moment I basically only use the TP for selling my rares/ exotics. Attempting to eventually save enough for Vision of the Mists…. Only need to 10x my money…

Personally, I normally attempt to find my items from drops…