My thoughts about GW2

My thoughts about GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: BIG bad Bull.5690

BIG bad Bull.5690

[disclaimer]What I’ve written below is what I, I feel.
The feelings I have about GW2 as a pure PvE player who find no joy at all in anything PvPish (even though i’m almost maxed in costume brawl, which is no fun but way to easy to accomplish as a witch ) [/disclaimer]

I’ve been a GW player since the very start. And I’ve come to wonder what is wrong with GW2?
I’ve just been reading the “very disappointing” topic, what is almost the same, but focused on farmin. My “troubles” are a bit versatile. I too feel very disappointing in GW2 And desperately searching for a good reason to continue playing GW2 and maintaining my Guild. And that saddens me.

like in GW1 skills get nerved manly for PvP reasons. Well the main reason is.
But what else is wrong ?

• GW2 would dynamically scale to the number of people, but it is not so for the low numbers and not for the high. Specially caves or narrow area’s don’t, due to the way-to -high respawn cycle for the low numbers and for the high numbers, it is way to easy even if it takes a long time in the case of world bosses there is hardly a challenge.
    We complained about it in the beta but Anet won’t listen. Why is a complete riddle to me. If it was because of when a second player would come along, (s)he would nit have any enemies? Well is (s)he arrives, spawn a couple extra. But give me the possibility to kill a Champion without the constant extra spanw, even if it takes me an hour to do so. Make it more lifelike like you intended with the dynamic events. If I cleared a path, I’ve cleared it, don’t respawn 10m behind me.
  • I felt more rewarding in GW even as Anet hated me back the in rewarding my efford.
    guildies gave me greens because after 20 runs i still had not got even 1. But even then I got the feeling i did something. Even though GW1 gave me more joy i since the GW2-Beta’s i could no longer play it.
  • GW1 was a very story driven game, this is all gone due to the open world and personal story is 3rd rank by now.
    As a Pure PvE player I feel totally unwelcome. All periodically rewards have PvP tasks in it, thank goddess no longer are they required to get you monthly done, but still there. But each day at least 2 WvW task are in it, and in such I feel unable to complete all PvE daily tasks. And NO WvW is in no means to be considered PvE it’s merely PvP with a little PvE topping that is bad for your teeth.
    - Or some brawl or toss s
    * for the same matter.
    If you Anet want that in the reward system plz move them where they belong in the daily/monthly PvP. Don’t come whining about we want you to mix, i don’t see do 2 events, kill 1 Champion in the PvP part.
  • like in the “very disappointing” topic Anet forces us to farm and grind, but stating that GW2 is not, and nerving most farms.
  • You not only have to farm , but you have to farm all styles if you want to collect everything. As pure PvE player i have no access to – Legendary or to ALL armor sets
  • I’m beginning to feel like a cash cow with the TP and upgrades you desperately need. Like storage and character-slots to store some more. Don’t get me wrong in GW1 I also bought 20 extra characters, just to have some room. I’ve bought all costumes, but now it is too frequent and way to much.
  • with all of the burdens of dailies, weekly and monthlies it is a complete burden.
    Each Night i come in and no longer play what I want to, but do stuff to accomplish the daily. I know I don’t have to , but is is the only way to get some rewarding stuff

In GW 1 i too had some stuff that I knew from the start it would take me year to acquire due to my playing style like (FoW) All armor sets or tormented weps, but i also knew i would be able to get them one day, and i did.
in GW2 i know that I never will be able to get my very own legendary, as Anet has decided that I must waste hours in PvP to get the required stuff, an armor set only to get in Pvp but every armor can be obtained in PvP.

I know that there will be responses by PvP players who will complain that they als need to do PvE if they want to do everything.
But in GW2 you never can do everything or you are skipping college/go to work/have a family.
But the fact is that we (PvE and PvP) should be treated equally, those who like both can have the double fun (and chores)

• and I’ve saved the best for last, nerving my favorite class. The one Anet barely dared to announce, as they knew they only kept the name and destroyed all what was fun about it.

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

Every update has had a significant amount of new PvE content. As a PvP player primarily I feel a little ripped off (No duels, arenas, or different types of SPvP). As a PvE player you guys really have nothing to complain about though, everything is great besides the lack of raids.

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: stayBlind.7849

stayBlind.7849

My main gripe with GW2 is the fact that everything you do is for gear.

What kept me playing GW1 for so long was the fact that everything you did was for skills.

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

What kept me playing GW1 for so long was the fact that everything you did was for skills.

And all the really cool items were a fun grind to get…instead of sold for real money on a BS gem store….

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Your typing is really hard to understand.
I do agree that WvW should be separated from the PVE dailies, however I must point out that you only have to do 5 dailies and today I still found 5 that didn’t include me doing crab toss or WvW.
Legendary was supposed to be a skin for a person that enjoys all areas of the game. It’s not something that everyone was supposed to get. However if you really want one as a PVE only player and you really don’t want to do all that stuff to build one amass money and buy one off TP.
Character and bank slot upgrades are not necessary, plus, unlike in GW1, you can actually trade in-game gold for it.
WvW has only one set that you can get for badges and it doesn’t look nearly cool enough to even boast about having it. Most armor sets are strictly PVE.

And all the really cool items were a fun grind to get…instead of sold for real money on a BS gem store….

There’s maybe around 3 armor skins on the gem store, so what exactly are you talking about?

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: Ahmrill.7512

Ahmrill.7512

Worse grouping and UI system I’ve used in the last 6 years of playing MMO’s. No options or flexibility in WvW,

Ahmrill
Proud member of [NORD] Nordvegr Guild
Jade Quarry

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: yakuza snowdragon.4639

yakuza snowdragon.4639

People play the games they choose, yes we all want things our own personal way as is our nature and to have something you 100% love is to have made it yourself. I don’t like some things about gw2 but I’m also a long term gw fan and its 95% perfect imo. Anet from what I have seen since launch have changed/fixed/optimized etc so much aspects of the game its amazing. Forums don’t change the game into what you personally want or influence things to suit the minority enough to matter so with that said its kind of a like it or not? I love it ….

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Every update has had a significant amount of new PvE content. As a PvP player primarily I feel a little ripped off (No duels, arenas, or different types of SPvP). As a PvE player you guys really have nothing to complain about though, everything is great besides the lack of raids.

New PvE content to an extent. I feel like, when I get the best armor I can possibly get along with amulets and a weapon, I am done with PvE for good. I honestly see no point whatsoever in continuing to run dungeons, do events, or participate in any party runs because I have everything I need. It’s at these times that I start to feel that inevitable pull towards PvP…. and I have to reprimand myself because I hate Guild Wars 2 PvP with a passion. Maybe I’m the only one that feels this way, but I feel like all I’m doing is running dungeons and doing events constantly. Every once in awhile, Anet implements the temporary events that give me joy for, oh, about 10 minutes. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I actually miss the never-ending gear search that WoW brought to mmo’s. It gave me something to look forward to, while at the same time, getting me a decent amount of money, armor, and a constant improvement to my characters. That’s where Guild Wars 2 lacks in PvE. I can’t consistently improve my characters without being nerfed or with the downside being that the build I created sucked beyond belief. PvE may get some updates, but it’s still nowhere up to par with where the PvP is.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

I dont know op, sounds like you are the one just limiting yourself from enjoying the game. You want a legendary? Then go for it, Its not going to kill your pve gaming if you spend a week just following a zerg getting those badges. Mapping is a little harder but still doable, its not impossible.

And for the dailies feeling as if they are a burden, take a week off in doing them. No game is fun if it feels like a chore, hopefully by the time the week is up you can feel as if you can live without them. Because you can.

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: Ratty.5176

Ratty.5176

You moan about WvW items in your PvE daily. But when it comes down to it as someone that does PvE mainly, every day I have a choice of 7-8 dailies that don’t involve going into WvW….

However I’m heavily opposed to removing the WvW extras from the daily, they support people that do both WvW and PvE. I think it would be pretty mean to people that do both to say “You only have an hour or two to play today. NOW choose whether you only do PvE or WvW tonight to get your laurel.” As it stands you can mix the two quite happily and get your daily done, however you want.

Also on the topic of Legendaries. Oh woe to the PvE player that has to pop into tkitten JP for the chest or follow the zerg for a bit. Compare this to the WvW player that has to do every single map for world completion complete with hearts. It’s currently much harder for a WvW player to get a Legendary than it ever will be for a PvE player (not least because they make far less money).

(edited by Ratty.5176)

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: Genophix.3098

Genophix.3098

They have always said they wanted to have a game where the journey was the endgame. For all the time I have spent playing WoW the dungeon hamster wheel Blizzard have brainwashed many players has to stop. Players running through the same dungeon 30 times a day for a single piece of gear is just desperately sad.

If you go back and tot up all the updates, content, themed events etc we have had such an amazing ride and this is just the beginning. I know now that this game just isn’t for all MMO players.

I play for the sheer joy of playing. Running around looking for new things I’ve never seen before, this game world is just crammed with hidden gems, I like the fact that many players never see them so the few who have explored feel like they are the few. A jumping puzzle here, a few hours of WvsW there, a bit of time crafting a new armour set on my alt… I just love this game and will be here for a long time to come.

ArenaNet have also said they are aiming to get new content out every two weeks! That’s just insane. We also now know they are working on an expansion, cannot wait

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

They have always said they wanted to have a game where the journey was the endgame. For all the time I have spent playing WoW the dungeon hamster wheel Blizzard have brainwashed many players has to stop. Players running through the same dungeon 30 times a day for a single piece of gear is just desperately sad.

In this game people are still doing that. What about fractals? And dungeons and their dungeon tokens? The only real difference is that here you mostly do it for the dungeon skin and in other games you do it usually for the stats (though fractals are so popular because they give stats).

Gw2 really is not so much different than all the other games, some mechanisms are superior others are inferior. The story? The Gw1 story was much more extensive from the beginning. This story is easy and really quiet boring once trahearne gets into the picture. Its like they had this great story idea and how to make it personal and then they had to finish it and they quickly thought up the trahearne end.

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Content is OPEN PvE
Balance is PvP only (that broke pve long ago and now is getting really ridiculous)
WWW is a mess as always.

Many pve players play dungeons and fractals that only see nerfs in drop and annoying changes….

That is the problem of the game.
They should start to review PvE balance and the Defiant mechanic….when you see 27 stacks of defiant you see they really didn t look that much in balancing.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: Genophix.3098

Genophix.3098

In this game people are still doing that. What about fractals? And dungeons and their dungeon tokens? The only real difference is that here you mostly do it for the dungeon skin and in other games you do it usually for the stats (though fractals are so popular because they give stats).

Gw2 really is not so much different than all the other games, some mechanisms are superior others are inferior. The story? The Gw1 story was much more extensive from the beginning. This story is easy and really quiet boring once trahearne gets into the picture. Its like they had this great story idea and how to make it personal and then they had to finish it and they quickly thought up the trahearne end.

I don’t agree entirely but I take your point, but I suspect any MMO that had dungeons with no reward at all other than the experience wouldn’t last long. On the back of what your saying I do wish AN would make boss fight a) harder and b) a bit more off the wall.

To be fair to them we are starting to see very interesting bosses, the end fight in Flame and Frost was great.

Like you say, people are still farming for rewards and even when them rewards are far less than the epics drops in WoW. Maybe AN should just drop the carrot into the game? I know I know I’ll get burned alive for even suggesting it but that was most players want.

Why not have the journey AND the nice juicy carrot at the end?

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Can’t +1 this enough.

Really, strictly-PvE people complaining of feeling unwelcomed really baffle me. The legendary, the most wanted luxury item in the game already consists of 99% PvE-farming and 1% WvW badges/map completion that can be gotten doing little to no PvP at all.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

What about fractals?

Fractals was put in the game specifically because people at the time were whining they wanted a dungeon grind experience and they put the ascended things in there so the dungeon grindy people would feel special. This is one of those times when half the audience got what it asked for and the other half hated it.

I don’t think they ever expected people to grind dungeon tokens the way they do – just like they didn’t expect people ta grind out legendaries in a month – it’s just one of those things players brought with them from other MMOs.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

I’m calling shenanigans on that; grinds aren’t fun and they weren’t fun in GW1 either. They were probably less fun in GW1 because everything was instanced so you didn’t even have other people to pop in out of nowhere to liven things up.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: Antares.2586

Antares.2586

That. I realize you had to collect & learn Skills, in GW1.

Getting an Elite was fun.

Could be a good thing to see this in GW2 as well.

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

• I felt more rewarding in GW even as Anet hated me back the in rewarding my efford.
    guildies gave me greens because after 20 runs i still had not got even 1. But even then I got the feeling i did something. Even though GW1 gave me more joy i since the GW2-Beta’s i could no longer play it.
  • GW1 was a very story driven game, this is all gone due to the open world and personal story is 3rd rank by now.

This is not GW1. It was never intended to be. Why do you insist it must be the same experience?

*As a Pure PvE player I feel totally unwelcome. All periodically rewards have PvP tasks in it, thank goddess no longer are they required to get you monthly done, but still there. But each day at least 2 WvW task are in it, and in such I feel unable to complete all PvE daily tasks. And NO WvW is in no means to be considered PvE it’s merely PvP with a little PvE topping that is bad for your teeth.

Your daily has ALOT of choices. Why are you doing the 2 WvW dailys anyway? Do the other ones, leave these and move on.

• As pure PvE player i have no access to – Legendary or to ALL armor sets

This is hilarious, honestly. I’m a 90% PvE player myself and can see how much better access to everything we have VS PvP/WvW players. The majority of gear and legendary is PvE.

• I’m beginning to feel like a cash cow with the TP and upgrades you desperately need. Like storage and character-slots to store some more. Don’t get me wrong in GW1 I also bought 20 extra characters, just to have some room. I’ve bought all costumes, but now it is too frequent and way to much.

This is mostly in your head. Why are you storing so much stuff? I have multiple lvl80’s and havent needed to expand my bank at all. In fact, there hasn’t been a single thing that’s ‘desperately’ needed to play from the TP.

• with all of the burdens of dailies, weekly and monthlies it is a complete burden.
    Each Night i come in and no longer play what I want to, but do stuff to accomplish the daily. I know I don’t have to , but is is the only way to get some rewarding stuff

This is entirely you. Noone is forcing you to do this. This is a compulsion you have.
Either do the bare minimum to get the reward and forget the rest (which btw, how does that not mostly happen just from playing? I run a dungeon or do a few world boss events and it usually gets done without even trying) or just don’t do them at all. Run fractals for the gears or get in a guild from the rings and stuff. If you are not playing what YOU want to do…thats YOUR fault. Not Anet nor any player is making you do all the dailys or the WvW ones. It is a game, not a job. Noone cares if you skip the dailies for a week and do whatever else you want to do. You’re not going to fall behind. You’re not going to lose out on anything. At absolute worst, you can get something from a laurel vendor a week later.

In GW 1 i too had some stuff that I knew from the start it would take me year to acquire due to my playing style like (FoW) All armor sets or tormented weps, but i also knew i would be able to get them one day, and i did.

Again…this game is not GW1.

(edited by MrRuin.9740)

My thoughts about GW2

beren.6048

This is not GW1. It was never intended to be. Why do you insist it must be the same experience?

GW2 plays in the same world / lore and they did claim you would have everything you liked from GW1.

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Not really not only did their LS content is not only not very big it’s also doing the exact opposite of what they claimed making it would do, bring people to the open world.

Their PVE content has been stripped from all rewards. Pretty much makes it useless when all you get is xp after you’ve already reached max level because no loot is dropping that’s for sure. They’re reward system could use alot of work. They need to bring rewards back to the chests that take work to get to, or that are guarded by champions in the world. They need to improve the rewards for map completion and for events where minibosses are involved especially in the mid level zones where the crickets live (because no one ever sees a player in these places) and they need to revamp the way they are doing LS so that the rewards are well worth the time. 1 cosmetic backpiece hardly makes up for the constant removal of loot like we’ve seen most recently in Orr events.

There’s also a massive imbalance problem in PVE that isn’t coming anywhere close to being solved with their current testing system. Bugs that have been in there since before launch on some classes haven’t even been touched and many aspects of pve gameplay keep being broken for whatever reason by the people handling the changes to these skills. (kit refinement on engineers for example)

Add to that the frustration of not being able to complete the world exploration because like Aion this game forces PVE players to go into a PVP zone for a typically PVE achievement and you’ve got a formula for a foul tasting elixir.

PVP has had multiple updates and new maps throughout it’s time as well as the new addition to the new traps that have changed the way stealth works now in the WvW areas and constant balance even on the weakest classes. There’s absolutely nothing that PVPers have to complain about because every patch has been focusing on PVP since launch, they even nerfed condition damage overall as well as broken many a skill in PVE due to the balance focus they’ve had since launch for the PVP gamers making PVE pay for the balance by not effectively separating the behaviors of the skills for PVE PVP WVW since launch like we’ve all expected. Further the problems that they spent 9 months making for PVE players have yet to be fixed. No true unholy trinity, etc etc.

As far as the GW1 argument, even other more honest reviewers wonder why they haven’t put into this game what they had in GW1 because those items worked before and kept the hardcore activities completely separate from the casuals from what I’m told.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

perfectly agree…
And PvPers despite being few have even the courage to complain….

In the meantime GW 2 is guardian and warriors 2 for PvE.

“Uneffective” profession like elementalists (by dev) eats huge nerfs while OP classes like warriors get buffed every patch.

But hey we have to fight mindless AI so how can it be hard?

The saddest excuse of many pvp elitist that never played PvE and clearly don t understand mechanics of this game so well as they think……

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

GW2 plays in the same world / lore and they did claim you would have everything you liked from GW1.

Anyone who seriously analyzes that statement HAS to know that it’s nothing more than marketing and the kind of thing every company says. Let’s be logical for a moment.

Everything YOU love about Guild Wars 1. Does Anet know you? Have they polled you? How about if you love something from Guild Wars 1 that I hate, or I hate something from Guild Wars 1 that you loved? What if I really really loved a specific bug in the game? Should that bug be in this game too? What if I really loved Prince Rurik? Should he make a return?

I really really really hated Spamadan…standing around and selling my stuff. Some people loved it. Should Guild Wars 2 not have a marketplace then?

People need to have some common sense when viewing marketing from ANY company.

My thoughts about GW2

beren.6048

Anyone who seriously analyzes that statement HAS to know that it’s nothing more than marketing and the kind of thing every company says. Let’s be logical for a moment.

Everything YOU love about Guild Wars 1. Does Anet know you? Have they polled you? How about if you love something from Guild Wars 1 that I hate, or I hate something from Guild Wars 1 that you loved? What if I really really loved a specific bug in the game? Should that bug be in this game too? What if I really loved Prince Rurik? Should he make a return?

I really really really hated Spamadan…standing around and selling my stuff. Some people loved it. Should Guild Wars 2 not have a marketplace then?

With this statement they give their intent, their intent was to make a game that has features from GW1. Except for the lore, it really is a different game, none of the GW1 features are there. So yes, it is a completely different game. But you can’t claim they didnt suggest that the game will have GW1 features, they even call it the same. Jaws 2 is still about a shark and not about a crocodile.

My thoughts about GW2

Vayne.8563

With this statement they give their intent, their intent was to make a game that has features from GW1. Except for the lore, it really is a different game, none of the GW1 features are there. So yes, it is a completely different game. But you can’t claim they didnt suggest that the game will have GW1 features, they even call it the same. Jaws 2 is still about a shark and not about a crocodile.

There are plenty of things from this game that came from Guild Wars 1. The mesmer still has the same obnoxious feel. The play style, to me, feels very similar. The fact that in Guild Wars 1 protection was stronger than healing and neither game requires a tank. The fact that in both Guild Wars 1 and Guild Wars 2, you have equally obnoxious NPCs who let you do the work and then end up the main heroes of the story (bet you didn’t miss that).

The whole feel of the game, and the way I play the game is actually the same. Even the loot tables are similar to the way they were set up in Guild Wars 1, though people don’t want to believe it. DR existed in both games.

What’s missing first and foremost is the skill system including dual professions, all of which we knew wouldn’t be in the game at launch long before the game started selling.

Edit: Even story mode and explorable mode dungeons were in Guild Wars 1, if you look at Oola’s Lab and the Bloodstone Caves.

(edited by Vayne.8563)

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: Ratty.5176

Ratty.5176

Add to that the frustration of not being able to complete the world exploration because like Aion this game forces PVE players to go into a PVP zone for a typically PVE achievement and you’ve got a formula for a foul tasting elixir.

SO, you wanted world completion in Aion to be the starter zone? because that was about the only area other than the main city that wasn’t a PvP zone. Enemy could Rift into almost any zone in the game.

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Well said OP, all we can do is keep telling them how we feel and hold on to see if they do anything the next few months to fix the beast.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

Vayne

Very good point, but I think there’s some middle ground that was expected here. It is a giant sales pitch, but good sales pitch’s are laced with truth if they want to seem believable. And ANet historically enjoyed a relatively healthy relationship with the player base. There was a certain amount of trust there. Not like friendship trust by any means, but it was there in some form.

For one thing, they probably meant “you all” and not one person in particular. But more importantly, what did they mean by saying “everything you liked”? Were there things in GW1 that a majority of players could agree were good things, or even great things? Were there things that most players thought were unacceptable? Or maybe this is all about developer preference and it’s what they thought were good things or what we liked.

Surely there is a general consensus about some broad qualities of Guild Wars 1 that can be seen as things that “people liked.”

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

(edited by Obsidian.1328)

My thoughts about GW2

Vayne.8563

Vayne

Very good point, but I think there’s some middle ground that was expected here. It is a giant sales pitch, but good sales pitch’s are laced with truth if they want to seem believable. And ANet historically enjoyed a relatively healthy relationship with the player base. There was a certain amount of trust there. Not like friendship trust by any means, but it was there in some form.

For one thing, they probably meant “you all” and not one person in particular. But more importantly, what did they mean by saying “everything you liked”? Were there things in GW1 that a majority of players could agree were good things, or even great things? Were there things that most players thought were unacceptable? Or maybe this is all about developer preference and it’s what they thought were good things or what we liked.

Surely there is a general consensus about some broad qualities of Guild Wars 1 that can be seen as things that “people liked.”

Let me put it another way. The manifesto video was many paragraphs long. The line everyone seems to quote (one of the two lines anyway), is a small part of something much larger.

We knew most of the differences before the game launched. What a dynamic event was and wasn’t was explained in great detail. The way weapons worked was explained in great detail. I don’t think too many people who followed the game didn’t know about skills being bound to the weapon.

Anet did a pretty good job of telling people pretty much what would be in the game. There were exceptions. Some things changed, but the bulk of what Anet said is still there in this game.

And people seem not to realize this.

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: chronus.1326

chronus.1326

The biggest problem that tells the most about this game’s future is not the actual content, but the lag at which ArenaNet realizes and deals with missing basic components, and inherently wrong systems.

They have completely screwed up priorities.

It takes them months to implement almost mindbogglingly basic things like the titles displaying under the names. Things that should have been there since conception. Mistakes that only amateurs make.

These are ameteurish mistakes.

It’s like as if the team’s collective creativity and intelligence suffered some kind of a stroke and was reduced to the thinking capacity of a banana. Who knows why? Maybe some people who were crucial in the creaion of the original game already left? I do no know, I do not follow dev drama.

But very fact that a lot of basic things are still missing from the game and we, again, have to resort to 3rd party sites like gwlfg.com instead of having such things incorporated into the game… the very fact that for the developers it was not trivial that these things should be implemented is what speaks volumes of the game’s future.

It’s like only the creative department is still intact, because seemingly everyone else is doing a helluva poor job.

But popping out world events is not gonna save the game. You have to make big changes, or you can kiss the game goodbye. And you have to tell people about the upcoming changes, because with saying that you do not plan to make expansions, you just destroyed a humongous ammount of enthusiasm.

In case you did not know, that was what was keeping people here.
That maybe you will fix all this **** in a huge update in the form of an expansion.

And you killed that hope.
Nobody is buying the “this game will become GW2.5 and GW3”.
People are thinking that you were deprived of fiancial support and you simply have no money to make an expansion.

People know exactly how this industry works.

(edited by chronus.1326)

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

Vayne

Let me put it another way. The manifesto video was many paragraphs long. The line everyone seems to quote (one of the two lines anyway), is a small part of something much larger.

We knew most of the differences before the game launched. What a dynamic event was and wasn’t was explained in great detail. The way weapons worked was explained in great detail. I don’t think too many people who followed the game didn’t know about skills being bound to the weapon.

Anet did a pretty good job of telling people pretty much what would be in the game. There were exceptions. Some things changed, but the bulk of what Anet said is still there in this game.

Hmm, good point but I still think there were things not expected.

For instance, I never knew Ranger pets would be permanent…not after the beta’s nor after leveling to Orr lol. It just never occurred to me and I never stowed the pet because it was novel and new and I wanted to try it out. There’s no info for this stuff unless you look it up online or buy the manual, which takes time away from the game or money away from your wallet.
by the way, since when do manuals not come freely with games??

I knew about the skills being binded to weaps, and I wasn’t very happy about it. But I was willing to give it a shot because I trusted ANet to do it well. I would say they did an average job of it.

Did you know that attribute points were originally adjustable? Right up to before the first beta you could manually adjust those to a certain degree but they nixed it in an effort to keep any trinity-esque builds out of the game.

And the story, goodness the story!, I think we all thought this would be a strong point with ANet. It didn’t exactly turn out that way at all though.

I will say there were not many big things unexpected…but rather a ton of little things here and there and everywhere that individually don’t seem like much, but taken as a whole it’s different. It’s hard to define really, and I’m doing a lousy job of it, but there’s something that’s just really off about what I thought this game would be like. :/

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

The biggest problem that tells the most about this game’s future is not the actual content, but the lag at which ArenaNet realizes and deals with missing basic components, and inherently wrong systems.

They have completely screwed up priorities.

It takes them months to implement almost mindbogglingly basic things like the titles displaying under the names. Things that should have been there since conception. Mistakes that only amateurs make.

These are ameteurish mistakes.

It’s like as if the team’s collective creativity and intelligence suffered some kind of a stroke and was reduced to the thinking capacity of a banana. Who knows why? Maybe some people who were crucial in the creaion of the original game already left? I do no know, I do not follow dev drama.

But very fact that a lot of basic things are still missing from the game and we, again, have to resort to 3rd party sites like gwlfg.com instead of having such things incorporated into the game… the very fact that for the developers it was not trivial that these things should be implemented is what speaks volumes of the game’s future.

It’s like only the creative department is still intact, because seemingly everyone else is doing a helluva poor job.

But popping out world events is not gonna save the game. You have to make big changes, or you can kiss the game goodbye. And you have to tell people about the upcoming changes, because with saying that you do not plan to make expansions, you just destroyed a humungous ammount of enthusiasm.

In case you did not know, that was what was keeping people here.
That maybe you will fix all this **** in a huge update in the for of an expansion.

And you killed that hope.
Nobody is buying the “this game will become GW2.5 and GW3”.
People are thinking that you were deprived of fiancial support and you simply have no money to make an expansion.

People know exactly how this industry works.

QFT. Screwed up priorities. Arrogant developers.

downed state is bad for PVP

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Content is OPEN PvE
Balance is PvP only (that broke pve long ago and now is getting really ridiculous)
WWW is a mess as always.

Many pve players play dungeons and fractals that only see nerfs in drop and annoying changes….

That is the problem of the game.
They should start to review PvE balance and the Defiant mechanic….when you see 27 stacks of defiant you see they really didn t look that much in balancing.

This says it well

Vayne

No..

I did not follow the hype or the fanboi ism, my fault maybe, but i left Anet to make GW2 themselves i followed the manifesto and purchased the game because i had faith in Arenanet after playing GW1 for many many years..

What we got in GW2 was a slap in the face to GW1 players and since then my faith in their company is virtually zilch, was it my fault i followed their marketing….yes it was, i had no reason to think they wouldn’t make a great second game like the first..

Now i know… and will not purchase anything else from this company, i believe the Gw1 Arenanet is not the GW2 Arenanet or has been changed so much it barely is the same..

As i said after seeing GW2 and its limited future.. If there ever is a GW3 or whatever, i will not buy it..

(edited by Dante.1508)

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

I’m enjoying GW2, but, IMO Guild Wars, Factions, Nightfall and Eye of the North was hundreds of times better.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: Assyrian.4827

Assyrian.4827

I think what Arena net thought that the things players like from GW1 are no subscription fee / lore.
nobody asked them so we may never know the true answer.

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

As i said after seeing GW2 and its limited future..

We will see about that.

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: Assyrian.4827

Assyrian.4827

We will see about that.

Three things are key to GW2 survival
1-improve loot/no more loot nerf.
2-improve the skill system.
3-do as what pvpers are asking for more game modes.

My thoughts about GW2

chronus.1326

We will see about that.

There isn’t much to see. Yesterday there was a livestream. About a new jumping puzzle. Nobody gave a kitty. 90% of the questions in the chat were about game features like GvG and Guild Halls. Thats what people care about. And the questions were deleted with draconic dictatorship.

“Only ask the irrevelant questions please!”

There is no direction where the direction matters. They have no idea what they are doing, or they are clinging to the skirt of their PR department because they are afraid of our reactions.

“Mommy what should I say now?”

I do not know what their agenda is, but it’s not saying anything good about them. Honest developers who care about the well being of their consumers come out and answer the questions that people care about, not treat their consumers like cattle and probe them in the rectum to see if they produce more or less milk on different probings.

In the past months, lots of things were added except for the things that literally everyone requested.

What is that kitten supposed to be, some kind of a dev egoism, or a fear that if they do what people ask for then people will just keep asking and asking for more and they they will not know where to pull the line? Well guess what, you pull the line wherever the kitten you want to. It’s not like you’ll be more arrogant with that than how arrogant you are right now by not even answering.

The common sense in these people are just completely missing.

Of course people whant GvG and Guild Halls. These are Guild Wars features. What the hell were they thinking when they did not put them in? Someone kittened up prioritoies in developement. Make that guy suffer the consequences and have him come out and say “I kittened it up, sorry!”.

That’s how karma works.

It’s gonna catch you either way. You, or your game.

When in the livestream the dev said something, just one thing at the end, I don’t recall what it was but it was important, he said that he would like to work on it, just that, nothing more, the chat was flooded with responses of “thank you”.

If they didn’t get the proper way to communicate with the fanbase after that, they will never get it.

(edited by chronus.1326)

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

You mean the common sense of people who were asking irrelevant questions on a livestream about a new guild puzzle? Yes it is missing, I logged for a little while during the livestream and I was annoyed by all those questions, they were deleted for a reason, you want to ask for other features, do it through proper means, the livestream was about the new guild puzzle and the guild puzzle alone, it just takes a little bit of common sense to understand what kind of question you should be making.

Draconic dictatorship? They were doing their job keeping the chat clean of irrelevant questions.

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: Miss Sugarific.8471

Miss Sugarific.8471

I agree. The longer you played, the better skills you could get in more harder to reach places. I liked that.

I understand that Anet wants to make GW2 equal to everyone… but the truth is, a game is much more fun if some people are better and some aren’t. xD Am I wrong? In GW1 this was the reason why the community was so great, because people helped each other. We had runners, mission runners, farmers, title farmers, and just everyone who helped anyone to get a mission, bonuses, elite skills etc.

My thoughts about GW2

Vayne.8563

Vayne

Snip

Snip

For instance, I never knew Ranger pets would be permanent…not after the beta’s nor after leveling to Orr lol. It just never occurred to me and I never stowed the pet because it was novel and new and I wanted to try it out. There’s no info for this stuff unless you look it up online or buy the manual, which takes time away from the game or money away from your wallet.
by the way, since when do manuals not come freely with games??

I knew about the skills being binded to weaps, and I wasn’t very happy about it. But I was willing to give it a shot because I trusted ANet to do it well. I would say they did an average job of it.

Did you know that attribute points were originally adjustable? Right up to before the first beta you could manually adjust those to a certain degree but they nixed it in an effort to keep any trinity-esque builds out of the game.

And the story, goodness the story!, I think we all thought this would be a strong point with ANet. It didn’t exactly turn out that way at all though.

I will say there were not many big things unexpected…but rather a ton of little things here and there and everywhere that individually don’t seem like much, but taken as a whole it’s different. It’s hard to define really, and I’m doing a lousy job of it, but there’s something that’s just really off about what I thought this game would be like. :/

I knew the pets would be permanent long before I bought the game. It’s the ranger’s profession mechanic. Without it, you’re kitten. There were many people who asked for a non pet option for ranger. It would be like asking for an elementalist option that doesn’t swap attunments. It can only kitten you.

And yes, I know how traits were originally. Do you know why they were changed, because Anet was very clear about the reasons for the change, and they were kitten good reasons. The way it used to be, everyone would always put 10 points in every trait line to get the most powerful trait they could in each trait line, meaning 80-90% of the playerbase has the exact same builds, with no variety. They changed it for two reasons. One to make people have to choose between one thing and another, and two, to give a sense of progression, which is quite missing from the game after level 30. Before, you could get any major trait as soon as you could get them. Now you have to wait till level 60. That sort of progression is important in an MMO and I think the choice to go this direction is better (particularly in the light of so many people putting 10 in each attribute to get the best major trait in each line).

And the story…well, the story in Guild Wars 1 wasn’t all that. I don’t know why people think the story was so great. Take Prophecies. People complained about Rurik. They hated him. A lot of people were happy he died. Anyone with half a brain new the white mantle was evil…why didn’t we? Are our characters that stupid? I knew Vizier Khilbron was a mistake too, why didn’t my character.

Do you think people didn’t complain as much about Komir as they did about Trahearne? Another NPC stealing our thunder. I can go through each story for each game and show you how bad those stories really were. It wasn’t exactly high literature.

And then, a good portion of the missions in Prophecies and Nightfall were strictly filler and were very bad, particularly in the design of some of the bonuses. I can give you examples if you really want.

But even with that, the story probably WAS better in Guild Wars 1. Why? Because the entire game was instanced, and it’s easy to tell a story in instances than the open world.

However, the world in Guild Wars 2 is far more alive than the world in Guild Wars 1. The conversations in places are much better than anything in Prophecies. A living world, to me, is far more important than a stagnant story I’m only really going to experience once.

My thoughts about GW2

chronus.1326

You mean the common sense of people who were asking irrelevant questions on a livestream about a new guild puzzle? Yes it is missing, I logged for a little while during the livestream and I was annoyed by all those questions, they were deleted for a reason, you want to ask for other features, do it through proper means, the livestream was about the new guild puzzle and the guild puzzle alone, it just takes a little bit of common sense to understand what kind of question you should be making.

Draconic dictatorship? They were doing their job keeping the chat clean of irrelevant questions.

That argument may hold up in court where the judges are the representatives of law, but not here in Babylon where the judges are the people whose comments were deleted.

Values only exist where people acknowledge them. That stream was interesting, but it had no acknowleged value next to the questions that people wanted to ask.

People wanted answers, they did not get them on the forums, they did not get them from mails. They used the closest medium in proximity where direct contact with the devs was avalable. Because they did not get their anaswers again, this further adds fuel to dissatisfaction.

And the story…well, the story in Guild Wars 1 wasn’t all that. I don’t know why people think the story was so great. Take Prophecies. People complained about Rurik. They hated him. A lot of people were happy he died. Anyone with half a brain new the white mantle was evil…why didn’t we? Are our characters that stupid? I knew Vizier Khilbron was a mistake too, why didn’t my character.

Who the hell cares about Rurik? Rukik was like 10% of the story. He dies at the end of the very first Arc. The story had the main villain (Vizier) trick you into allying with him so you can kill the good guys (the Mursaat) who are protecting the doomsday door so the villain can get his hands on the Titans. You worked on the bad side since you left Kryta. It was an awesome story.

(edited by chronus.1326)

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: Arkanon.7068

Arkanon.7068

A point I want to make is I see a lot of people complaining about GW2 on the forums, and the way they present their ideas and complaints is as if they speak for the majority of us playing the game, and that if their own personal list of dislikes isn’t addressed or changed to suit their own desires, it will be the end of gw2.

To be honest if half the things that the minority of the loudest whiners who complain were to get what they wanted implemented into GW2, the game would be a lot worse off for it “in my opinion”. I certainly would not play it if gear treadmills were introduced similar to other games such as WoW. I don’t want to play a WoW clone with better graphics. I want to play GW2 and the way this game is heading, I’m very optimistic for the future and am very happy with the direction GW2 is going at this time.

My thoughts about GW2

chronus.1326

A point I want to make is I see a lot of people complaining about GW2 on the forums, and the way they present their ideas and complaints is as if they speak for the majority of us playing the game, and that if their own personal list of dislikes isn’t addressed or changed to suit their own desires, it will be the end of gw2.

To be honest if half the things that the minority of the loudest whiners who complain were to get what they wanted implemented into GW2, the game would be a lot worse off for it “in my opinion”. I certainly would not play it if gear treadmills were introduced similar to other games such as WoW. I don’t want to play a WoW clone with better graphics. I want to play GW2 and the way this game is heading, I’m very optimistic for the future and am very happy with the direction GW2 is going at this time.

What does gear treadmills have to do with Guild Wars 1?

What I feel is that the people who are still defending this game (who I also see as a minority, since all my friends and everyone I know have already stopped playing) are the people who never played Guild Wars 1 and the only thing that they are afraid of is Guild Wars 2 becoming another WoW.

Guild Wars 1 was even farther away from WoW that this game is.
This game was a step towards WoW.

We are not really amused by your amusement. You feel improvement from quality0 to quality1, while we started out at quality7 and feel a loss of quality by an ammount of 6. And you are not getting it because you are satisfied with your “improvements” because you are afraid of loosing the litte impriovement that you got. But that little improvement is not an improvement to us, because it only made the game one inch better than the plethorea of games that we did not even have the taste to touch.

That’s what we feel.

If the game would be more like Guild Wars 1, in this open world system, with the dynamic events and so on, you would just like it even better. You just don’t know that because you cannot even imagine something that good.

(edited by chronus.1326)

My thoughts about GW2

Arkanon.7068

What I feel is that the people who are still defending this game (who I also see as a minority, since all my friends and everyone I know have already stopped playing) are the people who never played Guild Wars 1 and the only thing that they are afraid of is Guild Wars 2 becoming another WoW.

We are not really amused by your amusement. You feel improvement from quality0 to quality1, while we started out at quality7 and feel a loss of quality by an ammount of 6. And you are not getting it because you are satisfied with your “improvements” because you are afraid of loosing the litte impriovement that you got. But that little improvement is not an improvement to us, because it only made the game one inch better than the plethorea of games that we did not even have the taste to touch.

I played GW1 for a very long time so your whole post has become an assumption about me or others who enjoy GW2 having not played GW1 and is not correct. You’re exactly the type of person I was talking about in my post. You just make assumptions formed from your own limited perspective and think it applies to me or most people. Your small group of friends left the game so that means the game is in need of major change to what “you” would like it to be and too bad for the rest of us who do like it. Your rating quality scale is laugable and also subjective to you and has nothing to do with anyone else. Something you just pulled out of your kitten and think its fact.

I really could not care if you are not amused about my amusement. I don’t sit their playing GW2 with my rose tinted glasses on wishing it was like gw1. I have a much simpler solution for you to ponder. If you think GW1 is so much better, go re install it and play it instead. It will make you happier.

(edited by Arkanon.7068)

My thoughts about GW2

chronus.1326

You also cannot see the forest from the trees. It is not about wether the game pleases everyone or not. From your post, I guess I can gather that you did not like Guild Wars 1.

Then I can reverse the question back to you. Who the kitten baked potato do you think you are, that you have a higher right to be pleased by this franchise that us? Go and play with some other franchise that you liked, and let us have the continuation of the only kitten baked potato game in existence of its own kind.

You hijacked this franchishe, and now you claim it?

Guild Wars 1 is dead. It was killed by Guild Wars 2. You left us with nothing, for the sake of a slighly upgraded WoW, with some aftertaste of GW here and there.

Are you seriously arguing here, while all people were asking for GvG and Guild Houses. Do you hate GvG and Guild Houses? Did you hate them? If not, then repeat to me your problem. I do not think that you have any idea what you are even talking about. I do in fact believe that you have no ability to separate people who are GW1 players and WoW kiddies squeeling for mounts on sight. In fact, I’m beginning to doubt that you did not just pull it out of your kitten that you have ever played Guild Wars 1. This is the internet after all, you only had so say, right? And suddenly aaaal arguments are justifiiiiied.

Please, humour me, what are the aspects of Guild Wars 1 that you HATED so much, and which we are requesting right now.

Please, list all the things that we want back, and which you HATED.

Let us, and let the devs see all those 3 things that you hated, from our list of 2516.

And then let me show you how the addition of 90% of these things will absolutely not change your gameplay experience at all. It will just improve ours.

(edited by chronus.1326)

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I guess only time will tell who was right., then.

The only problem is that the effects of time are irreversible, my friend.

Wow someone with the name chronus is getting metaphysical about time. Who would have thunk it?

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

How about the simple truth that every single balance decision is made with PvP in mind? In GW1 they stopped going this – I don’t understand why they didn’t separate stuff here from the start. PvE will always be the largest segment of your playerbase (gaming demographics make this clear.) There’s a lot of money in the PvP world, but there’s not nearly as many customers. The difference is that broadly speaking, the hardcore types will spend more money – there’s just a lot more non-PvP types out there. (This explains why the majority of what’s in the Gem shop is targeted at PvE players – I just don’t get why they haven’t extended that to balance.)

As I pointed out in another thread, the PvP balance is essential, and I understand that. Imbalance matters more when playing against an organised team than when playing against AI. They should accept that the needs of PvP vs WvW/PvE are massively different, and split ALL the skill updates.

My thoughts about GW2

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

My common sense tells me that marketing which does not accurately describe, reflect, or portray the features and/or qualities of the product being marketed only serves to inflate the price of the product in order to pay for itself and therefore consumers who purchase products represented by such marketing are paying extra to be lied to.

The table is a fable.

My thoughts about GW2

Arkanon.7068

1. From your post, I guess I can gather that you did not like Guild Wars 1.

2. Who the kitten baked potato do you think you are, that you have a higher right to be pleased by this franchise that us?

3. Guild Wars 1 is dead. It was killed by Guild Wars 2. You left us with nothing, for the sake of a slighly upgraded WoW, with some aftertaste of GW here and there.

4. Are you seriously arguing here, while all people were asking for GvG and Guild Houses. Do you hate GvG and Guild Houses? Did you hate them? If not, then repeat to me your problem.

5. I do not think that you have any idea what you are even talking about. I do in fact believe that you have no ability to separate people who are GW1 players and WoW kiddies squeeling for mounts on sight. In fact, I’m beginning to doubt that you did not just pull it out of your kitten that you have ever played Guild Wars 1.

6. This is the internet after all, you only had so say, right? And suddenly aaaal arguments are justifiiiiied.

7. Please, humour me, what are the aspects of Guild Wars 1 that you HATED so much, and which we are requesting right now.

8. Please, list all the things that we want back, and which you HATED.

Let us, and let the devs see all those 3 things that you hated, from our list of 2516.

9. And then let me show you how the addition of 90% of these things will absolutely not change your gameplay experience at all. It will just improve ours.

1. I liked GW1. It’s why I pre ordered GW2 and participated in the BWE.

2. Me being pleased with GW2 and you not has nothing to do with “about whose right it is”. I simply enjoy the game and you don’t. Once again that is personal preference. The fact that you don’t like the game or don’t agree with me is not my problem sorry.

3. Please explain how “I have left you with nothing?” Also your opinion that GW2 is like an upgraded WoW is an opinion you have about GW2 and is not true actually. I mean it doesn’t have raids for a start and I could go on and on about how they are very different.

4a. Nope not arguing. Just being attacked by you because you didn’t agree with my post and feel the need to keep making up stories about me and here I am defending myself. You keep saying things as though the whole community agrees with you and when someone tells you they like the game and defend it, you have to get on your soap box and attack that person.

4b. No I do not hate GvG and Guild Houses. I like them and never said that I didn’t. I would like to see them also. See where this is going? More assumptions on your part. I think Anet will introduce those things but at this point they aren’t a major priority for them and believe they are right and focusing on other more important areas of the game.

5. Another assumption and completely false and made up. I don’t think you know what you are talking about either.

6. Ohh yeah totally man! I totally made it up because you are so important in my life that I feel I had to lie to you about having played GW1.

7. The humor is that I never said that “I hated GW1.” I only suggested that if you like GW1 and don’t like GW2, that wouldn’t it be logical for you to go and play GW1, a game which you ACTUALLY like to play instead of this one?

8. No need to. See 7. You are just making up stories about me. Saying things I never said.

9. I’m not against change and I am happy with what Anet has done so far.

See my original post was about people like you who assume they speak for everyone like its fact when in actuality you only speak for yourself. You never stop to think about anyone else.

You obviously feel that if this game is not changed to suit your vision of the game it is dead/dieing which is not what I see in the game at all. I see a thriving community of gamers who still enjoy this game from my perspective. Its still going strong.

You really need to learn to comprehend what is being said before you reply to people.