What is a Boon?

What is a Boon?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: poolman.7245

poolman.7245

maybe seem like a silly question to you, but what exactly is a Boon? Is it a buff? A kind of buff? What the hell is it?

What is a Boon?

Posted by: judeobscure.2537

judeobscure.2537

http://bit.ly/QJkvMs

you can also type /wiki (the thing you’re looking for) from the in-game chat and itll search and connect you to the appropriate gw2 wiki topic.

its hard to remember we’re alive for the first time
its hard to remember we’re alive for the last time

What is a Boon?

poolman.7245

I searched, still don’t fully understand, is why i’m asking. I read its a positive buff that counters negative buffs. I want laymans terms, not a link to google.

What is a Boon?

Posted by: Qelris.6901

Qelris.6901

Buffs are called boons in this game. They are status that grants you positive effects for a short duration.

I’m only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

What is a Boon?

Posted by: Rekia.1480

Rekia.1480

I think he was confused about what a “buff” is. It’s a positive status effect. Basically, anything that boosts your character (stats, health regen, magic find, etc.) for a temporary duration.

What is a Boon?

poolman.7245

I read they are positive effects for short duration, the counterpart to the negative conditions. They were created to replace enchantments from the original guild wars, and to simplify buffs. Is this correct?

If this is the correct definition, why use this word “Boon” to simplify buffs when you say it actualy replaces buffs? Why is this definition so humm… complacated? I just think they put way to much thought into it just to complicate the hell out of it for us. If a boon is a buff why not just define it that way rather then give us all this rubish? I thought an enchantment was just a type of buff anyways?

What is a Boon?

poolman.7245

Rekia: No, I undertsand what a buff is. just this strange idea of a boon and the way they define it throws me off.

What is a Boon?

poolman.7245

Also what throws me off in the definition is how they say “is the counterpart of the negative condition” Why put it that way? makes it seem as if the only way a positive condition will work if its actualy countering a negative buff of some sort. In reality a buff should have a counterpart of 0, or nutural not positive or negative start point, and yet thats not what the definition implys.

What is a Boon?

Posted by: Joriarty.4318

Joriarty.4318

Enchantment. Boon. Buff. Buffoon. Does it really matter? Them = good. Condition = bad.

What is a Boon?

Posted by: Mandrax.7342

Mandrax.7342

I’m not sure what you’re reading which is defining it in a way you don’t like, but I would say ignore that if it’s confusing you. It’s a buff. Plain and simple.

Boon = Buff
Condition = De-buff.

It’s the same as probably every other MMO out there, just slightly different terminology.

What is a Boon?

Posted by: Actracts.1389

Actracts.1389

“Buff” is considered a gamer slang for, as many of us should know, temporary/indefinitely raising specific character stats – thus it could be considered an informal term. I’m guessing GW is simply wanted a…technical and lore specific term, “Boon.”

^_^ Though I doubt we’ll see players running around anytime soon screaming, “Someone! Boon me – NOW!” /^_^

*I know, I know – GW isn’t the first people to call it a Boon, I remember Magic The Gathering referring to similar effects as Boons.

What is a Boon?

Posted by: Pants.8315

Pants.8315

They are counterparts to the conditions. Speed is counterpart to Cripple, Regeneration is Counterpart to conditional damage, Toughness is a counterpart to Weakness. Not all of the various condition/boon effects have counterparts, but a lot of them do.

What is a Boon?

poolman.7245

Pants: I understand what you mean to a degree. I know what a buff vs a debuff is. What i don’t like is how your saying a buff is countering its opisite effect when is reality its countering a nutural effect. And just as you put it not all buffs has a debuff. It the definition they created for boon thats just confusing. I want to slap the person who did it.